PDA

View Full Version : Steering servo turns faster to the left

Bodom
2011.06.04, 03:18 AM
I have a problem with my MA-010 (AM car) that I cannot solve.
The steering servo turns much faster to the left than to the right.
I am using Atomic derlin servo gears. Last time I disassembled the whole servo trying to figure out what is wrong and found nothing. I was looking for something binding or grinding.
Although after putting back everything the problem was reduced greatly. It was almost even turn speeds. Now the problem is back.

This is how my old servo gears look like:
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/Bodom_photos/Mini-Z/P1090003.jpg

Any suggestions?

herman
2011.06.04, 06:30 AM
kinda looks a bit dirty... clean them out...

probably another thing to look for is possible rubbing against some of the plastic surrounding the gears... i remember reading a tip of using a dremel to smoothen out some material that seems a bit suspect...

and one other thing might be the pot or servo motor... you can try cleaning out your pot, if that doesn't work, try switching it out, if that doesn't work, you can try replacing your servo motor...

that's all i can think of at the moment... maybe others can pitch in... how long have you had it?

Bodom
2011.06.04, 11:42 AM
Thanks herman.
The car is 3 years old and I am first owner.
The picture above is of my OLD servo gears. I tried cleaning them out but I couldn't.
This is why I recently changed them with brand new Atomic derlin gears.
I'll disassemble it again and will look more careful..

edit:
I've just finished examining it again.. and found nothing particular :(
The servo acts this way even outside the chassis..
So it is not rubbing of the servo saver arm against the case cover or the steering mechanism.
The servo motor sounds a bit different when turning one way and the other (external power supply applied directly to the servo motor, while the motor is outside the servo). But strangely it sounds worse when turning to the direction which the servo works faster..
The servo gears spin freely both ways when the servo motor and the pot are taken outside.
As far as I could tell the problem is in the motor or the pot...

Anyways, I am thinking of upgrading the electronics to 2.4GHz.. I hope this will solve the problem..

MiamizFinest
2011.06.21, 01:51 AM
Thanks herman.
The car is 3 years old and I am first owner.
The picture above is of my OLD servo gears. I tried cleaning them out but I couldn't.
This is why I recently changed them with brand new Atomic derlin gears.
I'll disassemble it again and will look more careful..

edit:
I've just finished examining it again.. and found nothing particular :(
The servo acts this way even outside the chassis..
So it is not rubbing of the servo saver arm against the case cover or the steering mechanism.
The servo motor sounds a bit different when turning one way and the other (external power supply applied directly to the servo motor, while the motor is outside the servo). But strangely it sounds worse when turning to the direction which the servo works faster..
The servo gears spin freely both ways when the servo motor and the pot are taken outside.
As far as I could tell the problem is in the motor or the pot...

Anyways, I am thinking of upgrading the electronics to 2.4GHz.. I hope this will solve the problem..

Maybe a dum question?? could it be the bushes in the servo are worn out after 3 years of use?? have u tried slapping on a diffren't servo motor to the esc? just a thought?

Bodom
2011.06.21, 05:43 AM
Maybe a dum question?? could it be the bushes in the servo are worn out after 3 years of use?? have u tried slapping on a diffren't servo motor to the esc? just a thought?

By "bushes" you mean the motor bushings ?
No, I didn't tried different servo motor as I haven't got one.

Scrapper
2011.06.21, 10:26 AM
Am uses fets for steering Check that the fets are clean and in good shape no protrusions or bumps

MiamizFinest
2011.06.22, 11:23 PM
By "bushes" you mean the motor bushings ?
No, I didn't tried different servo motor as I haven't got one.

Yes bushes was a typo, yes I ment the brushes inside the servo motor try to get a hold of another servo motor maybe a friend at the local track has a spare motor he can let you test maybe??

Bodom
2011.08.01, 01:43 PM
Thank you all!
I'll probably never find out what was the problem.. My vote is for the servo motor..

But I got these:
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/Bodom_photos/Mini-Z/MA-010/2011-07-29142333.jpg

And I mounted it like this:
http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq194/Bodom_photos/Mini-Z/MA-010/P1120853.jpg

And all problems are gone :D