PDA

View Full Version : Where to start? Trusted Sellers

Tommy92l
2011.04.23, 07:05 PM
Hey guys, I recently discovered some Xmods in my basement and had a lot of fun messing with em. Parts were missing ,some went abnormally slow so and so on. I went online and noticed the Xmods trend has almost completely died out within the past 4 years of my absence but Mini Z is rolling strong.

I really have no idea where to start with buying. I really want (Just like my very first 2 xmods) the Nissan Skyline r33,34,32 (Whichever) or a toyota Supra. Honestly, I cannot find where to buy a "Ready Set" kit for either one of these. Not only that, I have no idea how these work. I'm totally fine with buying the body and then the chassis but I don't know which chassis to buy and which body will fit that.

Can someone help me out? Usually I'm not TOO foreign to RC cars but Mini-Z's have me confused.

Thanks in advance.

herman
2011.04.24, 10:43 PM
welcome to the forums...

this site has a shop... :D

so you could look and see what's available...
a couple of questions...

what do you want to get? 2wd (mr015, mr02, mr03) or 4wd (ma010 or ma015)?
if you want a chassis that ''fits all bodies'' get the mr03... it's kyosho's latest release with an adjustable front trackwidth enabling you to use mr02 or mr015 specific bodies...
if you want 4wd go for the ma010/015...

is price a factor? reason i ask... is that there's a mini-z marketplace forum/thread... that lists stuff up for sale... there are quite some good deals that could be found too...

next is 27am mhz or 2.4ghz?... most rtr kits come in 27am mhz... kyosho later offered their cars in 2.4ghz and a controller that you would have to buy... lots of improvement over the 27am mhz version...

their latest release however is a mr02 2.4ghz rtr kit that comes in two options, chassis set with controller (you can choose your own body - bought separately), or complete (chassis controller and body)... get this and you will be limited to mr02 bodies only... there is a way to modify the chassis to fit the mr015 bodies with third party option parts... but that's another story... :D

if there's a shop or track near you i would suggest trying them out for yourself to see what you like...

in the meantime you can read these forums or visit kyosho's official site...

hope this helps... :D

ChiMiniRc
2011.04.24, 10:44 PM
Hey guys, I recently discovered some Xmods in my basement and had a lot of fun messing with em. Parts were missing ,some went abnormally slow so and so on. I went online and noticed the Xmods trend has almost completely died out within the past 4 years of my absence but Mini Z is rolling strong.

I really have no idea where to start with buying. I really want (Just like my very first 2 xmods) the Nissan Skyline r33,34,32 (Whichever) or a toyota Supra. Honestly, I cannot find where to buy a "Ready Set" kit for either one of these. Not only that, I have no idea how these work. I'm totally fine with buying the body and then the chassis but I don't know which chassis to buy and which body will fit that.

Can someone help me out? Usually I'm not TOO foreign to RC cars but Mini-Z's have me confused.

Thanks in advance.

I've always thought this website had a nice selection of articles.
http://www.mini-z-guide.com/

To make it easy, I say first, you have to know if the body you want is narrow or wide. If it is a narrow body (like the skylines you want), you pretty much have to get a Mr-015 or Mr-03 chassis. The Mr-02 chassis fit only bodies that are wide (Like your Supra).

Are you racing? Most folks run the wider bodies and shy away from the mr-015 chassis. The Mr-03 is nice because it will work with narrow and wide bodies.

Mr-03 is a 2.4ghz car so you need a 2.4ghz transmitter like the Kt-18. Futaba and Spektrum 2.4ghz sytems are not compatible. A new kt-18 is about $80-$100. So going 2.4ghz is already upping your price point.

Do you plan on racing at any local clubs?
Are you looking for the best for racing or just something inexpensive you can drive around the house?