PDA

View Full Version : Hel please motor on AWD very hot!!!!!

javier668
2011.06.23, 03:50 PM
Hi friends, i'm new in the mini z world, my awd arrives yesterday and hopped the ball bearings, bodyshell and drift tires, but the stock motor runs so hot with 5 minutes of run, i'm using Team Orion cells 900mah 1.25 v.
I think that is no normal, i have other 1:10 cars and the motor never turns so hot as my mini Z.
I'm thinking about change the serie motor for a V stock new i buyed, that can resolve the problem?.
Is normal a hot motor?, i'm using the stock pinion and spur (15 and 31).

Please somebody help me.

Regards!

thestug
2011.06.23, 04:07 PM
Hi friends, i'm new in the mini z world, my awd arrives yesterday and hopped the ball bearings, bodyshell and drift tires, but the stock motor runs so hot with 5 minutes of run, i'm using Team Orion cells 900mah 1.25 v.
I think that is no normal, i have other 1:10 cars and the motor never turns so hot as my mini Z.
I'm thinking about change the serie motor for a V stock new i buyed, that can resolve the problem?.
Is normal a hot motor?, i'm using the stock pinion and spur (15 and 31).

Please somebody help me.

Regards!

I think that the AWD motors do tend to run hot, IMO. I have a X-speed V motor that runs very hot, but I got a heat sink for it and now it runs at a good temp. The AWD motor is very enclosed and has no heat sink, so i would recommend this. A heat sink will also help your chassis from heat warping, so it would be a worthwhile investment. The batteries you use are also pretty good batteries, so this is probably another reason for extra heat. Also try some sort of lubrication on the motor bushings.

javier668
2011.06.23, 04:31 PM
I think that the AWD motors do tend to run hot, IMO. I have a X-speed V motor that runs very hot, but I got a heat sink for it and now it runs at a good temp. The AWD motor is very enclosed and has no heat sink, so i would recommend this. A heat sink will also help your chassis from heat warping, so it would be a worthwhile investment. The batteries you use are also pretty good batteries, so this is probably another reason for extra heat. Also try some sort of lubrication on the motor bushings.

Thank for reply dude, which heatsink is the best?, i think wil be the Kyosho brand or not ?

Regards!

color01
2011.06.23, 06:43 PM
Anything with fins and actually touches the motor can itself should be a good bet. 3racing, Atomic, PN Racing, etc.

thestug
2011.06.23, 07:11 PM
I personally use a 3racing heat sink.

javier668
2011.06.23, 07:45 PM
Thank you very much for the help dudes!, i will buy a heatsink set, the only bad think is ...... I'm from Chile South America and the purchase takes 15 or more days to arrive.
I'm wondering if can I run without the motor cover for now? i'm only wanna run that mini jejejeje and 15 days is a eternity ,you know.
Thank you again.

Regards!

thestug
2011.06.23, 08:17 PM
Should be fine for 15days. I ran the hotter x-speed v for months without a heat sink. If you area still worried just run a few minutes at a time.

imxlr8ed
2011.06.24, 09:39 AM
Make sure your gear mesh is correct... if you're getting any binding or resistance it will cause the motor to work harder. Make sure you've got the right motor spacer plates in and the entire drivetrain is spinning as freely as possible.

javier668
2011.06.24, 11:32 AM
Make sure your gear mesh is correct... if you're getting any binding or resistance it will cause the motor to work harder. Make sure you've got the right motor spacer plates in and the entire drivetrain is spinning as freely as possible.

All is right, i'm think is only a ventilation problem, but i purchased a heatsink today.

Regards!

EMU
2011.06.24, 02:03 PM
One thing you can do to cool the motor a little more, is to reposition the electronics board, so that the hot air can escape. Remove the top cover, and essentially flip the board around and move it forward (tried to look for pics on google, but havent found any). A bunch of people that I race with have done this, and it makes a considerable difference. With the space opened, you can then mount a heatsink directly on top of the motor (with thermal adhesive, or thermal tape) many computer chip heatsinks would work great for this application. Take in mind, that the motor side of the chassis is typically a few grams lighter than the battery side, so you will not really be penalized by adding mass to that side, if anything it will balance the car better and make it run cooler.

Things to take in mind about heatsink choices, copper will absorb heat faster than aluminum, however it will not release it as fast. Aluminum will release heat faster to the air, however it will not absorb it as fast. Copper is also considerably heavier. A copper base/aluminum fin design is typically the most effective design, but also more costly. All aluminum should suffice.

Especially since you are at a region where ordering parts is slow, I would recommend you make your own solution, as I think it will be more effective. Most 'heatsinks' designed for the MA-010 have very little contact area with the motor, and will barely reduce the heat of the motor, as it just absorbs radiant heat rather than transferring heat directly.

javier668
2011.06.24, 04:17 PM
Thank for the valuable info, tonight i'm will work on it.But i'm think Kyosho calculate the AWD for resist the extra hot, anyway purchased a proheatsink to try.
Regards!

javier668
2011.06.25, 08:10 PM
Finally found the problem, the Team Orion and R1 batts, are so powerfull and the high discharge rise the temp very fast.
Yesterday tried with alkalines batts and the motor runs normal.
I decided wait for the heatsink to use high discharge cells.

Regards!

thestug
2011.06.29, 02:59 PM

I agree this is also very important to check. I usually notice right away if my mesh is off. But it would be difficult to know if your AWD has never been bind free.

javier668
2011.06.29, 03:30 PM
i never unassembled it at all, but seems all ok.
When the heatsink arrives i can compare.
The motor turns hot around 4 minutes of serius drift.

Regards