PDA

View Full Version : Atomic metal pinion problem?

thestug
2011.05.23, 11:57 AM
I have been having problems with my new metal pinions. All the gears have a spot where it locks and wond turn. All of the pinions seem to have an invisible burr or something. How do I correct this so my gears dont lock up?

Edit: Actually, I noticed that the outside of the pinion (the side furthest from the motor) might be larger than than the inside. If it turn the gears without the pinion set screw. the gear tends to slide off the motor. Could this mean that the gears might be slightly beveled so you can adjust the mesh? Is it bad to run the pinion not perfectly in line withthe gears(meaning forward or back a bit). The gears turn Ok if the gears are offset a little.

thestug
2011.05.23, 12:55 PM
Thinking about getting new pinions. I really can't figure out whats going on. It turns fine except at the one tooth on the pinion. Does kyosho make a alloy pinion? How are the PN hard coated pinions?

thestug
2011.05.23, 02:03 PM
Never mind I resolved the issue. The set screw stick out of the gear just a little bit and catches on the chassis. All it took was about 2 minutes with a file. Runs fine now. ;)

EMU
2011.05.23, 04:17 PM
I was about to mention the set screw :P Glad you figured it out. Some pinions have that issue, some dont.

thestug
2011.05.23, 04:41 PM
I was about to mention the set screw :P Glad you figured it out. Some pinions have that issue, some dont.

I can't believe it took me like 2 hours to figure this out. I just put my mini-z awd back together with some alloy, 24.ghz, sanded pressure plates and carbon ceramic balls. It is a fast, smooth beast now. Is the reverse supposed to be slower on the 2.4 boards vs. an AM? Another question, I though the AWD 2.4 board had a reverse delay. Why does reverse kick in anytime the wheels lock up. I dont have to come to a complete stop before reversing.

EMU
2011.05.23, 05:03 PM
Do you have to double tap the fwd to get going? You should have to double tap to engage the reverse... if you have to double tap fwd to go, then your motor wires are reversed, and the transmitter throttle channel is reversed... There is a reverse delay on the AWD 2.4ghz board, but with a proper trim setting, its not very noticeable.

thestug
2011.05.23, 08:38 PM
This sounds exactly like my problem. I was wondering why I had to have my red wire on the negative terminal to go forward. lol. I will switch the wires and transmitter tomorrow. Always a new project with the z's.