PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Track

pedrocamp
2011.01.27, 12:35 PM
We are looking at setting up a track at a new location in Mooresville, NC and will be putting down some RCP track that has seen a few years of storage as well as foot traffic. It is quite dusty and low on traction even after a vacuum. We need to clean the track and restore it's racing surface, rough side.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

Repeated vacuuming (maybe a Roomba for 3 days)?
Use a carpet-style spray vac?
Light pressure wash with water?
Light pressure wash with Simple Green?
Mist with WD-40 and light pressure wash?
Any other recommended cleaners or chemicals?

Thanks.

hpgod
2011.01.27, 12:53 PM
I do not recommend chemicals.

We had a local track use them as traction compounds. grip fades to worse then before. The track softens and leave a oil behind.

My track gets plenty of foor track due to kids and I have a 12inch wide brush attachment I use to scrub the track. I then use the wand attachment for stubburn spots.

If its dried on dirt a washing may work. Try 1 tile scrub(maybe tray a rough kitchen sponge) with water then shop vaccuum dry. If you get it clean you will begin to wear in a new rubbered in surface.

hrdrvr
2011.01.27, 02:00 PM
We got some older tiles, and good ol' fashin' driving is what did the best for it. I tried repeated vacuuming, and wet scrubbing with a damp towel. Neither worked. I tried to keep those tiles seperate, but after many layout changes it just didnt happen. After a years worth of running you can not tell the difference in the tiles, and traction was blended within a couple of months.

dxm2
2011.01.27, 02:04 PM
I agree, I wouldn't use any chemicals on it other than soap and water. If the dirt is really dried on and stubborn, I'd use a very soft scrub brush with some warm water and dish soap.

JuniorWKR
2011.01.27, 02:56 PM
water and simple green in a big spray bottle... moisten entire layout and let sit over night... vacuum the next day... this should work... best thing to bring back traction is slit moisture... to much and it get spongy.. .just enough brings the traction and the life of the track back.. remember to keep it in simple idea terms its foam.. think of your kitchen sponge... what it looks like when its wet and what it looks like after sittin on the sink for a day all dried out...

bermbuster
2011.01.27, 03:42 PM
water and simple green in a big spray bottle... moisten entire layout and let sit over night... vacuum the next day... this should work... best thing to bring back traction is slit moisture... to much and it get spongy.. .just enough brings the traction and the life of the track back.. remember to keep it in simple idea terms its foam.. think of your kitchen sponge... what it looks like when its wet and what it looks like after sittin on the sink for a day all dried out...

Jr i couldnt have said it better......:D

briankstan
2011.01.27, 04:43 PM

just the water without the simple green will do the same. leaving the track out and just running on it will work as well, the more the track is used the better the traction is.

bermbuster
2011.01.27, 07:33 PM
just the water without the simple green will do the same. leaving the track out and just running on it will work as well, the more the track is used the better the traction is.

with the simple green(small amount).....you get emulsifiers and oxidizers that clean and allow the pores to open in the foam....enhancing traction....:cool:
when you vacuum the foam pores are cleansed from dust, debris,and other traction robbing particles.....the science of mini z mania....:D

herman
2011.01.27, 09:55 PM
pretty cool tips... :D thanks for sharing...