PDA

View Full Version : Howdy, new to the forums and looking at Miniz.

kidphc
2011.03.21, 03:19 PM
Hi there. I wasn't sure if I should post this up in the beginner section or not. Figured it was best to put it in a local sub-forum.

*WALL OF TEXT WARNING!*

I guess I'll start with a bit of a bio. I was born and raised in the Mosby woods Elem/Oakton HS area of Fairfax. Around the time I was 12 my family moved to Montgomery County Md where I have been since.

I use to participate in 1/10 scale stock racing (bone stock) for some time in the early 90s. This was mostly in the Hobby Works car series. Boy have things changed since then. A couple of years ago I got into RC helis and have been spending most of my beer and liquor budget there. With a 6 month old girl now I've downsized my heli fleet and was looking for something that didn't make me cry, or make my wallet anorexic every time I had a small wreck. So I started looking at cars again. Driving around a car in front of the house by myself wasn't very appealing. Looking at 1/10 scale racers, the wife warned me that if that is what I wanted to do, the helis will have to go. Too many hobbies not enough time.

I started looking at mini-z, as a good fit for me. I think it will be a good bonding experience for my brother-inlaw (in Toronto), as he should be able to afford this.

I've been lurking on the forums till today. So far I've visited Mimi's, she hasn't changed much in 21 years, as well as Hobby works to look at mini-z cars. I might have to have a dinner with Hobby Hangar's owner to see if I can convince him to stock some mini-z or a track. :)

Well long story short, I know it's been an ordeal already, I'm so fricking confused as to what to get. I'm pretty sure that if I go with Mini-z I'll end up with an Airtronics m11 module radio. The cars on the other hand are kinda all over the place. I couldn't find a Primer or a condensed getting started thread.

Here are my questions:
1. How competitive are the GTG or Hfays?
2. Which car would you recommend? Some reasons why? Maybe a list?
3. I've noticed most of the rules for the stock classes don't list the chassis mods. Are they mostly unrestricted?
4. How helpful are the people at the meets?
5. Any recommendations that you would have wanted to know if you were starting new again?

I'm looking to have fun with a bit of competition mixed in. I don't want the type of racing where everyone is sitting in the pits with a game face on. I've had enough of that in 1/10 scale racing.

kryten
2011.03.21, 04:54 PM
Very informative post. :) In my experience....

As competative as any racing i've seen,but with a much friendlier attitude.

The MR03,it's very good straight from the box,and needs very little to be a competative car.

3. I've noticed most of the rules for the stock classes don't list the chassis mods. Are they mostly unrestricted?
Classes in mini-z are generally governed by the motors each class can run.Other than motors,any upgrades are permitted.

The most helpfull i have ever experienced,mini-z racers want you to enjoy driving and to go faster,and no-one hides their setups-quite the opposite in fact,other racers will openly tell you their setups and how to improve yours too.

5. Any recommendations that you would have wanted to know if you were starting new again?
1 main one for me,you don't need lots of upgrades to go fast. Generally bearings,t-plate and tyres will do it. :)

Traveler
2011.03.21, 05:08 PM
Ditto for my experiences on this side of the pond. Welcome to the forums kidphc! You are lucky to be in an area that has a healthy Mini-Z scene.

color01
2011.03.21, 06:44 PM

I'm looking to have fun with a bit of competition mixed in. I don't want the type of racing where everyone is sitting in the pits with a game face on. I've had enough of that in 1/10 scale racing.
Welcome to the forums! You're definitely asking the right questions for starting out in Mini-Z.

1. GTG are local events ("get-togethers", as the name implies) so the atmosphere will be fairly casual and it's all about having fun. HFAY is still very laid-back and fun, but the competition is across the entire world (!) so it can be VERY competitive depending on who participates.

2. If you're worried about durability, the MR02 is definitely the way to go. Also cheaper to pick up initially, but as kryten mentioned, the MR03 starts out at a more competitive level. Both chassis are equally competitive once you go all the way in terms of hop-ups -- at the recent RCX race this past weekend we had both MR02's and MR03's in contention for the win, an 03 took 2WD stock and an 02 took 2WD Mod. The biggest difference between the two, chassis-wise, is chassis stiffness (02 is stiffer) and battery layout (03 is narrower). The MR03 electronics are smoother and faster by the MR02's by a little bit, if you care about future-proofing your car then definitely get the MR03.

3. Chassis mods are almost unrestricted with the exception of swapping out to conversion chassis -- custom conversion chassis like the MRCG1.1 are classified as non Mini-Z cars and cannot be run in Kyosho-only classes. Otherwise, you can do pretty much anything you want under the hood.

4. Very! Mini-Z is the most laid-back competitive racing scale, every time I go race my opponents tell me a lot of their secrets! Everyone gets faster as a result and the racing just gets better and better. Most of the time when we find a good setup we post all about it and answer any questions about it too, just take a look in the MR02 and MR03 pictures threads in the Kyosho forum section. :) So much info (and cool pics too)!

5. Test and tune one thing at a time until you understand what each does to the car's behavior. I tried to tackle many things at once and sometimes my car would be totally off the hook, sometimes totally not hooked up lol. Moving conservatively in progressing your setups will take a bit more time, but it will be much easier and enjoyable in the long run. :)

kidphc
2011.03.21, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the information thus far. Any recommendations on t-plates and wheels? I would imagine having several tplates in different stiffnesses is probably a good idea. As far as the bearings go, any recomendations on ceramic versus steel balled bearings? Any noted differences with bearings with a higher grade?

Btw, I'm bit of a mod freak.

VAzRACER
2011.03.21, 07:46 PM
I prefer the Reflex G10 fiberglass plates. Kyosho makes a good set of carbon ones too. T-plates are cheap so I would say get a few different ones and see what you like.

For bearings, the ceramic are not worth the money. I've been using the same Reflex bearings in my cars for almost two years. I clean the frequently and they till spin like brand new and just as good as ant ceramic bearing I ever bought. I think they are out of stock at the moment thought.

We are racing at The Track this Saturday, if you are free you should come down. You can meet some of the local racers, check out cars/setups and get a general idea of what your getting into. You are welcome to take one of my cars around the track for a few laps to get a feel for it.

kryten
2011.03.21, 07:55 PM
I'd agree 100% with the post above me. A selection of t-plates will give you plenty tuning options to start with. I also don't think ceramic bearings are worth the extra. I have a set in my 03 and it doesn't seem any different to the PN bearings i was using previously.

Definately go along to your local club and check out the racing and atmosphere. I was blown away by the friendly atmosphere the first time i went to Stafford. They couldn't have been nicer or more welcoming.

kidphc
2011.03.21, 08:24 PM
What time will people be at the track?
I guess tire choice is going to be the rough part. Thankfully they are relatively cheap.

Vazracer thanks for the offer. I unfortunately, have this nasty habit of not playing with other people's stuff.

Traveler
2011.03.21, 08:29 PM
Vazracer thanks for the offer. I unfortunately, have this nasty habit of not playing with other people's stuff.

I do too, but in this case, I'd suggest making an exception. VAzRacer is a stand up guy, not to mention a great racer, and runs the cleanest pit space I've ever seen. I'd recommend taking him up on his offer :)

VAzRACER
2011.03.21, 08:38 PM
What time will people be at the track?
I guess tire choice is going to be the rough part. Thankfully they are relatively cheap.

She opens at 10am and a few of us will be there to get things setup. We should be racing by 1-2pm.

Like you said, tires are cheap. I can give you some pointers. For stock, most of us use Kyosho 30 of PN X15 in the front, Kyosho 20 or PN 8 treaded for the rear. For Mod, Kyosho 30, PN x15, or PN 8 for the front, PN 8 treaded or PN 6 treaded for the rear. These are popular choices and a good starting point. They all seem to work good on the tracks we race on.

I totally understand, I too try not to drive other peoples cars anymore. I still do from time to time but for the most part I will turn down the offer.:rolleyes:

VAzRACER
2011.03.21, 08:39 PM
I do too, but in this case, I'd suggest making an exception. VAzRacer is a stand up guy, not to mention a great racer, and runs the cleanest pit space I've ever seen. I'd recommend taking him up on his offer :)

hahaha, thanks bud. You'll get to see that clean pit spot in a few weeks. lol.

kidphc
2011.03.21, 08:42 PM
Guess I'll have post later what I'm wearing. To all the d.c. crew my name is Philip.

chucelli
2011.03.24, 10:16 AM
welcome Philip.
I'm also pretty new to the mini-z scene (racing them with others) and so far all the local guys I've met have been very helpful. The monthly HFAY events are fun, but difficult for me to get to for practice and races (I'm from the Gaithersburg area).
Matt,
where can I find more info on the Saturday race at The Track? Couldn't find anything on mini-z on their FB site...
-Robert

kidphc
2011.03.24, 11:01 AM
Only real information I could find:

Gaithersburg Track forum (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=204)

chucelli
2011.03.24, 02:16 PM
thanks Phil.
I always found it a bit strange Mimi doesn't advertise more. I would think there are many drivers who wouldn't have known about this. I certainly didn't until I saw it mentioned in this thread..

arch2b
2011.03.24, 02:55 PM
mimi tried mini-z many years ago and it flopped so i don't she's carried it or a mini-z track in a long time. i approached here over 5 years ago and at the time the costs were not realistic at the time to make it affordable for us and profitable for her. all the large scale racers that filled her place back then all told me mini-z was a toy. i'm sure the misconception is still there to some extent.

hobby works is all the way in fairfax however i find that it's only a 30-40 minute drive from germantown. i've only hit traffic on the way home once due to road construction. the upside to hobby works is that courtney doesn't charge us for hfay racing as the draw and drivers provide the source of revenue vs. a race fee, which he talked about implementing for hobby works races. it also helps courtney that all the track, etc. was donated so he doesn't have the same overhead costs put into it.

i'll be at mimi's saturday if all goes well. right now she just doesn't have a real advocate online for her location to handle advertising and distribution of information so the info we get right now is a bit disjointed.

kidphc
2011.03.24, 07:25 PM
Arch2b I'd like to thank the forum administrators and moderators. Having done both in the past it's an under appreciated job.

Does the d.c. Area club have any of the following?
- email list
- text message mailing list
- twitter?

I think twitter is a great way to let people know about events and any up to date news. I know I use it to follow FAA notam/tfr announcements from the ama.