PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Z = Great training for other scales

SAGISI
2011.02.09, 02:03 PM
I have been driving mini-z's for about 4 years now. Got really into it when I got a MR03 for my Christmas gift in 2009 (thanks to my gf). Practice/race mini-z on average about 4 times a week. I am very fortunate to have 2 track that are very close to me.

I recently purchased a 12th scale pan car because local drivers said it was just like Mini-z but 100 times more dialed. Our local track (NorCal Hobbies) just installed a new carpet track that looked just like the ones in Europe and that sold me.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/dorifto-san4o8/norcaltrack.jpg

Got my car running just a week before NorCal's points series race. First race with the car with only 10 minutes of practice I was able to finish 2nd in the Amain. Everyone was right that if felt just like a big mini z but more dialed! I even had time to think about what I wanted for lunch going down the back straight away:D. I felt right at home driving the 12th scale and was able to keep up with some of the fastest racers here in NorCal. Norcal Hobbies is a little to far for me to go during the week to practice. So during the week I just practiced mini-z and on Saturday just went out for the points series race and hoped for the best.

Here's a video of one of the points series race (my car is the teal/blue/white/yellow starting 2nd on the grid):
http://youtu.be/oHsEpUuIKbg

After 6 races coming into 12th scale as a total Noob I finally got a first place finish on the last race of the points series. I was able to win the series with a 4th, two 2nd and a 1st place finish. All thanks to mini-z racing!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/dorifto-san4o8/norcalrace002.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/dorifto-san4o8/norcalrace001.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/dorifto-san4o8/norcalrace003.jpg
Thanks to Steve Ashby from "Team Powers" who helped setup my car and provided me with Team Powers motor and battery.

The best part of my 12th scale experience was that i got the attention of a lot of racers to come out and try mini-z racing to improve there driving skills. This Friday I have a few guys that I met, coming out for the first time to race mini z. Hopefully they get hooked and enjoy mini z as much as we do.

I encourage anyone who races/drives mini-z to go out and give it a try. You will definately find that the bigger scales are so easy to drive and its a great place to find new racers for your club.

**I went to check out West Coast R/C in La Mirada, CA when i went on vacation to Disneyland last month. Spoke with a few drivers and they never even heard of mini-z.

cowboysir
2011.02.09, 02:19 PM
I will be participating in some 10th scale classes this spring and summer including F1 category. The F104 is a dead ringer of a mzf1...just a lot bigger.

SAGISI
2011.02.09, 02:28 PM
Moderator,

Can you please edit the thread icon and remove it? I accidentaly pressed the sad face.

Thanks

SAGISI
2011.02.09, 02:34 PM
I will be participating in some 10th scale classes this spring and summer including F1 category. The F104 is a dead ringer of a mzf1...just a lot bigger.

I also raced the F103 at the same series and also took 1st place. You will love that class! So much fun! I believe Mantis Worx makes parts for the 10th scale F1 as well

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/dorifto-san4o8/norcalrace.jpg

geeunit1014
2011.02.09, 02:51 PM
I ran a ton of 1/10 sedan before I got into mini z, and now that I go back and forth a really feel mini z helps you be more precise in bigger scales. The RCP barriers grab your car so you learn to stay off them/avoid them, and you have to "work" to keep a mini z in a consistant line, so then going back to a bigger more precise car, it is far easier to hold a line and really "race" (not just drive) the bigger cars

color01
2011.02.09, 04:06 PM
Setup theory also carries over, so if you can really dial in a Mini-Z, a 1/12 scale isn't going to be that much different. An MR-03 with a DPS or TDS is essentially the same object to set up as a T-plate or link (respectively) 1/12 car.

I do feel, though, that the "100x more dialed" feeling will go away if we can get a more level racing surface to work with. When I went to the Kyosho 241 track, no, I had no grip (OLD Kyosho 30/20 tires) but the car feel was so consistent! There are no bumps to throw you off, no directional changes in the grain of the carpet, everything is just smooth, smooth, and precise. RWD drifting just kinda "happened", I drove lap after lap on a little bit of slip angle and it wasn't nearly as difficult as trying to avoid an RCP rail!

Carpet tracks like TQ are doing us a huge favor by running Mini-Z classes -- once larger-scale drivers have a taste of an MR-03 on good carpet I think they'll be at least inspired to set one up for themselves.

Congrats on your results, Ryan! Go show the big guys what Z's are all about. :cool:

EMU
2011.02.09, 04:11 PM
One of the local tracks switched from RCP to the same carpet used at R241. We started on rubber, and the cars had a little drift, but now run silicone and the cars a completely hooked up. No bumps, the cars drive super straight and are a blast. The main reason for the switch was so that we could run other scales as well. 1/18 SC18/RC18R is currently the primary other scale, but it may expand. I have never raced any other scale, so I am looking forward to see how my driving/setup translates.

By the look of the 1/12, that may be a class I might want to get into... Should be the most like a Mini-Z out of all the other chassis options.

Ryan, thanks for the video... :)

mdowney
2011.02.09, 05:43 PM
Great work, Ryan! I figured you'd do well with the 1/12 car. What kit did you go with? CRC, Xray, AE? I'd love to see your setup as I'm thinking of picking one up as well. I have an AE TC6 that I started racing a few months ago but have struggled to get it to hook up the way I want it to. I'm thinking I might enjoy the pan car more. A lot of the guys around here run the CRC so I'm thinking of going that route. We race carpet in a similar environment to NorCal so I'd be interested in seeing your setup.

Next you'll need to start dominating the off-road scene! Very, very different when you start adding jumps into racing. :D

I've found 1/8 electric to be the most fun/challenging - especially when you live near a great 1/8 track like NorCal. Skip short course - it's for noobs. The most competitive offroad class is 1/10 buggy and it's probably the most difficult to master. It's generally better run on indoor clay tracks though.

Tjay
2011.02.09, 05:52 PM
the car feel was so consistent! There are no bumps to throw you off, no directional changes in the grain of the carpet, everything is just smooth, smooth, and precise

Lucky! Must be nice Brian...

Sagisi: Good job on the win!

SAGISI
2011.02.09, 06:40 PM
Great work, Ryan! I figured you'd do well with the 1/12 car. What kit did you go with? CRC, Xray, AE? I'd love to see your setup as I'm thinking of picking one up as well. I have an AE TC6 that I started racing a few months ago but have struggled to get it to hook up the way I want it to. I'm thinking I might enjoy the pan car more. A lot of the guys around here run the CRC so I'm thinking of going that route. We race carpet in a similar environment to NorCal so I'd be interested in seeing your setup.

Next you'll need to start dominating the off-road scene! Very, very different when you start adding jumps into racing. :D

I've found 1/8 electric to be the most fun/challenging - especially when you live near a great 1/8 track like NorCal. Skip short course - it's for noobs. The most competitive offroad class is 1/10 buggy and it's probably the most difficult to master. It's generally better run on indoor clay tracks though.

Thanks everyone!

Mike- I used a CRC Gen XL. Ill email you the setup sometime today or tomorrow. I might switch over to a Top Rebel but the gen XL is a awesome car. 1/10th buggy is a hit or miss here at NorCal. Most of the time they got only a handful of guys running the class. I think shortcourse on any give day has at least 25 guys.

mdowney
2011.02.09, 07:33 PM
Yeah, they're 1/10 track is more tailored to Short Course driving.

I've raced a lot of short course but it has become the noob/basher class up here in the PacNW. The fast guys all run 1/10 buggy - but that's on an indoor clay track. At the big, outdoor 1/8 track (only open in the summer so long as it doesn't rain - in SEATTLE!) everyone runs 1/8 buggies (mostly nitro but some electric) and short course.

If you do give short course a try definitely go with the Kyosho Ultima SC-R for 2WD or the Durango DESC410R for 4WD (if it ever ships). The 4WD short course is the big thing in 2011 and the class will surely be popular. Many tracks are combining 4WD and 2WD until 4WD gets more popular - which give a huge advantage to the 4WD guys. AE just announced their 4WD SCT but it's belt-driven, which I think will be better for smaller, indoor tracks.

Anyways, I'm going off topic...

The CRC is very popular up here. I think I'll give it a try. I've heard good things about TOP but I think they're more popular at NorCal because their US distributor is a local racer. I haven't really come across them elsewhere.

mini-z
2011.02.09, 07:42 PM
If you do give short course a try definitely go with the Kyosho Ultima SC-R for 2WD ...

Not to stray further OT but if anyone wants an Ultima SC-R please get in touch and we'll hook you up w/ a great deal - got one left and I'd like to free up that shelf space! :D