PDA

View Full Version : tri damper

danny250r
2011.01.08, 02:39 PM
looking into a tri damper ,which one to get .the pn or the reflex my cars are feeling a little sloppy/loose in the rear would a tri damper help? thx

JuniorWKR
2011.01.08, 02:56 PM
i believe the tri dampner setup is far superior to a standard dps setup... the tuning capabilities are insane... simple twist of the set nut and you can either add or take away steering on both or either side... i was just talkin about this with sammy saks last night and he said anyone who doesnt run it is a fool... i have only ran the pn setup so i cannot make a comaprision for you but i am more then pleased with it... i can honestly say it would be a beneficial investment for your miniz... you will not be disapointed... keep in mind that we all run the springs that are made for the dual pn top shock... most guys run orange or blue springs... there is only one color in each bag so you will have to buy two bags of springs... i feel my setup is the best with the ornage springs... for stock i just set the spring no droop in mod i add preload...

i also bought a extra set of side shocks and i run one of them as my top shock with a orange spring as well... same settings for stock and mod as above...

i run pn #4 tplate and just the bottom dps spring and plate.... green pn dps spring and davey g's ruby lube... no form of lubes or grease on any of the side shocks... i always run them dry...

EMU
2011.01.09, 10:23 AM
BLT, instead of sanding the post a lot, (I just sand it to get rid of any high-spots) use a 1/16 (think thats the right size) drill bit after you install the spring adjustment nuts. The nuts are a tight fit, and compress the shock body onto the shaft, and causes binding. After running the drill through it (I use a hand drill), the shocks are very smooth.

RR vs PN tri damper. The RR TDS has less of a footprint for 94mm setups, so it can fit under bodies with less clearance. It is also a little lighter. There is a little more work to get the shocks prepared in the RR system, but it takes less than 5 minutes, and only requires a small drill bit... Neither unit is a unit that just bolts on and will immediately increase performance. The PN takes less effort to get on the car, but both need some tuning to get the car right. With the RR TDS I use the silver spring that comes with the kit for the side shocks, and use Kyosho oil shock on top.

What I feel makes the TDS a better option, is the ability to tune your lateral spring tension and damping seperate from the for/aft. Also, the TDS re-centers the rear end much better than the DDS, which is entirely reliant on the t-plate.

Almost all of my cars have TDS now, except for the 90 and 102mm setups which cant really use them at this point. I feel that TDS cars drive straight when exiting a corner and entering a straight. DDS cars tend to steer a little in the direction of the previous turn as the t-plate doesnt do as good of a job recentering the rear pod, especially if you use heavy dampening on the DDS.

Mike Keely
2011.01.09, 10:51 AM
I finally got to run my RR TDS yesterday. VARACER showed me that the threads on the outside of the damper tubes are not molded very well. He can tell us the thread size on the die we used but after running a die over the threads they are very smooth with no sanding or drilling needed. My first day with this system on but no flipping issues and I liked the silver springs best also.

danny250r
2011.01.09, 03:18 PM
BLT, instead of sanding the post a lot, (I just sand it to get rid of any high-spots) use a 1/16 (think thats the right size) drill bit after you install the spring adjustment nuts. The nuts are a tight fit, and compress the shock body onto the shaft, and causes binding. After running the drill through it (I use a hand drill), the shocks are very smooth.

RR vs PN tri damper. The RR TDS has less of a footprint for 94mm setups, so it can fit under bodies with less clearance. It is also a little lighter. There is a little more work to get the shocks prepared in the RR system, but it takes less than 5 minutes, and only requires a small drill bit... Neither unit is a unit that just bolts on and will immediately increase performance. The PN takes less effort to get on the car, but both need some tuning to get the car right. With the RR TDS I use the silver spring that comes with the kit for the side shocks, and use Kyosho oil shock on top.

What I feel makes the TDS a better option, is the ability to tune your lateral spring tension and damping seperate from the for/aft. Also, the TDS re-centers the rear end much better than the DDS, which is entirely reliant on the t-plate.

Almost all of my cars have TDS now, except for the 90 and 102mm setups which cant really use them at this point. I feel that TDS cars drive straight when exiting a corner and entering a straight. DDS cars tend to steer a little in the direction of the previous turn as the t-plate doesnt do as good of a job recentering the rear pod, especially if you use heavy dampening on the DDS.
i been waiting for you to post emu you must have been busy took you over a day lol

danny250r
2011.01.09, 03:19 PM
thanks for all the replies im gonna go with the reflex ill order it tonight i just hope that rr ships it out fast :D

Mike Keely
2011.01.09, 04:11 PM
I think that he has been out of the country for a few weeks. I think he gets back in tomorrow so it might take a day or two to get things out.

EMU
2011.01.09, 05:06 PM
If you need any help setting it up, feel free to ask. I can show you a few things on Friday if you go to Action.

chad508
2011.01.09, 09:46 PM
one thing i do not like about the rr version are the shocks. only in that they are kinda tall at the ball ends, and that they also start to bind if tightened to much due to the balls being plastic. i have found this to be a problem with a few bodies. i like the shorter carbon piece that mounts the shocks to the chassis though. so what i did was get some pn shocks and shorting them to fit on the rr carbon pieces. this has allowed me to use it on alot more bodies, and you can tighten them as much as you want without binding.

EMU
2011.01.10, 12:14 PM
one thing i do not like about the rr version are the shocks. only in that they are kinda tall at the ball ends, and that they also start to bind if tightened to much due to the balls being plastic. i have found this to be a problem with a few bodies. i like the shorter carbon piece that mounts the shocks to the chassis though. so what i did was get some pn shocks and shorting them to fit on the rr carbon pieces. this has allowed me to use it on alot more bodies, and you can tighten them as much as you want without binding.
Can you post a picture?

chad508
2011.01.11, 04:38 PM
not the best pics but here you go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/chad508/DSCN0436.jpg

d1nzfe
2011.02.19, 09:47 PM
what type of grease do you use on the side shocks?
RR recommends 7000-10000wt.. but kyosho only have 5000,15000,30000:confused:

chad508
2011.02.19, 09:50 PM
i've found myself using the 15000 mostly. i've used 30000 but found it to slow the car in transitions to much

geeunit1014
2011.02.19, 11:08 PM
Cant go wrong with the Kyo 15K.

tr1kstanc3
2011.02.23, 10:21 AM
For those that run the RR TDS system, what is the length of the countersunk screws that hold the shock pivots? 2x6? 2x8?

Thanks,
Joe T.

VAzRACER
2011.02.23, 12:52 PM
For those that run the RR TDS system, what is the length of the countersunk screws that hold the shock pivots? 2x6? 2x8?

Thanks,
Joe T.

2x8 screws

tr1kstanc3
2011.02.23, 02:11 PM
2x8 screws

Thanks Matt. Are you guys practicing at Remnant on Thursday night?

VAzRACER
2011.02.23, 09:53 PM

I'm not. I think they are starting around 1-2, not sure. I know they are gonna stop early to pack the track up to take to the race Friday morning.

geeunit1014
2011.02.23, 10:26 PM

Gary said he would be there at 2. Saint should be there too, not sure what time. I think they wanted to be packed up by around 7