PDA

View Full Version : Uneven wheelbase?

Mania
2011.07.11, 07:54 AM
My AWD seems to have a wheelbase that's shorter on the right rear side. Also, there seems to be greater offset on that side as well, and I don't know why (the wheel sits closer to the front and more out from the body).

It had this problem with the standard rear, and still does with the SAS Pro that I installed last year. The reason I ask this now is because I always noticed this but didn't really care, but now I got a narrower body and the wheels are rubbing along the front of the wheelwell, and when I compress the suspension, it hits the top.

Help please!

color01
2011.07.11, 08:59 AM
Are you properly trimming the side body clips before trying to clip it into the chassis? The MA010 is asymmetrical and if you don't trim the clips it's possible for the body to be wedged out by different amounts left/right, which would lead to your symptoms.

Mania
2011.07.11, 09:14 AM
Oh, I have to trim the side clips? Could you lead me to a tutorial or something?

thestug
2011.07.11, 10:24 AM
Its pretty easy. Just cut it with nippers at a 90 degree angle about 3-4mm away from the "pin" that locks the body in place. It dosen't have to be super exact. I'll try to find a picture of one.

Mania
2011.07.11, 11:01 AM
Would I still need to trim a body if it was made for the AWD? Because while it's not the current body I'm using, they still do have this problem with the wheel.

thestug
2011.07.11, 12:21 PM
Would I still need to trim a body if it was made for the AWD? Because while it's not the current body I'm using, they still do have this problem with the wheel.

I personally have never had to trim side body clips on an AWD. Some AWD bodys do fit very close though. Some bodies I have experienced front clip twist causing the body so slant from left to right and cause the wheel to rub on one side ,but not the other. As far as wheels hitting the top when you compress the suspension, many bodies do this and need to have the suspension limited with shims in order to prevent it. What body are you trying to fit?

Mania
2011.07.11, 08:43 PM
Like i said, this is a problem only appearing on the rear right side (it always has). Currently the body is an Altezza, but I've had less noticeable versions of the same problem with pretty much every shell, such as the R32 Skyline, and R35 GT-R, and the Lancer Evo X.

thestug
2011.07.11, 09:41 PM
Like i said, this is a problem only appearing on the rear right side (it always has). Currently the body is an Altezza, but I've had less noticeable versions of the same problem with pretty much every shell, such as the R32 Skyline, and R35 GT-R, and the Lancer Evo X.

Ok, it definitely sounds like some misalignment or bad wheel play on the right side. Are the rear "diff box" screws a bit off causing the right rear wheel to move forward and the left rear to move back? If this is the case you can adjust it a bit by making the screw holes on the rear upper plate to try and move it back into position. Not sure if this is the issue though. I would personally try this or a new chassis to make sure the holes are perfect. I wish I could help more. :(

EMU
2011.07.11, 10:05 PM
Measure the actual distance between the front and rear axles. Judging the wheelbase by the body is not the correct way to do it. If the wheelbase is the same on each side, then the problem is definitely how it is mounted on the chassis.

If you have a setup board, it is easy to see if there is misalignment. What rear end is on the chassis? What upgraded parts do you have? Do you have an aftermarket toe bar in the rear? Are you certain that the wheels are the same offset? If not, use a set that you know are the same offset.

I have had to trim MANY side body clips (left side clip if I remember correctly, since it is the motor side that usually causes issues). If the clip is too long, it will push the body away from the chassis.

If you can post some pictures, it would be easier to diagnose the problem.

Mania
2011.07.12, 05:16 AM
Ok, it definitely sounds like some misalignment or bad wheel play on the right side. Are the rear "diff box" screws a bit off causing the right rear wheel to move forward and the left rear to move back? If this is the case you can adjust it a bit by making the screw holes on the rear upper plate to try and move it back into position. Not sure if this is the issue though. I would personally try this or a new chassis to make sure the holes are perfect. I wish I could help more.

Well I'm using an SAS Pro and I've had this problem since before that, so I don't think so?

Measure the actual distance between the front and rear axles. Judging the wheelbase by the body is not the correct way to do it. If the wheelbase is the same on each side, then the problem is definitely how it is mounted on the chassis.

If you have a setup board, it is easy to see if there is misalignment. What rear end is on the chassis? What upgraded parts do you have? Do you have an aftermarket toe bar in the rear? Are you certain that the wheels are the same offset? If not, use a set that you know are the same offset.

I have had to trim MANY side body clips (left side clip if I remember correctly, since it is the motor side that usually causes issues). If the clip is too long, it will push the body away from the chassis.

If you can post some pictures, it would be easier to diagnose the problem.

The only thing I have to try and measure the wheelbase is a ruler, and I get different measurements each time because of bad eyes or something.

I don't have a setup board, and as I mentioned before I had the standard rear and also the SAS pro which both seem to have this problem. On the list of hop-ups that might affect this, I have Kyosho bearings, Kyosho aluminum dogbones, an Atomic diff, and the SAS Pro, which I'm running with I believe 1 degree toe in and 2 degrees camber. No, I do not have a toe bar, and yes I am using a full set of wheels.

I don't have my camera at the moment, so I can't really post pictures. I'll try to borrow one before too long though. However, I really do appreciate all the feedback you guys are giving me though!

EMU
2011.07.12, 07:38 AM
Try using a sheet of loose-leaf paper, with lines on it. Line up the front of chassis with one line on the paper, and mark where the rear wheels/axles are with a pencil. This will give you a good indication whether the chassis is misaligned. Be sure not to move the chassis once you have it lined up... Then you can measure from the closest line and see if there is a difference between each side.

Which SAS do you have? The Carbon/Aluminum or the plastic?

Mania
2011.07.12, 07:55 AM
I use the aluminum version of SAS. As for the lined paper, there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference, but as usual there's room for error.

thestug
2011.07.13, 10:43 AM
Try using a sheet of loose-leaf paper, with lines on it. Line up the front of chassis with one line on the paper, and mark where the rear wheels/axles are with a pencil. This will give you a good indication whether the chassis is misaligned. Be sure not to move the chassis once you have it lined up... Then you can measure from the closest line and see if there is a difference between each side.

Which SAS do you have? The Carbon/Aluminum or the plastic?

To check if the wheel bases are actually off, I would use a machinists ruler. they are usuallt stainless steel and have a little slider clip on them. I think you can get them for a few dollars at a hardware store. Machinists rulers are perfect for setting up cars suspensions and checking alignment. Try to find one that is 1/64 inch and .1mm or smaller. Just measure between the left side axles with the steering straight to see if the wheel base is off. Also check the distacne between the centers of the kingpins diagonally. They should be exactly the same. If not the chassis may be twisted in some way.

thestug
2011.07.13, 10:45 AM
I use the aluminum version of SAS. As for the lined paper, there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference, but as usual there's room for error.

Here is a picture of the ruler I was talking about.

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~gerry/class/EAS199A/equipment/img/ruler.jpg

Mania
2011.07.13, 11:23 AM
Thanks, I'll try looking for one of those rulers, since it does seem lik it would come in handy.

Meanwhile, does anyone else have any ideas/suggestions?