PDA

View Full Version : Help ~~ I can't drift in circle

koonyue
2011.04.28, 08:07 AM
Hi,

I got a AWD (orange chassis), bearing, red front spring (Kyosho), all others stock

When start in complete stop, I apply full steering and full throttle, it spin.

Then I reduce the steering slowing, and it start to drift in larger radius. However, it is NOT a circle, but an oval ... or even irregular

My question is, in order to maintain to drift in complete circle, do I need to have micro adjustment during drifting? If yes, what adj. (throttle / steering) do I need to apply?

or is it a car setup problem?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

color01
2011.04.28, 08:34 PM
No car will ever do perfect circular drifts on its own -- that's all up to you, the driver. :) If the car is willing to do elliptical drifts then your setup is already a lot better than most of ours! In fact, my cars all spin unless I countersteer and adjust the steering/throttle constantly.

Throw down something circular, like a plate or a frisbee, on the ground, and try to see how you can follow the line the most closely. The steering will be the most important one to figure out first; throttle comes later and mostly controls your speed, at least on the MA010.

koonyue
2011.04.29, 01:05 AM
If require constant adjustment using steering, say if the car drift too far from the center object, I should apply more steering towards the initial drift direction. However, i found the steering input can only be reflected on the car after a few seconds, and when it finally take effect, the car already drift too far from center

Is it normal? So i need to predict the drifting path and correct it before my eyes actually see the problem? ? It just seems too hard ~~

color01
2011.04.29, 01:12 AM
In that case then you need to slow down first -- letting go of the throttle will slow the car down and shift weight to the front, so you will see the effect of your steering input sooner.

But yes, you do need to be able to predict where the car will go, and that's why we always say that practice is the most important thing for drifting! The sooner you can predict that your car is about to leave the line, the sooner you can input more steering.

My personal preference for drifting setups is to have a one-way axle in the front, because that makes the car even more responsive to this weight-shifting technique. But a front one-way will make the car unstable at high speed (do not brake!) so there is a downside.

koonyue
2011.04.29, 02:14 AM
Thanks !

"In that case then you need to slow down first" <-- Does it still apply if I am on drifting?

One more question, right now I start by full throttle and full steering to make it drift, then reduce the steering to make it drift in larger radius.

If I place a plate at the center, during the start of the drift I need to make a larger radius. I have tried many times but cannot make the car drift in large radius from complete stop. It either just spin, or "change direction" instead of drifting ...

Any help would be appreciated

color01
2011.04.29, 04:20 PM
Absolutely! In an AWD car you hold the correct line by controlling steering angle and vehicle speed. The actual angle of the car is difficult to control because you have a front end and rear end pushing/pulling in different directions. The angle will be achieved if you have the right speed and steering inputs.

I should ask, are you using plastic or rubber tires? Drifting is much easier to practice with plastic tires. Your observation that wide-radius drifting is more difficult than spinning out suggests to me that you are using rubber tires. I would definitely use plastic tires if you are just starting out, you need some time to learn the reflexes needed to drift on rubber tires.

Let me know what else I can help you with. :)

moz
2011.04.29, 11:06 PM
My personal preference for drifting setups is to have a one-way axle in the front, because that makes the car even more responsive to this weight-shifting technique. But a front one-way will make the car unstable at high speed (do not brake!) so there is a downside.

how about front spool...what will happen,Is it to much steering?

koonyue
2011.04.30, 12:39 AM
I should ask, are you using plastic or rubber tires?

Yes, I already use hard plastic tires, so I think the problem is my skill ...

Lt me practice more and see if I have further questions, Thanks for yr help !

color01
2011.04.30, 08:49 AM
Front spool and gear diff don't behave much differently for Mini-Z, that's my personal opinion. I like to enter a drift off-throttle, that's how I think the drift looks more authentic, and so I opt for the front one-way (essentially an e-brake effect when lifting off the throttle).