PDA

View Full Version : S6 Delrin Rim

arch2b
2011.01.15, 08:59 PM
will atomic release additional offsets for the 19mm narrow and 20mm wide wheels? there are many bodies that run +2 front wheels comfortably as well as +2 and +3 rear wheels however these do not go larger than 1.5mm

Atomic-USA
2011.01.16, 09:24 AM
I was told +2 or above wheels do not sell well enough to justify production at this point.

EMU
2011.01.16, 11:11 AM
I actually prefer the offerings that ATM has for this line of wheels better than what most companies have for their wheel lineup. They chose .5mm increments with less offset rather than 1mm increments wide offset. I think this allows better fine tuning of the setups. There will be some people that want the wider offsets, but there are plenty of other options for those offsets. I would personally rather have .5mm and 1.5mm than 2 and 3mm options.

I would like to see a -1W rear though ;)

Atomic-USA
2011.01.16, 12:58 PM
And with the Atomic MR-03 knuckles you can adjust the axles with shims to widen the front width.

arch2b
2011.01.16, 01:47 PM
i would like to see narrow -1.

Traveler
2011.01.16, 05:38 PM
Can anyone confirm what material these rims are made of? EGR lists the white ones as delrin, but not the black ones. Plus the white ones are $0.90 more, which makes me believe the different colors are different materials.

Are the white S6s truly delrin and what are the black ones made of?

Thanks!

Atomic-USA
2011.01.18, 09:37 AM
Black = plastic
White = Delrin

Traveler
2011.01.18, 09:51 AM
Black = plastic
White = Delrin

Thanks for following up and confirming this Sai!

JuniorWKR
2011.01.18, 09:51 AM
love these new rims... they are on all my cars.. the white delrin ones... very light... very durable... great price... awesome lookking... the 19mm fronts is awesome... just wish they made them for awd too in both front and rear 19mm...

Tjay
2011.01.18, 10:02 AM
I just bought these wheels in white and man it is sweet! Normally I'd run dish wheels and I have been for years! My car looks so plain but I didn't really care much about how my car looks (as some of you guys may know from my cars paint job=white. lol) but now, my attention is just on the wheels everytime I'm on the track. lol It looks good that I grabbed me an ASC to try these new wheels on. :D

Oh yeah, dont get it confused... I think these are made of molded plastic not delrin. They probably just used "delrin" for marketing. Also, it's not machined so it should not be compared to wheels that are machined cut and made of polyacetal (delrin). But these S6are so cheap, good looking, lightweight and durable, who cares! ;)

bermbuster
2011.01.18, 10:58 AM
i Usually dont defend Atomic....but the white rims can be delrin as acetal resin (delrin) can be molded....

Traveler
2011.01.25, 02:51 PM
Just got some pairs to try, and I'm pretty sure they are NOT delrin. Nevertheless they are very light and VERY good looking, and I love the fact that they come in 0.5mm increments. I do not, however, like how tight the bearing fitment is. Only time will tell how durable they are.

chad508
2011.01.25, 03:05 PM
ive got some on order but my question is, are they like the dish wheels atomic sells that are so much wider than stock. i hated when you ran those you had to sand the outside down to get them to work some times.

Traveler
2011.01.25, 03:57 PM
Chad, hope you didn't order from HKS!

Atomic got the width right this time, but the ridge is still too tall. Also the rears fit very tight onto the diff hubs.

Tjay
2011.01.25, 06:28 PM
Chad, hope you didn't order from HKS! you're funny... :D

Atomic got the width right this time, but the ridge is still too tall. Also the rears fit very tight onto the diff hubs.

I need to check the ridge on mine. I didn't notice it being that tall but then again, I dont true my tires. Thanks for the info!

Few guys (even locally) were complaining on how tight the hubs are. Mine is not so tight. As a matter of fact, my PN web/spoke plastic wheels are tighter than my S6. I've only used my S6 for a week and had removed the bearings inside it twice to see if it'll break or whatnot. So far, no cracks yet and like I said, it's not too tight there. It's more of a snug fit. Btw, I use ATM bearing tool. ;)

chad508
2011.01.25, 07:29 PM
Chad, hope you didn't order from HKS!

no i got them from reflex, so i should be good. i was unable to get all the sizes i wanted but atleast i got some to try out.

mdowney
2011.01.25, 07:50 PM
I like these rims - nice and cheap and the 0.5 increments are great. They also look good. However, they are really snug with the bearings and don't seem to fit on the PN adapter for the Hudy tire truer. A fix would be much appreciated. :D

Btw, I use ATM bearing tool. ;)

Good call. Must find one of those. I'm always afraid I'm going to break something when I pop the bearings in there.

chad508
2011.01.28, 07:40 AM
got my rims last night and just for kicks i weighed them. the rear whites are 1.3 grams. the rear blacks are 1.0 gram. the front whites 1.0 gram. i didnot get any black fronts so i could not weight them but with the difference in rears they must be less. and as far as the white ones being delrin, they must be as they have that slick oily feeling that other delrins have. mine did also have a high ridge on them, i plan to just put them on the truer and sand them down some if not all the way flat.

Traveler
2011.01.28, 08:48 AM
Chad, were the black and white rears you weighed the same offset? I would guess rims with more offset have a little more material and will weigh a little more. I only got them in white, so I couldn't do a comparison.

Can't say for sure they are delrin or not, but I know they are molded, becuase mine had the excess material along the ridge where the rims were attached to a tree. I guess the true test is when I try to remove the tire and the CA glue used to hold the tire to the rim. I'll have to do this soon because I wore all 4 tires on my f-430 down to almost nothing last night at HSH.

Good idea on using the tire truer to take the ridge down a notch. Don't think I'd take it all the way down though because the inside of the tire won't sit right on the rim.

chad508
2011.01.28, 08:58 AM
i measured all offsets and they were all the same. no difference what so ever

Felix2010
2011.01.28, 09:00 AM
I like these wheels, the white Delrin ones especially. Good product, just needs a little more attention to Q.C. (Tires Ridge prob).

Delrin is higher-density than most other plastic materials used. A while back a buddy said he might as well run Alloy's that look sick on the chassis; Some alloy rims are comparable in Weight to solid Delrin wheels. Delrin has good points tho:
+#1: Highly chemical-resistant;
+#2: Re-Use rims (Even one's with tired glued-on) - Soak in pure acetone.
+#3: Nearly indestructible. No warping/tweaking (as with metal alloys/some plastics.
+#4: Delrin rims are usually machined, Not molded. Machined parts are usually more precise.

I guess it all depends how badly you want to shed 0.3-0.4grams:)

The extra-high tire ridge on these ATM rims is not good though. I do not have a tire/wheel truer(I wish), and I wouldn't want to guesstimate perfect-roundness of the wheel sanding,etc. . If ATM can fix this minor problemo then they are a 9/10 for me.:)

Traveler
2011.01.28, 09:09 AM
Larry, that's why I said

I guess the true test is when I try to remove the tire and the CA glue used to hold the tire to the rim.

I will have to soak them in acetone, and will know if they are really delrin. Didn't want to do this before I got to use them at least once. Will report on findings...

Only other fix I would recommend is to make the bearing opening a tiny bit larger so the bearing can be inserted and removed more easily. So far I like this product.

Felix2010
2011.01.28, 11:53 AM
I missed your post Traveler:o I kinda repeated a few things that others touched-on in their posts, I'm just going out of my mind:confused: I didn't notice someone here said ATM S6 white-delrin(?) wheels were molded not machined, so maybe that's the reason these S6 wheels are a couple-three bucks cheaper than a PN Delrin/machined/grooved+pattern in sidewall ??? If the precision of having been machined final-step keeps these white S6 from being top of the line.

For GOODlooks,pricepoint, that's why I like S6 wheels most. The Black/Reg-Plastic S6 wheels might be worth checking out. If Rear is about 1g, then fronts should be in the 0.75g-0.85g range. That's record-lite:) And the blk are less $$$.

Thanks for the weight info and other info guys:)

Traveler
2011.01.28, 11:59 AM
^ No problems. If these rims hold up to the acetone soaking, then they are definitely a good value.

Traveler
2011.02.08, 02:11 PM
Well, after a couple of race nights on the 19mm fronts, it was time for a tire change. Ripped the old rubber off, scraped the CA glue and soaked the rims in acetone. And the rims came out like new!

arch2b
2011.02.08, 02:15 PM
just wish i could find the offsets i want in stock anywhere :( ergracing doesn't have them and rr only has a select few.

Traveler
2011.02.08, 02:23 PM
I think Atomic would benefit from a strong domestic presence in the US. Or maybe it's just we who would benefit. Either way, it sure would be nice to have a domestic Atomic shop stocked to the ceiling :)

arch2b
2011.02.08, 02:45 PM
a domestic shop is not what is required. there are already several domestic shops that carry atomic. one of the issues is, most shops experience some measure of difficulty in ordering, reordering from atomic.

Atomic-USA
2011.02.10, 10:08 AM
If any person or shop has issues ordering from Atomic please let me know. I'm here to help. Atomic products are available in hobby shops in most parts of the world so I would assume "some" shops experience difficulty rather than "most shops".

arch2b
2011.02.10, 10:34 AM
r has expressed difficulty and i know it has not always been easy for the shop here. between am, rr and trc, 2 of the 3 have trouble (has been reported). it's fare to say most in this case.
i will certainly have david contact you if you are not already in touch with him.

mdowney
2011.02.10, 01:49 PM
I have a really hard time finding any Atomic stuff in stock anywhere. Of course I only order from TinyRC, RR, and Kenon. I picked up a few Atomic things from EGR but thought it was silly to have to go overseas for something like that.

When I was down in San Jose FPR and ILR seemed to have plenty of Atomic stuff. Maybe it's just the US online stores? Also, some of these shops may not be ordering much stock to begin with.

Is there a good place online in the US to find Atomic stuff in stock?

Traveler
2011.02.10, 02:06 PM
I have a really hard time finding any Atomic stuff in stock anywhere.

I have the same problem. The parts are not available at my LHS and I haven't found an online store in the US with good stock. This is why I was saying earlier that I think the brand would do a lot better in the US if there were a domestic online company store with good stock.

Atomic-USA
2011.02.15, 01:22 PM

Yes, CruizinRC in New Jersey just received a huge order of Atomic parts. They do mail order. www.cruizinrc.com

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a65/dealerxing/Mini-z/Cruizin.jpg

arch2b
2011.02.15, 04:54 PM
I have the same problem. The parts are not available at my LHS and I haven't found an online store in the US with good stock. This is why I was saying earlier that I think the brand would do a lot better in the US if there were a domestic online company store with good stock.
it's not for a lack of trying...