PDA

View Full Version : F1s on slot track

West.F1
2002.07.26, 08:19 AM
lately the LHS has been allowing me to run my F1 on their slot car track and have to say is an awesome experience. i prefer the carpet but this adds a little extra to the realism factor.

one concern i have with the slot track however is that it seems the 25 rated slicks don't have the grip i expected on the rubber coating which results in some understeer. i'm thinking of ordering a set of kyosho 20s from the Shop but not sure how much this will help with grip.

i've been informed that 'natural rubber' tires commonly used on slot cars provides the ideal grip level needed for these sorts of tracks.

anyone else have the same experience?

Supra66
2002.07.26, 10:13 AM
I ran my McLaren (stock with BB) on my 4 lanes Ninco slot car tracks. With the stock 50 tires it ran just fine as it did on carpet. I think this is due to the fact that Ninco tracks surface are coarser than other brands such as Scalextric or Carrera. However, the car still has the tendency to spin out when you gun it too much out of the apex.
What type of track are you running on at your LHS? If it is a commercial routed track, then I am surprise to hear that 25 deg tires didn’t fare well. IMO I don’t think tires carry as much weight as a performance tuning aid in slot car as they are in RC. If you were to put a pin under the f1, it will handle just as well as any slot cars with those “natural rubber” or silicon tires. In fact, I did that on my Mini-z CLK as a test. I mounted aluminum tubing under the front body mount and ran it on the slot car track. No doubt you can take the turn at a higher speed but the driving sensation is just not the same.
I am thinking about writing to Ninco to see if they can special produce a batch of tracks without the slot. If it were at all feasible, it would bring in home Mini-z F1 racing to a new level for now you can easily configure the track type and length, add borders and guide rails, create realistic chicane, hairpin and parabolic turns. It is unlikely they would agree to such a proposal but you will never know until you ask.

Have fun racing!

Rick
2002.07.26, 11:55 AM
I race my F1 at my LHS slot car track. I run Tamiya Mini-4WD foams in the back and last week I switched to foams in the front, too. It was really terrible. I had gotten used to not having any front traction that I finished dead last. Before the foams, I had 40° ribbers (ribbed rubbers) and it was a whole lots worse than the foams.

West.F1
2002.07.26, 12:50 PM
i'll have to ask next time i go up who made the track. overall it's good to run on. there's just a touch of sliding when entering an apex but haven't had any spinouts. maybe i'm just braking too late but slowing down does help

it's definately a challenge not to hit anything and staying on course especially where it's banked kinda steep.

mini-z
2002.07.26, 05:29 PM
West.F1, are you using Kyosho ribbed, or Team Kyosho slicks?

West.F1
2002.07.26, 06:47 PM
i'm using 25 deg slicks in the rear and what were 30 deg ribbed in front. the carpet track wore off the ribs so the fronts are essentally slicks now. strangely it's the softer rear wheels that tends to slide out on me.