PDA

View Full Version : Diff help?

thestug
2011.06.06, 11:41 AM
My awd runs the 3racing front and rear boxes that are open so you can see the diffs easily. The problem is my atomic ball diff, gets dirty and gets "gritty" after only a few minutes requring cleaning to get them smooth again. They also loosen up during a run. I'm wondering if there is a way to seal the rear diff like the front, which has no problems or a different kind of diff. Are the kyosho diffs pretty much sealed?

EMU
2011.06.06, 12:17 PM
You can put some packing tape over the bottom of the rear gear box, to prevent as much dirt from coming in to the gear box...

thestug
2011.06.06, 12:34 PM
You can put some packing tape over the bottom of the rear gear box, to prevent as much dirt from coming in to the gear box...

I have tried and it helps somewhat, but the dirt and junkstill gets in throught the hole where the gear on the diff meshes with the center gear. I'm running 98mm so this gap is pretty big and akward, thus hard to seal with tape.

thestug
2011.07.14, 11:41 PM
I have tried and it helps somewhat, but the dirt and junkstill gets in throught the hole where the gear on the diff meshes with the center gear. I'm running 98mm so this gap is pretty big and akward, thus hard to seal with tape.

OK, I built a custom dust cover out of a flat piece of plastic. It keeps about 95% of the unwanted crap out of the rear diff. It utilizes the existing screws to mount the plastic cover. I can take pictures the cover and post them here if anyone is interested.

Bodom
2011.07.15, 04:51 AM
OK, I built a custom dust cover out of a flat piece of plastic. It keeps about 95% of the unwanted crap out of the rear diff. It utilizes the existing screws to mount the plastic cover. I can take pictures the cover and post them here if anyone is interested.

I would like to see your custom dustcover.

thestug
2011.07.18, 01:37 PM

Ok, will try to post some pictures up soon. I built my dust cover for the 3racing carbon fiber rear end, but my idea could be adapted to work with just about any rear with screw holes for the bumper. Now I just need to find some batteries for my camera. I wish I kept more AA batteries around. It seems that all the batteries I have are AAA rechargables. :)

thestug
2011.07.18, 02:52 PM

OK, here are pictures of the dust cover for the rear diff. It is made of thin plastic from a blister package. I cut out a strip wide enough to cover the width of the holes, drilled 2 holes so I could mount the piece to the chassis. Then I creased the plastic at certain spots to prevent it from curling away, so It sits tight up agaist the holes. Trim the excess plasic from your strip. Drill 2 more holes for mounting the other side on the bumper holes. Finally drill a hole for the gear to go through.

I think mine turned out pretty good. It does make the bottom of the car a bit thicker, but the 3racing rear end that I use is pretty flat. It was definitely worth a few minutes to design one. This is the 3rd version of my dust cover. The first one was tape on the bottom to cover the hole but it still let dust into the front of the diff where the gear meshes with the diff. The 2nd was laminated electrical tape and a rubber band tension system. This worked pretty well but was a PITA to take on and off. Hope this helps anyone who has had problems with stuff getting onto their diffs.

Bodom
2011.07.18, 03:23 PM
Thanks for sharing!
It is pretty clever idea.:cool:

thestug
2011.07.18, 03:45 PM
Thanks for sharing!
It is pretty clever idea.:cool:

Thanks. I didn't want to go back to using my plastic parts. Yay, for carbon fiber. :)