PDA

View Full Version : Are aluminum parts worth the upgrade?

mdowney
2010.12.20, 04:54 AM
I have picked up a bunch of PN aluminum parts but I'm hesitating to install them because I'm worried about weight. Do the fast guys run aluminum parts? Are they worth it or just bling?

I'm just starting out and running a stock MR-03 US Spec kit on large RCP track, in case that factors in.

Racer-HH
2010.12.20, 10:54 AM
First off, alu parts look niiiccceee! :D

Performance wise it is a fair point, that they add weight to the chassis. But this is not neccessarily a bad thing, especially if you run hot motors.

In my opinion motor mounts and knuckles are a must have in aluminium, where as parts like battery clips are a no-go for me.

In general: just look out at your track what other people are using and tune step by step, so you have a comparison what changed and what you like.

hrdrvr
2010.12.20, 11:12 AM
For me, if I can get a plastic part to work, then I use it. Some plastic things like motor mounts just don't perform as well. They arent as stiff where a DDS or top shock would mount, and proper gear mesh is difficult.

yasuji
2010.12.20, 12:47 PM
I have picked up a bunch of PN aluminum parts but I'm hesitating to install them because I'm worried about weight. Do the fast guys run aluminum parts? Are they worth it or just bling?

I'm just starting out and running a stock MR-03 US Spec kit on large RCP track, in case that factors in.

there is very little stock plastic parts that i use on my cars...mr02 or mro3..
kyosho chassis,kyosho chassis small parts kit, and mr02 front spring cups/stroke limiters everything else is pnr parts
i dont care as much how they look... it is how they perform!

dxm2
2010.12.20, 02:52 PM
Aluminum knuckles and Motor mounts are "essentials" for MR02 and MR03 cars for me. Those the first parts to be replaced.
Also for MR03, I like the aluminum front suspension arms, but I hear the Reflex and Atomic plastic arms are fine.
After that would be lug nuts, but a lot of guys run the stock lug nuts without issue.

I've never had a set of aluminum battery covers and would be doubtful they are a major factor in wining any races.

Oddly enough, if you had asked about a AWD mini-z, I would say the more aluminum the better! The stock AWD is amazingly fragile.......

mdowney
2010.12.20, 05:45 PM
ok good to know. I guess I'll go ahead an dinstall the R246 motor mount and the PN low down knuckles that I picked up.

On that last bit - when you use the RR extra long kingpins and install the low down sprints on top of the knuckle do you still need to keep the stock springs on the inside or do the new springs take their place?

EMU
2010.12.20, 06:08 PM
I use a super soft spring in the stock position (basically to keep the arms in constant contact with the knucle (or shims)), with a low down soft/medium spring over the kingpins, with a little bit of droop on the outside springs.

dxm2
2010.12.20, 07:06 PM
Hi Emu,

I was thinking about your use of inside and on-top springs. It almost sounds like it is a "dual rate" spring, i.e. that the inside spring takes the first part of the travel and then the heavier spring soaks up the second part of the travel. Great idea!

mdowney
2010.12.20, 08:22 PM
I use a super soft spring in the stock position (basically to keep the arms in constant contact with the knucle (or shims)), with a low down soft/medium spring over the kingpins, with a little bit of droop on the outside springs.

Thanks! How do I measure/adjust droop on the outside springs?

unearthed name
2010.12.20, 09:02 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5169/5236781033_60f37767e9_z.jpg

the knuckle and motor mount is a must. the a-arm as well, since they are much stiffer and give you more stable performance imo.

Skv012a
2010.12.21, 12:12 AM
Alloy parts wise- whatever is ACTIVE, better have it in alloy for durability, else stock is fine. So knuckles and maybe front tower bars are almost a must, tie-rod might as well be added to the list but I feel its not as top priority, everything else is maybe/not necessary. GOOD aftermarket motor mounts, well, only come in aluminum, so they're a default addition to the list. Else keep it stock and light.

EMU
2010.12.21, 12:14 AM
Thanks! How do I measure/adjust droop on the outside springs?

First I see where the ride height is without the side springs. Then I install the side springs. I put the car on a car stand (wheels off ground). I see how much space the spring has before it bottoms out. I use an MR02 suspension limiter, and preload spacers to adjust the preload/droop of the outside springs. On high speed tracks, I increase preload a bit more to reduce body roll.

Even if you preload the outside shocks completely, since there are two sets of springs, you can fine tune the spring rate a little more than you can with a single set of springs. I am currently running this setup on my LM car, and it works very well. I have great corner entry that I would have with soft springs, mid corner and exit that I would have with a stiffer spring.

Its kind of trial and error, but once you find a good inner spring, then its all tuning the outer spring for your setup. I use the ATM super soft springs for the inner spring, and PN AWD Pro II low down springs for the outer spring.