PDA

View Full Version : Gimbald Tri-Shock Setup

b.c.ninja
2011.07.02, 08:40 PM
Hey guys just need some advice on setup of the gimbal mount.
Ok I will try and explain as best I can.
I currently am running foam tires on the rear but am having traction issues exiting corners, pretty much as soon as I'm through the corner if I lay down a fraction too much throttle I spin out. I have slight push entering the corners which I like, but loose that traction as soon as the power comes back down, loosening the balldiff helps but drastically impairs my torque, so a few questions.
1- Should I stiffen or soften the top shock main spring for more traction.
2- Should I stiffen or soften the side springs for more traction.
3- I removed the Damper plates as I didn't like the action of them should I reinstall and if so heavier or softer top spring on the damper plates.

I currrently run the MR-03 with PN front end, 1deg camber, 1deg Caster, lowdown knuckles with a relatively low ride height and purple springs, no droop or preload, Gimbald mount with PN 33turn motor (have just swaped to the AWD XSpeed as I had one spare) red spring on top shock and AWD springs on side shocks, Foams on rear and Rubbers on front (foam fronts were way to much and made the spinout problem worse) and the mosler body. any info would be grand.

themelis factor
2011.07.02, 08:51 PM
I currently am running foam tires on the rear but am having traction issues exiting corners, pretty much as soon as I'm through the corner if I lay down a fraction too much throttle I spin out. I have slight push entering the corners which I like, but loose that traction as soon as the power comes back down, loosening the balldiff helps but drastically impairs my torque, so a few questions.
3- I removed the Damper plates as I didn't like the action of them should I reinstall and if so heavier or softer top spring on the damper plates.

I currrently run the MR-03 with PN front end, 1deg camber, 1deg Caster, lowdown knuckles with a relatively low ride height and purple springs, no droop or preload, Gimbald mount with PN 33turn motor (have just swaped to the AWD XSpeed as I had one spare) red spring on top shock and AWD springs on side shocks, Foams on rear and Rubbers on front (foam fronts were way to much and made the spinout problem worse) and the mosler body. any info would be grand.

What kind of track surface do you run on?
And why would you use foam rear?

color01
2011.07.02, 09:12 PM
Depends on surface and driving style. On really slick surfaces, you're going to want to use the softest springs possible to get maximum traction. On surfaces with traction, it depends -- smooth users of the throttle will find softer springs to provide more traction, while "jerky" users of the throttle (like myself) will find stiffer springs to provide more instantaneous traction when you lay into the throttle -- that's usually all I need to keep the rear end in check, just the first moment when the risk of overloading the rear tires is highest.

yasuji
2011.07.02, 10:16 PM

why r u running awd springs on the side shocks?
the baseline setting that i use on the gimbal trishock is:
topshock: wht trishock main spring with 3 threads showing above the preload collar with the std silver spring on the rebound side
side shocks:as the rotational travel is limited by the hole on the dds plate,i run the blue trishock springs preloaded so that it comes to coilbind at full travel, this gives it a linear feel from left to right
as for damping i run just a top disc with the grn dds spring and kyosho 400 lube! hope this helps

b.c.ninja
2011.07.03, 11:44 PM
As far as track surface is concerned, we run on the Kyosho Track, we are a small club in NZ where all the members biff in a bit of cash when they join and we use that for track and timing gear ect, its pretty much a weekly get away from the missus setup that also allows us driving time as practice for our larger scale RC. We have over 5 Kyosho starter tracks as well as a whole bunch of add on track parts and we usually arrange the track so its as big as possible with a good ratio of technical sections and high speed sections, the traction is a bit low as our previous venue was the floor of a large engineering workshop, so there is a lot of dust and debri.
As far as running foam tires, this was due to cost, they don't wear, we used to run the kyosho radials(which I recycle for my fronts) but after a few meets we would have to shell out for some more, the foams just last forever and provide higher traction.

I think I'll go for a stiffer top spring as the issue is when I hammer the throttle down just after a turn, all in all there has been some good info here so cheers for the help.

Also could anyone recommend a good tire and wheel combo (other than the foams of course) to suit my mosler body and that are suitable for low traction tracks.

glider
2011.07.09, 06:20 PM
Sounds like power-on oversteer. In my experience you can minimize that by reducing your camber and your induced camber and if you are running a PN Dual Spring main shock by using the lightest rebound spring (causes the front end to lift more at the transition to acceleration). I run 0 degree camber and caster and the soft silver rebound spring with no pre-load to tone down this effect. The problem for you would be that going to zero camber would lower the push on entry you like, but you can counter that with less grippy front tires (e.g. Atomic 40 slick<Atomic 40 tread <= Kyosho 30 slick). I like a fast entry without oversteer elsewhere so that is no problem for me. You can also try stiffening the front springs. Basically, when you hit the throttle the increased speed and g force can induce more camber and grip on the front end and cause oversteer. But also make sure the problem isn't simply wheel or chassis rubbing if you are dramatically spinning out.

In re-reading your post I would suggest finding money for tires. They pretty much number one in getting your car set up properly.