PDA

View Full Version : Can FS be used with a GiroZ counting system?

Mike Keely
2010.11.30, 09:09 PM
We use to use FS for our track but the Core box broke. FS is so much easier for us.

Action B
2010.11.30, 09:11 PM
We use to use FS for our track but the Core box broke. FS is so much easier for us.

I have a core box if you need. but I think giro-z is compatible but not sure.

pinwc4
2010.12.01, 09:39 AM
At this time Flip Side Software is not compatible with the Giroz. I would would like to add support but I will probably need to get access to the hardware to accomplish this.

yscheong
2010.12.04, 09:41 PM
I hope Flip Side can support Giro Z.

I have using core for few years, and with FS software.

Recently I have purchase a set of Giro Z for Pan car and F1 race purpose, my customer comment is the Giro Z is very quite and boring :D . No any announcement.....

pinwc4
2010.12.06, 07:30 PM
I do hope to accomplish this. One thing that would really help though is having access to the hardware.

If someone were willing to let me borrow the hardware for a week or so I should be able to get it working.

I-Lap
2010.12.07, 12:59 AM
I have a complete system we took as a trade-in that I can lend you.
It is the USB model and there are a bunch of transponders with it. I don't have any disk or drivers with it, but they should be easy to find.

Email me your address and I'll send it out.

Craig

pinwc4
2010.12.07, 10:08 AM
I have a complete system we took as a trade-in that I can lend you.
It is the USB model and there are a bunch of transponders with it. I don't have any disk or drivers with it, but they should be easy to find.

Email me your address and I'll send it out.

Craig

Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated. I sent you an email

I-Lap
2010.12.07, 02:41 PM
Mailed the box out today.

Something to consider going into this is the limited transponders. Unlike other systems where they are unique, Giro-Z is only 1 through 24 and are typically used as house loaners.

For small groups it may be possible to assign each racer a number, otherwise the software will need to be able to assign a house loaner before each race.

pinwc4
2010.12.07, 03:17 PM
Mailed the box out today.

Something to consider going into this is the limited transponders. Unlike other systems where they are unique, Giro-Z is only 1 through 24 and are typically used as house loaners.

For small groups it may be possible to assign each racer a number, otherwise the software will need to be able to assign a house loaner before each race.

Awesome, thanks for the quick work on that, this will help tremendously.

You do have a very good point about the transponder id's. But I have started to work out a method to allow sharing within the software. The next release will include the ability to have multiple racers with the same transponder id. Only 1 racer with the shared transponder can be enabled at a time so when you switch it all you have to do is go to the edit racers screen and click enable for the racer that now has the transponder. So far in my testing it works well. In fact the build I recently emailed you about has this functionality in it already.

This will allow for loaners and for people to share there cars with guests but allow the guests to have there own id and results. I probably have a little more tweaking to do but it is close to complete.

Action B
2010.12.07, 05:18 PM
Awesome, thanks for the quick work on that, this will help tremendously.

You do have a very good point about the transponder id's. But I have started to work out a method to allow sharing within the software. The next release will include the ability to have multiple racers with the same transponder id. Only 1 racer with the shared transponder can be enabled at a time so when you switch it all you have to do is go to the edit racers screen and click enable for the racer that now has the transponder. So far in my testing it works well. In fact the build I recently emailed you about has this functionality in it already.

This will allow for loaners and for people to share there cars with guests but allow the guests to have there own id and results. I probably have a little more tweaking to do but it is close to complete.

As expected! A great feature if all goes well!

Mike Keely
2010.12.24, 08:07 AM
Any thoughts that it is possible?

pinwc4
2010.12.27, 01:56 PM
Any thoughts that it is possible?

It is possible but I am not sure if I will need to see the data from all 24 different transponder id's to accomplish it.

Craig from I-Lap was kind enough to loan me the hardware and 4 transponders. From what I have figured out so far the lap counter sends raw information to the computer and the computer decodes the information to determine the id. This is very different from any other lap counter, all the others send a packet of information that includes the specific id.

From the 4 transponders I have I have not been able to figure out an algorithm that would decode the data properly for all 4 of the ones I have. This leads me to wonder if I need to know the unique data stream that each id would generate and have that in the program to compare against.

Now that I know what I am looking for I could write a program to collect the data I need if other people have a lot of transponders that they could sample from.

I-Lap
2010.12.28, 01:44 PM
I had no idea it worked like that, so I only sent you the 4 transponders.
I also have 7 more, numbers 3,4,5,7,10,12,23 if you need them.

You may want to contact Jesus, the author of ZRound, to see if he can shed any light on this.

Craig

pinwc4
2010.12.28, 09:00 PM
Thanks, I will try contacting him first.

Yeah I did not expect the serial data to look like that at all. There probably is a way to calculate the id it is just not obvious from the data I am getting from the 4 I have.

pinwc4
2010.12.30, 07:59 PM
I had no idea it worked like that, so I only sent you the 4 transponders.
I also have 7 more, numbers 3,4,5,7,10,12,23 if you need them.

You may want to contact Jesus, the author of ZRound, to see if he can shed any light on this.

Craig

It looks like I need to take you up on this offer. I talked some with Jesus and while he did not know the exact details of the communication it did help me look at the data in an entirely different way.

The data does appear to be timing data representing the frequency, but the frequencies appear to follow an exponetial curve that I will need to calculate. More transponders will help me get a more accurate equation for this.

I appreciate you letting me borrow this equipment.

pinwc4
2011.01.25, 10:29 AM
So is anyone good with math that could help me. I figured out an equation that translate the timing values to IDs, it was a ln based curve so it was pretty easy to calculate.

This works well when just 1 transponder is detected but if 2 or more are under the bridge at the same time all the timing values are mixed together. I can manually look at the data and see how it could be split apart in each case to get the individual timing values for the transponders but I do not know a good mathmatical method to split this data back apart. The timing data for the transponders is staggered so that you will not get any 2 transponders that would be a harmonic of each other so the timing values.

Is there anyone that could help me with this data?

pinwc4
2011.02.26, 05:03 PM
OK, I think I got this figured out. I have been testing with multiple transponders under the bridge and it is separating the signals properly. I have a new release out now, version 0.56, and it includes this first attempt at Giro-Z support.

Ultimately I just went with a brute force method of calculating a bunch of variations of the signal instead of using any advanced signal analysis. But even on my old Pentium M laptop the CPU usage stays low even with a constant stream of data if the transponders are just sitting under the bridge.

Get the latest version at http://www.flipsideracing.org