PDA

View Full Version : MR-03 compare to DNaNo

Torch8
2011.01.03, 01:56 PM
For the Mini-Z MR-03 users here, would you get DNaNo as your next car?

I will getting into RC car hobby and is looking for small size car to first play with and then later race. Can't not decide on DNaNo or Mini-Z MR-03, except that DNaNo is more expensive

- Is steering, cornering and speed bigger improvements than mini-z mr-03?
- Repairs and replacement parts harder on DNaNo since its smaller and is it more fragile?
- LiPo longer playing time than AAA? Isn't AAA cheaper to run?

ChiMiniRc
2011.01.03, 02:42 PM
For the Mini-Z MR-03 users here, would you get DNaNo as your next car?

I will getting into RC car hobby and is looking for small size car to first play with and then later race. Can't not decide on DNaNo or Mini-Z MR-03, except that DNaNo is more expensive

- Is steering, cornering and speed bigger improvements than mini-z mr-03?
- Repairs and replacement parts harder on DNaNo since its smaller and is it more fragile?
- LiPo longer playing time than AAA? Isn't AAA cheaper to run?

The biggest factor is what is everyone else in the area interested in? If space is really tight, you may find the local hobby shops are selling DNaNo vs Mini-z. Else you’re on your own which means buying multiple cars.

In both DNaNo and Mini-z, speed has always been faster then what most people expect. I would not use speed as a comparison though. These aren't the types of cars you run back and forth in a parking lot. What type of track are you running on and how big are the layouts? In most cases, the Mini-z is going to give you more options and will have the ability to go faster and maintain control.

Both cars lose side mirrors. DNaNo are much lighter so they receive less body damage in my experience. Chassis is very durable with the exception of the T-plate. Never had to replace anything besides that suspension plate. To be fair, the Mr-03 is also quite durable. The only thing I've broke on those besides suspension plates are steering arms and wheels (very abusive rookie drivers).

In general, I would not consider the DNaNo "more fragile" even though the size would have you think otherwise.

AAA are cheaper and last longer. The lipos are nice but last about 20-30 minutes. AAA's in a stock MR-03 will last you 45min +

briankstan
2011.01.03, 02:44 PM
The Dnano can be fun, especially if you have someone to race with that has them as well, and you have a nice smooth area to race or a track.

For pure racing there are more places running the Mini-Z than the Dnano. I would find out what they are running in your area then go with what you can run.

if your just running at home they will both be good. You would really need a smooth flat surface for both. As they are really to small to be driving on an unfinished floor.

You get right about the same runtime in the Dnano and the Z with AAA’s. I’d call it a wash.

The Mini-z is going to be a lot faster than the Dnano.

Hope that helps.

Torch8
2011.01.03, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your feedback. It will help me alot. I'll be driving at in my living room, which very low carpet. May have to some rubber mats.

Hasty
2011.01.04, 10:38 AM
If you're driving on carpet at all I would suggest you go with mini-z rather than dnano. Dnano's front wheel design is very susceptible to small fibers and dirt getting inside, which causes all kinds of steering problems. If you're new to the micro hobby, this could be a major hassle for you as taking apart those front wheel setups is a true pain in the a$$. So unless you have a rubber track I would warn you from dNano and steer you to Mini-z.

Also, if you're considering RCP track and still thinking dNano - go for the smaller sized RCP because it will be easier to get a smooth surface. The dNanos, in my experience, hop around a bit on the big RCMP squares but work fine on the smaller.

So - I'd say go mini-z. Their bigger size will be more enjoyable on carpet, hardwood, all surfaces. However my cat prefers the dNanos for play!

greenepa76
2011.01.04, 10:53 AM
I'm considering going the same route with a Dnano since I do have a Wide L RCP track. I find it way too small for a semi modded Mini-z, but maybe just enough for a Dnano. Kyosho has a package deal right now at the R241 racetrack. It's a bundled kit and I'm trying to decide which one I want.

I would start with the Mini-Z first. The Dnano is really expensive! Once you start getting into all the small parts. The Mini-z is run more often than a dnano in many areas. If you do decide on a MR-03, consider the LM chassis layout.

Torch8
2011.01.05, 11:10 PM
I'm going with Mini-Z MR-03 LM Nissan R390, over DNaNo for now. Any spare parts to get with it?

greenepa76
2011.01.05, 11:52 PM
The stock t-plate is the first thing to break on all the 03's I've seen. Get an aftermarket set from reflex or Kyosho in the 3 packs of soft, med, and hard. I like the FRP or the SGS silver one from PN also. The carbon ones crack if you get rear ended or strong side hit on the rear pod. Nothing breaks that easily on these. Oh, the servo gear is another item you might want to have spare. Some decent tires if you're going to race later.

hyper-me
2011.01.06, 03:13 AM
However my cat prefers the dNanos for play!

lol my cat is my biggest race fan !!! everytime I go to the basement she follows me to watch lol

Hasty
2011.01.06, 11:33 AM
A little video I made...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSx1rZnUGFw