PDA

View Full Version : PN32/33/35 and Atomic mod motors

Tjay
2011.02.07, 12:45 PM
Sorry, I forgot the names of the atomic mod motors. The only thing I remember is the Chilli. :D

My question is: what is the fastest motor (PN/ATM) that you have and what is their RPM when tested at 4.8v?

Thanks!

EMU
2011.02.07, 01:17 PM
Tjay, I was thinking the same thing... especially with the new ATM 17mm 40t and 35t motors coming to market. When CT was at AtomicMods, he compiled data for motors http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27939&highlight=motor+comparison but that data would only compare to the new motors if they were tested in the same manner... I would love to see the newer PN line charted as well as the new ATM line...

Mod motors made by ATM:
Z2 (I believe is 33t)
T2 (I believe is 35t)
Chili (EGR lists 35t with M1 endbell)
Stock R (EGR lists 44t with M1 endbell)
AD Stock (I believe is same armature as Stock-R with standard endbell, but cannot find any data supporting it besides the torque curve that is very similar but just a little lower on the AtomicMods chart)

From what I remember, the ATM armatures were a little smaller than PN at the time that the chart was made, dont know if that is the case with the newer PN motors (have yet to open one up) but that means that the same amount of winds used less wire, and gave more speed/RPM. This was when PN was using the older can, so it may be more similar now.

Traveler
2011.02.07, 02:29 PM
As far as PN & ATM brands, the Chili has the highest RPMs. ATM rates the Chili at 43k, but the one I have does 48,640 on the dyno at 4.8v. Only thing faster are some frankenstien motors I put together...;)

Tjay
2011.02.07, 02:43 PM
Thanks Eugene & Marwan!

The fastest motor I have is 45k PN33 (it's the only motor I have that I bought last week. lol)

48k Chilli motor?! Ok, I want one. :)

EMU
2011.02.07, 05:10 PM
Marwan, what load weight did you have on the motor when you tested it? I believe that ATM uses a 1.8g weight when testing...

I have been liking motors with a little more low end torque compared to high RPM... I feel that I get out of the corner with a little more grunt, and I dont care so much for more power on the straight, when I am already near top speed and going to decelerate. I have been using the 39t for a little while in one car, and the ATM 40t in a different. The PN definitely has more low end grunt, but the ATM motor feels more linear.

I just dug out a few Chili's from my old stash in my parents basement last night... so I plan to use them as well to compare. I may even have a Stock-R (label is off, but it doesnt feel like the other Chili's).

I am looking for more power/speed at one of the local tracks... I may even have a handwound or two built by CTP ;)

Traveler
2011.02.07, 06:07 PM
Marwan, what load weight did you have on the motor when you tested it? I believe that ATM uses a 1.8g weight when testing...

Eugene, That was with no load, just the bushing for the Motor Master to measure the RPMs. Agree ATM usually uses a load, but EGR's site shows stats for Chili with no load. Not sure if this is an error.

If I remember correctly, the Chili also has loads of torque, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. Buckle your seat belt!

EMU
2011.02.07, 08:03 PM
I used the Chili a few years back at the ATM race in NYC. I know its capabilities, but want to see how it compares to the current motors offered.

I dug out my MZM which has a Plasma Dash armature/ATM can in it... I hope it doesnt need a rebuild. May try it this weekend.

blt456
2011.02.07, 09:26 PM
PN 32t handwound. :D

Tjay
2011.02.08, 02:23 AM

Whats on PN32 handwound? PN spec is 42k If I remember it correctly.

Traveler
2011.02.08, 03:43 AM
I used the Chili a few years back at the ATM race in NYC. I know its capabilities, but want to see how it compares to the current motors offered.

I dug out my MZM which has a Plasma Dash armature/ATM can in it... I hope it doesnt need a rebuild. May try it this weekend.

Can't say I've ever raced the Chili. Haven't found a track large enough, nor do I have the skill to handle it :o I still have a couple of Plasma Dashes, and an UberDash. Those were fun in a wide open space :D

Never saw it, but I do remember a PN 35T handwound that I would have loved to try. Part #10HW35, but it has long been out of stock. :(

42.8k ;), but I'm with EMU, you want something with more b@ll$!

blt456
2011.02.08, 09:37 PM

I take a PN motor (just happened to be a 32t...) and rewind it. Same brushes, magnets and can.

Felix2010
2011.02.09, 01:47 AM
As far as PN & ATM brands, the Chili has the highest RPMs. ATM rates the Chili at 43k, but the one I have does 48,640 on the dyno at 4.8v. Only thing faster are some frankenstien motors I put together...;)

If I remember correctly, the Chili also has loads of torque, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. Buckle your seat belt!

The Atomic CHILI has got really great feel & track attributes that paper specs just don't do justice. As Traveler said, this thing has some of the highest RPMs (If not THE Highest) of any production Atomic/PN motor; The CHILI can handle being super-high geared, or low-geared for most *Punch*-factor (And boy does it have Punch); It's just an awesome motor.

If you take a NIB CHILI, install silver M1 brushes, clean the motor can's 2x 2x5x2.5mm bearings & re-lube with high-end thin-viscousity lube, and break-in properly... This motor will make your car take off like a jet on a long straightaway... :cool:

Tjay
2011.02.09, 11:53 AM
I haven't even put my PN33T motor on the track and I'm already planning on buying this "chilli" motor. :D ...last time I had this motor was in 2008 Atomic West Coast Challenge. I think I had AM car back then. :)

Traveler
2011.02.09, 12:01 PM
I take a PN motor (just happened to be a 32t...) and rewind it. Same brushes, magnets and can.

Very interesting!

SAGISI
2011.02.09, 12:35 PM
I have a PN 32t motor w/silver brush that is doing 47k rpm/.84amp draw on my motor master @ 4.8v. But the motor makes my car glitch :(. I bought a new mr03 board and the glitch was still there. I tried adding caps to the motor and it helped but still glitches. Anyone have any other things that can help the glitch besides changing the motor?

Tjay
2011.02.09, 01:35 PM
I have a PN 32t motor w/silver brush that is doing 47k rpm/.84amp draw on my motor master @ 4.8v. But the motor makes my car glitch :(. I bought a new mr03 board and the glitch was still there. I tried adding caps to the motor and it helped but still glitches. Anyone have any other things that can help the glitch besides changing the motor?

Buy another board. lol

104 cap.. I think you're using the 103 cap.

SAGISI
2011.02.09, 03:15 PM
Buy another board. lol

104 cap.. I think you're using the 103 cap.

TJay- If you beat me this Friday then i will just blame it on the "glitch". :rolleyes:

Felix- Thanks for the tips. Ill try it tonight

color01
2011.02.09, 03:30 PM
Ryan, have you checked the capacitor inbetween the + and - terminals on your 03 board itself? That capacitor is REALLY close to the pads so it's not impossible to lift it off the board when soldering on new motor wires. If you did, it might help then to put it back in its place. :)

SAGISI
2011.02.09, 03:33 PM
Ryan, have you checked the capacitor inbetween the + and - terminals on your 03 board itself? That capacitor is REALLY close to the pads so it's not impossible to lift it off the board when soldering on new motor wires. If you did, it might help then to put it back in its place. :)

Brian- I will check that tonight as well. I tried 2 different MR03 boards so im pretty sure the capacitor was in place. You coming out for the Tekin race?

color01
2011.02.09, 04:36 PM
I didn't sign up for it, unfortunately with school and all, I can afford to take one day out of my weekends but not two. :(

If it's not the board then the only other places I could imagine stuff going wrong are the brushes not seated fully yet, causing a lot of arcing as well as letting your motor run really fast.

Different caps would definitely damp different frequencies, but I don't remember if the 104's are actually what you want to help an ASF board. I remember 103's and 104's all over the place back when you had to damp AM frequencies, which are 27MHz, versus what we have now at 2.4GHz (almost 100x higher).

Tjay
2011.02.09, 05:43 PM
TJay- If you beat me this Friday then i will just blame it on the "glitch". :rolleyes:

That's mine... you have to find another excuse. :D