PDA

View Full Version : Advice on PN Gimbaled mount

howgudami
2011.03.18, 02:53 PM
I am thinking about getting this product to replace the whole rear end of my MR-03 (except motor and diff):
http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-Mini-Z-MR03-98-102mm-Gimbaled-Motor-Mount-Orange_p_43929.html

But i cant find any review on it.

is it any good, seen as it is different to most other designs?

I currently run an Atomic v5 98mm ally pod with soft t plate and Kyosho oil shock.

lornecherry
2011.03.19, 12:19 PM
...if there are no reviews, the first thing to take into account is the weight of this stuff compared to known upgrades or stock. And don't be afraid to ask P&N for the weight, or if any of their sponsored racers are using this!

Weigh (pun intended) all of this with P&N's good reputation for doing their homework before releasing parts. Still, it would be great if a dealer or factory rep answers this question ...and someone did the only testing that really matters ...timed laps.

howgudami
2011.03.19, 02:29 PM
...if there are no reviews, the first thing to take into account is the weight of this stuff compared to known upgrades or stock. And don't be afraid to ask P&N for the weight, or if any of their sponsored racers are using this!

Weigh (pun intended) all of this with P&N's good reputation for doing their homework before releasing parts. Still, it would be great if a dealer or factory rep answers this question ...and someone did the only testing that really matters ...timed laps.

Thanks. i think im going to give it a shot.

Not to bothered about weight. I think the Mini Z can feel underweighted at times anyway. It will be heavier than my current setup cos there is a DDS, more complex top shock and side shocks.

cowboysir
2011.03.19, 05:33 PM
there is quite a discussion around the site on the MR02 gimballed mount...you should read it and find the merits of it from that thread.

It seems to me that there was problems with pivot slop but I dont know if that was rectified in the MR03 design.

kryten
2011.03.19, 06:09 PM
From what i have seen the pivot slop issue was not resolved on the 03 version. The slop on the one i saw was unacceptable.

howgudami
2011.03.19, 06:11 PM
From what i have seen the pivot slop issue was not resolved on the 03 version. The slop on the one i saw was unacceptable.

Where does this slop occour? and how does it affect driving?

EDIT: this is a confusing product, The people that thinks it works well seem to really emphasise how much better it is. But then there are complaints. Hmmm..

dvsstrike
2011.03.20, 09:16 AM
the use of the QTec plate works better than the gimbal mount. give that a try

howgudami
2011.03.20, 09:58 AM
the use of the QTec plate works better than the gimbal mount. give that a try

isnt that just a T Plate?

dvsstrike
2011.03.20, 06:21 PM
yes but works the same essentialy

EMU
2011.03.20, 08:17 PM
No, its a t-bar. It has adjustability in roll stiffness, which a t-plate does not have. It also has ball pivots on the rear screw holes where it meets the motormount. It does not flex very much, but pivots, much like the Gimbal mount.

The Gimbal mount has a little slop, but it still works well. My first time setting up a gimbal mount, I made it to the A main at the PNWC finals in pan (thanks to some spring tips from Grant). The same car with relatively no setup changes has podiumed or won every race it has been in since then (Pan car). It definitely works, and increases rear traction over the t-plate, but I would like a little less slop in the setup.

I do prefer the Qteq t-bar, as there is adjustable functionality in it and can be used with a DDS or tri-damper, and can accomodate wheelbases from 90mm to 102mm depending on the motormount used.