PDA

View Full Version : Help updating an original 27am awd to asf

cdog4w
2011.02.06, 09:00 PM
Hi everyone, I know this question has been answered in part previously, but I just want to be sure I have the most current info.

I have the original 27am version awd and I want to go asf. It seems I need the awd asf board and the board cover set. I also read that i might need to cut the chasis to fit fets on the bottom of the board? Would there be any reason (or additional work) to use a mr03 asf board instead of the awd asf board?

Thanks in advance!

Charles.

mini-z
2011.02.07, 02:43 PM
C, I've not seen any attempts to use the 03 on the MA010, BUT if you want to do a regular 010 ASF conversion, we have a really great opportunity for you - we have some of the Kyosho Mini-Z MA-010 2.4GHz ASF Conversion Sets that we pulled the KT-18s from for a special project during another KT-18 drought - as a result we have the full conversion set w/out KT-18 available which has everything you need w/out the added cost of the KT-18 - the should be in the Mini-ZRacer.com Direct Marketplace (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176) I think, or if not, open a Support Ticket (http://shop.tinyrc.com/support_ticket.php) and we'll hook you up! :)

cdog4w
2011.02.07, 03:34 PM
Ah, found it thanks! Looks like it's just the board set and then the new cover set. Someone asked a price question you might want to answer btw: http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34340

Action B
2011.02.07, 03:44 PM
C, I've not seen any attempts to use the 03 on the MA010,

I have an 03 board in my MA-010.

Benefits over regular 2.4 include the following:

No reverse lockout.

Thats about it but I hate reverse lockout.

I didn't cut anything, perhaps you are thinking of the MR-03 chassis needs trimming to fit 2x3 FETs on the board. MR-03 and 2.4 regular board are no different really when installing, except, for the MR-03 board you'll have to use your old servo because its servo is not directly compatible.

dantep
2011.02.07, 05:48 PM
I also read that i might need to cut the chasis to fit fets on the bottom of the board?

By the looks of it, you may need to trim the chasis to fit a 2x3 stack on the bottom. I have the awd asf upgrade kit(PCBA, top cover and board holder) on my awd with 2x2bottom+2x2top stack. No cutting of the chassis was needed for the stack on the underside of the board. On top however, i needed to trim down the cover abit, there's a small 'wall' that had to go to fit the MOSFETs.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=96&pictureid=1113

If you can settle with a 2x2bottom+2x1top stack then you are all set with the kit.

cdog4w
2011.02.07, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I'm not a fan of the lockout, but it seems it'll be simpler to do the awd board to start.

You talk about included fet stacks for the board, what does the stock asf awd board come with fet stack wise?

Action B
2011.02.07, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I'm not a fan of the lockout, but it seems it'll be simpler to do the awd board to start.

You talk about included fet stacks for the board, what does the stock asf awd board come with fet stack wise?

Effectively a 2x2 of 3010 FETs.

1 layer on top
1 layer on bottom

mdowney
2011.02.08, 04:35 AM
Just came across this article in case you hadn't seen it:
http://forum.minirc.com/showthread.php?t=4

Action B
2011.02.08, 09:17 AM
You know mdowney I thought it was an am chassis but since I didn't trim it must have been a 2.4 chassis. It was awhile back that I pulled the board from it so I must have forgot. Thanks for clarifying and sorry I posted incorrect info.

cdog4w
2011.02.08, 12:34 PM
Also makes it look pretty easy to swap in a mr03 board, maybe I'll go for that instead.

Is the mr03 board newer/different from the awd asf board aside from the reverse lockout? Different fets? Different ICS software?

Digitalis West
2011.02.08, 01:57 PM
The mr-03 board has different ICS software and support for a gyro. If you use the mr03 board you will need to go in with ICS and change the steering speed because the 010 has the old large slow servo motor.

cdog4w
2011.02.08, 02:27 PM
The mr-03 board has different ICS software and support for a gyro. If you use the mr03 board you will need to go in with ICS and change the steering speed because the 010 has the old large slow servo motor.

Can I use the mr03 servo motor that comes with the mr03 asf board in my AWD?

mini-z
2011.02.08, 02:38 PM
Not really/not easily take a look at the second pic in the Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03 RC Unit RA-22 2.4GHz ASF/ICS PCB listing - the MR-03 uses a new coreless servo motor with a very different form factor. :)

mdowney
2011.02.08, 02:46 PM
Charles - I have the ICS adapter kit if you want to go that route. Just let me know and I'll bring it in for you.

cdog4w
2011.02.08, 04:18 PM
Not really/not easily take a look at the second pic in the Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03 RC Unit RA-22 2.4GHz ASF/ICS PCB listing - the MR-03 uses a new coreless servo motor with a very different form factor. :)
Doh! Heh, picture isn't right on that link btw :)

Charles - I have the ICS adapter kit if you want to go that route. Just let me know and I'll bring it in for you.

Awesome. I hope to build the DIY version when I get a chance too :)

Seems like it'd even be possible to use a bluetooth module to do it on our phone assuming the serial interface isn't too difficult to reverse engineer (and less trouble with going to/from TTL levels).