PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 ghz vs am

drhavy
2011.01.04, 06:21 AM
Right now I started to pick up a couple cars from ebay to put together and race in the future w/ my friends. The thing is right now i only have one am controller 2 cars w am boards(ma01 and a mr015). the boards on the rest appear shot. I have a couple spare mr02's that will make at least 1. But i need new boards for the mr02.

My question is whether its worth upgrading to 2.4ghz for just a couple cars to run in the home? And where to get the conversion set for them if so. At least for 2 of the cars.

Thanks
Drhavy

cosmicsoul
2011.01.04, 08:18 AM
If you know that you are going to be racing regularly in the future and you have the money 2.4 is the way to go definately.

My preference is 03 rather than 02 as the 03 board has instant reverse.

Otherwise there is nothing wrong with AM cars. They are definately cost effective, the only disadvantage is they can glitch especially on larger tracks. You also have to keep in mind what frequency crystals are being used as 2 cars cannot use the same frequency.

The Futaba 2PL is a great radio for AM cars and is very inexpensive.

Unfortunately in my area since the dawn of 2.4 and intial start up costs being significantly higher interest of new participants has dwindled somewhat.

If you are just trying to build a fleet to run with friends, from a cost perspective AM is the way to go!

Traveler
2011.01.04, 08:57 AM
Good advice! Also keep in mind that if you go 2.4, you'll need a 2.4 radio, the cheapest of which (KT-18) is flimsy and goes for $80+ new. You should be able to pick up another AM radio for a lot less.

If you need AM boards, I have several as I'm sure others here do. Just post a WTB thread and I'm sure you'll get lots of responses.

Good luck.

drhavy
2011.01.04, 09:33 AM
Thanks to everyone for the fast response. I appreciate the input. I guess i can stay am for now then. I'll post a wtb thread. Later i will go 2.4ghz.
Thanks again.