PDA

View Full Version : Race Event Friday 3/18/11 8pm - Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, MI - Mini-ZRacer.com

hobbycar
2011.03.08, 10:16 PM
Join us for another Ann Arbor Mini-Z GTG (AA GTG) on Friday March 18th, 2011 at 8pm. We primarily run Mini-Zs (2WD, AWD, and F1s) (MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, MR-01). But if you want you can bring your DNanos, Iwavers, XMods, Micro-Ts, and Epochs, etc. Some people even bring their rc helicopters and airplanes :eek:

New people are welcome as always! Everyone is friendly and helpful and we have lots of fun! :)

NOTE: here's the easy to remember URL to keep up to date with our events: http://www.mini-zracer.com/annarbor

Please bring $10 to cover the cost of the race night (one fee for the whole night of practice and racing - a great value!).
Reminder: You can now pay your entry fees online (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=19617&cat=485&page=1).

NOTE: Transponder rental is $3 (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=20512) for the entire night if you do not own one.

This is a special Friday Event that starts at 8pm.

It is in Ypsilanti, MI (just southeast of Ann Arbor). The address is:
3140 Carpenter, Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Reminder that Dojo 4 is now 3140 Carpenter - park around the back of the building and use the back door to since the storefront section is closed when we start.

------------------------------------------
Get your orders into http://Shop.TinyRC.com early and you can choose to pick it up at this AA GTG Event to save on shipping costs.

Post here to let us know what time you plan to come and what time you need to leave.
------------------------------------------

We have started our new 2011 Ann Arbor Mini-ZRacer.com season! And we have decided to rejoin HowFastAreYou.com (HFAY) (http://www.HowFastAreYou.com/) for its season # 11! We will be doing the HFAY races one week, and then do our personal big track race the other AA GTG week during the month. HFAY is a smaller layout than we typically do but is fun in that you can compete and compare your times to racers all around the world

-hobbycar

HFAY Track for the month:
http://hfay.tinyrc.com/Portals/0/files/Tracks/HFAY-Track-18.jpg

example of one of the big tracks we have run:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29509&stc=1&d=1269198341
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30501&d=1284348164

Deca
2011.03.08, 11:18 PM
That HFAY layout looks a lot better than the ones we've run thus far.

vigilanterc
2011.03.09, 02:52 PM
The next event, some F-1 action I will bring. (Yoda speak?):p

Here is pic of my freshly dusted of Mini-Z F-1's. I can thank Will for getting me interested in these years ago. I just converted one to 2.4 and I am waiting for my other 2.4 and parts to arrive for the other one.

I can't wait to drive them around again!!

Steven
Vigilante R/C

mini-z
2011.03.17, 08:24 PM
Wow S, those are some classic F1 bodies! :D

MRDAVT
2011.03.17, 09:19 PM
I hope I will be at Dojo by 8pm.

rensuchan
2011.03.17, 10:14 PM
If we don't do F1 this week, we HAVE to next week since the season starts probably about the same time we'll end up leaving the dojo ultimately :)

rensuchan
2011.03.18, 05:50 AM
I started getting sick a few days ago and I'm still feeling pretty crappy. I still want to race tonight (want to try to get my AWD dialed in and try it for HFAY) but I wont be able to do much moving around and such and I wont talk much if I do show up.

Just a heads up.

YoYo-Pete
2011.03.18, 11:32 AM
I'm in for tonight.... Still have only stock rear as I havent put on my gimbal motor mount yet... So that means I'm not going to win. :P

I'll take care of the foods procurement and ordering tonight so L doesnt infect us all.

P.S. The F1's are really sweet.

YoYo-Pete
2011.03.18, 11:34 AM
Hey rensuchan...

This body scream you.

http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=21325&cat=0&page=1&featured

P.S. Do you have a W in your name?

Deca
2011.03.18, 11:34 AM
Dan! If you're reading this, do you think you'll be able to bring along your fiberglass stuff and possibly help me get the NSX patched up to run tonight? I'd really appreciate it :)

Hey rensuchan...

This body scream you.

http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=21325&cat=0&page=1&featured

Dude we'd been talking about that body for like months and looked at it at the last race :P Rensu actually has one now so we might get to see it in action tonight!

YoYo-Pete
2011.03.18, 12:33 PM
I know you guys were... I thought it was only a ready set for some reason. lol

Deca
2011.03.18, 01:21 PM
I know you guys were... I thought it was only a ready set for some reason. lol

It was last race when we were looking at it, D got some standalone ASCs in since then though.

vigilanterc
2011.03.18, 04:21 PM
Wow S, those are some classic F1 bodies! :D

You mean these are not 2011 version?:p:p

Deca
2011.03.18, 07:01 PM
I actually just looked at the new Evo again and now I kind of want those wheels.

mini-z
2011.03.19, 11:14 AM
Thanks everyone for pulling things together to get the event going quickly last night - that was great! :)

vigilanterc
2011.03.19, 05:44 PM
Here is the progress of Deca's Car body. It looks ugly now with all the clamps in place. Step 2 requires filling where needed, sanding and shaping. Step 3 is finish and color as needed.....this body may be beyond total repair due to lots of pre-damage and previous repairs with other glues...

Repairs being done at the Vigilante R/C shop.

Steven

vigilanterc
2011.03.20, 10:51 AM
Here is the completed NSX Body for Deca's RM chassis.
It seem very strong now. I stepped on it with my foot, I threw it across the room. Ran it over with my truck as well.....Ok, by now you know I did not do any of those things exept some needed body work....

Let me know if you like the work (Deca)David.

Steven
Vigilante R/C

vigilanterc
2011.03.21, 09:02 AM
Here is Daca's race car with the repairs complete.
I hope to see this front end survive a lot more abuse from other hackers:;)D I mean Racers;);)

One pic shows the very start, and the other after its hospital stay!:D

Are we doing a Saturday race?

Steven
Vigilante R/C

Deca
2011.03.21, 09:47 AM
Hah that looks awesome, thanks so much!! I can finally stop worrying about the body splitting in half (though I might have to worry about smashing other cars into bits :P)

Oh one other little thing I noticed before (that you very possibly may have noticed as well) is that my big window insert bit has been coming a little loose. If you have the appropriate glue laying around and could just put a couple drops on the attach points that would be awesome :)

I really really appreciate you helping me out here, you're awesome Steve :D

vigilanterc
2011.03.21, 11:02 AM
Hah that looks awesome, thanks so much!! I can finally stop worrying about the body splitting in half (though I might have to worry about smashing other cars into bits :P)

Oh one other little thing I noticed before (that you very possibly may have noticed as well) is that my big window insert bit has been coming a little loose. If you have the appropriate glue laying around and could just put a couple drops on the attach points that would be awesome :)

I really really appreciate you helping me out here, you're awesome Steve :D

No Problem. Glad to help. I had already fixed the front wind screen as well when I wrapped up the fixes. It should be all tidy now.

I cant wait to get it into your hands and see how she works, with the added weight up front you may get more steering now....:)
Steven
Vigilante R/C

Deca
2011.03.21, 12:43 PM
Yeah I'm wondering how the weight is going to affect everything...might just have to tighten up the front suspension a bit to keep the same handling. Who knows, it might run better than ever as is! :)

vigilanterc
2011.03.21, 02:06 PM
Yeah I'm wondering how the weight is going to affect everything...might just have to tighten up the front suspension a bit to keep the same handling. Who knows, it might run better than ever as is! :)

Yes, being a RM set up I am sure it will not hurt. I wish mine had just a tad more grip up front. The weight is minimal but I am betting it will work as good or better than before.....Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I got my rear Damper Disk on the car now so I hope it settles it down a little and then I am sure I will love the RM set-up on my car too...

Steven

vigilanterc
2011.03.24, 07:00 PM
Here is my solution to fix those pesky, loose fitting race car bodies that unclip at the slightest bump.....No Tape! A CNC machined custom fit "Horse Shoe" clip that mounts to the inside of the body to apply squeeze to the chassis from the body clips. I designed in "Pre-Squeeze" meaning that the part when fitted pulls the body in a couple of millimeters before it even gets fitted to the body and this eliminates the side-to-side play lots of bodies have when mounted to the chassis. My 350z fitted with this part and it does not have any side to side play and it much firmer and grips the chassis with authority now!! The part only wheighs 4 grams. It is designed to hug the contours of the MR-03 chassis around the batteries and allows proper clearance for the oil shock and damper plate. I will test it out this Saturday. I do not expect the body to budge at all. The body is easy to remove with the same amount of effort as my stock 787b body which fits very well and it very firm as stock from Kyosho. I see lots of guys using tape and that is not an option for me..Tape does not really work at all as I see lots of bodies "popping" during a race....NOt mine I hope...Comments welcome.

Steven Fileccia
Vigilante R/C

blt456
2011.03.24, 07:05 PM
Chances are the body will still pop off in a race. One hit to the side and the body pops up on one side. If you just put a piece of scotch tape from door to door then you shouldn't have any problems......most people at my track do this and it works perfectly. If you see bodies pop off with tape then the user was doing something wrong.

vigilanterc
2011.03.24, 07:12 PM
I hope to have good luck.;) I notice that only some bodies like the wide racing types are very loose from the factory. My Clip should really hold it on well...At least it will take MUCH more effort to dislodge the body. I ran the car with the body stock and even the slightest hit made it come off. Not too good during a timed race as you know. (not crazy about tape:p) I would rather engineer a reliable and repeatable method :rolleyes: I want to be able to race carefree and not worry about it.
If this body gets popped I will be suprised!!:D:D

Oh yeah the guys at the track are generally putting tape only the the mounting tabs on the sides to "fill-in" the gap.....not really solving the problem.:eek: I hope to test well and not be embarrased if the body fails!:eek::eek:

Steven
Vigilante R/C

mini-z
2011.03.26, 03:32 PM
Here is Daca's race car with the repairs complete.
I hope to see this front end survive a lot more abuse from other hackers:;)D I mean Racers;);)

One pic shows the very start, and the other after its hospital stay!:D

Are we doing a Saturday race?

Steven
Vigilante R/C

Wow S, that looks awesome! :D FYI for anyone else w/ this issue that doesn't happen to have unlimited credit at Vigilante RC, 3Racing makes these SSG Front Body Reinforcement Plates which also combat this problem.

mini-z
2011.03.26, 04:05 PM
Here is my solution to fix those pesky, loose fitting race car bodies that unclip at the slightest bump.....No Tape! A CNC machined custom fit "Horse Shoe" clip that mounts to the inside of the body to apply squeeze to the chassis from the body clips. ...

Nice innovation S, looking forward to seeing how it does on the track! :)