PDA

View Full Version : Best glue for gluing body parts?

mdowney
2011.02.03, 01:49 AM
I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for gluing on body clips and various broken parts. CA glue? Super glue? Something else? What holds the strongest?

andrew-01
2011.02.03, 02:05 AM
I like to use Tenax 7R. You apply with a brush or Qtip. Sets very strong and can also meld the plastics together.

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.03, 11:53 AM
I like to use Tenax 7R. You apply with a brush or Qtip. Sets very strong and can also meld the plastics together.

Do you find it melts the paint when used to repair bodies?

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.03, 11:56 AM
Personally, I use Plasti-Zap. I tried flex zap but it fogged up the body.
With a thin bead of Plasti-zap, I am able to repair cracked off body pieces (wings, fendors, and even and NSX that sheered off the entire rear end)

When my bodies break, they tend to be clean brakes. With plastizap, I've mended them with little damage to the paintwork. I put it on light and then about 15 minutes later I'll run a bead on the back for re-enforcement.

http://www3.************.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCX64&P=FR

monkey19
2011.02.03, 12:42 PM
I use Loctite Easy Squeeze Super Glue Gel

chad508
2011.02.03, 01:23 PM
i mostlt melt the windshield in with the soldering iron. and i have gotten to were i use heavy duty hot glue for the side clips. i use a little to set body position, if its off its easy to remove and redo. then i really put the hot glue to it for good. i have never had one come off, but with some prying you can remove without damaging clip or body.

ChiMiniRc
2011.02.03, 01:25 PM
i mostlt melt the windshield in with the soldering iron. and i have gotten to were i use heavy duty hot glue for the side clips. i use a little to set body position, if its off its easy to remove and redo. then i really put the hot glue to it for good. i have never had one come off, but with some prying you can remove without damaging clip or body.

With hot glue I get worried about weight. Am I worried about nothing?

Tjay
2011.02.03, 02:01 PM
Mike: You can do this also, body reinforcement (http://fastpaceracing.com/content/07-350z-body-reinforcement) for broken platic parts or reinforcement. This tape is lightweight too! Just make sure to let it dry on its own. I use CA glue.

Skv012a
2011.02.03, 02:23 PM
Medical tape is interesting, I always used strip/pieces of styrene to reinforce/repair. Then either superglue or kyosho glue.

lfisminiz
2011.02.03, 05:03 PM
Ive been using ZAP for plastics (orange label). Super strong, very little fogging (lenses etc...) To eliminate the fogging effect, as soon as your done gluing the piece........put in front of a small fan. It takes away the vapors that fog.;)

glider
2011.07.19, 05:37 PM
Anyone know what type of plastic the Mini-Z bodies are made from? I notice Zap makes a couple of different plastic based CA glues.

POLY ZAP also works with delron, polycarbonate, ABS, styrene, nylon, and most acrylics.

PLASTI ZAP CA++ Is a specialty CA adhesive developed for use on plastic and vinyl items

EMU
2011.07.19, 10:45 PM
Plasti Zap is one of my favorite glues for Mini-Z bodies... Durable, and flexible when dry, I have yet to break off a body clip glued on with it...

bermbuster
2011.07.19, 11:07 PM
Mini Z bodies are made from polystyrene. The best CA for it is Plasti-Zap
Orange Label PT-19 . It is a medium CA and it doesnt haze windshields.....
My good buddy from PA taught me a trick.....Let a small fan blow on a body when it cures and any hazing is eliminated.....:cool:

glider
2011.07.20, 12:33 AM
Thanks Bermbuster, I will have to give Plasti-Zap a try.

But given that Mini-Z bodies are polystyrene have you tried Poly-Zap which is labeled as being good for "styrene"? And if so how do they compare?

bermbuster
2011.07.24, 09:21 AM
Thanks Bermbuster, I will have to give Plasti-Zap a try.

But given that Mini-Z bodies are polystyrene have you tried Poly-Zap which is labeled as being good for "styrene"? And if so how do they compare?

Poly zap (blue label) works well too. It will haze windshields and light buckets.
I use poly on parts that take frequent hits. (Poly has flex agents)

another important CA tool is accelerator(kicker). I always keep PT-28
Zap Foam Safe Kicker on hand. Sometimes when Im racing I need a strong fix fast to keep me in the game.

EMU
2011.07.24, 12:11 PM
I used some Poly Zap last night to glue headlight lenses back in after removing the buckets. It works excellent, and did not haze the lenses much when used with the kicker. I normally do not use kicker, since I feel it weakens the bond... I feel confidant that the Poly Zap with kicker will hold better than my normal glue without kicker... I was also able to hit the track less than 10 seconds after finishing glueing the lenses in. I really cant say which is better between the two now (Poly and Plasti) I guess as Berm said, application should define where its used. Body clips, Poly may be better, lenses, Plasti should be better since it dries clearer....