PDA

View Full Version : Snowmageddon 2011 (East Coast)

arch2b
2011.01.26, 10:12 PM
well, thanks to 9 inches of snow in 4 hours, i had the longest commute home since 911 when i simply stayed in the city till nightfall. the snow started falling about 4pm downtown so i thought i would beat the rush and leave at 5pm instead of the normal 7pm. i spent 1.5 hours (normally 50 minutes) on the metro to shady grove and then 4 hours from the train station to home (normally 20 minutes). walked in the door at 10:30pm. took another 30 minutes to shovel a spot in the driveway to get the car off the street.

i saw over 50 stuck or abondoned cars, trucks, busses. i got stuck myself once thanks to some knuckle head stopping in the middle of the road for no apparent reason bringing the wagon trail behind him to a halt. one bus tipped over blocking a road, half a dozen tree's downed in roads and 1 power transformer on a pole explode as i approached and passed it. that was freaky.

9.5" of snow on my front porch.

anyone else in the washington metro area have a similar commute?

standupnfall
2011.01.26, 10:47 PM
I had an easy commute home tonight, (drive 4 miles) from work but it is bad out there now and tomorrow morning should be rough going to get there by 9am.

Whats great is I just got a mini-96 track in my house last week!
:)

soulstice
2011.01.26, 11:04 PM
i had a 4 hour commute and I left at 3:30pm.

Then I had the pleasure of shoveling snow for 3 hours due to a number of factors.

Fun!

Skv012a
2011.01.26, 11:28 PM
Luckily I didn't have to go anywhere today, but getting outta that NYC blizzard weeks ago... that was fun.

Action B
2011.01.27, 01:03 AM
Maya and I had a time making it home from our usual 5 minute commute home from work. Took is around 35 minutes. Saw a 350z spun out in a ditch. I was amazed at how many people think that when the car is having trouble moving forward the solution is to floor it.

My boss took 5 hours to get home from DC today. Apparently she almost ran out of gas.

Skv012a
2011.01.27, 01:51 AM
I was amazed at how many people think that when the car is having trouble moving forward the solution is to floor it.

It IS the solution, but keeping it floored straight is what people don't get how to do lol.

Action B
2011.01.27, 03:17 AM
It IS the solution, but keeping it floored straight is what people don't get how to do lol.
Not in the snow good sir. Its best to be gentle on throttle and maintain control, flooring it gets you stuck.

arch2b
2011.01.27, 06:54 AM
keeping momentum... i'd rather drop it into 1 or 2 and keep constant than floor it spinning all over the place. that is more important than speed. thats why i was furious with the idiot infront of us stopping in the road bringing everyone to a stop. that alone added significant time to my trip.

fun trip in this morning. the roads were very good all things considered. i actually got to work early. i can't tell you how many abandoned mercedes, jags, bmw's i saw littering the roads. i thought it was rather amusing personally. i even saw a land rover parked up off the curb. curious as to how one gets a land rover stuck:confused:

the snow removal process was an abject failure given that the entire event was forecasted well in advance. we saw numerous snow truck simply pass everyone on the side leaving hills unplowed. i understand it was impossible to keep up with the rate snow was falling but there were no snow truck caravans to follow at all. none.

standupnfall
2011.01.27, 06:56 AM
Just shoveled out of the 10 inches we got in lower Westchester and am about to jump in the shower and head out. thankfully Im only 4 miles from work.
Wish me luck!

bermbuster
2011.01.27, 08:00 AM
Maya and I had a time making it home from our usual 5 minute commute home from work. Took is around 35 minutes. Saw a 350z spun out in a ditch. I was amazed at how many people think that when the car is having trouble moving forward the solution is to floor it.

My boss took 5 hours to get home from DC today. Apparently she almost ran out of gas.

I believe the logic relates to HP....they think that HP will magically get you out of any bad situation....

I had a friend who thought that flooring the car would heat up the tires in turn melt the snow....:cool:

arch2b
2011.01.27, 08:07 AM
i chuckle in reading that but it's honestly true. for the most part, people in this area have no idea how to drive in these conditions as they are infrequent and no real lessons in drivers ed, etc. are provided.