PDA

View Full Version : Which MR03 Metal 4th Servo Gear is Best?

Felix2010
2010.12.05, 11:08 PM
I need to get a couple Metal MR-03 4th Servo Gears. There are 3 I see on the market now:

- Atomic HP Composite Servo Gear for MR-03, part# MR3-025;
- PN Racing MR-03 7075-Aluminum 4th Servo Gear, with Hard Coating, part# MR3056M;
- Kyosho Metal 4th Servo Gear for MR03

Are any of these better than the other? Any of these not-so-great?

Thanks in advance for the info:)

EMU
2010.12.06, 02:24 AM
I have only used the Kyosho gear, which I believe is brass. It feels a bit heavy, which makes me interested in the ATM and PN offerings. The ATM is half aluminum and half steel from what I gather, the smaller teeth are steel, larger teeth aluminum. I assume that this is for durability reasons, although I would think that aluminum should be strong enough for this application.

I plan to get one of each, ATM and PN... although, Im in no rush to do so... but would like to make sure that I dont have another servo gear fail on me...

color01
2010.12.06, 08:21 AM
Any one of those should be tougher than the stock one and thus sufficient -- with the correct ICS settings I haven't even been able to break the stock plastic one, I only have the PN gear because it was a testing prototype. That proto gear has yet to fail on me so the anodized production gears should be no problem whatsoever.

Felix2010
2010.12.07, 07:56 PM
PN always makes quality stuff, I like the old PN MR02 delrin servo gears... I will probably go PN for the 03 metal servo gear. It is preciseness of mesh that I am most concerned with. I know Kyosho's metal servo gear will have perfect mesh so I thought I'd just go Kyosho. But I forgot how good the PN 02 Delrin servo gears are.... Weight is secondary to me. If the gear doesn't have slippery-smooth precision and gear mesh then it doesn't matter to me if it is super light, etc.. I am looking for the best steering that's all.

I would just like to swap-out the OEM servo gears for metal gears so that I don't have to worry about mine breaking at the worst possible time (As things always seem to do)...:eek:

Thanks for the help EMU and color0:D

EMU
2010.12.07, 08:09 PM
I broke my servo gear after the final race of a points series. I was tied for the lead, so we were getting set for a 3 minute 1v1 shootout, and it let go 30 seconds before we were going to start. I went to a backup MR02, but it had an illegal motor in it, so I handed the win away :rolleyes: That sort of worst possible time? ;)

PNracing
2010.12.07, 11:19 PM
We will release Full Set Delrin Servo gear soon including servo motor gear. On testing now.

Felix2010
2010.12.08, 12:55 AM
I broke my servo gear after the final race of a points series. I was tied for the lead, so we were getting set for a 3 minute 1v1 shootout, and it let go 30 seconds before we were going to start. I went to a backup MR02, but it had an illegal motor in it, so I handed the win away :rolleyes: That sort of worst possible time? ;)

Exactly why I need to replace my servo gears in all my 03's....;)

Just wondering, kind of Off-Topic here, but I am wondering if servo gear breakage was ever a problem with the 02? I know the MR01 lacked a servo saver; Once the servo saver was invented for the 02, did anyone ever have a problem breaking servo gears on their 02's??

Philip - Thanks for the info my good man. I will be looking for the complete set of servo gears when they come out. I don't NEED to get the 4th servo gears' replaced right away in my 03's, so swapping-in all-delrin PN precision sevo gear sets + PN orange hard-coated 4th metal servo gears is what sounds like the thing I'ma do when they're available...

SaiTam
2010.12.13, 12:11 AM
I have not broken any MR-03 servo gears since the car came out; and I have 5 MR-03s. However, I have changed the 4th gear in each car to Atomic gear for the peace of mind. No problem to report. I have driven other MR03s with PN/Kyosho gears I couldn't tell a difference.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/dealerxing/Atomic%20Demo/IMG_0319.jpg

moz
2010.12.13, 01:11 AM
PNRacing 4th gear made by 7075 allu:)...should be no issue on the 4th gear ever again...:D...but can the 3rd gear last longer?that will be an issue later...and I hope not..currently I'm using Kyosho metal n PNRacing 4th gears....FYI,I broke 2 cars on standard gears..I think the gear pin is the major problem on this issue

greenepa76
2010.12.27, 12:45 AM
Took about 10 months to break my stock gear with daily use at work. Some of the other guys broke them in less than a month. I replaced it with the Kyosho one that I picked up as a spare when it first came out. I'll think about a spare alum one soon or a full delrin set from PN if that comes out before I break the gear on my 2nd MR03. Ideally, the lighter gear would work better in a larger scale, but is it really noticeable when the brass gear doesn't weigh much anyways?

Tjay
2010.12.27, 01:04 AM
I haven't break my servo gear but I was told to switch to metal gear to get even more precision steering on my 03. After the change, I didn't notice any difference... A week later, I took the car with the metal gear next to the car with plastic gear. Both looked very identical in steering movement. I then removed my metal servo gear to plastic and they still looked identical in movement while bench testing (bounded in one tx). I took the car on the track and results are still the same. Benefit? No chance of breaking the 4th servo gear. Performance gain? None.

For something like this, I'd recommend to stick with Japan parts, Kyosho.

greenepa76
2010.12.27, 03:01 AM
Great answer! Someone actually tested this. Thanks Tjay!
I'll get my 2nd Kyosho spare when I head over to Kenon for some track time since I have the rest of the week off! I like the made in Japan parts also.
Gotta get my mini-z fix!