PDA

View Full Version : PNWC2011 - U.S. Midwest

ChiMiniRc
2011.05.11, 09:27 PM
I just wanted to get a discussion started regarding a Midwest PN Regional.
The plan is to host it at RCX in Chicago on August 6, 2011. (http://www.rcx.com/event-info/)
I've been communicating with PN, RCP, and the RCX event people. Everyone is on board so it looks like we'll have our first PN event in the Midwest. I've been running the Chicago Mini R/C club (http://www.chiminirc.com) for a year now but I need some help for an event like this. Primarily a walk through on how the qualifiers and such are run.

How many classes should we run? The event goes from 10am-8pm.

The RCX folks would like a try me track. I have over 30 cars I can provide for this but don't know the best way to do this while sharing the track for the main event. I was thinking blocks of time throughout the day dedicated to "Try-Me" track time.

Traveler
2011.05.12, 09:02 AM
I've only raced in two PN regionals (SC and NJ), but am pretty sure you won't have time on the main track for "try me". You'll need a separate track that's out of the way.

ChiMiniRc
2011.05.12, 09:15 AM
I've only raced in two PN regionals (SC and NJ), but am pretty sure you won't have time on the main track for "try me". You'll need a separate track that's out of the way.

I was thinking if we limited it to two classes, then we would be fine. I'm reaching out to others that have hosted races to see if the posted schedules were able to be kept or if they tend to always run long. The last worlds in Florida looked like it moved along at a good pace.

chad508
2011.05.12, 09:30 AM
ive been to and helped out at several regionals and the worlds last year in mb. if you have someone dedicated to run the event they will be able to keep to the schedule you will be fine. i would do a seperate track for rentals as everyone at the event is going to want all the time they can get on the track for tuning no one just wants to sit around and wait when time is limited. and the worst thing to do is put some one on the track who has never ran before and it cause someone to break something before a run. i have seen it happen and it makes for an unhappy out of towner.

ChiMiniRc
2011.05.12, 09:32 AM
ive been to and helped out at several regionals and the worlds last year in mb. if you have someone run the event and is able to keep to the schedule you will be fine. i would do a seperate track from rentals as everyone at the event is going to want all the time they can get on the track for tuning no one just wants to sit around and wait when time is limited. and the worst thing to do is put some one on the track who has never ran before and it cause someone to break something before a run. i have seen it happen and it makes for an unhappy out of towner.

I wouldn't mix the "try-me" with the open or controlled practice. I was hoping that by limiting it to 2 classes, we'd be fine. So far the strong feedback is a seperate track.

Traveler
2011.05.12, 09:33 AM
Its inconceivable to me, and I'm sure others that have "run" such events will agree. ;)

ChiMiniRc
2011.05.12, 09:39 AM
Its inconceivable to me, and I'm sure others that have "run" such events will agree. ;)

I would say it's clear that a try-me track on the same PN track is out.
Now I need to understand how much manpower I should expect. One thing I don't have any experience with is calling races. So I'll need someone to step in there. From the last worlds, it appears one "director" person to call out the time slots and keep people on schedule.

Does the "Tech" person keep busy? With inspecting cars and motor handouts?

chad508
2011.05.12, 10:30 AM
yes the tech person keeps pretty steady. with the qualys and mains being on top of one another that person doesnt stop. i would say you need atleast 3 dedicated people to run the event smooth. one to run the computer one to tech and one to float around. the floater can help with computer problems, call the race and help get heats posted and racers going. as far as calling the race its an art that only a few are great at. most races just have someone call the running order and estimated times periodically. if you have someone that can keep up with whats going on on the track it makes it interesting for the spectators but its not needed.

chad508
2011.05.12, 10:33 AM
now if you do not exspect a huge turn out then 2 people running the race will be fine.

EMU
2011.05.12, 11:42 AM
One thing to also take in mind, is that these events (RCX) will have a lot of interference, so running a try-me track at the same time as qualify/mains, may increase glitching...

Not knowing the schedule for RCX, whether it will be a two day race, or a one day race, its hard to give advice. In general, a regional layout is rather large and high speed for people that havent raced RC. Obviously, at RCX, many of the people would have driven RC before, so they wont be new to that aspect, and I would expect many to be able to drive such a layout. The question is, would people be willing to wait or come back to try the rentals on the race track at a time that it is not being used for the PNWC event.

Ideally a separate smaller track would be required, and limiting the amount of cars used at one time, especially considering what may be going on with the regional track... At some events, where it is just a regional, there are some glitching issues, and that is without the added interference of the electronics that are at RCX. The second track could also double as a test/setup track for racers to see what the adjustments they made with their cars for the regional, without having to wait for a specific practice session, or if there is no practice session before their race. This has been done at a few races, where the test track was not a try-me track, but simply there for racers to test their car, and it worked out very well.

I would recommend running no more than one class that has full tech (motor/body inspection). This will take considerably more time than classes that are more open. Tech may require two people if there are more classes that require full tech.

As far as announcing, the racers care most about the data. Position, laptimes, pace, gap... but at an event like this, you do want to draw a crowd of spectators, and a good announcer (Joe Chen, Alex Valdez to name a couple) can really do that. As they announce, they explain a little about the cars, as well as what is going on on the track and computer. It is truly an art form. I suggest watching a few ETS 1/10 scale race video's on RedRCLive on youtube. He is a great announcer, and on top in that category.

ChiMiniRc
2011.05.12, 12:03 PM
One thing to also take in mind, is that these events (RCX) will have a lot of interference, so running a try-me track at the same time as qualify/mains, may increase glitching...

There is also going to be a dNaNo track there hosted by our LHS, Al's Hobby Shop. This will be a try me track so perhaps it would be best to locate them near each other so people can walk over and try mini size racing. This does also mean there will be extra KT-18's on the floor. I'm pretty sure we'll limit it to 6 dNaNos racing at any one time.

Specific to interferance? Are you talking about AM? Or with 2.4ghz are there issues? I've read about binding issues at events in the past.