PDA

View Full Version : MINI-Z Racer MR-02 Aston Martin

Raeus
2011.01.15, 01:22 AM
I'm thinking about buying a Aston Martin MR-02 and coming down to join your next race. Besides the car what kind and how many batteries would I need? Is there anything else I would need? Would it be an ok car to race.

Thanks for any and all info

Rob

ChiMiniRc
2011.01.15, 03:49 PM
I'm thinking about buying a Aston Martin MR-02 and coming down to join your next race. Besides the car what kind and how many batteries would I need? Is there anything else I would need?

Thanks for any and all info

Rob

I don't run at this club but in general,

AAA batteries for the car. 4 of them and I recommend rechargeable batteries. 900mah batteries will last around 45 minutes per charge. Judge how many sets based on how long you want to run and how fast you can charge.

I'm pretty sure the club runs only on RCP tiles. I would recommend replacing the tires the car comes with with softer tires. Kyosho 30 degree slicks in the front and 20 degree radials in the back are a great starting point. Hopefully someone from the club can chime in on tires and what is available in the area.

Raeus
2011.01.15, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info. After looking for some batteries. I going to have to find a thread about them. Didn't realize there was so many different brands and chargers.

ChiMiniRc
2011.01.15, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the info. After looking for some batteries. I going to have to find a thread about them. Didn't realize there was so many different brands and chargers.

There are many but the differences are not dramatic. Picking up a set of duracell's and an inexpensive charger at Walmart/Target is fine. If you have a Menards near you, they sell an inexpensive set of low self discharge batteries (they lose little charge when sitting around) for $5.99 a 4 pack. (green and black labeling)

Raeus
2011.01.15, 08:08 PM
So I don't need one that does this?

"Charge: Recharges the battery at the selected rate. Suitable for batteries used frequently.
Refresh & Analyze: Charges the battery, rest for one hour, discharge, rest again, then recharges it. Selectable charging and discharging rate. Suitable for batteries stored for more than two weeks but less than 3 month or those showing poor performance.
Break-In: Also known as IEC capacity measurement and "Battery Forming". Charges battery at 0.1C for 16 hours, rest for one hour, discharges battery at 0.2C, then recharges again at 0.1C for 16 hours. Suitable for new batteries and those stored for more than 3 month.
Discharge: Discharges the battery at the selected rate.
Cycle: Performs charge-discharge cycle for up to 12 times with discharge capacity stored in memory. Recharges battery after final cycle"

ChiMiniRc
2011.01.15, 11:00 PM
So I don't need one that does this?

"Charge: Recharges the battery at the selected rate. Suitable for batteries used frequently.
Refresh & Analyze: Charges the battery, rest for one hour, discharge, rest again, then recharges it. Selectable charging and discharging rate. Suitable for batteries stored for more than two weeks but less than 3 month or those showing poor performance.
Break-In: Also known as IEC capacity measurement and "Battery Forming". Charges battery at 0.1C for 16 hours, rest for one hour, discharges battery at 0.2C, then recharges again at 0.1C for 16 hours. Suitable for new batteries and those stored for more than 3 month.
Discharge: Discharges the battery at the selected rate.
Cycle: Performs charge-discharge cycle for up to 12 times with discharge capacity stored in memory. Recharges battery after final cycle"

Sounds like the Maha Powerex charger. Nice charger but not necessary. I own a couple for use at the club. I must have over 200 batteries and I have to say, the break in feature hasn't "revived' any cells. I like it mostly for the ability to do a cycle where I get to charge the specific charge and discharge rates. It helps me match the batteries and find ones that are ready for retirement. It also takes a lot of button pressing since I charge at 500mah. If you want to charge at 1 amp (a bit aggressive in my opinion), then it is just a drop in and let it start charger.

For the price, I love this charger and it still does individual charging. Has a refresh feature, easy to set charge rates across all 4 cells.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-BC-700-Battery-Charger/dp/B000RSOV50/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295153642&sr=8-2

Raeus
2011.01.16, 12:11 AM
Thanks I may have to pick that up.