PDA

View Full Version : Reflex Racing Ajustable Wheel Base Motor Mount

CristianTabush
2011.01.25, 11:09 PM
The design is finalized and we have our first production samples on hand. They will start shipping late March/April due to the Lunar Year Holiday at the factory, but pre-orders will go up tonight!

http://www.reflexracing.net/prodimages/images/rx1177BL_02.jpg

Skv012a
2011.01.25, 11:14 PM
So how does this magic work and what bases are supported?

CristianTabush
2011.01.25, 11:40 PM
http://www.reflexracing.net/images/product_releases/motormountpreorderretail800.jpg

EMU
2011.01.26, 01:36 PM
That looks really good :) I will put my preorder in tonight...

mdowney
2011.01.26, 01:44 PM
Man, you just keep giving me reasons to spend money at RR. :D

Looks good!

Cherub1m
2011.01.26, 01:58 PM
Very nice. Question, this mount can go from 94, 96, 98, 100 and 102mm with no additional parts?. You only need additional parts if you go from 95, 97, 99 and 101mm, is this correct?

EMU
2011.01.26, 02:04 PM
Very nice. Question, this mount can go from 94, 96, 98, 100 and 102mm with no additional parts?. You only need additional parts if you go from 95, 97, 99 and 101mm, is this correct?

That is correct. With the MM t-plate in the forward position, you can do 94 and 96mm. If you move the t-plate back one position, it will do 98 and 100mm. 94/96/98mm are currently supported by the RR tri-damper as well. For 100mm, it should be possible with some modification to the damper plate to allow for more clearance for the top shock post on the mount.

I have been running the prototype mount for some time, and really like it. There are very few changes to the production mount from what I can see, so I am really looking forward to getting my hands on one, or two... or three :D

chad508
2011.01.26, 06:55 PM
am i looking at it correct in that one of the motor mount screws is also the top gear mesh adjustment screw? it looks real nice, and im sure will work great.

EMU
2011.01.26, 07:15 PM
Chad, that is correct. Much like the ATM and older PN designs, the upper screw adjusts the gear mesh and tightens the motor to the mount. The lower motor screw is screwed in through the motor adapter(attached to the adapter), and the adapter is then screwed in with a different screw that connects to the mount.

This does two things 1. keeps the motor in the proper position when adjusting gear mesh, since the lower screw does not loosen the motor from the mount. 2. allows you to loosen/tighten the lower screw without having to remove the rear wheel/diff.

mdowney
2011.01.26, 08:01 PM
I've been noticing that the motor tends to get mis-aligned from being perpendicular to the front of the chassis when using the PN reconfigurable mount. Does this mount aleviate that type of problem? It's not that big of a deal but it's a bit annoying to have to check it every time I race.

CristianTabush
2011.01.26, 08:05 PM
You should not have problems on our mount with it miss-aligning if you are using it with the correct screws. It is a very solid adjustment method .

mdowney
2011.01.26, 09:02 PM
Excellent! I'll put my order in.

Felix2010
2011.01.26, 09:16 PM
CT & Co., I have to say - Nice job :) Cool looking motor pod you have coming out. The style is definitely unique and I especially like the fact that the adjustable damper-plate/TDS arm is a solid "U" joint screwed down to both sides of the mount. With a lot of guys running TDS, and Damper Plate Systems as well, this should help the motor return to center-zero much more accurately.

I hope that you can fit "Reflex Racing" on the pod somewhere to show your name on the pod, It would be cool IMO.

The weight stated as being 5.1grams - Is that with standard steel screws? Or with titanium hardware installed?

Thanks for posting the pics and the info. Been waiting to check it out, since you did say you were comig out with a motor pod that would blow everything else away...:) I'm not sure for me that this RR pod blows every other pod on the market away, but this RR pod is a solid design with a decent price tag. I hope to be able to grab one myslef:D

Cherub1m
2011.01.26, 09:58 PM
That is correct. With the MM t-plate in the forward position, you can do 94 and 96mm. If you move the t-plate back one position, it will do 98 and 100mm. 94/96/98mm are currently supported by the RR tri-damper as well. For 100mm, it should be possible with some modification to the damper plate to allow for more clearance for the top shock post on the mount.

I have been running the prototype mount for some time, and really like it. There are very few changes to the production mount from what I can see, so I am really looking forward to getting my hands on one, or two... or three :D

Very nice :D

CristianTabush
2011.01.26, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

In my opinion, it blows all the functionality of all other available pods away. But you are right, that is a very subjective statement. We just have not shown all the variations of the pod that are to come. All I can say is that they won't be just 95 and 97 WB capabilities, but rather some other really cool features that we have to keep secret for the time being. This mount is still not fully accessorized.

The weight quoted is with the supplied hardware.

Tjay
2011.01.26, 10:27 PM
Holy S***! That pod looks light! Now I know where I'll spend my $40 on. ;)

Good job on this pod RR!!

Q t
2011.01.26, 10:33 PM
i saw this in the atomic mods video and was wondering if this will come w/ a diffusor like how it was on in the video. if i pre order will it come w/ a diffusor or is the diffusor just a mod that u did?

CristianTabush
2011.01.26, 11:45 PM
The motor mount will come without a diffusor, but it is compatible with the Atomic one. We also hope to come out with a Lexan one.

Felix2010
2011.01.27, 12:04 AM
I see nothing wrong with subjective statements CT.:) You took a look at what was out there and made improvements where you saw necessary. The light-weight, cool+different+functional design, And now that you mention there are secret accessories in the works for this pod.... I'm impressed. I didn't mean to come across like I was throwing the quote "Blow all other motor pods away" back in your face or anything like that, on the contrary, I see why you said what you said because your pod addresses all the major issues we could have right now with motor pods pretty much.

I hope to hear more in the near future about more things your RR Motor pod can do and what accessories are in the works.

Thanks for answering all my questions also, it is appreciated:)

Q t
2011.01.27, 12:13 AM
The motor mount will come without a diffusor, but it is compatible with the Atomic one. We also hope to come out with a Lexan one.

too bad atomic doesnt sell it seperate but would there be a weight difference with the diffusor with lexan and with w/e the atomic one is made out of? and did u see any performance difference w/ and w/o a diffusor?

CristianTabush
2011.01.27, 10:14 AM
The atomic diffuser is a bit heavier than lexan, but perhaps we get them to OEM some for us.

I ran a diffuser at the Worlds, I felt like it gave the car a bit more high speed stability on long sweeping turns.

saddad
2011.01.27, 02:20 PM
will the pn racing tri shock sets fit on this mount? (just got a pn one & dont want to buy another one if i dont need to)if it does i'll get my order in to reflex racing.eu tomorrow

JuniorWKR
2011.01.27, 03:46 PM
as far as attachment i believe it will as the reflex side shock can be mounted on a pn pod... just have to wait for CT's response as to if there are any clearance issues... i was very interested i this also as i have all my side shocks dialed and would hate to be forced to change to run this pod...

CristianTabush
2011.01.27, 05:53 PM
Yes, it will work with the PN Side shock too! :) We try to make all our parts backwards compatible with other brands, so that people can mix and match as they wish!

Rune
2011.02.17, 05:36 AM
Finally got to try out the new motormount.

5 grams including all hardware.
Super compact.
Extremely user friendly design.
Motor can be removed with ease even with tri shock systems installed.
Gear mesh adjustment without loosen the motor from the mount.
94-96-98-100mm wheelbase with regular MM T-plates.

More pics and information here:
http://www.mini-znorway.com/2011/02/reflex-racing-adjustable-wheelbase.html
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/TVzl48Vko9I/AAAAAAAADIs/cs9ZQ7o8tUU/IMG_7678.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/TVzl33iJjRI/AAAAAAAADIc/vQbJhsDN6cQ/IMG_7682.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/TVzl76h69XI/AAAAAAAADJM/T7TTAFv6d_I/IMG_7691.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/TVzlx4A_vfI/AAAAAAAADHU/Ms4N539ur-s/IMG_7714.JPG (http://www.mini-znorway.com/2011/02/reflex-racing-adjustable-wheelbase.html)

EMU
2011.02.17, 11:28 AM
Great review Rune. I have one of the earlier prototypes, I race it regularly and it still performs well (no change in tweak/misalignment) due to the light weight. Your car looks nearly identical to mine, minus the diff shaft, preload spacers on the top shock, and antenna. I too like the gold diff and wheelnuts with the blue mount and tower :) Any chance we can see a video of the car in action?

chad508
2011.02.17, 12:35 PM
now thats a load of preload spacers. may be what i have to do to get the qteq tbar to work

Rune
2011.02.17, 06:08 PM
I love this mount. Took a couple of hits today, with no misalignment at all.
Will se if I can get a vid of it in action.
A guy caught some video on the track today, hovering a helicopter with camera over the track just over the roof of the cars.
I will check with him.
This setup is the most consistent I have ever used. It is super easy to drive consistent, and also very easy to push extremely hard if needed. Now ready for PNWC Sweden:D

EMU: What spring are you using on your top shock?

The car is now so light, I have 10 grams to play with regarding ballast to get it up to 175 grams.

Regarding the preload spacers. I have used the springs from the ATM damper with great results. The black one are perfect, but I have only one. The silver one is a tad to stiff. See the pic below for the springs I am talking about.
To get the Kyosho springs to work with the QteQ T-bar, i have to shim as you see in the pictures. Quite lot:)
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/S-wvr3GxzuI/AAAAAAAAB84/26hjh_wokq4/s320/IMG_6341.JPG (http://www.mini-znorway.com/2011/02/reflex-racing-adjustable-wheelbase.html)

EMU
2011.02.17, 07:20 PM
Rune, I have a yellow Kyosho spring in one car, black ATM spring (pictured above) in another :rolleyes: I reversed the direction of the spring perch, which increased preload, so I was able to get away with using less preload spacers. I use Qteq t-bars in both cars :)

Q t
2011.02.17, 09:37 PM
wow this is nice! and this is getting shipped out already?

VAzRACER
2011.02.17, 10:28 PM
wow this is nice! and this is getting shipped out already?

No, not yet. Pre orders are up and I think CT said they will ship some time in April. This is the final version that Rune has, there were 5 actual production version mounts that were made and shipped out to team drivers. EMU and a few others have the origional prototypes. The proto mount isnt much differnt from the final version. Check the Reflex website for more info and pics.

I do have to agree with what Rune and EMU have said about this mount. It's light, strong, versitile, and easy to use. This is by far the best mount I have installed on a miniz, to adjust the gear messh you only have to loosen one screw, to change the wheel base you only need to remove four screws and the bar the tri-damper mount is made in a U shape and attaches to both sides of the mount. Its really solid and wont move out of place.

Q t
2011.02.18, 12:47 AM
No, not yet. Pre orders are up and I think CT said they will ship some time in April. This is the final version that Rune has, there were 5 actual production version mounts that were made and shipped out to team drivers. EMU and a few others have the origional prototypes. The proto mount isnt much differnt from the final version. Check the Reflex website for more info and pics.

I do have to agree with what Rune and EMU have said about this mount. It's light, strong, versitile, and easy to use. This is by far the best mount I have installed on a miniz, to adjust the gear messh you only have to loosen one screw, to change the wheel base you only need to remove four screws and the bar the tri-damper mount is made in a U shape and attaches to both sides of the mount. Its really solid and wont move out of place.

oh ok haha cause i was like hey what about me? i pre ordered 1 too =( and didnt get notified haha but cant wait. and has anyone of the 5 people that have 1 tried it with the atomic diffusor?

VAzRACER
2011.02.18, 01:33 AM
oh ok haha cause i was like hey what about me? i pre ordered 1 too =( and didnt get notified haha but cant wait. and has anyone of the 5 people that have 1 tried it with the atomic diffusor?

CT ran a ATM diffusor at the Worlds this past year. I looked at it on the car. It fit nice and looked really good. He said it made the car feel more planted in high speed sweepers. He is supposed to release a lexan version to go with the mount, until then I think I will try to make my own.

VAzRACER
2011.02.18, 01:35 AM
Here are his exact words.

I ran a diffuser at the Worlds, I felt like it gave the car a bit more high speed stability on long sweeping turns.

Felix2010
2011.04.03, 04:21 AM
Could someone explain how the gear mesh is adjusted exactly? I can't quite wrap my head around it from the photos:o... It's not the photos really but more just me...:o:)... But it looks like the motor is secured via 2 screws to a "motor plate" type alloy piece that then screws to the main frame of the mount - But with only 1 screw?

Is there any news on the RR diffuser for this mount? I know we can mock one up ourselves with a small piece of plastic/lexan, but I think it would be even better for RR to have a Reflex-designed part for every piece accessory of the mount, and have them intended all to work in harmony with each other... That would be pretty darn cool:cool.....::D

Looking forward to putting one on my whip:D

VAzRACER
2011.04.03, 10:12 AM
Could someone explain how the gear mesh is adjusted exactly? I can't quite wrap my head around it from the photos:o... It's not the photos really but more just me...:o:)... But it looks like the motor is secured via 2 screws to a "motor plate" type alloy piece that then screws to the main frame of the mount - But with only 1 screw?

Is there any news on the RR diffuser for this mount? I know we can mock one up ourselves with a small piece of plastic/lexan, but I think it would be even better for RR to have a Reflex-designed part for every piece accessory of the mount, and have them intended all to work in harmony with each other... That would be pretty darn cool:cool.....::D

Looking forward to putting one on my whip:D

The motor plate is actually held onto the motor with one screw. There are two screws that hold the motor plate to the mount. The lower screw is threaded into the motor plate and acts as the piviot point for adjusting the gear mesh. The upper screw is longer and goes through the mount and motor plate and threads directly into the motor can. The upper screw had room to move back and forth to adjust the mesh.

The whole system actually works really well. I have been using the mount for almost two months now and have had zero issues with it. The only problem I have is that I want one for my other cars!

I havent talked to CT about the diffuser recently so I dont really know what is in the works at this time.

CristianTabush
2011.04.15, 09:45 AM
The motor mounts are on the way from the Factory. They should be arriving around Wednesday. We will fill our orders as quickly as we can, but it will probably take us a couple of days to get all of them out. Our Target is to have all orders filled by Monday the 25th.

EMU
2011.04.15, 12:27 PM
Im so excited, it feels like X-mas and my birthday have both arrived early... :)

Cherub1m
2011.04.16, 04:44 PM
Yep Ron from Cruzin with RC will be reserving one for me. Looking forward to trying the mount.

CristianTabush
2011.04.20, 02:40 PM
Motor mounts are now in stock!!!

All pre-orders through the store have shipped! We are working on getting out dealer orders today. All pre-orders will have shipped by Friday!

Kevin S.
2011.04.20, 02:48 PM
Motor mounts are now in stock!!!

All pre-orders through the store have shipped! We are working on getting out dealer orders today. All pre-orders will have shipped by Friday!

Sweet :D. Cant wait to get this mount on the car

EMU
2011.04.20, 04:17 PM
SWEEET!!!! I cant wait to get them, and set up my cars...

JuniorWKR
2011.04.21, 09:05 AM
got my pods last night and all i can say is SSSWWWEEEEETTTTTTTT....

very well thought out design for a racers pod... extremely light compared to the pods i have been running... love the design of the arm for the side shock with mounts on both sides to keep arm from flexing.... love the idea for the motor mount as one screw goes through everything into the motor and the other screw is a set screw for gear mesh.... excellent clearance from the diff... no worries there at all of the motor tab hitting the diff shaft.. also incorporates excellent cleareance from the chassis and the tplate as well... bearing sleeves have great fitment... awesome idea on how the pod goes from 94mm to 96mm... you can do it on the fly at anytime without having to take the car apart... its truely that easy... 2 screws...

there are a few things to keep in mind when running this pod that came to light last night... one is if you runn the reflex dps post you will need to mount it upside down... if the flange is down you will nto be able to fit the side shock arm... also if you are looking at the rear of the car the left side body tab will need to be shaved down some to make room for the pod to move correctly... also i talked to CT last nite... there seems to be a mix up from the factory and the 2 countersunk screws that hold the tplate bar on are too short... its screws i had in my box so its no biggie but CT is on this matter already and will shortly be shipping out the correct screws to everyone that has already placed an order...

other then that i think this a well design funtional pod... and should give some amazing results on the track... i cant wait for our race nite tomorrow..

other then those two minor points great execution and i cant wait to get it on the track tomorrow and see what it can do...

CristianTabush
2011.04.21, 11:18 AM
Yes, as Junior stated, they included the wrong type of screw for the T Bar Mount on the motor mount. You need a 5mm screw, they put a 3mm screw in there. If you have received a mount, please contact us and I will make sure you get some correct screws.

The dealer orders were caught in time, with the exception of MZR, which I will make sure David gets the info. The rest of the pods will be delayed shipment until Monday when I recieve the correct length screws.

Again, if you ordered on the mount at our store, chances are you have already had your shipped. We understand that many of you have the screws in your box, so it should not be a big deal, but if you need or want the correct length screws, let us know and we will take care of it.

As for the DPS post, this was not really an issue. The intention was always to flip it over, since the tri-shock was originally developed for the PN mount, which has no flange, we had no clearance issues in design. In an effort to keep parts to a minimum we thought of this simple solution, this way it works great!

EMU
2011.04.21, 11:42 AM
if you are looking at the rear of the car the left side body tab will need to be shaved down some to make room for the pod to move correctly...
This should only be an issue for 94mm. 96mm and up should not have to do any modification to the side clip.

Thanks for the feedback. I havent received my mounts yet, hopefully today :)

JuniorWKR
2011.04.21, 11:44 AM
This should only be an issue for 94mm. 96mm and up should not have to do any modification to the side clip.

Thanks for the feedback. I havent received my mounts yet, hopefully today :)

you are correct emu... this modification to side clip is only for 94mm....

JuniorWKR
2011.04.21, 11:49 AM
i finished the asswmbly late last night... i will clean it up and take some pics for you guys... very excited about this pod...

mini-z
2011.04.21, 11:58 AM
The dealer orders were caught in time, with the exception of MZR, which I will make sure David gets the info. The rest of the pods will be delayed shipment until Monday when I recieve the correct length screws.

Yay that it sounds like ours shipped first :D, but d'oh RE screw issue :p - please LMK the plan ASAP! :)

Rune
2011.04.27, 06:51 PM
Really looking forward to get a more of these mounts.
They rock!:D
Can it get more compact than this:D
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_2uRHE7AV3zs/TVw50qplYzI/AAAAAAAADFc/xBacOapqIgc/s1024/IMG_7684.JPG

I just hope the Postal service are quick this time.:rolleyes:

herman
2011.04.27, 11:26 PM
thanks for the pic rune...
checked your site... did you do a review for the mount?

EMU
2011.04.28, 12:47 AM
Just got one installed :) Planning to try this out for Pan at the East Coast Districts at MHS Saturday...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=31724&stc=1&d=1303966018

Rune
2011.04.28, 03:17 AM
thanks for the pic rune...
checked your site... did you do a review for the mount?

Sure did.
Click here for the first review (http://www.mini-znorway.com/2011/02/reflex-racing-adjustable-wheelbase.html)

Click here for the long term summary
(http://www.mini-znorway.com/2011/04/long-term-reviews-little-write-up-on-my.html)

Cherub1m
2011.05.10, 12:29 PM
Thanks for sharing everyone. I got the mount and plan on running it set at 96mm. For some reason after going to 94mm i could not get my cars to run has well at 98mm. So the plan is try 96mm and use some of the 98mm bodies. Any suggestion on body choices at 96mm?

EMU
2011.05.10, 12:32 PM
I have had good results with the f430GT and Mosler at 96mm. I also tried the 599, but didnt like it too much.

Rune
2011.05.10, 02:04 PM
Mosler, SC430, GT-R08, 350Z 07 and 599 in 96mm works well for me.

CristianTabush
2011.05.10, 02:07 PM
Thanks for sharing everyone. I got the mount and plan on running it set at 96mm. For some reason after going to 94mm i could not get my cars to run has well at 98mm. So the plan is try 96mm and use some of the 98mm bodies. Any suggestion on body choices at 96mm?

Remember the motor mount can also be run in 98mm, so it might actually work well for you in that config. Especially since you guys run on Carpet.

Cherub1m
2011.05.10, 04:30 PM
I have had good results with the f430GT and Mosler at 96mm. I also tried the 599, but didnt like it too much.

Thanks

Mosler, SC430, GT-R08, 350Z 07 and 599 in 96mm works well for me.

Thanks, is the 350z 07 still available as a white body? can't seem to find it.

Remember the motor mount can also be run in 98mm, so it might actually work well for you in that config. Especially since you guys run on Carpet.

I am looking forward to trying many of the configurations :D. Do you feel 98mm has an advantage on carpet?

Rune
2011.05.10, 04:55 PM
Thanks

Thanks, is the 350z 07 still available as a white body? can't seem to find it.

Sorry. It is very hard to find these days.

Just bought two of them on ebay. but.......
Dont have much faith in getting them. Bought two for a couple of months ago that never showed up. Same seller this time.
My guess is a refund again:mad:

CristianTabush
2011.05.10, 05:45 PM
Well, it's not the wheelbase that has the advantage, but the slightly higher CG of the mount vs let's say the PN V4 98mm mount. This is the reason atomic mounts are typically made with higher cg. The super low cg mounts excel in Super High Grip conditions, whereas higher cg mounts do better in a variety of conditions and tend to be more versatile.

GIHOSU
2011.05.10, 06:02 PM
I am looking forward to trying many of the configurations :D. Do you feel 98mm has an advantage on carpet?

I have 2 94mm cars, mod and Cruizin hatchback, and both took the RR mount with some trimming and they go. I also have a mod 02 using a RR 96mm t-plate and RR mount in the 96mm position for a 98mm wheelbase. It has so much steering with the 599XX that I have to change the front tires to decrease grip. With a lot of motor 98mm cars work well. My 98mm AWD with the Enzo is really working. Now the work begins to make my 94mm work. The big guns in 2WD mod who run at 98mm where we race can do 30+ laps in qualifying so it will be good to try or build a 2nd mod car.

Cherub1m
2011.05.10, 10:18 PM
Well, it's not the wheelbase that has the advantage, but the slightly higher CG of the mount vs let's say the PN V4 98mm mount. This is the reason atomic mounts are typically made with higher cg. The super low cg mounts excel in Super High Grip conditions, whereas higher cg mounts do better in a variety of conditions and tend to be more versatile.

That makes lots of sense, I have the PN V4 98mm low CG mount and my 98mm cars just don't feel has planted has the higher CG 94mm. I Just finish setting up the mount I set it at 96mm the mount is a true work of art. Nice work Reflex Racing (CT). I will be doing some testing on the smooth carpet on Saturday at Cruzin with RC's.

it will be good to try or build a 2nd mod car.

Yeah I agree I will now have a 94mm and a 96mm with Reflex motor mount:D

LED
2011.05.11, 03:06 AM
To be on the safe side before ordering, any fitting issues on the MR02 ?

chad508
2011.05.11, 03:49 AM
no different than the 03

glider
2011.05.28, 11:47 PM
Well this thread has been interesting reading. Frankly after examining the situation I find Mini-Z Norway to be a shill for Reflex Racing products, and not a reliable objective opinion. There is a whole lot of BS here IMO. My own experience with this motor mount finds it very very difficult to mount properly aligned with their "instructions" and for very good reason.

Reflex Racing's instructions are to "not tighten the first beveled screw too tightly" to its motor mount adapter or it will cause the motor to be misaligned. Well folks the proper translation of that phrase is that one needs to tighten the screw absolutely just the proper amount to get a precise alignment. Well after about 20 attempts and failures to perform that task I decided these guys screwed the design up and there must be a better solution. Of course if you don't really care maybe you will be happy with what RR and Rune are claiming to be good alignment. If so ignorance is bliss and you can be happy with your grinding gears and have no reason to read further.

My solution to this motor mount is the following. The problem is a bit like trying to torque down a cylinder block properly by torquing only on the bolts on one side of the head fully first. It ain't going to work out dude. The first screw that RR asks you not screw too tightly is not easily accessed later and its proper tightness can only be guessed. Good luck! So this inevitably leads to the misalignment of the motor for us mere mortals or people with good eye sight. So what to do to remedy this situation? Fortunately the remedy is fairly simple has nothing to do with special "magical screws".

First place a 0.2mm spacer between the motor and the aluminum surface it contacts that is tightened by the beveled screw. Go ahead and tighten it down snugly as the spacer will protect it from being misaligned due to over-tightening on the motor surface. Next mount this assembly onto the motor mount placing an additional 0.2mm spacer between the motor surface and the aluminum surface clamped down by the upper adjustment screw, and finally place another 0.2mm spacer between the bottom mount screw and the 2 aluminum surfaces it fastens together (read this bit carefully, I do not fully understand why this is necessary but it is what I needed to be successful). This will significantly improve the alignment without magic screws. To fine tune this to near perfection play with loosening the first screw just a bit (you need to move the motor adjustment full forward to access the screw to do this bit). By the way to critically judge the alignement of the motor look at it from the bottom sighting down the two parallel surfaces of the motor and compare them to the plane of the axle as this is where the misalignment is most apparent.

After all this massaging the alignment looks pretty good and given the simple fix I am happy with the product. I would have been happier if RR had fessed up to the design issues and given proper instructions to remedy them without having having its customers each spend some hours working these problems out. Ditto with the RR Tri Damper system which has its own hidden problems. Good products without good instruction is what I see so far.

chad508
2011.05.29, 12:02 AM
personally i find reflex to be the only company to give any type of instructions for any product. second all aftermarket products have there own little issues and to think one can just bolt something up and it be perfect is just kidding themselves. i never had a problem with motor alignment on mine maybe i was lucky. but to come on here and just call "bs" on the whole thread is bs in my opinion. but to each his own. im just curious if you have tried other aftermarket companies parts with perfect results every time.

glider
2011.05.29, 12:56 AM
personally i find reflex to be the only company to give any type of instructions for any product. second all aftermarket products have there own little issues and to think one can just bolt something up and it be perfect is just kidding themselves. i never had a problem with motor alignment on mine maybe i was lucky. but to come on here and just call "bs" on the whole thread is bs in my opinion. but to each his own. im just curious if you have tried other aftermarket companies parts with perfect results every time.

Regarding aftermarket products I appreciate RRs excellent design features but in my limited experience they require more massaging than PNR. Granted that could be the luck of the draw. So Chad are you saying that following the instructions you got enable you to get an aligned motor when sighted as I say? If so I would like to meet you and have you show me. Perhaps the universe's physics where I live are distorted. Rather than suggest that I am out of order for not being politically correct with what may be your associates please state objectively what is wrong with my input. You say your motor is aligned to your pleasure. OK, I am happy for you, but that means nothing to anyone but you. For it to mean something to other readers please tell us the following: Looking from the bottom down the flat surface of the motor what is the perpendicular distance to the axle from the motor to the left and right side of your happily aligned motor?

CristianTabush
2011.05.29, 02:35 AM
Regarding the motor alignment:

There is no real reason to run the countersunk screw, except as a guide and to make the gear mesh easier to set. This is why it does not need to be tightened too much. There is no "Magic" amount either, it is just screwing it in without cranking on it, because this will co-ck (sorry the word gets edited out) the motor sideways. It is not a tightening screw, but rather a guide screw.

The issue here, is due to all the different motors. The shape of the motor can is not completely flat, and all cans are slightly different. The motor will still be tight without the countersunk screw and due to the design it will not fall out as it rests up again the inside of the mount. We encountered this during prototyping, but found no better alternative, since all motors are different, especially in the ring that goes around the shaft side bushing/bearing. We could eliminate the screw all-together but then the fact that the diameter of all motors on this end is different would not allow the gear mesh to be set properly very easily. If placing a washer there allow you to crank that screw, then awesome, but this is not necessary.

I am sorry if you find the instructions unsatisfactory, if you ever have questions, we can give you more specific suggestions and other tips to you just by sending an email, asking on the thread or giving us a call. We are not unreachable and if you cannot make something work for you we are always there to help.

color01
2011.05.29, 05:48 AM
glider, dude, from what I see there's only two things that could've happened.

1) Countersunk screw is contacting the mount, wedging the bracket out of alignment. This is not a design flaw per se but a manufacturing, or parts supply defect. Send that back to Cristian, OR go find a smaller screw, OR ask Cristian to send you a smaller screw.

2) Mild steel motor can is flexing when you tighten just one screw. That's not surprising... mild steel flexes a lot, that's what it does naturally when you tighten an inclined object into it, such as a screw. When you tighten the other motor screw sufficiently I guarantee that motor can will bend back into its aligned position. If it doesn't do that naturally then you have another manufacturing defect on your hands, either from the bracket or from the motor can itself.

What's more fun, by introducing spacers into the equation you're reducing the actual contact surface between the motor and bracket, and the bracket and mount. In the original design, the shape of the bracket will push against the mount inner surface to keep the motor aligned when the motor torque pushes the gears apart from each other. If your spacers are too small in diameter, no matter how tight you crank those screws you're going to have mount flex when you hit the throttle, and if that happens, screw proper alignment -- you're going to affect your gear mesh when the pinion torques itself away from the diff axle. If you decide to put in a Mod motor and the PN 126p gears, you won't just affect your gear mesh, you'll in fact destroy teeth. A little flex is all it takes and the spacers are not going to help vs. Reflex's original design.

I'd like to ask you to take a series of pictures from two angles -- top, back -- showing the alignment of your motor with spacers, and without spacers. Your issue is too trivial to be a design flaw, and the fix you've come up with is potentially very bad for your gears in the long run and completely NOT recommended unless you can get some wider shims in there.

saddad
2011.05.29, 02:51 PM
I've fitted the mount to my mr03 with no problems & along with the pn tri shock system i've gone from running 6/7 of 7 about 5 laps down to 3/4 1 to 2 laps down with occasonal heat wins so i must say i like the reflex kit (my hFAY times have gone from th 50's upto the 60's i race in the uk)

Rune
2011.05.29, 03:33 PM
Did you use the correct screws?
Take a look at these pics. If you are using a longer screw than supplied in this position, you can cause misalignment. The motor can will bend. it is as color01 say, made of flexible steel.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-q5iaqH6Wh8Y/TeKfCxSSi0I/AAAAAAAADtU/4uhLuiiC96s/2.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oRkOg1v2i64/TeKfCj3OthI/AAAAAAAADtQ/h2lw-een3lk/1.jpg

glider
2011.05.31, 01:50 AM
Guys, thanks for all the feedback and for not jumping on me too much after my "frustration" post that I regret in some areas for sure. I think the issue with me was as Christion described. The motor can surface is somewhat curved so it made the tightness of the first screw very demanding (like loosen it a turn or two!). I definitely did not have a problem with the lower outer screw butting against the motor and made sure of that by inserting a piece of paper between the can and the screw exit point. I still like my spacer solution given my problem and am not too worried about the reduced contact area as it is secured at 3 points rather than 2 points.

At any rate I think it is safe to say that one needs to pay attention to detail in assembling the motor on this mount. That said right now I am very happy with the mount as I can easily switch between 94 and 96mm which is where I want this Mini-Z to be :-) and I now understand how to mount it well aligned, which once done is not an issue. Not to mention that I love the ice blue color as superficial as that bit goes. I got to run it today and the alignment was good enough to elicit a comment of "I think that must be the quietest Mini-Z I have heard" even though I was running a non-stock motor.

LED
2011.06.01, 05:30 PM
I got mine today, still have to put it together.
I would like to use it for 96 98 mm.
Is there any way to this besides using a 96 mm H-plate ? (MR02)

Thx

VAzRACER
2011.06.01, 05:42 PM
I got mine today, still have to put it together.
I would like to use it for 96 98 mm.
Is there any way to this besides using a 96 mm H-plate ? (MR02)

Thx

Just move the t-plate back one notch on the chassis using a 94m t-palte.

LED
2011.06.02, 03:24 AM
But that will give me 98 100 doesnt it?
I want 96 98 without heving to move the H-plate

hrdrvr
2011.06.02, 08:37 AM
^ Then you have to use a 96mm T-plate.

ruf
2011.06.03, 09:27 PM
glider - I'm glad you got it working for you, and I'm glad you like it! Now how does it drive for you? ;)

yahuzz
2011.06.20, 08:24 AM
Hi, i'm having some trouble in mounting this motor mount whitin a 17mm motor... Is it normal or it's me doing something wrong????
Because with standard size motor no problem, but trying to use 17mm one i cannot match pinion 11T with RR 53T spur...

Anyway, this is so far the best motor mount i tried... it's the lightest and sturdy i've ever seen! i've beaten best time lap on the track i run on immediately after having mounted it!

LED
2011.06.27, 04:46 PM
Well I got around to testing it a couple of weeks ago.
No trouble what so ever installing it, although I keep wondering why you use such small cross-head screws. Why not flat head...
But thtas beside the point.
I did not get it running as good as my PN motor mount. But I did use it on 98mm on high grip RCP. My plan was to try some 94 and 96 mm setups with it later, so I'm hoping I will be satisfied with it then. I do like the blue color of it.

The one thing I keep missing with these adjustable motor mounts is one where you can change from 94 to 98 without having to move the H-bar (yeah I'm still on MR02).

CristianTabush
2011.06.28, 12:49 AM
You still have to move the H bar to get 98mm.

glider
2011.08.12, 07:01 PM
Hi Joe,

Yes, I do have my motor mount working well and now better aligned than my PN motor mounted car, but I must say my driving skills need a lot of work! At least I have most of my car issues worked out now. I will post a pic of my installed Reflex motor mount with its few tweaks shortly.

IMO, all this mount takes is two very simple tweaks to be excellent.

1) To overcome imperfections in the cheapo Mini-Z stamped motor case assemble the motor to the sub-mount with two 0.1mm spacers (common 0.2 should be fine). Screw in on alternating back and forth as is done for tightening down a cylinder head, but at the end tighten them very snugly. Then remove the position adjuster screw, and mount every thing on the motor mount as described by Reflex. This adapts the motor case imperfections squarely on the RR mount and I think is something that can be applied to all the various motor mounts available.

2) There are 2 screws that need to be massaged to allow them to be substituted by titanium equivalents. The screw that the motor pivots on needs to be replaced with a titanium screw that is Dremeled down to prevent it from hitting the motor and causing misalignment. Secondly, when replacing the motor adjuster screw with a titanium screw (bigger head) one aggravates the problem of having a change in the gear lash setting induced by the tightening of this mounting screw. The problem is that this screw tends to move in the radially oriented slot. PN Mounts overcome this issue, at the cost of some weight, by having adjustments done only on the horizontal plane. Frankly, this only became a significant issue when I was setting gear lash on very sensitive 128 pitch gear trains (which are definitely not recommended in a trouble free setup, LOL). But this is easily solved by adding a star-style-lock-washer (real name?) to prevent screw migration during tightening down.

My favorite bits about this mount are its robustness with low weight and its very solid damper post relative to the PN mounts. Clearance is not an issue after a little Dremel action :-)