PDA

View Full Version : PN world cup setups?

vesahyp
2010.12.22, 07:37 AM
Hi,

I remember seeing some setup sheets for winners of some race events. Does anyone have any links to share? Especially interested in setups that were used in the pn racing world cup 2010 stock class. I'd be very grateful, thanks!

Davey G
2010.12.22, 11:10 AM
Here is what I ran at the MHS regional this year.

chad508
2010.12.22, 11:23 AM
davey i see you were running a 03 double a arm. any info on it? date it may be available

PNracing
2010.12.22, 12:04 PM
davey i see you were running a 03 double a arm. any info on it? date it may be available

Chad, the A arm just in stock today, we working on packing and instruction link, hope will be release tomorrow.

chad508
2010.12.22, 12:23 PM
wow. ask and yeh shall recieve. cant wait to check this out.

Traveler
2010.12.22, 01:24 PM
Didn't realize DaveyG was running an 03 at that race. Thought he and Chad Nelson were both running 02s.

EMU
2010.12.22, 02:37 PM
Johnny Themolis was running an 02. That could have been the mix up.

Traveler
2010.12.22, 02:38 PM
Seeing DaveyG's detailed setup sheet was nice. Wish more top racers would post them.

geeunit1014
2010.12.23, 03:22 AM
My setup from the PN World Cup - I finished 2nd (also had fastest lap)

MR03 gold terminal chassis, F430gt body, 94mm, Reflex Lexan wing cut to 43mm

Front:
Reflex long kingpin suspension, pn white spring, kyosho 5K grease, 0 droop
Reflex tower (camber) bar, set to 2* camber, and 2* castor.
0 offset front wheels, pn 8* slicks trued to 22mm, ca on sidewall

Rear:
Reflex Damper Disk System
No top shock
Red bottom spring, green top spring, losi 40wt oil on damper plates
Kyosho med. carbon t-plate
PN V4 motor pod, #1 high axle holder
Kyosho 20 radials trued to slicks, 1mm Offset wheels

PN 70t handout, 51/13 gear, R1 750s.

vesahyp
2010.12.23, 03:42 AM
Thanks guys, this is good stuff. Even though i drive an 02 i really appreciate seeing what types of setups in terms of front vs. back spring strengths and wheelbase pros drive. Also good to see a rear top shock isn't necessary as i didn't see any improvement with it installed.

I'll be making adjustments one by one to try and get the car to handle as i like (still currently a bit understeery but very manageable). I'll probably still be tuning it this time next year :D

For the sake of it my setup in is along these lines:

MR02 ASF, Mclaren GTR body, 98mm

Front:
Double a-arm suspension, 2* camber, .9* caster, 1*ish camber gain
Some droop (equal on both sides), preloaded (no idea about mm) softer-than-comes-with-the-package springs (atomic yellow/whites i think) with limited travel so wheels don't hit the body
0* toe out
2 offset wheels, pn 8* narrows with tread (starting to wear out but seem to work even better once they're warm)
sway bar (don't know which one, will try removing next)

Rear
Atomic variable width damper system with blue springs on top/below
PN soft (not the soft-soft, but just soft) t-plate
3* offset wheels, trp soft foams
PN 94-98mm motor pod (at 98mm obviously), as much clearance as the settings allow (still not much with that body)

Drivetrain/motor
PN 70t
Atomic precision ball diff set to pretty tight
64p gearing with 52/13
Orion 750 SHOs

hrdrvr
2010.12.23, 08:04 AM
I only use a top shock if I'm using a very soft T-plate that wont hold the car level.

I am not a "top" driver, and my set ups didn't fair very well at the world finals. I didn't have time to chase the track, and I suffered for it. I won't bore you with my PN set ups :D

I will give a little advice for what I would try and do to get your car a little less pushy. First off, if you were to switch to a Mosler, you would probably see a better balanced car without many other changes. The McL GTR has a lot of overhang front and rear. It makes for a lot of mass to get rotating, and with the rear overhang as long as it is, it just keeps a lot of weight on the rear. If you are set on this body, you may consider trimming the rear some. I think there are some good shots of color01's trimmed McL GTR floating around, but its been a while since he posted them.

I think removing the sway bar will help. I didn't much care for running them on my A-Arm car. Also, you may want to try loosening the diff a tad (if it is set tight). If it is not being allowed to slip it will cause push, or loss of rear traction once it breaks free. Basically the rear wheels need to be able to turn at separate speeds to get through corners efficiently. On a tight diff with high grip rear tires, the car just won't rotate proper, and with less traction tires, one of the wheels will break free from traction.

geeunit1014
2010.12.23, 07:09 PM
Nothing wrong with the 02, Chad was just fine with it at the PNWC, he TQ'd and won stock with it (he does have an 03 board)

Probably the biggest thing in stock is the 94mm wheelbase, you just cant get in and out of corners as well with the longer wheelbases. In mod longer is fine, but stock you just cant seem to get the rotation you need from the longer wheelbase.

Davey G
2010.12.26, 05:38 PM
I have been running the 02 for everything since August 2010, and have been running 94mm in both stock and mod since June 2009.

Felix2010
2010.12.26, 06:09 PM
I have been running the 02 for everything since August 2010, and have been running 94mm in both stock and mod since June 2009.

Q: Your 02 youve been running since June '09 --- Does it have the 03 PCB (RA22) installed?:D

Q2: Why are some top guys who say "Overall 98mm has advantage over 94 in MOD classes; Overall 94mm has advantage on high-skill Stock classes over 98mm WB? And then - There are guys who swear advantage in MOD is 94mm all the way? I thought if you have the right body/ASC/Pan, @98mm is best WB for MOD;@94 is best Wheelbase (usually) in Stock???
Isn't is basically - 98mm Vs. 94mm WB winner in MOD: Tied for 1st. 94mmWB & 98mmWB Equal in all aspects in MOD-GT. It's all driver preference is what it is.:) True?

Q3 - Now the 03's got the best front-end suspension available now - The PN Dbl A-Arm (THE BEST only avail for the 02 until recent) - You going to switch to the lighter/smaller 03 chassis? This was the key piece missing for me to stay MR02 until now:D I just gotta get together $120 for the whole 03/PN A-Arm setupkit :eek:;)

vesahyp
2010.12.27, 05:16 AM
I will give a little advice for what I would try and do to get your car a little less pushy. First off, if you were to switch to a Mosler, you would probably see a better balanced car without many other changes. The McL GTR has a lot of overhang front and rear. It makes for a lot of mass to get rotating, and with the rear overhang as long as it is, it just keeps a lot of weight on the rear. If you are set on this body, you may consider trimming the rear some. I think there are some good shots of color01's trimmed McL GTR floating around, but its been a while since he posted them.

I think removing the sway bar will help. I didn't much care for running them on my A-Arm car. Also, you may want to try loosening the diff a tad (if it is set tight). If it is not being allowed to slip it will cause push, or loss of rear traction once it breaks free. Basically the rear wheels need to be able to turn at separate speeds to get through corners efficiently. On a tight diff with high grip rear tires, the car just won't rotate proper, and with less traction tires, one of the wheels will break free from traction.

Solid gold these tips! Thank you sir! This will help me a lot when picking the next tweaks to try out.

Like you describe, the GTR does seem to shift its weight rather heavily especially on the rear even though the body has been shaved some (i bought it second hand off a more seasoned racer). My RTR weight is 182 grams at the moment which is slightly more than some 03s that run with more plastic and over 10g less than the 03s that run almost-all aluminium parts.

I'm not all set on the GTR body and have been looking at other wheelbase bodies too. Any experience on the Megane Trophy (which i quite fancy)? It looks a bit high but i've no idea how much it weighs or how the weight is distributed.

EMU
2010.12.27, 10:31 AM
The Megane is an excellent body for low-med grip tracks. Despite it being a high body, it carries a lot of speed through the corners, and doesnt generate too much body roll.

When I ran the body, I didnt use the wheels that came with it. I used 19mm front wheels with 0mm offset. And rear .5mm wheels. If you build a new one, test fit the body before glueing the clips on, and make sure that you have enough clearance for the rear wheels.

The body isnt very good on the walls, but it is lots of fun to drive. At on of the local tracks they have a class only for the Megane. And they run about the same pace as the Mod GT.

hrdrvr
2010.12.27, 11:21 AM
Solid gold these tips! Thank you sir! This will help me a lot when picking the next tweaks to try out.

I'm not all set on the GTR body and have been looking at other wheelbase bodies too. Any experience on the Megane Trophy (which i quite fancy)? It looks a bit high but i've no idea how much it weighs or how the weight is distributed.

I don't know that they are "solid gold" :D They should get you headed in the right direction though ;) You are very welcome any way!

We are starting up a hatch class at our club. I ran the megane body as a test, and really liked it. My dad is running it now, and has set his personal best 5 minute run with the body. He has outperformed his pan and LM cars, which are typically better for him as they are very easy to drive. This is on the HFAY BTE layout, which is pretty technical this time around. As tall as the megane looks, it is very stable and corners well, like EMU pointed out. It drives almost like a flat body, but with very good mid-corner grip. It would most definitely be a more aggressive set up over the GTR. I can't give too much feedback on the body, as I've only run it for a few hours. I decided to go with the WRX hatch, just because I have a soft spot for subarus :D

What size track are you racing on, and is it set up tight, or really flow-y?

vesahyp
2010.12.27, 02:43 PM
What size track are you racing on, and is it set up tight, or really flow-y?

Currently it's the 2010 pn world cup track (http://kotisivukone.fi/files/hippz.kotisivukone.com/.album/1283775819808_1_large.jpg). It's the first track i've run on but considering the choises for next years track (http://www.hippzracing.fi/uutiset.html?28) i guess it's a fast track. Maybe i'll be voting for a more twisty turny track to keep things interesting!

Davey G
2010.12.28, 10:37 AM
FELIX2010:
-I have the 03 board in my 02's.

-I used to run 98mm setup exclusively, but did dabble with 94mm and never liked them. The 02 double a arm came out and I tried the 94mm setups again and never looked back. I have traveled to different tracks and said to myself... "hmm I bet a 98mm setup would be better here" I would try it and switch right back to 94mm. For me, 94mm has more yank exiting a turn and will not wear out rear tires as quick. Since the 2010 PN regional I have decided to run mod classes only...and yes, I am even running my pan car in 94mm setup. I have driven some excellent 98mm cars but for me 94mm is the way to go.

-I am have run the mr03 double a arm setup for quite some time but am more comfortable with the mr02. Again, it comes down to "yank" for me. The mr03's that I have driven no matter what front end setup they have, seem to wiggle more then the 02 does when exiting a turn. I run as much horsepower I can possibly find, the 02 is still the choice for me.

vesahyp: The biggest issue I see with your setup is the front springs. Please try the PN double a arm green or white springs instead of those other springs. The springs that you are using are crazy light for a double a arm setup. Run the 3mm spring cup with no spacer over it.

geeunit1014
2010.12.29, 02:50 AM
Dave, have you ever tried a 96mm setup on anything? I have noticed my MR03 does tend to oversteer a little on exit as you described. I tried a 96mm setup the week after GSS, I thought it was much smoother on exit without really giving up anything on entry/middle.

vesahyp
2010.12.29, 04:59 AM
vesahyp: The biggest issue I see with your setup is the front springs. Please try the PN double a arm green or white springs instead of those other springs. The springs that you are using are crazy light for a double a arm setup. Run the 3mm spring cup with no spacer over it.

Last night i tried the same setup with a 14t pinion and removed the sway bar. Turn in at slow speeds got a lot better but on the high speed corners the car still understeers a lot. Maybe even more than with they swaybar installed. I'll try some much stiffer springs up front next time to see how that affects the handling.

I did get a new personal best on the track though (9.696) so the setup is moving in the right direction :)