PDA

View Full Version : New class for an existing club

monkeyracing
2011.07.14, 02:13 AM
Hi guys, looking for advice for my club. We're pondering the idea of firing up a new class and Mini-Z fits the bill. Just wondering about the best place to purchase anywhere from 1 to 40 complete rigs (shame that these things are so radio specific) and also curious about batteries.

We're a well established club that's always moving forward and, as a result, have sort of lost our truly affordable entry level class to the brushless and hop-up gods, so we're in the market for a new one. A purely stock class Mini-Z, maybe?

SO:

1. Where to buy and
2. What's the deal with rechargable AAA batteries? Charge rates? Just want to be sure we don't have to sit around trickling power in at 250mah or anything like that.
3. How do these little guys run on carpet? We run a very low pile office type carpeting now (like ozite, but cheaper and much more durable) and it works very well for 1/10-1/12 scale cars.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

LED
2011.07.14, 05:34 AM
Hey

First off all I think its wrong concidering mini-z to be a step in class for bigger scales. Because they are smaller doesnt mean they are easyer to drive.
Besides that...

Where to buy. I think if you contact one of the larger stores or kyosho themselfs and say you want to buy 40 sets the will probably give you a good deal.

Batteries. You can always charge AAA batteries at 1C. Most of the time a little higher Altough not realy necessary. If you have 4 sets you can last a while before you ran out of batteries to drive on one evening.

They run great on carpet. Alot of clubs run on carpet. Its a mather of finding the richt tires for the job. But I'll that for the guys with experience on carpet.

Hope this helps.

monkeyracing
2011.07.14, 04:52 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I suppose to clarify my thought about them being a starter class, I should say it's more about them being A) a totally stock class B) a class that is therefore also more affordable and C) less intimidating for newer/younger racers.

Our Tamiya mini class has been our bread and butter for some time, but like all types of racing, it has evolved. What began as a darn near stock, super cheap idea has become much more competitive and expensive. It's still cheap compared to touring cars, but compared to a few years ago when all you needed was the basic car, an AM radio and a $13 Nimh stick pack, it at least doubled. Not cool for a 10 year old kid and his dad (on a budget) who happen to wander past our door after hockey practice.

These little guys look like fun to me and if we can keep the cars stock for at least a year, I'll be thrilled. As with all things RC, everyone wants to go faster eventually, so mod classes will evolve.

Thanks again.
Jim

color01
2011.07.14, 05:30 PM
As for the tire recommendation, what tires are you currently running with your larger scale cars? If it's rubber with traction compound, the rubber laid down on the racing line will provide sufficient traction to Mini-Z's running even normal tires -- you could spec a Kyosho 40 radial up front and Kyosho 20 radial in the rear and carry only these tires in your shop and the Box Stock Mini-Z's all the way up to Open Mod would be fine. There are carpet-specific tires made for Mini-Z, however they usually contain a high percentage of silicone, and will grease the track up for your rubber-tired 1/10's unless they also use silicone. That's one thing to keep in mind, once you go silicone you can't go back, unless you want your track to become a rally stage.

monkeyracing
2011.07.14, 06:51 PM
Color01: Good information, thank you! I was curious about silicone tires. We'll be running these cars on a separate piece of carpet one way or the other. The 2/30/40 series rubber tires seem like the best option for a spec series.

Shop? I wish. We're just a club that currently rents a large community hall on weekends. Every time we race, we have to roll out our 36' x 80' track, lay down the boards, set up the timing system, set up pit tables...it's a pain, like it is for most clubs. There is another club in town that is fortunate enough to have a permanent home that they only have to tear down a couple times a year. Even though the floor under the carpet is a little lumpy, I envy them.

LED, how do you go about charging the batteries? Are they built into packs or still loose cells?

EDIT: Nevermind about the charging question. Just found the answer: Charging racks. Guess I'll be building of of those!

Jim