PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Z 1st Time Buyer

RVGirlAlice
2011.06.27, 11:27 AM
well i found out my xmods hobby is pretty much dead now and people recommend the Mini-Z to get into. i have been looking at stores shop.tinyrc.com and atomic mods. tinyrc has a car id love to have, the "Kyosho Mini-Z Chevrolet Caprice MR-015 RM ReadySet - California Highway Patrol (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=16849&cat=361&page=1)". but sadly its out of stock. :( but i am trying to figure what wold make me a good starter car, ideally id like the one above but what can get me into it cheep be good. heard the new 2.4 is the way to go if possible. but atomic mods had a truck chassis and h1 hummer body i liked the look of but not the price.

so my question comes down to what is the best chassis and control system to get for someone that did all the xmods upgrades she could on a evo truck and evo car. i want a starter kit to build it up slowly.

Alice

Scrapper
2011.06.27, 11:46 AM
There are a few question you have to ask yourself before you decide?
-Am I looking to race?
-What is my price range?
-Drift?
-Offroad?
-2.4 now or later?

RVGirlAlice
2011.06.27, 11:51 AM
-Am I looking to race?
more interested in a hobby and fun, not considering racing right now

-What is my price range?
preferably $150 to $200

-Drift or Offroad?
just fun in the house for now

-2.4 now or later?
not sure if .4 is good to get or not for a home hobbyist

ALice

Scrapper
2011.06.27, 11:53 AM
For you i would recommend a mr02 ex starter kit, Its about the same price as the am cars ready set actually slightly more, it comes with a 2.4 radio perfex kt 18, and a mr02 chassis that is 2.4 ghz, and a nice body,

it retails for 179.99 i believe

briankstan
2011.06.27, 12:50 PM
if you're looking to start without spending to much, a lot can be said about getting an AM car. they are typically much cheaper, you can get a used one with TX for around $80 to $100, then simply add the body you want with a new purchase. Typically you'll also get a chassis with upgrades on it so it's a better value.

one thing to not, stay way from any of the chassis with the iSeries boards in them. they are not good, and will tend to glitch alot especially in the home enviroment.

Also the body you mentioned is very rare and hard to find. if you do find one expect it to be very expensive. I'd recommend finding one that you like that is in stock at one of the various Mini-Z shops. also look at www.rckenon.com as well as the shop here, both support the mini-z community more so than the other shop you mentioned.

RVGirlAlice
2011.06.27, 06:45 PM
so the Kyosho 30762PO-B MR02EX 2.4gHz Murcielago Pearl Orange Readyset (http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Kyosho-30762PO-B-MR02EX-24gHz-Murcielago-Pearl-Orange-Readyset__15639.aspx) for $189.99 at Atomic Mods would be a good starter car for me???

Alice

briankstan
2011.06.27, 10:24 PM
so the Kyosho 30762PO-B MR02EX 2.4gHz Murcielago Pearl Orange Readyset (http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Kyosho-30762PO-B-MR02EX-24gHz-Murcielago-Pearl-Orange-Readyset__15639.aspx) for $189.99 at Atomic Mods would be a good starter car for me???

Alice

if you want a new kit, that would be a nice one to start with. :)

herman
2011.06.29, 06:53 AM
welcome to the forums... :D

hmm... where to start... :confused:
lotsa good information given by the above posts...

short background on kyosho...
they came out with a couple of mini-z platforms as well...
the racer, f-1, overland and awd

kyosho did come out with a hummer body, that however fits on the overland series...

from the posts... i gather that you might be gravitating towards the racer series...

the california hiway patrol car you are interested in, is quite rare as briankstan mentioned... and may cost a pretty penny if you find one...

i'm in total agreement with scrapper and briankstan's suggestion of getting an mr02ex 2.4ghz readyset... you get everything required to run... just add the batteries...

just don't mind the looks of the controller... although it looks a bit dorky, it offers a good starting point and does serve it's purpose... i feel that it's quite underrated... i actually still use mine...

if you like tinkering you might want to consider the awd chassis...
lots more parts to tinker with... this however, means more investment...

hope this helps...

RVGirlAlice
2011.06.29, 02:55 PM
i been looking at the wheel drive because thats what people had suggested. ans i was planing a minimum of a ready set because like every one says all u need is battery's. i was wondering on the awd models because on my xmods i always put the awd kits in. i really enjoyed the xmod evo trucks too so i been looking into the overlanders as well just looks like i need to find me a good 2-wheel or awd 2.4 readyset.

Scrapper
2011.06.29, 03:26 PM
I dont think they make 2.4GHZ awd readysets. They released am readysets. To be honest the mr-02 ex is the best starter kit deal in 2.4. The 02 chassis is more durable than the mr03

RVGirlAlice
2011.06.29, 03:35 PM
i noticed that myself, that the mr-02 2.4seamed to be the best bang for the buck i can find. i just wish i could find the caprice cop car. i used to be security guard and i love that car with the federal signal street hawk lightbar on the roof. its just a very cool car in my opinion.

Alice
P.S. TY for the warm welcome everyone

Scrapper
2011.06.29, 03:38 PM
That is one of the rarest bodies, You are better off buying a white body of some sorts and getting someone to do a police themed body

RVGirlAlice
2011.06.29, 03:41 PM
ahh thats what i was afrade of

thestug
2011.06.29, 03:43 PM
I dont think they make 2.4GHZ awd readysets. They released am readysets. To be honest the mr-02 ex is the best starter kit deal in 2.4. The 02 chassis is more durable than the mr03

I agree the MR-02 2.4Ghz ready sets are a great deal. I personally would buy an AWD if I had no intentions of racing others. The AWD chassis is the only chassis that can drift. So I guess a question that hasn't been asked yet is do you plan on drifting?

RVGirlAlice
2011.06.29, 03:45 PM
not sure yet i just want to have fun right now lol

thestug
2011.06.29, 03:49 PM
not sure yet i just want to have fun right now lol

I see. I would reccomend drifting as It is the most fun I have had driving alone. Also drifting is easier on all the drivetrain parts because of the low grip from the hard plastic tires. No upgrades are neccessary to the AWD except some hard plastic drift tires, which I believe some of the cars come with anyway. I would reccomend the AWD because they are the most fun to drive alone IMO.

RVGirlAlice
2011.06.29, 03:52 PM
ill defently have to look in to a awd model. but with pc parts pused bck my buying till august

alice

thestug
2011.06.29, 03:56 PM
ill defently have to look in to a awd model. but with pc parts pused bck my buying till august

alice

Ok, don't wait too long though. Just ask here if you need more help with yor decision.

ruknd@aol.com
2011.06.30, 04:38 PM

Alice

That's the route I would go.

Scrapper
2011.06.30, 04:43 PM
Honestly on the awd Even drifting it it requires more upkeep than a 2wd. A full drivetrain mean 4 wheels versus 2wheels where something can go wrong.

RVGirlAlice
2011.06.30, 09:36 PM
i used xmods awd all the time. but thes may be otaly difrent

delrosa81
2011.06.30, 11:43 PM
well i found out my xmods hobby is pretty much dead now and people recommend the Mini-Z to get into. i have been looking at stores shop.tinyrc.com and atomic mods. tinyrc has a car id love to have, the "Kyosho Mini-Z Chevrolet Caprice MR-015 RM ReadySet - California Highway Patrol (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=16849&cat=361&page=1)". but sadly its out of stock. :( but i am trying to figure what wold make me a good starter car, ideally id like the one above but what can get me into it cheep be good. heard the new 2.4 is the way to go if possible. but atomic mods had a truck chassis and h1 hummer body i liked the look of but not the price.

so my question comes down to what is the best chassis and control system to get for someone that did all the xmods upgrades she could on a evo truck and evo car. i want a starter kit to build it up slowly.

Alice

It actually depends on what U want. MR-02EX is a good and inexpensive way to get started on Mini Z. you can start off with the MR-02EX 2.4 ASF and move on to acquire more cars like the MR-03 once you get the hang of things. Along the way you might want to get another remote that have program more than one car.

Some pics to share of my MR-02EX that I used to have till I sold it off recently.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OE2EoKIMv9M/TgtR2zlCsMI/AAAAAAAAAQg/crtWtcGFuV8/s400/DSC_2268.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Gr9e_20QjLY/TgtR4-3Qk9I/AAAAAAAAAQk/XY2QHstOw6g/s400/DSC_2269.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wTXMnFINHXY/TgtR9tJZHpI/AAAAAAAAAQo/g01TnQIHGkM/s400/DSC_2270.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kA-ObK018OE/TgtR_5A_RrI/AAAAAAAAAQw/Jzsr3yASkPM/s400/DSC_2272.JPG

RVGirlAlice
2011.07.01, 07:31 AM
i had noticed nice rc controls setups that u can control lot more cars with, which i thought was cool

delrosa81
2011.07.01, 08:26 AM
i had noticed nice rc controls setups that u can control lot more cars with, which i thought was cool

Yup they are cool and the price is really cool too.

Me, being on a budget, I got the EX-5UR which can only be used on Mini Z 2.4 ASF. As I only play Mini Z, Im fine. But if you are into other sort of radio cars, you might want to consider the EX-1UR, EX-10 Helios or the EX-10 EURUS which you can purchase the modules for different kinds of radio.