PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need to Glue the Tires to the Wheels?

Starsky5000
2011.06.18, 09:43 AM
I am running Kyosho 30 High Grip Tires up front and Wide in the Rear.

Do I need to glue the tires to the wheels?

I am using Kyosho R246 Rays aluminum wheels.

I am running on low pile carpet.

I bought Kyosho glue tire tape for the front and rear tires so I just wanna know if it's important I glue them or just slip on the tires on wheels and i'll be okay.

I'm new to the mini z's so I don't really know what to do? Glue or no glue?

briankstan
2011.06.18, 10:01 AM
use the 2-sided tape. the softer the front tire the more prone they are to coming off.

cowboysir
2011.06.18, 10:02 AM
It kind of depends on how serious you want to be. Sometimes on racing surfaces you can suffer from traction rolling due to the front wheels peeling during cornering, even with tire tape securing the tire to rim.

If you are competitive, it is a performance gain to glue the tires. Check out reflex racing website for a great tutorial on doing tires for racing.

The great thing about alloy rims is that you can remove glued tires without ruining the rim...just an extended soak in hot (almost boiling in some cases) water can loosen the glue to help remove the worn tire.

Good luck with it.;)

Starsky5000
2011.06.18, 10:08 AM
It kind of depends on how serious you want to be. Sometimes on racing surfaces you can suffer from traction rolling due to the front wheels peeling during cornering, even with tire tape securing the tire to rim.

If you are competitive, it is a performance gain to glue the tires. Check out reflex racing website for a great tutorial on doing tires for racing.

The great thing about alloy rims is that you can remove glued tires without ruining the rim...just an extended soak in hot (almost boiling in some cases) water can loosen the glue to help remove the worn tire.

Good luck with it.;)

Thank You All. CowboySir can you please give me the link to the tutorial on the reflex racing website on doing tires for racing.

Thank You.

blt456
2011.06.18, 10:12 AM
I drove a miniz awd on ozite carpet and I didn't glue my tires (kyosho 20/30). I know that Atomic tires are designed for carpet use, why not try those? You will have to glue the sidewalls to the rim since they can slip right off, even with kyosho tire tape.

Mike Keely
2011.06.18, 10:19 AM
Here you go.

http://www.reflexracing.net/tire_mounting.asp

I use Krazy Glue that comes with a brush in the bottle. It is much easier to use then the squeeze bottle. K-Mart has it.

The only bad thing when using the metal wheels is the weight is much more then the plastic wheels. The car will accelerate faster and slow down faster going into corners using the plastic rims. My 2 cents. Hope this helps.

Starsky5000
2011.06.18, 03:11 PM
Well I just finished glueing the Kyosho tires onto the Rays Route246 Aluminum wheels. I think I overlap the tire tape just a little bit on one of the front wheels because when i freely roll it I can see where it bumps. Can that be a problem when I do put wheels on the chassis and finally drive it?

Starsky5000
2011.06.18, 04:02 PM
Okay I redid the front tire that I overlapped when I was taping and their was a bump i noticed. It looks good now retaped.

EMU
2011.06.18, 07:18 PM
I think gluing the tires are very important... There are a lot of handling inconsistencies that come from not having the tires glued, with slight tire peel which can cause chatter or traction rolls.

Kyosho 30d rear tires will not give you maximum rear traction, and are stiff enough that you should be able to get away with just using R246 tire tape (which is the best tire tape on the market). I would recommend trying the Kyosho 20d radials in the rear, or even the Atomic 10d AR144 rear tires (which gluing is definitely needed).

color01
2011.06.18, 08:40 PM
Also, if you don't like the idea of supergluing your expensive alloy rims, you can always wrap a layer of Scotch tape around the rim first, then glue. Yes it does stretch the tire a little bit, so some experienced drivers will notice a handling difference.

I generally dislike gluing tires unless I have to, and for the most part, having the right tape is sufficient to keep the tires stuck to the rim. PN tire tape works great with PN tires, and R246 tape works great with Kyosho tires. Next time I will try Scotch double-sided tape as it seems stickier than both, but of course the actual sticking strength depends on chemistry between the tape and tire.

Starsky5000
2011.06.20, 05:32 PM
Here are my finished Kyosho tires glued onto the Kyosho aluminum wheels. What do you think?

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Starsky5000/?action=view&current=IMG_1217.jpg

blt456
2011.06.20, 06:47 PM
I don't think those pictures really tell us much..the main idea is to get the tire as straight as possible with minimal to no imbalances (no tire hanging off to the side).

As for your other thread about t-plates, any of those plates you listed should work (PN 2-6 ssg). I would actually recommend using the regular carbon plates because for whatever reason, I notices evety silver carbon plate I've bought is extremely soft. I have bought 3 and 4 and have driven 5. They can't support their own weight. #4 in black carbon can support its own weight without the need for a top shock. (I try to only use a top shock when running a side damper system)

greenepa76
2011.06.21, 11:48 AM
R246 tire tape works well with everything and allows you to reuse wheels if you're on a budget. Why use super glue and make the mess?

color01
2011.06.21, 01:14 PM
Because even with tire tape, once the tires get thin enough they will start flopping around. The only rear tires that avoid this problem are the PN 8 slicks I think, they have the stiffest carcass of all the usable rear tires I own. Kyoshos, PN 6's, ATM tires, they all have soft carcasses so they will peel upwards once they get thin, unless you glue.

greenepa76
2011.06.21, 03:05 PM
I hear you on the Kyosho tires. I don't usually let them get too thin. The inside of the tire starts getting thin first, and when the rear gets unpredictable, I swap tires. I go through rear tires too fast to replace a set of glued rims I can't reuse. I guess I'm too cheap ;)

unearthed name
2011.06.21, 10:45 PM
i just change tires straight away. i don't even tape my rear wheels to the rims. i just tape my front wheel so they won't come off.

EMU
2011.06.21, 11:41 PM
A set of rear tires usually lasts 3-4 race days for me... sometimes more depending on the tire (LM I can go a few months with). I dont particularly like running on new tires, and prefer to break them in a few runs before I feel they come into the consistent range that I am looking for (this is for RCP tires, Carpet tires are best first run and then drop off).

When the tires are glued, they wear at a considerably lower rate. Just thought I would put that out that there as well.

I never feel that the car is completely dialed unless the tires are glued. I cannot push the car as hard with the tires unglued. When a considerable lateral load is placed on the tire (entering the corner hard), the car can get a little loose due to tire peel, and that could cost a tenth on every hard corner if not more.