PDA

View Full Version : February 12, 2011 - HFAY S11 Race 2

arch2b
2010.12.28, 01:58 PM
this will be held at Hobby Works in Fairfax, Virginia

arch2b
2011.01.24, 01:37 PM
still a couple weeks out but wanted to get this on your radar :cool:

if the turnout is a good as last time, we are in for some close groups and good fun.

remember, door prize to the first person that puts courtney into a wall :p jk'ing ofcourse.

i plan to have my newly painted f430gtc by this time to. i figured i'd give it a try since my 360gtc is getting lonely out there.

tr1kstanc3
2011.01.24, 03:30 PM
are you going to run the reflex wing on the 430gt body? i've been looking at purchasing one but they aren't in stock anywhere. :(

arch2b
2011.01.24, 04:16 PM
i'm going to give it a try. i bought the one and only one the shop here got ins stock. if it works as well as it does for others, i'll buy more.

chucelli
2011.01.25, 10:49 AM
new here. Been lurking a while.
Interested in joining the race, but have some questions...
Are all bodies allowed? Do you guys get many noobs at these races? I don't want to be causing traffic jams during the race.
Also, if I purchase a transponder online, how does that relate to the transponder sign-up you guys have here?
Thanks!
-Robert

OK, figured out my last question..

Action B
2011.01.25, 11:21 AM
new here. Been lurking a while.
Interested in joining the race, but have some questions...
Are all bodies allowed? Do you guys get many noobs at these races? I don't want to be causing traffic jams during the race.
Also, if I purchase a transponder online, how does that relate to the transponder sign-up you guys have here?
Thanks!
-Robert

OK, figured out my last question..
Hey were glad you are thinking about racing with us Robert.

All Kyosho brand autoscales and white bodies are allowed.

We have drivers of all levels, including noobs. We are always excited to see new racers and noone is going to give you a hard time if you cause a couple accidents. Everyone is really friendly and more interested in growing the community than their individual performance each race.

Qualifiers are implemented to segment racers into groups of similar skill. The section they get placed in for the main race are called "Mains". This will seperate you from the veterans during the actual main race. This ensures that you will be racing with people of more similar skill level and at least during the race that really counts, you won't be wrecking any of the top drivers.

Transponder is not necessary to purchase for these races. Purchased transponders are for Giro-Z lapcounter system. At hobbyworks where this race is at, we use the Core lapcounter system which uses tags. We provide them during the race.

There is also free-run practice every monday if you want to get some laps in before the event.

- Brandon

arch2b
2011.01.25, 11:24 AM
it never hurts to pick up a giro-z transponder as other local clubs are using this sytem :p i have core transponders for our use.

Action B
2011.01.25, 11:29 AM
it never hurts to pick up a giro-z transponder as other local clubs are using this sytem :p i have core transponders for our use.

I have a bunch too. I just need to find where they are in the basement.

I just picked up 2 transponders myself for the FEB. 26th race.

chucelli
2011.01.25, 12:25 PM
thanks for the info :)
good to know you are using tags for this race. What was the Giro-z transponder thread about? Is that for a different race?
Unfortunately, work prevents me from attending practice Mondays. I'm looking into purchasing a couple wide L for home practice. I hope to host a Mini-Z get-together at some point!
-Robert

chucelli
2011.01.25, 12:26 PM
I have a bunch too. I just need to find where they are in the basement.

I just picked up 2 transponders myself for the FEB. 26th race.

ActionB,
are you talking about the race at "The Track" in Gaithersburg in Feb?
-Robert

Action B
2011.01.25, 12:49 PM
ActionB,
are you talking about the race at "The Track" in Gaithersburg in Feb?
-Robert

Yes, and we'd love for you to host an event as well.

soulstice
2011.01.25, 01:49 PM
thanks for the info :)
good to know you are using tags for this race. What was the Giro-z transponder thread about? Is that for a different race?
Unfortunately, work prevents me from attending practice Mondays. I'm looking into purchasing a couple wide L for home practice. I hope to host a Mini-Z get-together at some point!
-Robert

Hey Robert, if you're serious about purchasing some wide L's, let me know when you're ready. I have 2 and 1/2 very lightly used wide L's which I'll probably be letting go because I no longer have the space for them now that I have two little ones.

soulstice
2011.01.25, 01:50 PM
I'm gonna try to make it to this GTG. Been a long time, hopefully my schedule will be clear to do so.

Gotta get up to speed and pick up an MR03!

chucelli
2011.01.25, 02:15 PM
soulstice,
PM sent.

chucelli
2011.02.09, 02:50 PM
so what time does the race start this Sat?
Is there any practice time held before hand?

arch2b
2011.02.09, 03:13 PM
track gets setup between 10-11am. racing should start about noon.

chucelli
2011.02.09, 03:21 PM
ok thanks.
hope to meet see you guys there.
-Robert

arch2b
2011.02.12, 11:44 PM
thanks for another day of close and exciting racing! Rene was pushing me faster than i've gone in a long time! it was a very exciting race for me.

it was nice to get f1 in as well, even if last minute. better something than nothing at all.

arch2b
2011.02.13, 10:54 PM
Wanted to say good job to John as well. He did a fantastic job of dealing with traffic. I know i ran into you a couple times but you did a great job of picking an outside line when necessary. Its not easy trying to get your best run in and not get in the way of the lap leaders, a skill i'm still working on.

vash
2011.02.14, 10:16 AM
there were defiantly some close races Saturday. Wanted to thank Ian et al for their patience on the race 2 second qualifier when I was struggling with my car and took a long time to get on the track. Also Joe and Bill when I ran the main. I was pretty frustrated with my car by the end of the day but it was great to see another good turnout

tr1kstanc3
2011.02.14, 12:07 PM
Good racing everyone! Special thanks to all the courteous drivers who let the faster cars pass cleanly and to Bill and Seth for the great competition. Unfortunately Seth's car had major issues in the 2nd main and that left him handicapped as his car was not up to speed. Hopefully he gets that fixed soon.

Great race in C main to bump to B main. Congratulations to all drivers who won their main and to those that learned something new.

Nice to meet you Robert and hope you make it out to more races and practice.

-Joe T.

arch2b
2011.02.14, 12:20 PM
:) rene and i tend to have very close races. i always look forward to racing with rene as it pushes me to get that last bit of extra effort out of myself and the car. if he had not pulled up to wait for me though, it wouldn't even have been a contest. you have to give rene major kudos for class and sportsmanship in doing that.

great to see robert join the group as well! always nice to see sun as well. i hope you get your mr-03 setup and ready to challenge us.

seth, any chance the motor cleaner could have fouled the board contacts or components?

chucelli
2011.02.15, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. It was definitely fun, albeit the whole event ran longer than I had anticipated..I will plan better next time.
Also wanted to thank Ian for all the help. It seems that he had a mini mini-z market in his box!
Lastly, sorry for all the traffic jams! Hopefully, I'll be able to keep up better next time.
-Robert

arch2b
2011.02.15, 05:03 PM
yeah, car technical difficulties made it run long. we normally wrap up racer classes by 4-5pm. it's important that we do show up by noon. the track goes up between 10-10:30am so if practice is really needed, i suggest arriving earlier so we can all leave earlier. it's no fun being the first one there to setup and last one to leave to tear down all the time. Seth is good about getting there early to help setup.

mini-zapex
2011.02.20, 10:55 AM
When is the next race at Hobby Works FFX?

arch2b
2011.02.20, 11:02 AM
the schedule for the entire year is posted here (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35614).

vash
2011.02.21, 10:17 AM
seth, any chance the motor cleaner could have fouled the board contacts or components?

Ran the car this weekend and it looks like the pinion was slipping. I hit the board with contact cleaner also but looking at the gear from the race, the wear marks were too far in. I changed the pinion making sure it was tight and problem seemed to go away.

Lastly, sorry for all the traffic jams! Hopefully, I'll be able to keep up better next time.
-Robert

You got around the track fine. For your first race you did well I thought. We have practice at hobbyworks every Monday and run the next hfay layout. If you can make it, it's a good chance to test and tweak and get track time.

chucelli
2011.02.23, 08:33 AM
Thanks Seth,
I would love to come out to any practice sessions, but I don't live close, so it will be difficult.
I've upgraded my rear suspension since then since I was flipping around turns, sometimes multiple times during the last race. I guess I would have to come in at least once to see if the upgrade fixed the problem..

Any of you attending the race at "The Track"? That is very close to me, so I will definitely be there to watch at least...
-Robert

tr1kstanc3
2011.02.23, 11:14 AM
I've upgraded my rear suspension since then since I was flipping around turns, sometimes multiple times during the last race. I guess I would have to come in at least once to see if the upgrade fixed the problem..

Which rear suspension have you upgraded to? Did you also upgrade your rear motor pod?

-Joe T.

chucelli
2011.02.23, 12:49 PM
I upgraded to the PN disk damper set and PN V3 motor pod so I can use the 70t PN HFAY motor with the pinion I want.
Still getting used to the massive amounts of drag brake this motor has compared to stock Kyosho...

tr1kstanc3
2011.02.23, 03:09 PM
I upgraded to the PN disk damper set and PN V3 motor pod so I can use the 70t PN HFAY motor with the pinion I want.
Still getting used to the massive amounts of drag brake this motor has compared to stock Kyosho...

Did you upgrade to a ball differential? Which pinions are you using? I've noticed that gear mesh between the spur/pinion has a significant impact on what would feel like drag brake or rolling resistance off power.

chucelli
2011.02.24, 11:44 AM
Did you upgrade to a ball differential? Which pinions are you using? I've noticed that gear mesh between the spur/pinion has a significant impact on what would feel like drag brake or rolling resistance off power.

I'm using the Kyosho Ball diff. and the kyosho 8t pinion. No matter how I adjust it, it doesn't feel as smooth as the stock Kyosho motor. It almost feels crunchy. Now that I've had a few hours with it, it has smoothed out a bit, but still does not feel nearly as smooth as the stock motor. This is my first non-stock motor, so maybe my expectations are just off.
-Robert

vash
2011.02.24, 12:18 PM
I should be at the race this weekend. You'll probably see a few familiar faces

the pn 70 turn will feel like it has more drag than the kyosho stock. If you feel like it has too much, check the mesh. Is it a new pn motor? if so, the bushings are probably still pretty tight

tr1kstanc3
2011.02.24, 12:26 PM
I'm using the Kyosho Ball diff. and the kyosho 8t pinion. No matter how I adjust it, it doesn't feel as smooth as the stock Kyosho motor. It almost feels crunchy. Now that I've had a few hours with it, it has smoothed out a bit, but still does not feel nearly as smooth as the stock motor. This is my first non-stock motor, so maybe my expectations are just off.
-Robert

If you are using the stock Kyosho Ball diff I would recommend using the PN Pro Match Delrin pinion gears. The stock Kyosho pinions are not smooth at all. The 10 tooth pinion size is the only one you need for HFAY racing. Anything smaller will be too slow to keep up with the faster cars. http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-Mini-Z-Pro-Match-Delrin-Pinion-10T-2pcs_p_43053.html

You also want to have the slightest bit of play between the pinion and the spur gear so that when you move the spur back and forth it can wiggle a bit. If you want more expandability with gear ratios I would recommend swapping out the stock spur gear to the Reflex Racing 53tooth 64pitch v2 spur, ceramic diff balls (3/32), and the PN 64pitch Pro Match pinions (12t and 13t for HFAY). This is the setup that Seth and I run on our stock cars. These parts can be purchased from http://www.reflexracing.net/

Alternatively, you can stop by on Monday between 5-8pm and we can help you get your car set up. Good luck.

-Joe T.

**Forgot to mention you want to use some sort of oil on the motor bushings. I'm using Trinity/Epic bushing oil. Just a small dab on each bushing will help smooth out the motor and reduce the noise. Be careful not to put too much on the motor end bell side as it can drip down into the commutator and gunk up the motor.

chucelli
2011.02.24, 12:33 PM
Yes, this is a new motor. How much/long "regular running" before it is considered "broken in"?

chucelli
2011.02.24, 12:40 PM
I did order the pro-match pinions, but only 9T! I figured 10T was too much. Is everyone running 10T?
Thanks for the tip on the oil. I figured that they come from the factory already oiled..

tr1kstanc3
2011.02.24, 01:01 PM
I did order the pro-match pinions, but only 9T! I figured 10T was too much. Is everyone running 10T?
Thanks for the tip on the oil. I figured that they come from the factory already oiled..

I'm assuming that those running the stock Kyosho ball diff and spur are running the 10T pinion. The PN motor can easily handle it. Any stock motor with bushings will require routine maintenance. After every track day of racing/practice it is a good idea to spray the motor down with electric motor cleaner (away from plastic chassis components) and re-oil the bushings prior to running the car again. On a typical race day I end up oiling my bushings 2-3 times.