PDA

View Full Version : 17mm motors?

thestug
2011.05.03, 04:54 PM
What is the advantage of the new round 17mm motors I have been seeing? I can't think of a reason why this would be better than a 130 size motor. Sorry, if this is the wrong place to post this.

EMU
2011.05.03, 05:22 PM
The motors are a bit lighter, and have a smoother torque curve than the larger 130 cans. The magnets are a bit larger than 130 magnets, and I think there is less air gap between the magnet and the rotor.

Rune
2011.05.03, 05:32 PM
I agree with EMU.
The larger magnets also provide good amounts of drag brake.

99jdmgsr
2011.05.03, 05:46 PM
Can they fit all the miniz chassis or just 02/03 an 015

EMU
2011.05.03, 09:54 PM
You need special adapters for the AWD... but the motors will only work with mounts that have screw holes as far as I know...

thestug
2011.05.03, 11:58 PM
The motors are a bit lighter, and have a smoother torque curve than the larger 130 cans. The magnets are a bit larger than 130 magnets, and I think there is less air gap between the magnet and the rotor.

Seems like it would be

geeunit1014
2011.05.04, 01:07 AM
What is the advantage of the new round 17mm motors I have been seeing? I can't think of a reason why this would be better than a 130 size motor. Sorry, if this is the wrong place to post this.

The motors have a much different feel than the PN motors. More bottom end, more linear.

I agree with EMU.
The larger magnets also provide good amounts of drag brake.
I actually feel like its the other way around. Although the magnets are bigger, I think the arm is lighter so it coasts more. I find myself having to dial in lots of - trim on the throttle to get the same drag brake feel as a PN motor

EMU
2011.05.04, 01:31 AM
I think the drag brake is a little better than say an X-Speed, PN50t, 33t or Z2/Chili... but not as much 130 ATM Stock, PN43/39t... I think that the magnets are larger, but not as strong as the Neo's in the 130 motors. Since the magnetic field covers more of the rotation that the armature is being drawn to, it gives a much more linear feel than the 130 with a higher power magnet that covers less of the motors rotation.

I havent used the 35t, only 40t and 48t, and I feel that the drag brake drops as you go to a lower wind. There are a few factors that determine drag brake. Comm size (larger more drag), armature mass (less mass more drag brake as there is less inertia to keep the motor spinning), magnetic field (stronger magnets, more drag brake). Bearings have less drag than bushings.

These motors are lighter than 130, but I dont know if that makes the armature lighter, or the can... I do want to disassemble one to weigh, but all of mine are in cars currently, and I dont want to remove them. I am curious if the armatures are the same as the 130 arms, or if they are smaller...

I do feel that the magnets are not as strong as some of the 130 magnets though. If I touch a AAA cell to the Chili, I can lift an MR03 LM car with Sauber body on it. I cannot lift an MR03 chassis with the same battery touching a 48t round can... so that clearly tells me that the magnets are not as strong. I am curious if ATM has any plans for higher power magnets? I would love some for the 40t or 35t... This would increase torque, as well as drag brake. I think stronger magnets could make these motors even better :) It would be a nice option at least...

Rune
2011.05.04, 04:26 AM
I have only used the T2+, and feel this gives a lot more drag brake than the PN32, 33 and Stock-R.

Not as much as the AR30.