PDA

View Full Version : NEO Mags

kwsmith29
2010.12.15, 10:54 PM
Does anyone know? Why is there a chrome or metallic covering over a neo mag? Can they be used if the coating has came off? Are neo mags cobalt?

My reason for asking..

I have a few older Atomic T motors and was going to use the set ups for something a little different. When I dis assembly them the coating on the mags were bubbled and coming off.

Thanks,
Wade

Draconious
2010.12.18, 02:26 PM
Does anyone know? Why is there a chrome or metallic covering over a neo mag? Can they be used if the coating has came off? Are neo mags cobalt?

My reason for asking..

I have a few older Atomic T motors and was going to use the set ups for something a little different. When I dis assembly them the coating on the mags were bubbled and coming off.

Thanks,
Wade

The NEO magnets are, or are supose to be, made from a material called Neodymium. This material is pretty much a compressed powder... the plating, wich is usually nickle, keeps the magnet in one piece. Cheaper magnets will have very thin fragile coating/platings. This will peal off, or even buckle under its own magnetic force. The magnets I was selling way back when, have yet to do this after sitting for at least 5+ years.

If you have magnets that are pealing off... they prolly should not be used. However, if it is just tiny little bubbles... you can likely still get away with it, but expect powder to slip away from the magnet and get into your bearings. The magnets could also be cracked or broken, wich messes with the magnetic poles in the magnet...

Since they are powder based it is very comon for neodymium magnets to destroy themselves if you let them use their own super strength slam themselves into each other.

The shop here, has the remainder of my stock, just not listed on the store database yet... they can be purchased if you email the shop, with a support number etc...

I still love neodymium magnets, just as much as the mythbusters do. ;) They are great for many things...

kwsmith29
2010.12.18, 09:55 PM
Thanks..

Wade