PDA

View Full Version : Running Mini-Z Without Dampers. How Important Are Dampers?

Starsky5000
2011.07.02, 02:42 PM
I have a Mini Z MR-03 JSCC Cup Edition.

I bought a Lamborghini Countach body (RML) and can't fit that body because it's very low in the back and the damper gets in the way of mounting. Same thing happens to my McLaren F1 GTR 1997 car body.

Right now their is NO dampers on the McLaren body and the body fits perfectly.

So how important are dampers. Here is a pic of what used to be my setup before removing the dampers:

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Starsky5000/?action=view&current=IMG_1234.jpg

color01
2011.07.02, 03:34 PM
Ooh, yikes. The 90MM (I use capitalized MM to denote Mid Motor, not millimeter) motor mount, while *yes* you can use it at 98mm, is extremely impractical at the longest wheelbase setting because most 98mm cars are fairly low in the rear (as you've discovered). For wheelbases longer than 90mm, most of us run motor mounts and dampers like this:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9927/img0499p.jpg

The 94MM mounts -- all of them, regardless of manufacturer -- provide a much lower design for the disk damper than the PN 90MM mount, which will let you fit it under the low bodies without needing to shave/trim/whatever the body. So for 90mm-wheelbase bodies, there isn't much you can do, but for any wheelbase longer than that you might consider picking up a 94MM motor mount to make your life easier.

To answer your actual question, running a 2WD Mini-Z without a disk damper on anything that has more than zero traction is difficult. If you're not racing, then chances are that you drive on a surface with zero traction, so in that case, the disk damper is not really needed at all. Just have fun with it. :)

Starsky5000
2011.07.02, 04:30 PM
The 94MM mounts -- all of them, regardless of manufacturer -- provide a much lower design for the disk damper than the PN 90MM mount, which will let you fit it under the low bodies without needing to shave/trim/whatever the body. So for 90mm-wheelbase bodies, there isn't much you can do, but for any wheelbase longer than that you might consider picking up a 94MM motor mount to make your life easier.

So to get this McLaren body with the damper on I must shave through the body to get it to fit. Is this correct?

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Starsky5000/?action=view&current=IMG_1239.jpg

LED
2011.07.02, 05:31 PM
No you do not have to do it.
the only 98mm body I encountered that needed modification is the lambo murcielago (the new one). I know people who ran the mclaren without any problems.
Are you sure you are not doing something wrong with the damper?

Starsky5000
2011.07.02, 05:57 PM
the only 98mm body I encountered that needed modification is the lambo murcielago (the new one). I know people who ran the mclaren without any problems.

No. I am not doing anything wrong. I tried everything I could. I double checked everything. Look at the pics. Here is another pic.

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Starsky5000/?action=view&current=IMG_1236.jpg

Starsky5000
2011.07.02, 06:00 PM

For the people that ran the Mclaren body without problems can you provide me with what their setup was or a link?

Thank You.

Starsky5000
2011.07.02, 06:27 PM

No here is a close up of 2 pics I borrowed from the Tinyrc shop here that carries this same mount. My set up is the same way.

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Starsky5000/?action=view&current=PNRacing90MMMotorMount.jpg

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Starsky5000/?action=view&current=PN-MR9094S-2.jpg

xmodcanuck
2011.07.02, 08:08 PM
Dude I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell you this but you have to start using your brain. It seems every other time I check the forum there's another thread by you that basically says 'I'm too lazy to think for my self and read product descriptions."

Read the description of the mount you have.

Fits all 90mm Mini-Z hatch back bodies. Sports car bodies may require some clearancing.

Use your brain as to why your Lamborghini and Mclaren don't work. They're NOT hatchbacks.

I don't even know why you would have picked that mount to even try to fit under your Countach. I can tell just from looking at it that it probably wouldn't fit. The atomic 90mm mount would have a much better chance of fitting. (And don't ask for a link....go find it yourself.)

pomme de terre
2011.07.02, 08:10 PM
Just go ahead and read color01's post again...

You bought a motor mount meant for very short wheelbase cars, so the disk damper is placed higher due space issues when running that configuration.

If you want to run the McLaren and don't want to cut the body, either buy a new motor mount & damper... or just run with no damper if you are just driving around for fun.

EDIT: nicely put xmodcanuck :D

Starsky5000
2011.07.02, 09:26 PM
Dude I'm sorry I have to be the one to tell you this but you have to start using your brain. It seems every other time I check the forum there's another thread by you that basically says 'I'm too lazy to think for my self and read product descriptions."

Fits all 90mm Mini-Z hatch back bodies. Sports car bodies may require some clearancing.

Use your brain as to why your Lamborghini and Mclaren don't work. They're NOT hatchbacks.

I don't even know why you would have picked that mount to even try to fit under your Countach. I can tell just from looking at it that it probably wouldn't fit. The atomic 90mm mount would have a much better chance of fitting. (And don't ask for a link....go find it yourself.)

I was gonna go with the Atomic 90mm mount but someone told me I should go with the PN 90MM mount. Big Mistake!

KA2AEV
2011.07.02, 10:12 PM

WOW
Don't get nasty with the guy
Dude you knew everything with this hobby when you first started?
Geez!
We're supposed to help each other out here

mikey
2011.07.02, 11:32 PM
That's the wrong mount for that body

xmodcanuck
2011.07.03, 12:22 AM
WOW
Don't get nasty with the guy
Dude you knew everything with this hobby when you first started?
Geez!
We're supposed to help each other out here

No, I didn't know everything when I first started. I never said I did. I did, however, use my brain and search for answers and figure stuff out on my own. I'm all for helping out when someone is willing to help themselves, but this guy isn't even trying to find out on his own, he's just immediately making a new thread about every little thing that pops in his head and waiting for someone to give him the answer.
That says one thing to me - LAZY.

EDIT: nicely put xmodcanuck :D

Clearly I'm not the only one here who thinks the same way.

color01
2011.07.03, 03:11 AM
I was gonna go with the Atomic 90mm mount but someone told me I should go with the PN 90MM mount. Big Mistake!
Wait, have you registered any of the info we've given you besides that? :eek: Please help us help you, and actually read what we're trying to say. For the McLaren body you do not want to be running a 90mm motor mount, it just wasn't designed to do 98mm. Please go find yourself a stock, Kyosho OEM, plastic Mid Motor motor mount and install that on your chassis. You will find that it fits properly. And you can run a disk damper.

Seriously dude, we want to help you get started with Mini-Z, but if you have a learning disability you need to go get that checked out by a professional because we're at our wits' end and we can't help you with that. :(

Starsky5000
2011.07.03, 08:01 AM
Seriously dude, we want to help you get started with Mini-Z, but if you have a learning disability you need to go get that checked out by a professional because we're at our wits' end and we can't help you with that. :(

In reference to my learning disability. I don't think I have one but I did have pain in my head and they did an MRI scan of my brain and found a portion of my brain has died. They said that happens to old people and not a 36 year old. It's called cortical atrophy. I also take psychiatric medications since 2003 and they are dangerous drugs that although they help you psychiatrically, they do have side effects and take a toll on the body in the long run. I wish I didn't have to take them. But I have no choice. I have to take them the rest of my life. Also my memory hasn't been that good lately. I don't know if it has to do with the psychiatric drugs i'm taking.

arch2b
2011.07.03, 09:11 AM
the simple answer was, that is not the appropriate motor pod for that wheelbase/body selection. when searching for a motor mount, you will find they are generally listed by wheelbase setting. choose from the appropriate wheelbase setting and 99% of the problems you have will go away.

we were all newbies once. not all of us choose to read and search prior to jumping in, i blame it on the lack of attention span with youthful generations. you can choose to answer or skip the thread. if you want to take it to the next level, there should be an ignore feature for members. it's frustrating for sure but lets keep it civil and moving forward.:)

KA2AEV
2011.07.03, 09:21 AM
we were all newbies once. not all of us choose to read and search prior to jumping in, i blame it on the lack of attention span with youthful generations. you can choose to answer or skip the thread. if you want to take it to the next level, there should be an ignore feature for members. it's frustrating for sure but lets keep it civil and moving forward.:)

Thank you for saying what I tried to say
Over and out

blt456
2011.07.03, 02:52 PM
Do you plan to race?? I think your biggest issue was buying the lamborghini and the motor pod to go along with it. If you want to race, chances are you will end up irritated when you try to drive the car. The shorter wheel base cars are very hard to drive. If you are driving around for fun, then just enjoy the car.

If you plan to race, I believe there is a track in Staten Island, NY because I think you said you live in NY. Those guys over there might be able to help you too. :)

color01
2011.07.03, 03:31 PM
In reference to my learning disability. I don't think I have one but I did have pain in my head and they did an MRI scan of my brain and found a portion of my brain has died. They said that happens to old people and not a 36 year old. It's called cortical atrophy. I also take psychiatric medications since 2003 and they are dangerous drugs that although they help you psychiatrically, they do have side effects and take a toll on the body in the long run. I wish I didn't have to take them. But I have no choice. I have to take them the rest of my life. Also my memory hasn't been that good lately. I don't know if it has to do with the psychiatric drugs i'm taking.
It wasn't meant to be an insult at all by the way, I realized something was wrong and it isn't just youthful laziness as arch prescribed it to be. I wish I hadn't been even close to right on this point... however, I don't believe memory loss is typical of cortical atrophy though so please be careful! It could be the drugs or it could also be symptoms of an underlying condition, which I would definitely go chat with your doctor about. I apologize if I've been curt. :o

Again, to make the answer simple to your original question, just have fun with the car for now, without any dampers. If you ever go to a track such as Action RC, ask all your questions there and they will hook you up in real-time. ;)