PDA

View Full Version : Giroz timing system with 3 sensors

shaggy33
2011.02.24, 05:49 PM
Hi All
Bought this system for my mini z racing project and just wanted to check 3 sensors will be enough to cover the width of track i am using.
It comes with 3 which says is designed for 86cm wide track but I will be running 1 metre!
I am reading on the forums that there maybe more user friendly and reliable systems but I am hoping that as I have V2 transponders it will do the job!
Anyone know of any demo vids with system in action?

Cheers

zround
2011.02.24, 07:27 PM
Hi All
Bought this system for my mini z racing project and just wanted to check 3 sensors will be enough to cover the width of track i am using.
It comes with 3 which says is designed for 86cm wide track but I will be running 1 metre!
I am reading on the forums that there maybe more user friendly and reliable systems but I am hoping that as I have V2 transponders it will do the job!
Anyone know of any demo vids with system in action?

Cheers
I can't assure it :o, but I think it could work. I assume you will build your bridge, check where to place the sensor to cover all the detection line. Pay attention not only on the external areas (near the track border) but all along the line.

If the sensors are too separated, it could have "shadow" areas where the transponders are not detected. You could place the bridge a bit higher to made the detection area of the sensors wider but a too high position could prevent transponders to be detected.

Regarding the "user friendly" matter, I do not agree :cool:. I must say the software (it's not from GiroZ but from me:() allows people to do simple tasks in a very simple way. As software allows a lot of customization, you need to understand what you need to customize. Of course, you can't get 100% the first time you use it.:D

In 40 seconds you can have your lapcounter counting from scratch.
http://www.zround.com/files/downloads/ZRound%20working%20on%2040sec.wmv. :D

You have two video tutorials about using the championship manager here: http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=170

And here you have some videos of our last club race (30 racers registed) using GiroZ: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=83751D051127A0F9

Best regards.
--
Jesús Broceño
www.zround.com

VAzRACER
2011.02.24, 07:43 PM
When I first got my Giroz I was having a ghost counting issue. I went through unpluging the sensors one by one. The center sensor was bad so I left it unplugged. Right now I am using two sensors to cover the 86cm track and it works just fine, I assume using three sensors you could space them out more to cover a larger distance.

The software is easy to figure out. I just played around with it for a while and watched how other were using it. Once you learn it you will like it very much. It prompts you through out the setup so its hard to mess up.

shaggy33
2011.02.25, 04:21 AM
This is really helpful, thank you. I'll try it with 3 sensors and test the whole width of the track for any poor areas.
Can I add sensors to the 3 that come with it? Also what height do they recommend the bridge to be as a starting point?

zround
2011.03.07, 06:11 PM
This is really helpful, thank you. I'll try it with 3 sensors and test the whole width of the track for any poor areas.
Can I add sensors to the 3 that come with it? Also what height do they recommend the bridge to be as a starting point?
Hi, if it isn't too late ...

Yes, the GiroZ base PCB allows to connect up to 5 sensors. The sensors must be placed every 26cm. There is a commercial extension length to support 3 RCP tiles wide (136cm).

You can start at 15" height.

If 3 sensors don't work, you always can connect 1 more. I think it should be enough.

Jesus.

shaggy33
2011.03.09, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all your help on this and for the links to the bridge build (well impressed).
I am cheating a bit by using 32mm water pipe which I will then cover in a black and white check design decal I am having made at work.

Total track width from inside of each barrier is actually 84cm. Therefore I planned to place each sensor 28cm apart on the basis each sensor has 14cm 'catchment each side of sensor.
Would this work or does it absolutely have to be 26cm?

zround
2011.03.09, 05:38 PM
I think 28cm could work... Try it and let us know if it works. ;)

Regards.