PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari 599XX Setup Tips

mugler
2011.02.05, 03:37 AM
Oh man we just got the 599XX last night and man it is SIIIICKKK!!! This body looks like it'll perform great on 98mm 2wd/awd mod.

Please do tell more, so I'm assuming is a performer on track then? this body deserves a review on your blog IMO:cool: I just saw it tonight up close at RCKenon in its case since no one was running one yet and it had all Mosler fans shaking in their boots ( not really but that's a story I like to tell ) :D it's a particularly good looking one so I'm hoping is a performer as well.

EMU
2011.02.05, 12:55 PM
599XX looks sick, hopefully its just as fast on a mini z as it was around the nurburgring :D

I tested the 599XX on my 96mm Mosler setup, and I have a slightly mixed review... The body in general has a lot of push (compared to the Mosler) due to the location of the cab. Since the Mosler setup is slightly conservative in approach with the aggressive handling that the Mosler has, it may have accented more the pushy nature of the 599XX. Everyone in the A main did an 8.7-8.8s lap, so it has pace, but I need to make some setup adjustments and add a rear wing so I can make the front more aggressive.

Bodom
2011.02.05, 01:45 PM
EMU, what are the stock wheel offsets of the 599XX?

lfisminiz
2011.02.05, 02:58 PM
Ill let Eugene answer....but when i was getting my white bodies ready for paint, the chassis i used had +2 all around with no problem.;)

mugler
2011.02.05, 04:25 PM
I tested the 599XX on my 96mm Mosler setup, and I have a slightly mixed review... The body in general has a lot of push (compared to the Mosler) due to the location of the cab. Since the Mosler setup is slightly conservative in approach with the aggressive handling that the Mosler has, it may have accented more the pushy nature of the 599XX. Everyone in the A main did an 8.7-8.8s lap, so it has pace, but I need to make some setup adjustments and add a rear wing so I can make the front more aggressive.

Sounds like performance is in the competitive ball park as a start, I have a feeling after your adjustments to your cars set-up we may hear it can compete with the best of em, specially with a lexan wing addition...was your test body chopped for performance already with windshield mod, diffuser cut-out, light buckets out etc or just out of the box?

EMU
2011.02.06, 03:01 AM
Sounds like performance is in the competitive ball park as a start, I have a feeling after your adjustments to your cars set-up we may hear it can compete with the best of em, specially with a lexan wing addition...was your test body chopped for performance already with windshield mod, diffuser cut-out, light buckets out etc or just out of the box?

I cut out some of the rear diffuser (more like holes in it), but I didnt hack the whole thing off... I think its more stylish, and a little more functional this way.

The window already has a cutout up top, so I didnt feel that I needed to cut it more. Light buckets are molded in, so the front end looks pretty strong. I didnt install the headlights (additional piece) or lenses yet. I may install the lenses and shave the buckets down a bit. I shaved down the outsides edges of the front lip off so it glances off the boards a little better.

I believe that the stock wheels are +3mm all around, so this may be a great body for a WTF MR02... which I am going to try as well when I get a chance. I used 0mm front wheels with 2mm rears... Plenty of room for tri-damper (at least at 96mm, havent tried 98mm, but I dont think it will be a problem).

mdowney
2011.02.06, 03:21 AM
What's the "windshield mod" and what do you do to the light buckets? I haven't read much about body mods yet. Please share...

EMU
2011.02.06, 03:27 AM
Window mod is to cut out the part that sits under the roof to lighten it. This is easiest on the white bodies, since the glass is seperate in the package. With ASC bodies, they are pretty easy to remove and cut. Some bodies have glass that is molded with a cut out, others arent... It can be night and day for some of the slightly higher CG bodies.

For the light buckets, I try to shave away material to lighten it, without removing the entire bucket. This also increases clearance for the wheels on certain bodies where the buckets may interfere with suspension travel and rub a tire when the wheel is turned and suspension loaded. Especially if you lower the body.

I didnt mention earlier, that my 599XX weighs in at 33g in its current state, so it may be a big body, but it isnt very heavy because all the sides are relatively smooth, so there isnt many areas that have thick material... Primarily that would be in the rear diffuser, but I shaved a bunch of it out....

mini-z
2011.02.06, 02:56 PM
What's the "windshield mod" and what do you do to the light buckets? I haven't read much about body mods yet. Please share...

Think like a sun roof - but just in the "glass" of the car, not all the way through the body shell etc. :)

Tjay
2011.02.06, 04:00 PM
Sorry, I didn't ead the entire post just the first post where I was quoted. Lol

Well, for awd. I always look for low, wide and round bumper. This looks like a perfect candidate for that. Lower body= less roll= less chance of traction roll. Wider body keeps the awd stable and round bumer so it won't get caught.

2wd will probably give a "push" feel to it because there no over hang weight in the front and the body is low (no roll). Sorry... I drove a mod mosler but that body is just not my type just because of the square bumper. One of the reason why I don't run pan. Id rather enjoy racing with zero crash that following someone who crashers every two laps and sending my car off the track. This is also why I ran 94mm atm pan body, round(er) front bumper on last years Tekin Nats.

Jay7
2011.02.11, 03:56 AM
Where can I find the White 599xx body online to buy? bought the red one and would like to paint my own. I also cut the rear diffuser same way I cut out my enzo. Kept the line of the diffuser but now it doesnt touch the floor when mounted on my chassis. I'm using 1offset up front and 2 offset in the rear. I will try 2s all around.

Roger
2011.04.23, 01:27 AM
I just picked up this body from Fast Pace Racing tonight. Gonna put my paint scheme on it and test it all of next week. Thx for the 411.

blt456
2011.04.23, 01:44 AM
Ok I'm going to say what I've observed about this body.

Recently a good number of locals started putting this body on their mod cars.

2 fronts and rears fit but you need to put a spacer on the chassis clip slot to push the body out so you can fit +3 in the rear.

This body is very heavy and looks to not do so well without the Reflex Racing lexan wing. I have yet to see one hooked up without the wing. I got a white body myself and painted it but was unhappy about the weight and size.

Another note is that I see this body create understeer. Maybe is has to do with a lot of the weight in the back.

A nice part is the front end is extremely strong and doesn't need to be shaved or reinforced.

I got to actually drive a mod car with this body. The body feels good but does not want to lean at all. (maybe it was just the setup that was bad..) It feels like you have to throw gobs of power at the car to get it through corners. I honestly haven't seen that great of success with it but I do know some people have gotten it to work for them. These guys run the TDS with pn 33/32 turn motors.

EMU
2011.04.23, 02:25 AM
I dont think that the body is abnormally heavy... but then again, I did do some trimming, and did not install the non essential parts... The car does have some push, which I think has to do a lot with the cab rear design. When I was testing, I did not use a rear wing at all. I want to give it another try, possibly with a softer setup to get a little more body roll.

lfisminiz
2011.04.23, 09:15 AM
The back of my 599xx are shaved off pretty much in the rear.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/lfisminiz/P3020573.jpg

Roger
2011.04.23, 01:13 PM
lfisminiz: How's it handle without the rear defuser ? I was wondering since afew are complaining about understeer.

lfisminiz
2011.04.23, 08:50 PM
lfisminiz: How's it handle without the rear defuser ? I was wondering since afew are complaining about understeer.

I think your much better off loosing the bulk in the rear and it still looks good. I only got to race it once at the DC/MD shootout. Ran it with NO previous running. Didnt even have time to run it on my small home track. I was happy with it for not being tested more.

If Landon(hrdrvr) sees this, he might have more imput. I think he just ran his at the Caroline Cup recently.

hrdrvr
2011.04.24, 09:23 AM
I've been meaning to post, but just haven't had a minute to sit down and reply.

I did run it at the recent Cup race in NC. I was really happy with it. The week before the race I mounted and tested the body very little. I started with it at 96mm, with it as low as I felt comfortable with suspension travel. I had to shave off the inside of the gas cap for clearance. I also trimmed off the light buckets, and mounted the lenses. I trimmed the upper part of the window, and most of the rear diffuser. I was trying to do something creative with holes and had a dremel slip, and took off more than I wanted to keep it looking right. I ran it with a mini-blind wing, and over all weight was just above 35g. I think that's a good weight for any body. My Mosler weighs quite a bit more, and my lightened F430 and McLaren are just over 30g, which to me is very light.

I started with it running at 96mm with the PN reconfigurable mount set at 96, and an RR soft MM T-plate. I've been running the RR tri-shock with silver springs teamed with the Kyosho oil shock, and a Kyosho yellow spring. I stuck with that, but before the first qualifier, I switched to an RR 96MM soft T-Plate, which sent it out to 98mm. I ran the RR lo-pro front end with the silver springs the whole time. I ended up running my standard +1/+2 on mantis wheels, with K40R/K20R, pretty much the same thing I run everywhere.

The car was very well balanced. It felt super stable and was able to be pushed as far as my driving limits would allow. It was super comfortable to drive in the high and mid speed areas, while being one of the fastest cars all day in the tightest section of the track. The main place I was losing ground was coming out of two different hair pin complexes, one that lead to the straight, and one that opened up into a few sweepers. I think that more had to do with the way my motor wound up. It was slow out of the corner (which made it very easy to drive), but ballistic once it got going. Since it was so fast, by the end of the faster sections, I would mostly have the chance to gain back any ground I lost coming out of the corners. I made my only true over take in the main at the end of the straight, and through the tight section.

You can see a full race report, the results, and a pic of the track in the event thread. http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36103&page=9

Here are some pics of the car.
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/2011-04-13_08-12-15_939-1.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/2011-04-06_10-06-47_446.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/2011-04-13_08-16-47_718-1.jpg

I ran it some Friday night at our club track with the same set up, and it is good. I think it'll be my body of choice for a while.

supafastsupra2
2011.04.24, 11:44 AM
The back of my 599xx are shaved off pretty much in the rear.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/lfisminiz/P3020573.jpg

What's up with those stickers? I've been to Xtreme Indoor Karting in Ft. Lauderdale. Did you just randomly find the logo and make decals? :p

lfisminiz
2011.04.24, 04:44 PM
SUPA - those decals are from pattosplace.com. Thats where i get most of my "real race car " decals. They are from a real car. The other decals are more R.C oriented that Davey G (DG Designs) can make for you.

LANDON - Thanks for adding your testing results.:)

yasuji
2011.04.24, 08:47 PM
ok so i dont know if it matters but i have been working on my 599 for a few weeke in prep for th KO GP!
as i have been doing quite well with the mosler i do not wish to change my chassis set up much!
as the 599 comes out of the box it is pretty good but after extensive mods it is as good as my mosler was
the biggest difference for me is that the mosler pivots in the middle of the car and the 599 seems to pivot around the rear axle! :)

lfisminiz
2011.04.24, 09:37 PM
ok so i dont know if it matters but i have been working on my 599 for a few weeke in prep for th KO GP!
as i have been doing quite well with the mosler i do not wish to change my chassis set up much!
as the 599 comes out of the box it is pretty good but after extensive mods it is as good as my mosler was
the biggest difference for me is that the mosler pivots in the middle of the car and the 599 seems to pivot around the rear axle! :)

Grant......are you running it in 98? What mods have you done to it?

THANKS........LARRY:)

yasuji
2011.04.24, 10:24 PM
Grant......are you running it in 98? What mods have you done to it?

THANKS........LARRY:)

c'mon larry... u should know me by now.... of course it is 98...lol
imo my car is more balanced than it has ever been!
mods r very extensive.... i will take some pics of it on wed.. how ever i run in its std height... not low like landons....and i run +3 all around!:Do yeah... and i run a reflex wing....lol

Roger
2011.04.24, 10:26 PM
Oh oh. Looking at some of these pics, I think I cut a little too much in the rear :eek:. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

yasuji
2011.04.24, 10:34 PM
i cut the back of my car out but not as high as landons... if i cut as high as landons it would not be eligible for the PNWC rules

Roger
2011.04.25, 03:00 AM
599xx:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z287/Rserafin161/DSCN0124.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z287/Rserafin161/DSCN0121.jpg

lfisminiz
2011.04.25, 04:30 AM
c'mon larry... u should know me by now.... of course it is 98...lol
imo my car is more balanced than it has ever been!
mods r very extensive.... i will take some pics of it on wed.. how ever i run in its std height... not low like landons....and i run +3 all around!:Do yeah... and i run a reflex wing....lol

Yes, 98 for you!:D Looking forward to pics.

lfisminiz
2011.04.25, 04:32 AM
Oh oh. Looking at some of these pics, I think I cut a little too much in the rear :eek:. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Roger, yours looks good. You didnt cut to much of rear. I have a little more off mine.....the pipe area is gone.

herman
2011.04.25, 04:58 AM
another cool paint job... :D

hrdrvr
2011.04.25, 09:46 AM
i cut the back of my car out but not as high as landons... if i cut as high as landons it would not be eligible for the PNWC rules

I am PNWC legal. Maybe its because I lowered mine more than you, but I have room to spare to meet the 20mm requirement.

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/2011-04-25_10-00-58_967.jpg

http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv77/MBMZR/Members%20rides/Landon/2011-04-25_10-01-26_96.jpg

yasuji
2011.04.25, 11:31 AM
yeah rog! u r all good! u to landon... i assumed that u were legal due to u lowerimg the car.... i was just refering to the lines on the car....;)

yasuji
2011.04.28, 12:35 AM
For the record i feel that the mosler is the best body on the planet!:p
but alas i must run a "K" body for the kogp so heres a teaser... i will let the full cat out of the bag after the KO GP;)

lfisminiz
2011.04.28, 04:28 AM
Thanks Grant! Good Luck and ill be waiting to see how it goes and the rest of the details.............;):)

hrdrvr
2011.04.28, 07:42 AM
Hmm, I'm wondering if you've got a Brian Ma creation hiding under the front of that body :D Looks like you've put some miles on it Grant :D

color01
2011.04.28, 07:49 PM
That's the fun part isn't it? You can never tell... :cool: Car looks great Grant!

lfisminiz
2011.05.08, 08:12 PM
Hey Grant,

How did the 599xx run?
Also what are the rest of the body mods you were talking about and did they seem to work?:)

Digitalis West
2011.05.09, 03:52 AM
The 599xx made up 6 of 8 cars in the Mod A Main. It took the top 5 places (Philip dropped out halfway through). Grant was in the lead until he caught someone who had snagged a rail with a minute to go. It was very close and a heck of a race! I only made the Mod B Main.. but even there half the cars were 599xx bodies. Yih-Woei took the B Main with a NSX so the 599 is not a guarantee.

Here is mine...
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg235/HydrazineIsFire/860bf302.jpg
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg235/HydrazineIsFire/42c1a74d.jpg

lfisminiz
2011.05.09, 04:28 AM
Thanks for info.

blt456
2011.07.22, 07:52 PM
Here is my 599xx. This body by far has the most time put into it in terms of modifying and it works good! I shaved the back spoiler lip off and mounted a reflex wing on the slant going downwards. Also, I cut the rear wheel wells forward to run 94mm with +2 rears. I have only tried it for one day at the track (good enough for a win) and I really like how stable it is. I used to run the lexus sc430 in modified, but I think I found my new body :)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/blt45/IMG_0210.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r198/blt45/IMG_0209.jpg

pomme de terre
2011.07.23, 05:52 PM
Could any of you guys post your detailed MR03 set-ups for the 599xx on RCP? Lowering shims/spacers, springs, t-plates, shocks/dampers, tires etc.

I've been having a lot of trouble with high speed cornering. The car's great at low speed (in field), but with anything high speed (eg. corner after straight) the front end digs in and the back swings around 180 deg, or the rear end bounces... also causing a spin out.

color01
2011.07.23, 06:53 PM
The 599 doesn't seem to make a whole lot of rear downforce, I think that's the only change you need to make vs. a standard 98mm Mini-Z setup. My rear end springs are a PN G10 #3, 4, or 5 T-plate, a PN Red spring on the top shock and PN Orange springs (or something close to that) on the side shocks. I haven't changed the spring rates in a long time, not even moving between the GT-R, Mosler or 599XX. I've also been using the same tires on all three of those bodies, all the 599 needs is 1) cutting out the rear diffuser, 2) cutting off the rear lip spoiler, and 3) mounting an aftermarket scoop wing to the back. As soon as I did that I solved all of my 599's high speed handling issues.

lfisminiz
2011.07.23, 08:11 PM
The 599 doesn't seem to make a whole lot of rear downforce, I think that's the only change you need to make vs. a standard 98mm Mini-Z setup. My rear end springs are a PN G10 #3, 4, or 5 T-plate, a PN Red spring on the top shock and PN Orange springs (or something close to that) on the side shocks. I haven't changed the spring rates in a long time, not even moving between the GT-R, Mosler or 599XX. I've also been using the same tires on all three of those bodies, all the 599 needs is 1) cutting out the rear diffuser, 2) cutting off the rear lip spoiler, and 3) mounting an aftermarket scoop wing to the back. As soon as I did that I solved all of my 599's high speed handling issues.

Brian,
Is there any real reason to cut the rear lip off of trunk? The wing fits without removing the lip. I assume theres more to it.;)

color01
2011.07.23, 10:11 PM
I believe so. The Reflex wing has a larger channel right down the middle designed to increase the airflow underneath the wing, but the 599's lip will end up right there blocking the path, creating a pocket of high pressure directly under the center of the wing if you do not remove the lip. I can confirm that the rear downforce increased noticeably after cutting out the rear lip.

If you want to keep the lip, you could mount the Reflex wing 6-10mm farther forward than how I have it:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6827/20110629212353.jpg

But you'll have to make sure the wing angle and height are still OK, it may be tilted forward or backward, or too high to clear the maximum height. Also, high speed stability suffers with the wing mounted forward, since you don't have the drag force from the wing stabilizing the rear end.

lfisminiz
2011.07.23, 11:50 PM
I believe so. The Reflex wing has a larger channel right down the middle designed to increase the airflow underneath the wing, but the 599's lip will end up right there blocking the path, creating a pocket of high pressure directly under the center of the wing if you do not remove the lip. I can confirm that the rear downforce increased noticeably after cutting out the rear lip.

If you want to keep the lip, you could mount the Reflex wing 6-10mm farther forward than how I have it:

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6827/20110629212353.jpg

But you'll have to make sure the wing angle and height are still OK, it may be tilted forward or backward, or too high to clear the maximum height. Also, high speed stability suffers with the wing mounted forward, since you don't have the drag force from the wing stabilizing the rear end.

Brian,
Thanks! That is what i thought and you confirmed it.:)

bermbuster
2011.07.23, 11:55 PM
Because of you guys I bought a 599....in yellow...:D

pomme de terre
2011.07.24, 11:09 AM

Any way around it without adding a rear wing? I'm kind of a body purist and like to run the autoscales with minimal modification.

What kind of ride height are you running Brian? And you aren't running the stock +3 offsets right?

yasuji
2011.07.24, 11:23 AM
Any way around it without adding a rear wing? I'm kind of a body purist and like to run the autoscales with minimal modification.

What kind of ride height are you running Brian? And you aren't running the stock +3 offsets right?

to me in its stock trim it didnt have enough downforce on either end.. it was loose @ speed and would not hold its line
however my car is set up for mosler and it is good....so i modified the 599 body work on my like my mosler on my mosler setup!

color01
2011.07.24, 01:14 PM

Not for Mod, no... the 599 doesn't make a whole lot of downforce in its stock config so you'd have to keep the speeds down, i.e. 70t or lower, if you don't want to be downforce-disadvantaged. Use a Super GT body if you want easy downforce without modifying the body, their wings and splitters are functional. :)

I slam all of my bodies now till they scrape the track a little bit when driven. Not really for aero reasons (some feel it works, I don't really notice....) but just for aesthetics. :) All four tires are tucking under the fenders. Running +1.5N/+2.5W for carpet, and I will widen the front offset to +2N or +2.5N whenever the car starts to traction roll (Kenon!). +3 all around would only fit with rounded-edge tires, like those Hellaflush street cars. :D

mini-z
2011.07.24, 02:54 PM
to me in its stock trim it didnt have enough downforce on either end.. it was loose @ speed and would not hold its line
however my car is set up for mosler and it is good....so i modified the 599 body work on my like my mosler on my mosler setup!

Just swapped my mod LM 03 to MM stock last night w/ red 599 as lid; very little time spent on setup so far but was shocked by the way it washed out into corners (and w/ high speed stability now that you mention it?), so very interesting to read others' experience with the same body... :)

Tjay
2011.08.29, 01:59 AM
Is there special setup tips for the white (undecorated) body?

side clips: Do I just glue it to where it suppose to be postioned or I need to glue it a little lower just like the SC430?

Headlight buckets: Trim it?

Rear fender for 96mm setup: Do I need to shave it or can I get away without shaving the side fenders?

Thanks!

color01
2011.08.29, 05:06 AM
I raise the side clips to lower the body -- normal ground clearance on RCP about 1.5-2mm. You don't have to do this, I just wanted to make sure the 599 doesn't traction roll on high-grip surfaces as it's mainly for use on high grip (my preference. HSV and 599 are wonderful for high-grip, but I am thinking to stick with the taller, narrower F430 for low-grip tracks).

Trim the headlight buckets for clearance, try not to punch through because it'll weaken the (very strong!) front end of the 599.

If you want the full +3W offset with 96mm obviously you have to cut, otherwise you don't really have to. Watch out for tire rubbing no matter what your wheelbase/offset, however, because the wheelwells slope pretty sharply in towards the chassis. Not a whole lot of room for articulation unlike the Mosler.

Glad to see you getting back in the game TJ! I look forward to having my arse kicked once again. :p

hrdrvr
2011.08.29, 09:09 AM
I trimmed the side clips and raised them quite a bit. The rear window has plenty of clearance for the RR tri-shock set up, so I slammed the body pretty low. Since the pics on the second page I am running a lower motor mount setting, and have the body sitting even closer to the ground. I had to trim quite a bit off of the bottom of the body all around to get back to a decent amount of track clearance (2-2.5mm). I also opened up the back quite a bit. It looks trimmed pretty high, but with how low it is sitting, I am well within the PN rules for rear bumper height.

I cut the headlight buckets all the way out for weight and clearance. With the lenses glued all around the front end is still one of the strongest I've tried. There is WAY more clearance than with the SC430, and room for much wider offsets than that body offers.

Like Brian said, with +3 rears you'll need to trim the fenders forward. I was fine at standard ride height with +2 rears and 96mm, but when I lowered the body, I had clearance issues with the inside of the gas cap mount. I just trimmed the bottom of it off, and glued the gas cap to the top portion of the mount. Its basically undetectable from the outside of the body.

I did trim the parts of the window that I felt were unnecessary (basically all of it that isn't showing from the outside), and I thinned the insides of the fenders for tire clearance.

I've run it with and without a wing, and like it both ways depending on motor choice and layout.

Tjay
2011.08.29, 02:06 PM
Glad to see you getting back in the game TJ! I look forward to having my arse kicked once again. :p
It's nice to be back! No, that's your turn to kick my arse... :D

Thanks Brian & Landon!

lfisminiz
2011.08.29, 08:16 PM
Tj,
As always...welcome back. I think they pretty much covered it. You could always put a little hot glue on body mounts to get your ride height with body then glue them in. The body even sits good from factory.
Larry

Tjay
2011.08.30, 12:04 AM
Great idea Larry! Thank you, I'll do that. Its also good to know that the body sits good from factory. I just have to see which config I'll be using for mod: 96 or 98.

lfisminiz
2011.08.30, 12:02 PM
I have one trimmed to run 96 or 98. Check out my gallery....there's a custom one that is done in 94.;)

lfisminiz
2011.08.30, 02:38 PM
I have one trimmed to run 96 or 98. Check out my gallery....there's a custom one that is done in 94.;)

Oops..........sorry TJ, im thinking of the new Honda thats done in 94....not the 599XX.:p:o