PDA

View Full Version : My Very First Mini Z...A Few Questions?

Starsky5000
2011.05.15, 03:11 PM
Hello everyone this is my first post ever over here at minizracer.com. I just recently bought my very first Mini Z. I bought the MR-03 Chassis Set JSCC CUP Edition. Here it is:

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=106539

It's a very beautiful chassis. Once my Route246 RML Aluminum Motor Mount and my PERFEX EX-5UR Radio gets here then I'll be truly happy.

But in the mean time I need your help.

What kind and weight of shock oil do I need for the rear oil shock? I'll be running on low pile carpet.

Also what tools do I need to maintain or repair this car? Also what's the best brand of tools do you recommend.

Thank You All,
Starsky

Christopher Rc
2011.05.15, 03:50 PM
i would use cst560 oil in the kyosho oil-shock

if you buy this Atomic screw-driver, you should have everything you need to maintain/repair your car ;) http://www.egrracing.com/shop/miniz-multi-tool-kit-blue-p-1038.html

Starsky5000
2011.05.15, 04:46 PM
Thank You. But i notice some set screws on the rear axle. What size and size tool would remove these?

blt456
2011.05.15, 05:07 PM
The left differential hub has a 1.5mm set screw to lock it down to the shaft.

I used the atomic multi tool but sometimes it wouldn't stay in place, just spin freely. I would recommend getting the new PN racing tools. The ones you would need are the 1.5mm hex driver, 4.5mm driver (wheel nuts) and the phillips driver.

Starsky5000
2011.05.15, 05:23 PM
Thanx. This kinda threw me off thinking I need to buy a .9 mm allen key to open that set screw on the rear axle:

http://www.blogtrp.com/tools-for-the-miniz-by-pn-racing/

I have a 1.5 mm hex driver. I do need a 4.5 mm nutdriver though.

Thank You All for your help.

mini-z
2011.05.15, 06:49 PM
The left differential hub has a 1.5mm set screw to lock it down to the shaft.

I used the atomic multi tool but sometimes it wouldn't stay in place, just spin freely. I would recommend getting the new PN racing tools. The ones you would need are the 1.5mm hex driver, 4.5mm driver (wheel nuts) and the phillips driver.

Agreed - the Atomic is a nice all-in one, but I would really recommend the new PN Pro Drivers - which FYI we have all of In Stock in the Shop! :)

arch2b
2011.05.15, 07:13 PM
plus you can't find the atomic tool anymore.

blt456
2011.05.15, 07:42 PM
If I can make one last recommendation...
Buy the appropriate PN Racing titanium screws. Most will be the tapping version (for plastic) because they have a hex head. I've used the same ones for 6 months and I constantly unscrew them for gear mesh (just needed replacing). The hex heads last so much longer than the normal screws (won't strip easy!), plus you get 10 to a package. It's easier to get the hex head screws out of a car versus the phillips scews.

Starsky5000
2011.05.15, 08:09 PM
About PN Racing's Titanium Hex Screws. What size hex driver do I need to use on them?

Did you replace all your screws with the titanium ones?

Are all the titanium screws the same size?

Also do they make alot of difference in weight of the car?

Here is a link to the screws, but they are so many choices. Which one is the right one?

http://www.kenonhobby.com/Chassis-Ass-Parts_c_195-3-4.html

arch2b
2011.05.15, 09:04 PM
for me anyway, it's not about the weight but durability and ease of use. they do not strip like the cheap aluminum phillips screws and are generally easier to work with. if you have the money, well worth the upgrade if you plan on wrenching on your car. they aren't cheap though.

blt456
2011.05.15, 10:11 PM
They come in different lengths in increments of 2mm. They still use a 1.5mm hex head. part numbers are below:

1x 700634
1x 700636

You will still need to use the 2 countersunk stock screws under the top cover. You probably won't undo these that often anyway, so it won't hurt. Those two should cover a whole car worth of screws, with some 4mm left over.

If you get an aftermarket motor mount with machine threads, you will also need

Starsky5000
2011.05.16, 02:06 PM
I just got a Kyosho Mini-Z MR03 Under Floor Reinforcement:

http://www.kenonhobby.com/Kyosho-Mini-Z-MR03-Under-Floor-Reinforcement_p_43975.html

Will any of these titanium screws replace the screws that the under floor reinforcement came with???

Thank You.

Starsky5000
2011.05.30, 07:01 PM
If I can make one last recommendation...
Buy the appropriate PN Racing titanium screws. Most will be the tapping version (for plastic) because they have a hex head. I've used the same ones for 6 months and I constantly unscrew them for gear mesh (just needed replacing). The hex heads last so much longer than the normal screws (won't strip easy!), plus you get 10 to a package. It's easier to get the hex head screws out of a car versus the phillips scews.

Does the PN Racing titanium screws have the same threads as the stock screws that came with the Mini Z?

Christopher Rc
2011.05.31, 03:24 AM
Does the PN Racing titanium screws have the same threads as the stock screws that came with the Mini Z?

No, they are not the same. but you can still use them wehere you have used the stock screws.
just make shure to not over-tighten the screw.

180SX SR20
2011.05.31, 11:32 PM
I just got a Kyosho Mini-Z MR03 Under Floor Reinforcement:

http://www.kenonhobby.com/Kyosho-Mini-Z-MR03-Under-Floor-Reinforcement_p_43975.html

Will any of these titanium screws replace the screws that the under floor reinforcement came with???

Thank You.

Just out of curiousity, what plans do you have for your First Mini-Z? Are you going to race, HFAY, just with friends/fun or a real nice show car/chassis?

Starsky5000
2011.06.01, 03:14 AM
Just out of curiousity, what plans do you have for your First Mini-Z? Are you going to race, HFAY, just with friends/fun or a real nice show car/chassis?

All 3 actually. I plan to race if I can find a track in the bronx, new york. I plan to have fun by myself and also as a show car.