PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wanting to start

jona1986129
2011.06.05, 07:58 PM
Hi, I am from Melbourne Australia and have been doing some research on Mini-z for the past few days. So just before I go ahead in purchasing, I wanna ask a few questions, please help.

1. What would be more suitable for a newbie? AWD or FR?

2. So do you guys recommend MA-010 chasis or MR-03?

3. Which chasis has more body set available to them? MR-03 or MA-010?

4. Do you guys recommend to buy a readyset or buy a chasis set + a KT-18?

5. Could the KT-18 be used on both MR-03 and MA-010 chasis? If so, does it mean I only need 1 transmitter? How about the transmitter in a MA-010 readyset? Can it be used on a MR-03 as well?

6. Is there a FairladyZ 34 or 370z body available to the mini-z? If so, what chasis is it made for?

7. Any other recommendations for a newbie? What to get? Where to start?

A million thanks!

jona1986129
2011.06.05, 08:02 PM
Oh one more thing, can those auto scales be used on chasis?

color01
2011.06.05, 09:13 PM
Let's see if I can answer all your questions... :)

Firstly, Autoscale bodies are by definition intended to fit on Mini-Z chassis. That's how they're made, haha.

1. MR-series (2WD) are definitely more newbie-friendly, in my opinion. They're much simpler to build, simpler and cheaper to maintain, and a little more versatile for driving on different surfaces.

2. MR02, actually, is the one that I would recommend for beginners. The MR03 is a little more delicate than I would recommend for someone who's just starting out I think, meanwhile the MR02 is built like a tank and will survive a lot more abuse.

3. MR03 will fit literally any Autoscale body with the proper configuration. The MA010 is a little more limited, it cannot do an 86mm wheelbase and some bodies are too low-slung to fit properly on the MA010 chassis without modifications (Pan Car bodies, Mosler, Enzo/FXX, etc.).

4. If you buy the MR02EX readyset, you'll get a chassis and a controller for an even better deal! In general, the KT-18 is a good "feeler" transmitter, to figure out if you want to stay in the Mini-Z hobby for good. If you get more serious about it in the future you'll eventually upgrade to a transmitter with more features/quicker response, so you might want to consider that as well. Let us know if you'd like more info on the other transmitter options. :)

5. The KT-18 is compatible with both the MA010 and the MR03 (ASF MA010 versions only though) electronics packages. For that matter, it's also compatible with the ASF MR02, because it has the same electronics as the MA010 with only minor differences. One KT-18 will handle as many ASF Mini-Z's as you throw at it, you just need to bind them all to that one KT-18.

6. Kyosho has not released a Z34 body yet unfortunately, but if you diehard must have one, you can buy an Xmods R/C 370Z and convert the body to fit on a Mini-Z. It's a bit involved though.

7. MR02. :) By far the easiest chassis to understand and get running properly, and it doesn't really lose out compared to the MR03 until you're driving at World-championship levels. At my local track we still switch off between MR02's and MR03's almost evenly, and that's impressive considering how simple and old the MR02 chassis is. ;)

jona1986129
2011.06.05, 09:29 PM
Let's see if I can answer all your questions... :)

Firstly, Autoscale bodies are by definition intended to fit on Mini-Z chassis. That's how they're made, haha.

1. MR-series (2WD) are definitely more newbie-friendly, in my opinion. They're much simpler to build, simpler and cheaper to maintain, and a little more versatile for driving on different surfaces.

2. MR02, actually, is the one that I would recommend for beginners. The MR03 is a little more delicate than I would recommend for someone who's just starting out I think, meanwhile the MR02 is built like a tank and will survive a lot more abuse.

3. MR03 will fit literally any Autoscale body with the proper configuration. The MA010 is a little more limited, it cannot do an 86mm wheelbase and some bodies are too low-slung to fit properly on the MA010 chassis without modifications (Pan Car bodies, Mosler, Enzo/FXX, etc.).

4. If you buy the MR02EX readyset, you'll get a chassis and a controller for an even better deal! In general, the KT-18 is a good "feeler" transmitter, to figure out if you want to stay in the Mini-Z hobby for good. If you get more serious about it in the future you'll eventually upgrade to a transmitter with more features/quicker response, so you might want to consider that as well. Let us know if you'd like more info on the other transmitter options. :)

5. The KT-18 is compatible with both the MA010 and the MR03 (ASF MA010 versions only though) electronics packages. For that matter, it's also compatible with the ASF MR02, because it has the same electronics as the MA010 with only minor differences. One KT-18 will handle as many ASF Mini-Z's as you throw at it, you just need to bind them all to that one KT-18.

6. Kyosho has not released a Z34 body yet unfortunately, but if you diehard must have one, you can buy an Xmods R/C 370Z and convert the body to fit on a Mini-Z. It's a bit involved though.

7. MR02. :) By far the easiest chassis to understand and get running properly, and it doesn't really lose out compared to the MR03 until you're driving at World-championship levels. At my local track we still switch off between MR02's and MR03's almost evenly, and that's impressive considering how simple and old the MR02 chassis is. ;)

Thanks HEAPS!! Thats a lot of help you made :)

So one thing I am not quite getting it, for the transmitter in the readyset, is it going to be compatible with other chasis as well like the KT-18 does? If so, it sounds like a good deal. If not I think I might be better off getting a chasis set + a KT-18 to start off with because I am almost certain that I am going to try both 2WD and 4WD in the future.

jona1986129
2011.06.05, 09:36 PM
oh and one more thing. I have read in other threads and noticed people talking about drifting. Is MA-010 the only chasis that is drift-able? And is being able to drift a big deal at all?

bermbuster
2011.06.05, 09:47 PM
You want to get the new release ASF readyset a kt18 tx with an asf mr-02.

jona1986129
2011.06.05, 09:59 PM
You want to get the new release ASF readyset a kt18 tx with an asf mr-02.

I dont seem to be able to find one of those on ebay...

jona1986129
2011.06.06, 12:24 AM
so i have found some readyset for MR-02 on this site's online shop. Seems to be a pretty good deal. So I should go ahead?

Anyone had experience with USPS first class mail international? Is it quick?

thestug
2011.06.06, 09:57 AM
oh and one more thing. I have read in other threads and noticed people talking about drifting. Is MA-010 the only chasis that is drift-able? And is being able to drift a big deal at all?

Yes the AWD is the only driftable chassis. It is possible with the RWD chassis ,but extremely difficult and requires a gyro.

Mr-03 drifting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5sOSf9DRyQ
AWD drifting
http://www.youtube.com/user/ZenislevZ#p/u/17/9YMAeABnk_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6AFVaMTzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53tC42oBhBU

setting up a AWD for drift is pretty cheap and easy. Drift AWD are pretty indestructable because of the low speeds. Enjoy!