PDA

View Full Version : Route 246 aluminum t-plate holder.

unearthed name
2011.06.21, 08:50 AM
hey guys, i just bought a set of these.

http://www.rc-r246.com/plannning/product/R246-1321/main.JPG

at first i thought they set-up your rear ride height. however, after comparing them i see no different in the thickness of each plate. the only difference they had is on the length of the third hole.

which brings me to my questions:

what do these things actually do?
the translation from route 246 website says that by changing the spacers of the hole, i can get different characteristic in handling, but how? i use the +0.5 and i found that the rear traction goes up really bad. while using 0 and +0.75 give me good rear traction. does the length of your t-plate holder really affect the handling of your car?

thank you for the answers.

color01
2011.06.21, 11:24 AM
It can. In theory, the little bump at the end of the thing hits the T-plate at all times, which effectively shortens the length that the T-plate can use during bump (up-down) action. Shorter T-plate mounts (e.g. -0.5) give you a longer usable T-plate length than stock (0), and longer T-plate mounts (the +0.75) give you a shorter usable T-plate length. It's one way to fine-tune the car, as well as a way to hold the rear suspension up without needing a top shock.

If your rear suspension is too soft, you can get too much rear traction, or (sometimes) not be able to lay down the power due to the T-plate letting the tires unload too easily. It seems like that's the effect you're seeing here, the -0.5 T-plate mount may not be giving you enough T-plate stiffness for what you need.

On a personal note, I think the Reflex and PN T-plate mounts are a smarter design, given that you get to thread the T-plate screws into a chunk of aluminum rather than the soft plastic chassis. Stock-style T-plate mounts make me cringe whenever it feels like I've overtightened the T-plate. :rolleyes:

z3zinho
2011.06.21, 03:35 PM
On a personal note, I think the Reflex and PN T-plate mounts are a smarter design, given that you get to thread the T-plate screws into a chunk of aluminum rather than the soft plastic chassis. Stock-style T-plate mounts make me cringe whenever it feels like I've overtightened the T-plate. :rolleyes:

And like the R246, the RR t plate mount allows you to tune your "downtravell" but gives you the option to change the t plate"pivot point". ;)

unearthed name
2011.06.21, 09:56 PM
aaaah, i heard good stuff about RR products, but no one sells RR products here in indonesia. so have to make do with r246 and kyosho and atomic products.