PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous prices for somewhat rare Autoscale bodies

lornecherry
2011.04.08, 11:58 AM
A while back, I posted a WTB for a Caprice police car Autoscale body that is no longer made. I got no replies, but then last week one came up on fleaBay. Bidding sat around $50 for the first few days and I suspected it might even reach just under a hundred. Not a chance; it went for $250 ...for a body!

And then today someone did respond to my old WTB with a used Caprice body; so for a brief moment I was happy. His asking price? $150 GBP or about $250 ...and he made up an excuse about viruses making it impossible to send me pictures. Wow.

So let's say I'm the one who's uneducated with respect to rare body prices and these things really do sell for that (which I highly doubt).... seems like a great opportunity for an aftermarket body maker to re-introduce a police body style. Makes perfect sense too, with the Tiki-Tiki (chase) mode now on the new MR-03s.

Anyway, if you've put your investment capital into Caprice police body Autoscales, seems you are doing much better than gold, oil or the stock market. - Lorne

Skv012a
2011.04.08, 12:12 PM
It all depends really, because sometimes some older bodies simply don't catch such astounding popularity.

lornecherry
2011.04.08, 12:19 PM
I here 'ya, SKV, and agree that some bodies are not popular and are worth even less than there original list. The only reason why this one remains popular is because it's the only police body ever made (correct me if I'm wrong). And there is high demand for that right now.

Not sure is TRP or other aftermarket body makers read these pages, but anyone producing another police body would do well and easily recover the (rather expensive) mold costs. If it's a generic body (i.e looks close to a production police car), then there would be no licensing fees either.

supafastsupra2
2011.04.08, 12:39 PM
I think there was an r34 skyline police shell as well. What exactly is the mr03 chase mode anyways? Been out of the mini-z scene for a bit. :D

lornecherry
2011.04.08, 12:58 PM
...found a video of the R34 Skyline police ...it's odd looking to me (the paint scheme, not the car) and it's certainly not what us North American's would think of as a police car; I suspect those are popular in Japan though.

"Tiki Tiki" mode is basically an "overtake" or "turbo" button linked to a third channel, which gives you extra speed for a brief moment to pass (actually, the car runs at 70% throttle and the "extra speed" simply brings it back up to 100%). This is similar to a full-scale F1's Overtake button in that you can set it for how many times/how long you want the overtake to engage when the button is pressed.

(There are lots of better explanations on this site on the chase mode or via Google search, and there is some Kyosho demo videos; just search Tiki Tiki Kyosho.)

Even with our rental cars and easy oval tracks, I would say that this is nothing more than a gimmick or somewhat impractical, as the cars/tracks/driving skill variations present plenty of opportunities to pass anyway...would have liked to see that third channel linked to something more useful/fun, such as an on/off for lights/sound (that would be very cool on the police car body) or even in-car video.

new2miniz
2011.04.08, 01:15 PM
Hi Lornecherry, nice to meet you, i'm from toronto too.

I was following that same auction. I was interested in the caprice too, but not at that price. something didnt seem right with that auction. or someone really really wanted that body bad!

the same seller had an even more rare autoscale, limited to 200 untis ever produced, and that only sold for $199.

I bought my limited black jota for just over $200. but that was a ready set boxed and never opened.

i hope these are good investments! :D

new2miniz
2011.04.08, 01:20 PM
I think there was an r34 skyline police shell as well.

http://www.kyosho.com/common/image.php?id=116817

PAULANGELO
2011.04.08, 02:13 PM
funny thing is, the autoscales are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

boohoo
2011.04.08, 05:52 PM
i have both the taxi and police car both the chevy` version. the strange thing is when i tried to sell them last year no-one was interested in buying them for 50 each so i decided to keep them.

then a few weeks ago i tried to sell them again and the same thing no interest but if there going for that sort of money i may just try again this time on ebay and here they are just to prove i have them

police car
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/boohoo_2008/140320113251.jpg

taxi
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/boohoo_2008/140320113252.jpg

new2miniz
2011.04.08, 08:12 PM
If you are selling, I would consider buying these from you. email me the price you are looking for. bill_ng@hotmail.com

i have both the taxi and police car both the chevy` version. the strange thing is when i tried to sell them last year no-one was interested in buying them for 50 each so i decided to keep them.

then a few weeks ago i tried to sell them again and the same thing no interest but if there going for that sort of money i may just try again this time on ebay and here they are just to prove i have them

police car
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/boohoo_2008/140320113251.jpg

taxi
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/boohoo_2008/140320113252.jpg

kyoshosan
2011.04.14, 10:27 AM
A while back, I posted a WTB for a Caprice police car Autoscale body that is no longer made. I got no replies, but then last week one came up on fleaBay. Bidding sat around $50 for the first few days and I suspected it might even reach just under a hundred. Not a chance; it went for $250 ...for a body!...

It is really funny, i saw that one going on on ebay and to tell you the truth I was the first bidder on it, my initial bid was $25.00 :-), but I ended up not having time to follow it, and at the end I did saw it going up to a unbelievable price of $250.00!!!

Interesting enough, I bought one today for $39.00 :-) I guess, for some hard to find bodies, it is just a matter of timing, as you said, sometimes you offer it for a "low" price and nobody cares, sometimes it sky rockets just because there is two very interested bidders ;-p go figure....

Guinness
2011.04.14, 03:40 PM
i have the taxi still new in case. i hope it climbs in price like the police car. when i bought it, i intended to joy ride it around the house, but never did

kingpest13
2011.08.21, 03:51 AM
If im not mistaken I am the one who sold that body on ebay! So I hope you understand; that is awesome! I bought it from "fleabay" seven or eight Mos. Ago for fifty bucks. It was one of my least favorites so I dumped it and wow. I REALLY needed the cake so I was so happy I peed a little.(j.k.) interestingly I sold the skyline police car a couple weeks later and barely made any profit. I have done well in the autoscale speculation market. I sold four bodies for 900.00 on ebay and only paid around 200.00 for them. My best was a suberu made for the mr-01 I bought for 1 on ebay(guy listed it wrong) and sold for 119.00 two Mos. later. Sounds crazy but its all true.
The thing with a collector market is it is only worth what someone will pay. One day this market will tank just like comics do all the time.
My advice; collect the ones you like and never pay collector prices. If you miss it, you miss it. When its all said and done with you have the ones you like and wont get stuck with a two hundred dollar murcialago. HA.

kingpest13
2011.08.21, 03:55 AM
Oh btw, anybody want to buy a rare autoscale?

machgo5go
2011.08.21, 11:09 AM
Oh btw, anybody want to buy a rare autoscale?NO, if it does not work on the track competitively, not worth it.;)
Only joking, it's a hobby and there is crazy collectors will pay for it in whatever cost in such small market.

kingpest13
2011.08.21, 08:01 PM
I used to collect comics and I understand die hard collecting very well. But in the end I got burned for thousands because I payed too much and sold too little. This time I set out with the intention of offsetting the cost of the hobby. Sure there are some bodies I would love to have but I have other, more important responsibilities. So like most in the hobby I juggle my wants with my resources. I really want the older nsx's. if I didn't have a family to support I would be willing to pay the hundred or more dollars a nib g'zox or mugen costs. Totally. I get emotional about asc's. I want them all (except the p.t.cruisers:p) HA!

jude26
2011.09.10, 06:22 PM
I agree, its all about what people are willing to pay.

I bought a black murcielago on ebay for $40 back when it came out a few years ago and just sold it a couple of months ago for $275.00
Before that, the most profit I had ever made was a Speed Racer Mach 5 RTR set that I had bought for $60 and sold for $150.00

kyoshosan
2011.10.22, 06:07 PM
Wow! Speaking of that this WRC Lancia Stratos is going for over $200 on ebay!

Lancia Stratos (http://www.*******om/itm/220877820279?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649)

kyoshosan
2012.07.15, 07:48 PM
There is a guy asking $400 bucks for this overland body !!! WTH !?! :-)

KYOSHO-MINI-Z-TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-100-PARIS-DAKAR-RALLY-VERSION-NO-239-RARE (http://www.*******om/itm/KYOSHO-MINI-Z-TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-100-PARIS-DAKAR-RALLY-VERSION-NO-239-RARE-/200792572228?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item2ec02b8144)

mikedw
2012.07.15, 08:41 PM
Wow! What's crazier is that someone will buy it.
Cheers

arch2b
2012.07.15, 09:07 PM
well, doesn't mean anything really unless someone actually buys it. they can list it for $1 or $1000. it's only shocking if it sells.

kyoshosan
2013.07.30, 10:05 AM
New Audi R8 LMS Chrome 50th Anniv Lmt Edition is on eBay for +$200! :-0

See it here (http://www.*******om/itm/ASC-MA015-Audi-R8-LMS-50th-Anniversary-MZP419CS-mini-z-kyosho-/251312307099?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_V ehicles&hash=item3a83617b9b)

WorldClassZ
2013.07.30, 10:25 AM
New Audi R8 LMS Chrome 50th Anniv Lmt Edition is on eBay for +$200! :-0

See it here (http://www.*******om/itm/ASC-MA015-Audi-R8-LMS-50th-Anniversary-MZP419CS-mini-z-kyosho-/251312307099?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_V ehicles&hash=item3a83617b9b)

I saw that and I'm really hoping there will be some available for cheaper than that.

arch2b
2013.07.30, 12:38 PM
those are reported to arrive today or tomorrow.

WorldClassZ
2013.07.30, 12:42 PM
The big problem with expensive body prices is that it takes all the fun out of actually using them. :(

Felix2010
2013.07.31, 08:23 AM
well, doesn't mean anything really unless someone actually buys it. they can list it for $1 or $1000. it's only shocking if it sells.

My buddy and I dabble in sportscards.. And these days "collecting cards" it is not for the faint of heart... Arch, I say exactly what you did whenever someone says, "Did you see that XXXXX listed on ebay for $499.99? It only books for $50!". People have no qualm ripping the 'ish outta anyone they can.:(

A limited production ASC? Sure, that's something that could and defintely has appreciated in value. Those limited Audis, E G R had them (not anymore of course) for $60. That's about right to me(If not $10-15 too high). But of course all this hoopla about the R8 and how great a body it seems to have brought out the worst in people...

arch2b
2013.07.31, 10:05 AM
well, lets face the reality that it's capitalism plain and simple. you can't entirely fault ebay as it's sole purpose is to provide a venue for persons to purchase wanted goods for whatever they feel appropriate and willing to pay. its absurd to list a $70 autoscale for hundreds but at the same time, it's really only absurd if one actually pays hundreds. ebay is all about the going rate based on market conditions which is in part determined by; hype, desire, demand, etc. i do not fault someone putting a rare autoscale on ebay for $400 in the off chance it sells. they own the piece and are free to set the value they are willing to let it go. it's up to the buyer to determine if they agree.

i collect vintage toys as a hobby as well where there has and always will be a raging debate between scalping vs. resell for profit based on buyer willingness to pay. it's all really tied to personal opinions, ethics, morals, etc. which are not universal. i would not advise anyone to invest in autoscales :( thats dangerous :eek:

Felix2010
2013.07.31, 10:50 AM
well, lets face the reality that it's capitalism plain and simple. you can't entirely fault ebay as it's sole purpose is to provide a venue for persons to purchase wanted goods for whatever they feel appropriate and willing to pay. its absurd to list a $70 autoscale for hundreds but at the same time, it's really only absurd if one actually pays hundreds. ebay is all about the going rate based on market conditions which is in part determined by; hype, desire, demand, etc. i do not fault someone putting a rare autoscale on ebay for $400 in the off chance it sells. they own the piece and are free to set the value they are willing to let it go. it's up to the buyer to determine if they agree.

i collect vintage toys as a hobby as well where there has and always will be a raging debate between scalping vs. resell for profit based on buyer willingness to pay. it's all really tied to personal opinions, ethics, morals, etc. which are not universal. i would not advise anyone to invest in autoscales :( thats dangerous :eek:

Well said Arch, very true.. And I agree with Autoscales as volatile investments after seeing the rise and fall of prices regarding particular "Rare" Autoscales that Kyosho decided to re-release starting 6-7 years ago.

kyoshosan
2013.07.31, 11:47 AM
All true, and personally don't see eBay doing anything other than its original purpose. Selling autoscale these days it is a tough business :) and I find It interesting to see how much someone thinks an autoscale is worth and they list it for sale and even more intriguing is watching someone actually bid on that value :)

kyoshosan
2013.08.01, 03:47 PM
Well gents, the chrome r8 is sold :D WOW!

WorldClassZ
2013.08.01, 04:17 PM

I grabbed a pair of them from my fave fleabay source.

WorldClassZ
2013.08.01, 04:29 PM
There is a guy asking $400 bucks for this overland body !!! WTH !?! :-)

KYOSHO-MINI-Z-TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-100-PARIS-DAKAR-RALLY-VERSION-NO-239-RARE (http://www.*******om/itm/KYOSHO-MINI-Z-TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-100-PARIS-DAKAR-RALLY-VERSION-NO-239-RARE-/200792572228?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item2ec02b8144)

As an update: I've been seeking one of these bodies for a while now and recently turned my nose up at a mint one listed on fleabay for $100 starting bid plus shipping. Interestingly, there were no takers and the body went unsold.
Some time ago, I probably would have bid the $100 but the fact that I now have a few grand invested in Autoscales that sit in a box in the attic has cooled my collecting bug somewhat.
Truth is, I want to use the bodies, not keep them mint in plastic "show cases" but the high prices preclude them from being anything other than shelf queens.

I was wondering if the recent reissue of some bodies at a lower price was a sign of some sanity and recognition of the problem from Kyosho.

kyoshosan
2013.08.02, 09:32 AM
I was wondering if the recent reissue of some bodies at a lower price was a sign of some sanity and recognition of the problem from Kyosho.

That's a good question, but I'm afraid that it was merely a 50th anniversary promotion...

kyoshosan
2013.08.02, 09:37 AM
I grabbed a pair of them from my fave fleabay source.

at $49.80 it was quite a bargain :D

WorldClassZ
2013.08.02, 11:25 AM

Certainly better than the two hundred bucks some other vendor was looking for.

TheSteve
2013.08.02, 01:25 PM

I see an offer was accepted for it, so maybe he took $50 dollars. I suspect it was higher then that but hopefully not too close to the $200.00 asking price. According to the listing there are 1000 chrome R8s being made, my personal collection of them should arrive tuesday.
I do plan to race one, limited edition or not. It will be mounted on my primary 50th anniversary VE car.

WorldClassZ
2013.08.02, 02:05 PM
I do plan to race one, limited edition or not. It will be mounted on my primary 50th anniversary VE car.

The R8 body fits the MR03VE chassis? I thought it was MA010/015 only?:confused:

TheSteve
2013.08.02, 02:14 PM
The R8 body fits the MR03VE chassis? I thought it was MA010/015 only?:confused:

It fits just fine, better if you lower it a little in the rear. You just can't use the included wheels as they are awd only.

arch2b
2013.08.02, 02:51 PM
there is no such thing as chassis specific only until you get to 86mm bodies and 102/6mm bodies as the ma-015 has limitations on chassis length. otherwise, just change the wheels and you can run anything on anything. excluding monster, F1 and overland of course.

arch2b
2013.08.02, 02:51 PM
I see an offer was accepted for it, so maybe he took $50 dollars. I suspect it was higher then that but hopefully not too close to the $200.00 asking price. According to the listing there are 1000 chrome R8s being made, my personal collection of them should arrive tuesday.

be sure to share pictures :D

WorldClassZ
2013.08.02, 03:22 PM
there is no such thing as chassis specific only until you get to 86mm bodies and 102mm bodies as the ma-015 has limitations on chassis length. otherwise, just change the wheels and you can run anything on anything. excluding monster, F1 and overland of course.

Wow. Does this mean I can fit a Nissan Hakone Skyline body on a MA-010 chassis for a drift car? :eek::)

http://www.cmz31.net/Carrosseries/Nissan_Hakone_Skyline_Blue.jpg

arch2b
2013.08.02, 03:30 PM
i have no idea what wheelbase that is or what track width. most very narrow bodies will fit the AWD fine but tightly.

WorldClassZ
2013.08.02, 03:35 PM
I feel another project coming on.

optimaforever
2013.08.02, 04:38 PM
Wow. Does this mean I can fit a Nissan Hakone Skyline body on a MA-010 chassis for a drift car? :eek::)

http://www.cmz31.net/Carrosseries/Nissan_Hakone_Skyline_Blue.jpg

It's a RM90mm in narrow. you can check it on my blog. Just look for
SKYNET 077597 No.14 Shakotan Boogie Jun's Hakosuka blue.

optimaforever
2013.08.02, 04:40 PM
I was wondering if you bought 10 of the 50, Alex.
You can tell us, m8 :D

WorldClassZ
2013.08.02, 06:19 PM
It's a RM90mm in narrow. you can check it on my blog. Just look for
SKYNET 077597 No.14 Shakotan Boogie Jun's Hakosuka blue.

Thanks. Nice photos on your blog and I'm very jealous of you for owning the silver version.
I have wanted that one for ages.

new2miniz
2013.08.05, 08:32 PM
Heads up, chrome R8 available again on ebay if anyone's looking to add to their collection. I think it was around $50? Not $200. 😜

machgo5go
2013.08.07, 12:24 PM
Heads up, chrome R8 available again on ebay if anyone's looking to add to their collection. I think it was around $50? Not $200. 😜Kyosho Ameica just delivered few. Got it around Mid $50's so same price as any. If no one pick up the rest in few, I may pick up another on to heck it up for racing!;)

TheSteve
2013.08.07, 02:22 PM
be sure to share pictures :D

A day late, but they are here!
One will be raced on Sunday.

http://thesteve.ca/audi.jpg

arch2b
2013.08.07, 03:57 PM
can you post the weight? curious as to how that polished aluminum finish will affect handling.

lfisminiz
2013.08.07, 08:27 PM
Will the lap timers work with the chrome?

arch2b
2013.08.07, 08:38 PM
Possible with core. I lap and giro z should be fine. I've got on reserved from the shop here but not going to run it.

lfisminiz
2013.08.07, 09:46 PM
Thanks! I have one for shelf....so far.;)

TheSteve
2013.08.07, 11:11 PM
can you post the weight? curious as to how that polished aluminum finish will affect handling.

I've only opened one so far but it shows 36.6 grams. My regular red R8 is 33 grams. It does feel far stiffer then a regular R8 body and I can't help but wonder if it will turn out to be quite brittle.

It looks a million times better in person then any picture can capture.

arch2b
2013.08.08, 07:29 AM
i don't recall previous plated bodies being brittle. plastic has increasingly gotten thinner however and who knows, maybe it's a thinner plating? if the plating hasn't bonded correctly, it could flake off as well. the previous chrome plated bodies were very strong. i even had ebay chrome plated bodies that held up very well despite imperfections in the coating finish. cracking the plating is a risk you have to assume and accept if running it. with only a 1000 units globally, this is a small release comparatively to other limited editions of 2000 units.

cowboysir
2013.08.08, 10:47 AM
A day late, but they are here!
One will be raced on Sunday.

http://thesteve.ca/audi.jpg

Trying to distract the crew you race through?

Finally got my chrome paint so soon ill try and distract you!

TheSteve
2013.08.08, 11:41 AM
Trying to distract the crew you race through?

Finally got my chrome paint so soon ill try and distract you!

As if I need to distract people further, all my rambling on while racing is already plenty.
I have no idea how Kyosho gets the finish they do on these bodies but it is quite impressive.

TheSteve
2013.08.10, 12:36 AM
Did 100 laps with the aluminum finish R8 tonight on my AWD. The body looks absolutely amazing, its very stiff, it hugs the chassis.

But there is a problem. The body catches the light and you get bright flashes of light reflecting constantly. No way to tell the front from the back of the car while driving. Its all quite blinding. Its bordering on uncomfortable to watch and drive.
Yet its beautiful at the same time. Its really not a body to be raced but I gotta try it anyway.
The finish is better then most commercial mirrors sold in stores, its far from a cheap chrome job, its as I said before, amazing.

btw, for those wondering, its a real metal finish, it is very conductive!

machgo5go
2013.08.10, 01:09 AM
I've only opened one so far but it shows 36.6 grams. My regular red R8 is 33 grams. It does feel far stiffer then a regular R8 body and I can't help but wonder if it will turn out to be quite brittle.

It looks a million times better in person then any picture can capture.
Nice but we weight it at 37 grams which is way too heavy for our 50T spec motor series weekly club race. Our target is around 27 grams so back in the box it goes on top of my collection shelf in looking pretty!;)

arch2b
2013.08.10, 08:01 AM
Maybe try the clear spray (http://3mauto.com/paint-defender-spray-film.html) paint meant for removable protection of hoods, bumpers, etc. it has a slightly dull finish and meant to be removable.

machgo5go
2013.08.10, 10:02 PM
Heads up, chrome R8 available again on ebay if anyone's looking to add to their collection. I think it was around $50? Not $200. 😜
http://www.*******om/itm/ASC-MA015-Audi-R8-LMS-50th-Anniversary-MZP419CS-mini-z-kyosho-/261256783448?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_V ehicles&hash=item3cd41e2658
$200+ Idiot!