PDA

View Full Version : PN discharger

chad508
2011.04.25, 06:09 PM
i have a slightly used pn discharger that when batteries are installed the leds just flash for days on end. they batteries never seem to discharge. ive had other pn dischargers go bad but never steady flash normally they never flash. anyone else have this problem?

ChiMiniRc
2011.04.26, 12:49 PM
Just to add to this. The design looks simple enough as it's just a few resistors and diodes. I would think if the light always blinks, the diodes are delivering the power. If they never stop, the resistor could be shot so the only discharge you are getting is what little the LEDs pull off?

Just guessing.

On my end, I have 3 of these dischargers and 2 already have failing LEDs. The batteries still discharge but on one unit, I only get the blue color off of fully charged batteries on 2 of the 3 lights. Then after the top charge fades off, just 1 LED that will blink RED. Eventually they will fully discharge.

On another unit, the red lights no longer work. Just the blue color on fresh batteries and not for more than a few minutes (which is normal).

KA2AEV
2011.04.26, 04:39 PM
All a Discharger really is a resistor and the LED
If all of the LEDs are lighting up, they just may need additional time to discharge
If you really believe that you have a problem with your unit
Get a flashlight that uses AAA Batteries stick them in there and see
how long it takes for those to discharge
Its basically the same as you using the discharge unit
I think Dollar Stores sells LED flashlights that use 4 AAA for a buck!
Mike

chad508
2011.04.26, 05:06 PM
All a Discharger really is a resistor and the LED
If all of the LEDs are lighting up, they just may need additional time to discharge
If you really believe that you have a problem with your unit
Get a flashlight that uses AAA Batteries stick them in there and see
how long it takes for those to discharge
Its basically the same as you using the discharge unit
I think Dollar Stores sells LED flashlights that use 4 AAA for a buck!
Mike

trust me they never discharge i left a set in over night and still just flashing

KA2AEV
2011.04.26, 06:21 PM
trust me they never discharge i left a set in over night and still just flashing

WOW
Thats wierd
Do you have access to a multimeter?
If you do try opening it up and checking the resistors
Maybe you do have a blown resistor in it
You may also have a bad solder connection that could
be causing the trouble
Either way I would open it up and look for the obvious
(Anything burnt or broken!)
Keep us informed

chad508
2011.04.26, 09:01 PM
i did open it to check all the connections and all looks good. im unsure of what resistance values i should be getting so not sure if what im getting is any good. whats odd is this unit was only used a few times then put away do to me getting a muchmore unit. i sold that one and tried to use this one but have had no luck. i will probably send it back to pn our just mod it like other i have seen to discharge at 4 amps.

lfisminiz
2011.04.26, 09:08 PM
Contact Philip. Im sure he will take care of it.

KA2AEV
2011.04.26, 10:29 PM
I agree just contact them
I have heard alot of good things about their Customer Service

hrdrvr
2011.04.27, 08:36 AM
Ive had a couple of bad units. They were from the early runs (around the same time you bought yours probably), and I haven't had any more issues since Phillip replaced them for me. I don't know what he will do for a 2 year old unit, but is worth asking him. :D

bermbuster
2011.04.27, 08:58 AM
Ive had a couple of bad units. They were from the early runs (around the same time you bought yours probably), and I haven't had any more issues since Phillip replaced them for me. I don't know what he will do for a 2 year old unit, but is worth asking him. :D

A 2 year old unit with no use....:cool:
Good customer service means he "knows" about issues with the discharger and will make good. Let us know how you make out.

chad508
2011.04.27, 09:44 AM
this is one i got last summer to replace one of the first ones i had go bad. and think what you want but has not been used but a few times due to me buying the muchmore at the nj regional last year.

mleemor60
2011.04.27, 10:15 AM
Considering what you do for a living I would think that you would be able to read a resistor and then measure it. It's pretty basic electronics.

chad508
2011.04.27, 10:22 AM
no writing on the resistors. i may have to see about pulling apart one of landons if he will let me and see if his has any info on it. but honestly as cheap as a new one is i may just turn this one into a charging tray or mod into a better discharger.

Traveler
2011.04.27, 10:25 AM
No need. I have the innards I kept from one that went bad. Will check tonight and let you know.

chad508
2011.04.27, 10:33 AM
thanks marwan. what i find odd is that all the resistors would go at the same time if they are suspose to be seperate. but from looking at the traces that does not seem to be the case.

Traveler
2011.04.27, 11:39 AM
Haven't looked too closely at the traces to see how they run...

Traveler
2011.05.01, 08:18 PM
Sorry for the delay Chad. There are 4 resistors, and the number on them is 5WR5J. Hope this helps!

KA2AEV
2011.05.01, 08:21 PM
Do the resistors have any color bands on them?

Traveler
2011.05.01, 08:28 PM
I'm no electrician :o, so what I'm calling the resistors are the big white hunks of... ceramic? They don't have any bands on them. There are also 4 smaller cylindrical components on the board, black with a silver band. Not sure what these are. :confused:

KA2AEV
2011.05.01, 08:55 PM
They would be cylindrical maybe made of ceramics
Or maybe rectangular
You would see circle of colors around them completely
Might be between a half inch to maybe an inch long
with two wires coming out of them, one on each side
Im not too sure any other way to discribe them

KA2AEV
2011.05.01, 10:34 PM
Okay forget that last one
I dug out my discharge tray and opened it up
Unfortunatly I just realized that I took my multimeter in with me to work on Friday and its in my locker
If you can wait Chad I'll have the values for those resistors
for you tomorrow afternoon when I get off duty
They look like fairly common type that should be readily available
at electronics places (Maybe even RS)
Mike

chad508
2011.05.02, 08:01 AM
thanks for all the help guys

KA2AEV
2011.05.02, 04:54 PM
Chad those resistors are 5 Watt @ .5 ohm ( thats 1/2 ohm incase the decimal
doesn't come thru!)

I had a friend double check that part number also and he found that
my resistance readings were correct with the spec's
Open it up and just read across them and see what you come up with
one or more of them may have changed value for some reason!
Mike

chad508
2011.05.03, 06:15 PM
Thanks I will check them out tonight.