PDA

View Full Version : Version 0.53 of Flip Side Racing software available

pinwc4
2010.12.16, 12:05 PM
Version 0.53 of Flip Side Racing software is available.

There are a few things that will be of particular interest to you. First I have added the ability for the software to email the results of a race after the race is complete. This can be configured to send results to admins and/or racers for any race or just the mains. Obviously your computer will need to have Internet access for this to work and you will need to provide the correct email settings. I have tested this with my gmail and my flipsidehobbies email accounts and it has worked. If your email provider provides encrypted SMTP access I would suggest using those settings.

Secondly I have added the ability to have multiple cars with the same UID. This will allow you to share cars (or transponders). Only 1 racer with a shared UID can be enabled at any point in time. The software will automatically disable any other racers that are sharing that UID. You can enable/disable racers on the edit racers screen using the Enabled column in the list box (this will automatically save) or by selecting a racer and then checking enabled on the left pane of settings and then saving. This will also allow people to share cars but not have to rename and rename back and the guests will not have there lap times show up as the person who owns the car.

Another thing of interest is that the I-Lap and Robitronic hardware are now using the hardware timer for lap times instead of the computers timer. This means that they have a 0.001 second resolution for lap times. I have added a new setting on the general config screen to control the accuracy of the lap times. The default setting is automatic which will decide the accuracy based on the lap counter hardware type but will also allow you to override the setting. The Core and Kyosho lap counters automatic setting remains 0.01 second resolution. The HFAY export will round any results to the nearest 0.01 second resolution but the web report will use the selected accuracy.

In addition to this there are many other minor changes and performance improvements. You can see the main ones in the release notes here:
Release Notes (http://www.flipsideracing.org/projects/fslapcounter/wiki/ReleaseNotes)

Go to the Flip Side Racing website to download the latest release:
Flip Side Racing (http://www.flipsideracing.org/projects/fslapcounter/)

I welcome any feedback. If you find any bugs please let me know.

Racer-HH
2010.12.18, 06:03 AM
Gave the new version a try yesterday. Overriding the setting automatic and or / 0.01 secs with 0.001 secs worked for the IC-Tag. Is that right?

The other changes as enabling e.g. worked fine. Most notably was the quicker start-up and slower close down of the software on my rather old PC.

Keep up the good work.

pinwc4
2010.12.18, 10:46 AM
Gave the new version a try yesterday. Overriding the setting automatic and or / 0.01 secs with 0.001 secs worked for the IC-Tag. Is that right?

The other changes as enabling e.g. worked fine. Most notably was the quicker start-up and slower close down of the software on my rather old PC.

Keep up the good work.

Yes you can override the automatic setting for the Kyosho IC tag lap counter and set it to 0.001 seconds. But this does not mean it will be that accurate, it will just display the times to the 0.001.

Yeah, closing the software is slower now. When the application is closing I am having it clean up the database some to help with the speed of the application overall. I will probably change this in the future as I work on a better method.

Thanks for the feedback.

Racer-HH
2010.12.19, 03:34 AM
Do you mind explaining the accuracy / inaccuracy issue with 0.01 to 0.001 secs for the IC Tag?
And: Does the inaccuracy of the 0.001 sec times include the 10th or 100th secs, too, when going with 3 digits? Or are they still accurate and only the 1000th sec is inaccurate?

Concerning the enabling part: is it possible to change the enable ID without closing the running session, e.g. free play? Right now I don't find another solution than that.

Looking forward to your answers and will keep trying and testing meanwhile.

pinwc4
2010.12.19, 07:50 PM
Do you mind explaining the accuracy / inaccuracy issue with 0.01 to 0.001 secs for the IC Tag?
And: Does the inaccuracy of the 0.001 sec times include the 10th or 100th secs, too, when going with 3 digits? Or are they still accurate and only the 1000th sec is inaccurate?

Concerning the enabling part: is it possible to change the enable ID without closing the running session, e.g. free play? Right now I don't find another solution than that.

Looking forward to your answers and will keep trying and testing meanwhile.

I guess accuracy would not be the right way to describe it. The timing itself is that accurate but maybe the better term I am referring to is resolution.

With the IC Tag lap counter you will never get 2 lap times that are any where near 1/1000th of a second between them. The RFID technology used by the lap counter is the limiting factor. When it is running it is constantly polling for RFID tags. Ignoring any processing done the polling itself takes 2 ms (2/1000th of a second) to transmit. Then if there is a tag in the field at the time it will take it 4 ms to transmit its response. While this is going on no other tags can be read, the reader can only poll 1 tag at a time. So ignoring any processing done by the reader or tag we are already at 6 ms (6/1000th) of time consumed in one poll. Now they could have optimized this some but I do not see any way they would have gotten it below 5 ms for polling intervals (for reference the TI module used by Core can only do polling at about 10ms and TI's replacement module is only slightly faster when customized for speed). I do not know the specifics of how the IC Tag lap counter works so my information is based on the RFID standard itself that they are complying with. So no matter what the IC Tag lap counter is slower than what I am estimating because there is processing time in addition to the communication the RFID standard defines.

So while the software internally will calculate the times accurately to 1/1000th of a second (1 ms) you will not have 2 cars be able to be detected at less than 5-10 ms between them because of the amount of time it takes to poll for a car. I hope that makes more sense.

In regards to being able to enable racers during a free play session that is a good question. Right now that is not possible, I will have to come up with some way to allow that. I may just allow access to the edit racers screen while a free play session is running. The reason access is blocked during a race is because editing and saving racers could interfere with the timing operations. But during a free play session this is not critical like it is for the other race types.

Racer-HH
2010.12.20, 03:20 AM
Thank you for the explanation. I guess I will stick to the automatic format then and not override it with the new 1ms-resolution.

As for the mentioned enabling/disabling of cars in a running free-play session I want to add, that this is more a theoretical question that came up while testing the new functions. Every racer has its own unique ID (dnano or Robitronic (the later still untested)) at our club so it is definitly not a must-have feature.

pinwc4
2011.01.03, 01:27 PM
So any other feedback on this release?

Has anyone else had a chance to use the email feature? Did it work as expected?

I imagine not many people have had a chance to try this release out yet with the holidays but if you did try out any of the new features and encountered any issues please let me know.

briankstan
2011.01.03, 01:51 PM
So any other feedback on this release?

Has anyone else had a chance to use the email feature? Did it work as expected?

I imagine not many people have had a chance to try this release out yet with the holidays but if you did try out any of the new features and encountered any issues please let me know.

I used this release last week, it operated as expected. I didn't have a chance to test out the email part.

As always we appreciate your work with this program. I don't think I've used the core program since you released the flipside software. :D

We are headed to Wyoming for a race in a couple of weeks, we'll be using your software there as well. I'm still waiting for the race management portion, but understand that it's complex and will be released when it's ready. Keep up the good work.

BrianMidnight
2011.01.13, 06:55 PM
What "should" happen when test is clicked?

pinwc4
2011.01.13, 07:08 PM
What "should" happen when test is clicked?

If everything is working properly with the email setup you should receive an email at the address you define as the from address. The subject is "Test from Flip Side Racing Software" with a body of "This is a test message to verify your email settings".

If you did not receive that email after clicking test then something might be wrong with the settings.

Or also check your junkmail filter it could have caught the message.

BrianMidnight
2011.01.13, 07:58 PM
Used the wrong password:o. Now working...... "This is fab!!!"
How do I get the email to have our club logo on it ? "Generate Report" has our club logo on it but not the email just the Flipside crossed flags.

pinwc4
2011.01.13, 08:33 PM
Used the wrong password:o. Now working...... "This is fab!!!"
How do I get the email to have our club logo on it ? "Generate Report" has our club logo on it but not the email just the Flipside crossed flags.

Glad to hear you got it working, you might be the first to try it out other than me as I have not heard from anyone else. I think a lot of clubs will like the option once they figure it out though.

As for changing the image included I do not have a way for it to be done yet. It was part of the original plan as I wanted the email to be an exact duplicate of the html race report but I could not get the club logo to show in the email. So I put a placeholder in for now until I can come up with a good way to make it configurable.

briankstan
2011.01.17, 12:19 PM
is there a way to send a manual email. so you can select the race you want to email and hit send vs. it just sending an email for every finished race.

pinwc4
2011.01.18, 10:24 AM
is there a way to send a manual email. so you can select the race you want to email and hit send vs. it just sending an email for every finished race.

Not currently, it had not really crossed my mind. I focused on the automated aspect of it. Maybe I could add an Email Report button under the Generate Report button.

As for the automated settings it can be configured slightly so it is not sending out for all races. If your race profiles are set to have practices, heats (qualifiers) and mains then you can set the email function to only send out reports for mains, or send out for anything but a practice.

Most people probably have not bothered with the round type setting on the race config screen as it has not really served much purpose until now.

briankstan
2011.01.18, 12:01 PM
Not currently, it had not really crossed my mind. I focused on the automated aspect of it. Maybe I could add an Email Report button under the Generate Report button.

As for the automated settings it can be configured slightly so it is not sending out for all races. If your race profiles are set to have practices, heats (qualifiers) and mains then you can set the email function to only send out reports for mains, or send out for anything but a practice.

Most people probably have not bothered with the round type setting on the race config screen as it has not really served much purpose until now.

I know lots of people need to disable their wireless on the laptops while running races and in some instances won't have wifi at their race location, but would have it later on. The way it is now there is no way to send the email after the race is completed if there isn't access.

A send email button on the side similar to the HFAY export button would be great. then you can just have it use the selection from the config page. Also is the enable check box under racers for toggling the email on and off? or is that to enable the tag from reading or not reading?

thanks.

pinwc4
2011.01.18, 12:25 PM
I know lots of people need to disable their wireless on the laptops while running races and in some instances won't have wifi at their race location, but would have it later on. The way it is now there is no way to send the email after the race is completed if there isn't access.

A send email button on the side similar to the HFAY export button would be great. then you can just have it use the selection from the config page. Also is the enable check box under racers for toggling the email on and off? or is that to enable the tag from reading or not reading?

thanks.

That is a good point, with the button then they can send them later when they have Internet access. Rearranging the controls slightly on the statistics screen seems to be the best option. Though I think I would have the button send the email no matter what race type it is. I think we can be certain that if you click that button you want it to send an email. So if you know that you do not have internet access during races you can leave the race report option to None so it will not try to automatically send emails but you can manually send them later.

The enable check box for racers enables/disables them for races. It will not impact the email. If that racer were currently disabled but was in the race you are sending an email for it will still send the email to them.

The purpose of the enable check box is so that there can be multiple racers with the same UID(tag, transponder number etc.). Only 1 racer with a particular UID can be enabled at a time. This is so people can loan there cars, have guest cars etc. and the other person will have there own racer id instead of there results showing up for the original person.

briankstan
2011.01.18, 01:00 PM
thanks for the info on the enable check box.

Re: the email button. Does it only send the email out to the races that are in the race and the admin, depending on the setting? We just got back form the annual Wyoming race that we attend. We used the flipside software (everyone, really likes it) and my laptop. I had to generate the reports and then email them to the host so they had record of them. It would have been cool to do if from the Flipside software just by selecting the race and hitting an email button, also since they weren't part of the racing field they wouldn't have received it unless I added them to the Admin list and had it set to email Admin? is this correct? All this is assuming we had wifi access to work correctly. there wasn't wifi so the manual email option would have been a great addition so I could have emailed them when I was back at the hotel with internet access.

I'll have to play around with it some.

pinwc4
2011.01.18, 01:53 PM
thanks for the info on the enable check box.

Re: the email button. Does it only send the email out to the races that are in the race and the admin, depending on the setting? We just got back form the annual Wyoming race that we attend. We used the flipside software (everyone, really likes it) and my laptop. I had to generate the reports and then email them to the host so they had record of them. It would have been cool to do if from the Flipside software just by selecting the race and hitting an email button, also since they weren't part of the racing field they wouldn't have received it unless I added them to the Admin list and had it set to email Admin? is this correct? All this is assuming we had wifi access to work correctly. there wasn't wifi so the manual email option would have been a great addition so I could have emailed them when I was back at the hotel with internet access.

I'll have to play around with it some.

That is correct it only sends out the email to races in the race and/or admins depending on the setting. The Admin list can be multiple addresses separated by a comma (in the next version this will work, it does not with 0.53).

Even with the manual email button it will send the results to just racers and/or admins based on what you have set. I have went ahead and added this button and code for the next release.

briankstan
2011.01.18, 02:39 PM
sounds good, thanks. :)