PDA

View Full Version : Tires for old MR01? (plus a few bonus questions)

Nizztos
2011.07.12, 06:00 AM
I just dug out my two old MR01s and figured I'd bring them to the office and race my collegues on our breaks. I think these are the original ones, red skyline? and black wrx?.

However the tires are rock hard and need replacing. I guess close to 10 years in storage will do that ...

Looking at the webstores I get totaly confused. Could someone just give me a general idea about what type/size tire I should get? This is for your normal office type carpet. I thought I could look at the wheels selection to get an idea but that confused me even more.

Is there any reason I sould also get new wheels to fit a new dimension tires or are the stock wheel/tires sizes what I should/can go with?

One of them is MUCH slower than the other. They do have different pinion gears. If getting the same pinion gears doesn't make them even is there something else to look for?

Racer-HH
2011.07.12, 07:41 AM
First: welcome to the forums...

Second: you can simply switch tires, no need to replace the rims, too. For carpet our club has best experience with ATM V Pattern (10 shore wide for rear and 20 shore narrow for front).

Third: if speed is not up to par after changing gears (and using the same cells) one motor may have worn down brushes. You can replace them, too. Maybe a drop of lube on the bushings will help also.

Nizztos
2011.07.12, 08:56 AM
First: welcome to the forums...

Second: you can simply switch tires, no need to replace the rims, too. For carpet our club has best experience with ATM V Pattern (10 shore wide for rear and 20 shore narrow for front).

Third: if speed is not up to par after changing gears (and using the same cells) one motor may have worn down brushes. You can replace them, too. Maybe a drop of lube on the bushings will help also.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately you managed to confuse me yet again :)
The wheels I have on the cars are the same size front and rear. Do you mean that I can run wide tires on narrow wheels in the rear?

imxlr8ed
2011.07.12, 09:53 AM
Be specific... do all of your Autoscales have narrow wheels? Which cars are they? Some come without wider wheels in the rear.

If your running narrow all around and you're going to be on carpet, I'd recommend 30s or for the fronts and something in a 20 or less for the rears.

Atomic makes some good treaded tires, I've never run the PN carpet tires. If you are just bashing for fun... mix and match brands and shores and I'm sure you'll find a good combination eventually. Tires are cheap enough.... shouldn't be a big issue.

For the MR01... I used to prefer to run wides all around, just worked better on carpet.

I remember when this was as hi-tech as it got... old school tri-shock systems and wides all around:

Nizztos
2011.07.12, 10:24 AM
Be specific... do all of your Autoscales have narrow wheels? Which cars are they? Some come without wider wheels in the rear.

If your running narrow all around and you're going to be on carpet, I'd recommend 30s or for the fronts and something in a 20 or less for the rears.

Atomic makes some good treaded tires, I've never run the PN carpet tires. If you are just bashing for fun... mix and match brands and shores and I'm sure you'll find a good combination eventually. Tires are cheap enough.... shouldn't be a big issue.

For the MR01... I used to prefer to run wides all around, just worked better on carpet.

I remember when this was as hi-tech as it got... old school tri-shock systems and wides all around:

Hehe, I have no clue what autoscales are :)
You are talking to someone that has no clue about the hobby as such.
Unfortunately the cars are at work and I am at home, but picturing them in my mind I dont think wider tires would fit in front. They would probably rub the fender. Rear, maybe. As I said, these are the original bodies (when there were afaik only a grand total of 3 to pick from).

Getting multiple "compunds"/threads sounds like a fair deal. I still don't quite know about the physical size. Are all tires same diameter? The wheels I saw were different (part of my confusion).

When I say that I have narrow wheels, stock wheels on those cars, does that equate the narrow tires in the shops or are my wheels wider than narrow? I.e. I dont know if my wheels are "officially" narrow although if I had them on front of me I could measure. What are the actual widths used for narrow and wide so I can compare?

What I got:
The tires should be threaded, 20-30 in front and 20 or less for the rears. I should get some variations and test. I assume those numbers are "compound". I do recognise them from the shops so that is a none issue.
Sizes still a bit fuzzy to me.

imxlr8ed
2011.07.12, 11:18 AM
8.5mm, 11mm refers to the tires width, the degree number refers to the hardness. Lower the number, softer the tire. You probably have street car Autoscales (Autoscales are the bodies for the MiniZ) and they most likely have narrow rims (8.5mm) all around. The racer types usually had 11mm rears (Benz, NSX, F40, Modenas... ect>)

Here's a link to the shop here...

http://shop.tinyrc.com/home.php?cat=429

Might help give an understanding... there's 5 pages of tires on that link.

Nizztos
2011.07.12, 11:26 AM
8.5mm, 11mm refers to the tires width, the degree number refers to the hardness. Lower the number, softer the tire. You probably have street car Autoscales (Autoscales are the bodies for the MiniZ) and they most likely have narrow rims (8.5mm) all around. The racer types usually had 11mm rears (Benz, NSX, F40, Modenas... ect>)

Here's a link to the shop here...

http://shop.tinyrc.com/home.php?cat=429

Might help give an understanding... there's 5 pages of tires on that link.

Thanks!

All set now then. Narrow (8.5) all around it is.

The tire listing you linked to is what got me confused in the first place. Lots of tires with different numbers/dimensions but no explanation on what goes where and why. Just one of those things where you are expected to know what you need.