PDA

View Full Version : NEW PN 126 Pitch Ultra Fine Gearing! Yummy!

Traveler
2011.03.14, 06:51 PM
Anyone seen this yet? :D

EMU
2011.03.14, 07:44 PM
Davey G was running it at the Action RC WinterNats... Super quiet. Gear mesh adjustment has to be more precise, and I question durability when using a open rear body like a Pan car. I lost a few teeth from a good shot on a 64p, I would imagine that it would take less of an impact to damage these teeth.

Traveler
2011.03.14, 08:04 PM
I'm a sucker for anything new, and if the performance improvement is like from standard Kyosho pitch to 64p, then I'll be running them too. Maybe Philip will send a couple of sets as giveaways at the Carolina Cup (Hint, Hint).

SAGISI
2011.03.14, 11:39 PM
The mesh is just a little harder to adjust then 64 pitch. As far as durability goes.. Im still on my first spur with 2 months of use on my pan mod. I did however strip one pinion gear but that was because I didn't tighten the motor down enough. This spur is extremely quiet!!! Sounds really nice when coming down the straightaway! Reminds me of a turbo spooling

yasuji
2011.03.15, 12:20 AM
been using this since its proto stages... the gear mesh is much more precise
it is a tick harder to get the mesh rt... i love this new gear and yes it is SUPER QUIET!:cool:

tudor_47
2011.03.15, 01:57 AM
I do hope Pnracing will bundle the gears in a package, bying all gears seperatly is very expensive

color01
2011.03.15, 03:57 AM
I tested a proto a while back as well... I thought the spur was very quiet, very light too, and it seems that there are no usability/durability sacrifices with the spur. Mine's looking just fine still.

Theoretically the pinions should be a little less durable than the 64p pinions but I think their wear life in practice is pretty good. I've chewed through two pinions on a 70t car without many major impacts, but I was also jumping the car (yes, the MR03) and abusing the gears for general durability testing. 64p is much more durable in that regard but I found that I'm still wearing down pinions over time; I'd rather replace pinions one race sooner but get the improved smoothness and an extra diff ball to play with (6 vs. 5). As soon as I get a new pinion I will be back to rocking this setup, it's very smooth.

My only complaint really is the amount of RCP fibers that get stuck in between the teeth, it makes it painfully obvious when you need to clean the gears (loud whiny noise). I may also not be cleaning the gears often enough, possibly why my pinions are wearing out so fast. :confused:

Felix2010
2011.03.15, 10:39 AM
SOO Cool!:) I love this, need to order some....

PNracing
2011.03.15, 01:44 PM
I do hope Pnracing will bundle the gears in a package, bying all gears seperatly is very expensive

If we sell Set, the price should be same, the price high because it is CNC MACHINE CUT not molding injection, it is more precision.

Traveler
2011.03.15, 02:21 PM
Phil, That was Tudor_47 wishing for a combo package and price. I'm hoping you'll send me some for FREE to give out as prizes at the Carolina Cup :D

lfisminiz
2011.03.15, 03:16 PM
I did order a set to try. I have spare diffs in my box to put these on. It will be an easy swap.;):)

Traveler
2011.03.15, 03:28 PM
Yeah, my LHS ordered some too. Guessing they'll be on one of my diffs within 15 minutes of arriving at the track on Thursday... :D

herman
2011.03.15, 10:34 PM
hope somebody can post pics... thanks... :D

Draconious
2011.03.16, 12:11 AM
Hmm... so I guess since the teeth are as small as it gets, the only other step left is to make the gears spirals/helicals? :)

This usually means 0 backlash/gap because the next set of teeth are already touching when the previous set lets go... So this could work on larger teeth/pitch... and give similar results as the smaller pitch. Plus it strengthens the gears.

(Or are these? I have not seen photos of these gears yet)

EMU
2011.03.16, 12:53 AM
hope somebody can post pics... thanks... :D

From KenonHobby
http://www.kenonhobby.com/assets/images/412619-412628-1.jpg

tudor_47
2011.03.16, 03:07 AM
Here's some pictures for all of you not on f******k.....

Pictures (http://haagringnews.blogspot.com/2011/03/new-126-pitch-gear-from-pn-racing.html).

And I am still hoping for a set/package deal on the gears.

tudor_47
2011.03.16, 03:14 AM
Can the new spurs be used as a normal NON-limited slip diff spurs?

I see normal round holes in the spurs along the pear shaped holes...

cosmicsoul
2011.03.16, 08:15 AM
Yeah, my LHS ordered some too. Guessing they'll be on one of my diffs within 15 minutes of arriving at the track on Thursday... :D

That's if you get there before me! ;):eek:

color01
2011.03.16, 08:18 AM
tudor -- yes, but I have been universally getting better results using the LSD holes than the normal holes. Using the LSD holes lets me setup the car to be more aggressive, I get more turn in while not having to worry about too much steering on exit.

Traveler
2011.03.16, 08:26 AM
Can the new spurs be used as a normal NON-limited slip diff spurs?

I see normal round holes in the spurs along the pear shaped holes...

Good eye! I missed that nuance.

That's if you get there before me! ;):eek:

I'll be camping out there tonight to be the first in line tomorrow. :)

cosmicsoul
2011.03.16, 08:32 AM
Color- would the non LSD holes accept the same size diff ball as the LSD holes.

I was under the impression that those holes were there to reduce weight.

I think the 64 pitch LSD spurs have them as well. If so does the same apply.

Traveler
2011.03.16, 08:39 AM
Color- would the non LSD holes accept the same size diff ball as the LSD holes.

I was under the impression that those holes were there to reduce weight.

I think the 64 pitch LSD spurs have them as well. If so does the same apply.

The innermost holes are probably to reduce weight and "store" excess lube. But these new spurs have 12 outer holes (as opposed to 10 in the previous PN spurs), 6 that are normal and 6 that are limited slip. Awesome! :cool:

Now if it could just serve me an espresso at my pit space LOL :D

cosmicsoul
2011.03.16, 08:53 AM
Now if it could just serve me an espresso at my pit space LOL :D[/QUOTE]

We could probably rig something up with a tire truer and tire warmers.:p

tudor_47
2011.03.16, 09:11 AM
tudor -- yes, but I have been universally getting better results using the LSD holes than the normal holes. Using the LSD holes lets me setup the car to be more aggressive, I get more turn in while not having to worry about too much steering on exit.

The results are found on RCP I guess?

I am assuming that you can leave the diff a little looser to allow more slip off power to get steering and the non-slip function grabs the ball on acceleration?

yasuji
2011.03.16, 09:22 AM

I am assuming that you can leave the diff a little looser to allow more slip off power to get steering and the non-slip function grabs the ball on acceleration?

u got it! u can run 3 different options as well 6 std 6 lsd or 12 ball 6n6
i have found that i prefer the 6 lsd:D

color01
2011.03.16, 12:34 PM

Yes and yes. :) Because the balls are spaced out further compared to other spurs, you can run the tension looser and still not slip under acceleration; but the diff will be freer when coasting/braking, giving you more turn-in. Then when you accelerate again, the spur grabs the ball and you get a little less exit steering, but more forward traction -- especially on a bumpy track like Kenon where the rear wheels leave the ground ALL THE TIME. I like it, the forward traction means I can make my setup more aggressive, right now my car has so much steering I don't ever have to lift off the throttle completely on the PN layout A. :) How's 8.671 sound for an 80t fast lap?

EMU
2011.03.16, 12:48 PM
I feel that a tighter diff gives me more exit steering, and a looser one more entrance steering. Wouldnt that be the case when using the limited slip holes? You can run it looser to gain entrance steering but still get good drive/exit as you would if you ran the diff tighter?

color01
2011.03.16, 01:09 PM
AFAIK the effect depends on setup and how you drive, exit steering can go either way. If your rear tires are planted when you accelerate, then a tighter diff will fight your input and the car will have less steering. If you rear tires are close to slipping, or already slipping a little bit, a tighter diff will make the outside tire slip more, so you get more steering. For 80t racing I don't seem to have enough power to slip the tires on acceleration so the LSD spur gave me a little more drive, a little less steering; I had to turn up the dual rate % to reclaim some on-power steering. Then my off-power steering became ludicrous. :D

herman
2011.03.16, 08:16 PM
thanks emu for the pics...
and thanks tudor 47 for the additional info...

man that's a lot of teeth for a spur and pinion gear... lots of options...
would just have to keep them clean, and take extra care in setting the mesh...

herman
2011.03.16, 08:18 PM
u got it! u can run 3 different options as well 6 std 6 lsd or 12 ball 6n6
i have found that i prefer the 6 lsd:D
great another thing to think about... :rolleyes: :D

dgomes
2011.06.05, 11:27 PM
Hello,

Has anyone mounted these on the Jomurema ceramic plates with the QteQ mounts?

I am finding the plates to leave too much room.

Any thoughts?

Daniel

skytng
2011.07.31, 10:48 AM
Hi guys I'm running 126 pitch for my car. I went for race today and to make sure everything is in gd co dition I bought a new pinion gear for it. Halfway tru my race the whole pinion just give way. To my surprise it went lose so I switch to the other side and the same thing happen. Anyone here face the same problem?

color01
2011.08.01, 01:13 AM
Is this only one of the pinions you have tried or all of them? Some motor shafts are looser than others, sometimes a pinion may (through a machining error) may be looser than others. Is your gear mesh set correctly? If the motor gets too hot, the pinion could theoretically expand enough to come loose.

skytng
2011.08.01, 04:59 AM
Yup using the right gear set up. The others on my car don't face this problem n is brand new too

color01
2011.08.01, 05:59 AM
I would just replace the pinion, if you really care about that $5 then feel free to contact PN about it. :)

Slapstick10
2011.08.01, 03:56 PM
I run the 126 also and find that some pinions need a little getting to the right place on the shaft. Some are tighter then others. I used blue thread lock for extra support for the loose ones.

mitchy2759
2011.08.25, 10:08 AM
hi all. i'm currently using kyosho's mr03 red ball diff from the red chassis package. if i want to try using the 126p, does this mean i have to buy a new pn 64p ball diff set first? and change the pinion and spur?
thanx for the info

EMU
2011.08.25, 10:46 AM
You would need to change the spur, and make clearance for the bearing on pressure plates.

Heres a rebuild guide http://fastpaceracing.com/content/2wd-ball-differential-rebuild-qteq

Note the picture http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/Teejay_Cynthia/FPR%20Mini-Z/IMG_1064.jpg

You can see the inside of the pressure plate that was sanded to be flat with the diff ring. This prevents it from hitting the spur where the bearing is, and pinching the spur. After you work the pressure plate, you are going to have to glue the diff rings in place. You want to use a minimal amount of glue, and be sure that the ring is flat on the pressure plate (I rotate the ring a little on the plate as the glue dries, it spreads it out and prevents the ring from having more glue under one side of it than others).

color01
2012.12.03, 12:39 AM
The tip of the "pear" points counterclockwise: when you rotate the spur forwards (driving the car forward), you want the diff balls to be touching the angled part of the pear instead of riding on the normal, round part. The interaction between the angled section and each diff ball produces friction, which slows down the rotation of the balls, and that's where the limited slip effect comes from. ;)

color01
2012.12.04, 01:10 AM
Hah, and all this time I've never even bothered to look at where the number is. But yes, you're right.

yahuzz
2012.12.05, 09:17 AM
The tip of the "pear" points counterclockwise: when you rotate the spur forwards (driving the car forward), you want the diff balls to be touching the angled part of the pear instead of riding on the normal, round part. The interaction between the angled section and each diff ball produces friction, which slows down the rotation of the balls, and that's where the limited slip effect comes from. ;)

Hi Brian...
i was thinking about what you said... if you make the pear head pointing clockwise instead of counterclockwise, you'll obtain limited slip effect only when releasing throttle... In other words, you'll obtain some kind of engine breaking due to the friction between spur and ball... On the other hand behavior of the car when going forward will be as the same as using standard holes... is it right?

Why i would i want to have a limited slip when pushing on throttle? :confused:

DanDan
2012.12.05, 07:51 PM

K4mp4q,

No need to be confused my friend. Just read what Brian wrote, which I quoted above and you'll have no issues :)

Yahuzz,

If installed backwards, the limited slip spur will function like a normal spur gear. The limited slip effect in my opinion makes the car feel like the diff is really tight when on the throttle. I didn't dig it, but I know some racers who found it worked well with their setup :cool:

blt456
2012.12.05, 08:20 PM
Hi Brian...
i was thinking about what you said... if you make the pear head pointing clockwise instead of counterclockwise, you'll obtain limited slip effect only when releasing throttle... In other words, you'll obtain some kind of engine breaking due to the friction between spur and ball... On the other hand behavior of the car when going forward will be as the same as using standard holes... is it right?

Why i would i want to have a limited slip when pushing on throttle? :confused:

I've bought multiple 64p and 126 spurs. I always have the number facing the right rear wheel instead of towards the motor pod. The spur gear spins clockwise when going forward (diff balls shoot into tear drop).

From my understanding, the whole point of this spur gear is that it allows users to loosen their diffs. With a looser diff, you get more off throttle steering while the LSD effect makes the diff lock up when going forward.

I personally setup my diffs a little looser than everyone at my local track because I run a 64p LSD spur gear. I have been using the LSD spurs since 2010 and have always been happy with my results. For any motor slower than a PN 50 turn, I haven't really noticed the LSD effect. However, with a PN 50 turn and 33 turn, I can clearly notice the LSD effect and it allows me to be a lot more aggressive with the throttle.

I had to modify my last two 53t LSD spur gears. The tear drops were so small that the diff balls wouldn't move. So, I just drilled out the holes. You can do the same on any spur gear. Just make sure that you don't have the same issue. If your spur is defective like mine were, you can just drill out the diff ball holes and loosen your diff for the same effect.

yahuzz
2012.12.06, 02:34 AM
Thanks everybody for your answers... :)
i was sure that limited slip effect concerned brake... i'm always looking for some kind of engine breaking to go faster into corners... so... :P
...i'm gonna try Drag Brake on my KIY and let's see what happens!

skyler
2012.12.06, 03:15 AM
The spurs I've seen have an arrow machined in them to show instllation direction.

monkeyZ
2013.02.06, 10:34 PM
Has anyone noticed a major difference in steering when using the LSD holes on the spurs? I get snap turning if I use the LSD mode for left turns and normal on throttle push for right turns. I have the numbers of the spur facing out toward the right rear tire so if you looked at the pear shape from the outside the tips are facing counter-clock wise.

Have went back to running the normal ball location for now and it eliminates the push/snap mode.

*Yes, I know that if you crank down the right rear wheel nut it causes this push/snap mode. Also, there is side to side play on the axle so we aren't binding on the left rear hub.

MR-03
PN 70T
PN lightweight V2

JesseT
2014.03.12, 12:53 AM
Are there any plans to make pinions larger than 28teeth? Many, including I, are always using the 28 and stupidly large tires, even tough the car would handle much better with smaller tires.
Also, a smaller spur than 106 would be nice, because we can always run the rear tires only to the point where the spur is touching the track and the tires are still at their prime.