PDA

View Full Version : HFAY S11 Race 1 and 2

briankstan
2011.01.31, 08:32 AM
I have received times from the following clubs.

Racer:
DC GTG
HerefordF28UK
Salt Lake Mini-Z
CMZ EL Salvador
Mbl Micro Rc Racers
Stafford Racers UK
Ann Arbor Mini-Z Dojo
essex micro racers
ChiMini RC
Remnant Mini-Z
Burncity Mini-Z
minirc england
Mini-AZ

Formula 1:
Mbl Micro Rc Racers
Stafford Racers UK
Salt Lake Mini-Z
Mini-AZ

saddad
2011.01.31, 02:53 PM
I've just sent essex micro racers club times in

briankstan
2011.01.31, 03:44 PM
I've just sent essex micro racers club times in

got them, thanks.

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.01, 01:58 AM
ChiMini R/C results sent in.

briankstan
2011.02.01, 08:44 AM
ChiMini R/C results sent in.

received your times and times from Remnant Mini-Z

ukyo
2011.02.01, 09:10 AM
Burncity MiniZ results just sent

briankstan
2011.02.01, 09:38 AM
Burncity MiniZ results just sent

got them, thanks.

kryten
2011.02.01, 11:20 AM
MiniRc results will be with you tomorrow. :)

briankstan
2011.02.01, 11:37 AM

thanks for letting me know.

briankstan
2011.02.02, 04:49 PM

got them, List updated

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.02, 04:50 PM
Can't wait to see the results. Having met some of the Ann Arbor racers, I'd like to see how I compare :)

geeunit1014
2011.02.04, 12:10 AM
Can't wait to see the results. Having met some of the Ann Arbor racers, I'd like to see how I compare :)

Also anxious to see the results... :D

briankstan
2011.02.04, 12:01 PM

I'll be doing them tonight :)

mini-z
2011.02.04, 12:26 PM

Well, this was our first time running on a 2L layout in a couple of years (we became hooked on big tracks a while back!), and I don't think we got to the mains until the wee hours of Saturday AM, so, maybe don't judge us yet! :D I for one set my car on the track for the first time just minutes before the main IIRC and it was an old car I'd not run in years nor set up at all, using old batteries, so ... :o:p:eek::D

Mike Keely
2011.02.04, 05:42 PM

That's because you most likely beat everyone! I hope to have a better run for you next time.

geeunit1014
2011.02.04, 09:08 PM
That's because you most likely beat everyone! I hope to have a better run for you next time.

You guys were right there going clockwise, not sure what happened going to ccw :eek: Ive ran ccw a few times this year so it didnt phase me too much, maybe we need to run ccw a few times at garys to shape you guys up ;)

briankstan
2011.02.05, 06:22 PM
I have posted the results to the website.

you can see them here. www.howfastareyou.com

we had a great turn out with 140 drivers in Racer and 27 in Formula 1.

briankstan
2011.02.05, 06:23 PM
You guys were right there going clockwise, not sure what happened going to ccw :eek: Ive ran ccw a few times this year so it didnt phase me too much, maybe we need to run ccw a few times at garys to shape you guys up ;)

I always have a difficult time running counter clockwise, I always drop off about 7+ laps. I'm just not as smooth that direction. :eek::confused:

Mike Keely
2011.02.05, 11:50 PM

I just need my pinion not to slip.

chris130256
2011.02.06, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the results Brian. You're going to have your work cut out having so many racers this season.
It looks as though the bar has been raised for s11. Definately for us at Hereford now that Big Steve has got his own car:eek: and ChrisB has an 03.
Remnant have a stronger team and CMZ too. The results can go any way with each event. I'm already looking forwards to the next scores.
Good luck everyone.

briankstan
2011.02.06, 11:25 AM
We are working on a web entry form so the clubs will be entering in their results and the system will do it's sorting and generating of the points etc. It didn't quite make the completion that we were hoping for to launch S11, but is should be up be the end of this month and will help me out a lot. Good thing about it is if all goes well we can add some extra races in there like a monthly BTE or an OLPS with larger track. Stay Tuned. :)

mini-z
2011.02.06, 03:54 PM
We are working on a web entry form so the clubs will be entering in their results and the system will do it's sorting and generating of the points etc. It didn't quite make the completion that we were hoping for to launch S11, but is should be up be the end of this month and will help me out a lot. Good thing about it is if all goes well we can add some extra races in there like a monthly BTE or an OLPS with larger track. Stay Tuned. :)

:o Yep! Will have all kinds of graphing and other fun stats once we've got the basics sorted too. Potentially even directly integrating into timing software so that it's as simple as one click at some point...! :cool:

geeunit1014
2011.02.07, 12:00 AM
I just need my pinion not to slip.

Thats helps too lol. Really tight results, didnt think it would be that tight in both directions :eek:

5paco
2011.02.08, 08:21 PM
Really tight results as Gee said, only 4 points between the first four riders! It seems like season 11 will be even more battled than last years! I hope to get better results on the next races!

arch2b
2011.02.12, 11:45 PM
any chance we can see race stats for those that got 114 laps! i would love to see some charting/graphing on those races:p

chris130256
2011.02.13, 05:45 AM
any chance we can see race stats for those that got 114 laps! i would love to see some charting/graphing on those races:p

I am the Hfay referee (Mr Formula28) for Hereford F28Uk and can verify the legitimacy for th the 2 racers that achieved 114 laps. ChrisB and Big Steve achieved afew laps of 3.96-3.99, plenty of 4.00-4.09 but most were 4.10-4.19 with an average of 4.2. We use a rolling start with the racers spaced at 1/3 lap intervals to stop 1st corner crashes. I managed a 3.83 in practise using a modified. I even suggested to Chris and Steve that 116 would take the top score in the event.
I've posted on here a vid of my 3.99 second (it's a different track, sorry)lap to give you an idea of race lines. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnCzd51u2XA

Sorry, I've not got any graphs or charts of the race but will happily post the race individual lap times in future. Maybe that should be in the rules, so people can ask for verified results?

BTW, ChrisB was runner up in S10 using a 02i series but now runs an 03.

arch2b
2011.02.13, 10:37 AM
i'm not suggesting i don't have faith in your results, i would just like to see the average lap times and graphs to better appreciate the feat of 114 laps. :p i liked the line graphs core provided as you got a nice representation of the consistency and lead changes. i trust your results, otherwise hfay would be pointless. i am just looking forward to future capability to overlay the leaders laps on mine to compare.

chris130256
2011.02.13, 11:25 AM
i'm not suggesting i don't have faith in your results, i would just like to see the average lap times and graphs to better appreciate the feat of 114 laps. :p i liked the line graphs core provided as you got a nice representation of the consistency and lead changes. i trust your results, otherwise hfay would be pointless. i am just looking forward to future capability to overlay the leaders laps on mine to compare.

We use Giro Z and I'm not sure how to get the results ( average lap time and graphs) that you get from Core? I'd welcome any help on this topic.

mini-z
2011.02.13, 11:58 AM
I've posted on here a vid of my 3.99 second (it's a different track, sorry)lap to give you an idea of race lines. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnCzd51u2XA

Looks and moreover sounds very smooth - would love to see a spin-off thread w/ detailed setup! :) I don't think anyone's questioning the authenticity of your results, more just: wow, that's amazing, I'd like to see what one would have to do to achieve that, i.e. 0 mistakes and averaging just over 4 seconds per lap! :) I don't have ZRound on this machine but if you look in the data folder under ZRound in Program Files and then drill down by class, event, etc. you should find auto-generated HTML files w/ lap-by-lap info etc. LMK if you need more help and I'll post detailed instructions. Kudos to the driver in question and to those who raced with him and managed to stay out of his way enough to allow the achievement. Even being able to do laps that fast, it's still difficult to achieve with other traffic out there etc. Cool! :)

mini-z
2011.02.13, 12:07 PM
We use a rolling start with the racers spaced at 1/3 lap intervals to stop 1st corner crashes.

Oh, I hadn't noticed this the first time I read your post - is a rolling start legal per HFAY rules? Are you using staggered timing too for those 1/3 back cars? I'd never even considered these solutions to the typical first corner pileup! :eek::)

chris130256
2011.02.13, 12:19 PM
Thanks Mini-Z, I'll give that a look.
The detailed setup thread would be good. I'm always interested what others are using.
I was in the race where the 2 drivers did 114. They both lapped me 9 times (105 laps). I estimate I lost 2 laps getting out of the racing line. I think they both had 2 small errors during the race, that's why I thought 116 would be top score. They both liked the track and that helps a lot. This months track isn't so popular, so look out for lower scores!:D

I can't see anything in the rules about staggered/rolling starts. If it's outlawed we would start the race with a 2 metre gap between the cars to stop 1st corner incidents.

mini-z
2011.02.13, 12:47 PM
Really cool Chris - I'd love to see pics of these cars and video if you're able to take it in future. Not in anyway to contest your results - just that it sounds like some really good racing and I'd love to see it! :D

arch2b
2011.02.13, 12:55 PM
more my point as well, not disputing it, just very interested in seeing how it's done :p

geeunit1014
2011.02.13, 01:56 PM
Going clockwise, I hit a 3.7 (dont remember the hundreth) in HFAY trim, and 3.83 going CCW, I just didnt have the cleanest of runs going cw :( I would have loved to see that dueling 114 lap race, mustve been intense :D

mini-z
2011.02.13, 02:28 PM
geeunit, I'd love to see a setup thread from you too! :)

geeunit1014
2011.02.13, 02:52 PM
geeunit, I'd love to see a setup thread from you too! :)

Id be happy to post what I was running :)

Ferrari F430 body, 94mm, MR03 chassis

Front:
Reflex long kingpin front end, PN white springs, pn lowdown knuckles, .5mm spacer below knuckle, .5mm above
Tower bar set to 1* camber, 2* caster
Kyosho 30 fronts, trued down to 23ish mm (eyeballed), 0 front wheels

Rear:
Reflex tri shock setup w/ kyosho oil shock:
Red spring on oil shock, 40wt oil, 75% rebound
Silver springs on tri shock, kyosho 15k grease
Reflex soft t-bar
pn v4 pod (dont have the reflex one yet :D), axle spacers #1 up
Pn 8 radial tires, +1 wheels

1 tile turning circle, brass weights in slots under chassis

This setup was pretty neutral, If you get the line right on the track you dont need full lock on the wheel :D

chris b
2011.02.13, 07:52 PM
Going clockwise, I hit a 3.7 (dont remember the hundreth) in HFAY trim, and 3.83 going CCW, I just didnt have the cleanest of runs going cw :( I would have loved to see that dueling 114 lap race, mustve been intense :D

Steve & I have been racing together for over 20 years :eek: So we know each others driving stiles very well.

As far as being intense I was shaking from about lap 10 :D

I will let you know my set up in the morning.

geeunit1014
2011.02.13, 08:05 PM
Steve & I have been racing together for over 20 years :eek: So we know each others driving stiles very well.

As far as being intense I was shaking from about lap 10 :D

I will let you know my set up in the morning.

20 years wow, thats as much as ive been alive :eek: (sorry if that makes you feel old :p) I can definitely see that being nice when your in a close freight train when you know what the other guy is gonna do as well as you know what your gonna do :)

Mike Keely
2011.02.13, 08:18 PM
Oh, I hadn't noticed this the first time I read your post - is a rolling start legal per HFAY rules? Are you using staggered timing too for those 1/3 back cars? I'd never even considered these solutions to the typical first corner pileup! :eek::)
I would think no that this is not legal. We are using a tone start and we do have pile ups from this. I was thinking that it is a normal main like anyone would have at any normal race. I will look at the rules to see what it says. It may not have anything in the rules about this.

Mike Keely
2011.02.13, 08:40 PM
It just says the race mains are to be 8 minutes. It also says that we should start behind the loop and to space out as necessary. It also says that we should avoid jumping the start signal. This is the one that would make me think that we should all be using a tone start.

mini-z
2011.02.13, 09:36 PM
...1 tile turning circle...

G, that's something I've not seen mention of in setups before - cool thing to include - mind if I ask for an overview of your radio settings? :)

geeunit1014
2011.02.13, 10:08 PM
G, that's something I've not seen mention of in setups before - cool thing to include - mind if I ask for an overview of your radio settings? :)

Turning circle is overlooked, but very important. Its always included on 1/10 and 1/12 setup sheets (and the few setups from Davey G ive seen he notes it as well).

To set up the radio, the first thing ill do is do circles on the track to even the car out L/R and set the overall circle. If everything is square on the car they shouldnt be off by more than 5 or 10%. If after that it feels like it has more steering in one direction, check the cars tweak, tires, etc. I do run about 10% curve to smooth it out a tad. Some people run more, but if you have to run more than 20 or 30% you should prolly make a setup change on the chassis. Thats it pretty much! You can do a lot of other things in the radio, but if you have to do a lot more than that, your electronically bandaiding something in the chassis ;)

Also, If I find a major tweak in the car, I will do circles again to make sure it wasnt throwing anything off, and also I will again after changing something big like wheelbase.

chris130256
2011.02.14, 04:03 AM
It just says the race mains are to be 8 minutes. It also says that we should start behind the loop and to space out as necessary. It also says that we should avoid jumping the start signal. This is the one that would make me think that we should all be using a tone start.

I think we need clarification of the rules here?

chris b
2011.02.14, 05:17 AM
With the lap counting system we use it doesn't start your 8 mins until you drive under the loop for the first time, Unless we all pass under the bridge at the same time it will always carry a split time.

In the track layout designs is there a designated position for the loop? At our venue (Chris's front room :D) it is not always feasable to put the loop over the grid line on the straight.

chris b
2011.02.14, 05:38 AM
Id be happy to post what I was running :)

Ferrari F430 body, 94mm, MR03 chassis

Front:
Reflex long kingpin front end, PN white springs, pn lowdown knuckles, .5mm spacer below knuckle, .5mm above
Tower bar set to 1* camber, 2* caster
Kyosho 30 fronts, trued down to 23ish mm (eyeballed), 0 front wheels

Rear:
Reflex tri shock setup w/ kyosho oil shock:
Red spring on oil shock, 40wt oil, 75% rebound
Silver springs on tri shock, kyosho 15k grease
Reflex soft t-bar
pn v4 pod (dont have the reflex one yet :D), axle spacers #1 up
Pn 8 radial tires, +1 wheels

1 tile turning circle, brass weights in slots under chassis

This setup was pretty neutral, If you get the line right on the track you dont need full lock on the wheel :D

Mosler body, 98mm, MR03

Front:
Long king pins with gold spacer underneath, green spacer above turnbuckle, red & kit spacer at top. Atomic red springs
Kyosho 30 shore tires, 21.5mm 1 deg wheels.

Rear:
pn v2 rear pod
atomic friction plate, no damper
pn lightweight diff 53t spur 12t pinoin
kyosho med carbon t bar
kyosho 20 shore, 21.5mm 3 deg wheels

Orion 750 cells

Turning circle about the same (1 tile)
Quite a lot of cornering (twitchy) & changes direction well but well balanced.

Hope this helps

geeunit1014
2011.02.14, 12:57 PM
Im surprised your not running a 94mm setup considering how small the hfay tracks are :eek:

chris b
2011.02.14, 03:27 PM
Im surprised your not running a 94mm setup considering how small the hfay tracks are :eek:

tbh I've never tried it.

geeunit1014
2011.02.14, 04:06 PM
tbh I've never tried it.

Interesting. I like it better for stock, you get in/out simply better than you can with 98. Ive actually never ran a 98mm in stock, but I can see where everyone who does struggles to get around tight corners like a 94mm can.

Actually, on second thought, maybe you shouldnt, I need to keep you guys behind me :p

chris b
2011.02.14, 04:18 PM
The change of direction is plenty quick enough for my driving style.

Chris has used a 94mm & I have had a go with it. It does feel quicker for an individual lap but feels less consistant so imo over 8 mins I would probably crash more often.

I might give it a go though as I do like the look of the ferrari f430

geeunit1014
2011.02.14, 05:15 PM
The change of direction is plenty quick enough for my driving style.

Chris has used a 94mm & I have had a go with it. It does feel quicker for an individual lap but feels less consistant so imo over 8 mins I would probably crash more often.

I might give it a go though as I do like the look of the ferrari f430

I dont really feel my car is inconsistent, it doesnt want to oversteer or "hook", doesnt even feel nervous, just smooth steering ;) Some of the other 94mm bodies may be better for consistency, for example the Lexus SC430 is much smoother driving than the F430.

Mike Keely
2011.02.14, 07:45 PM
With the lap counting system we use it doesn't start your 8 mins until you drive under the loop for the first time, Unless we all pass under the bridge at the same time it will always carry a split time.

In the track layout designs is there a designated position for the loop? At our venue (Chris's front room :D) it is not always feasable to put the loop over the grid line on the straight.

It says you can put it where ever you need to have it. What lap counting system do you use? We are using the Giro-Z system.

chris130256
2011.02.15, 03:53 AM
We use Giro Z too, so I know we can set the timer to use the mass start system. I'd like to get the rules clarified though, before our next meeting this coming Friday.
Brian!!?:confused:

chris b
2011.02.15, 09:01 AM
I dont really feel my car is inconsistent, it doesnt want to oversteer or "hook", doesnt even feel nervous, just smooth steering ;) Some of the other 94mm bodies may be better for consistency, for example the Lexus SC430 is much smoother driving than the F430.

Just had a look at the lexus, do you find the front splitter diggs into the barrier? I use the mosler for this reason, because it is rounded on the front when you brush the barrier the car just carries on going, when I was using the pn pan car & vds (1 & 2) the car handled alot better but if you brushed the barrier the car dug in & either spun you round or stopped.

briankstan
2011.02.15, 09:02 AM
starts should be from a standing start behind the timer, timer should start on the horn.

I don't believe all the systems running have the capability to do a staggered starts. We originally discussed this about 5 years ago, so I know some of you were in on the discussions. Since this is essentially a race, qualifying would have already have been done to set starting positions.

Ed and I will be going through the rules and adding some clarifications to questions that have been brought up.

geeunit1014
2011.02.15, 11:13 AM
Just had a look at the lexus, do you find the front splitter diggs into the barrier? I use the mosler for this reason, because it is rounded on the front when you brush the barrier the car just carries on going, when I was using the pn pan car & vds (1 & 2) the car handled alot better but if you brushed the barrier the car dug in & either spun you round or stopped.

I think most people trim the splitter off to lower the body a tad, and for that reason ;)

chris130256
2011.02.21, 02:35 AM
We used the mass start system on Friday night and it didn't seem to make any difference to our racing. We were well spaced from the off with about 2 metres between drivers, so no 1st corner incidents. None of us like this track. Roll on March!:cool:

geeunit1014
2011.02.21, 11:20 AM
We used the mass start system on Friday night and it didn't seem to make any difference to our racing. We were well spaced from the off with about 2 metres between drivers, so no 1st corner incidents. None of us like this track. Roll on March!:cool:

Interesting. Did you guys not like the last one as well? They were almost the exact same. But I agree the one for March looks much more fun :cool:

chris b
2011.02.21, 04:16 PM
YOu would think that a symetrical track would be ok but I found Febs track (in both directions) just horrible (sorry to the designer;)). For me it just wouldn't flow.

I have already come to terms that this months will probably be my dropped scores :D

Looking forward to next months as we ran that track is S10 so I can now judge myself using the 03 v's my 02 times.

briankstan
2011.02.21, 04:43 PM
I found Febs track (in both directions) just horrible (sorry to the designer;)). For me it just wouldn't flow.

if you have some designs for tracks using 2 wide "L" kits. send them over to me. We could always use some fresh designs. :)