PDA

View Full Version : Kyosho body price increase August 1st

Sinister_Y
2011.07.14, 12:01 PM
FYI, just got a notice from Kyosho head office that they will be increasing the prices on both their autoscales & white bodies starting August 1st. Note this would have gone to any/all authorized dealers for Kyosho America.

I can't comment for the MZR shop or other retailers, however, I can say that we'll try our best to keep prices inline with current pricing, but may end up with a minor adjustment to accomidate the increase from Kyosho.

Just thought everyone should know the deal in advance of anything happening.

The good news though is that Kyosho is still offering the current pricing to retailers for "in-stock" bodies. So, you'd better get whatever you were thinking about now at a good price, rather than wait and possibly pay more later.

arch2b
2011.07.14, 12:11 PM
i saw the email this morning as well. you know what is going to happen. some retailers are going to jump at the chance to purchase at the current price, stock up then bump the price soon or after august with the justification of passing on the cost increase till current stock runs out and or need to restock. or sit on listing new stock until after the august increase for bodies released just prior to august. not saying the respectable retailers will do this but be aware, gouging can and will happen.

as if autoscale sales were not down significantly already, they are going to fall off the cliff with the new price points. white bodies will now run at what autoscale prices were a few years ago. anyone looking for an idea on the new pricing, just look at dnano autoscales.... it's not pretty.

briankstan
2011.07.14, 12:23 PM
It's pretty sad, the price will have increased more than 100% in the last 5 years. I can see them pricing themselves out of a market share, pretty sad when it's their market.

I personally use to purchase lots of Autoscale bodies, I use to collect them. I haven't purchase a new one since the last major price increase. I just can't see spending that much on them, also the quality of the plastic had gone down as well, the bodies aren't as durable as they use to be.

Sad Day for Mini-Z's in my opinion. :mad:

new2miniz
2011.07.14, 12:23 PM
thanks for the heads up. I'm glad arch has confirmed this, and its not just a ploy for you to take advantage of me ;)

any idea what they're increasing the price to?

machgo5go
2011.07.14, 12:29 PM
If you follow foriegn exchange rate in this recession, Our US dollar is worth crap like Monopoly money. I never in my life will imagine Yen falls under 80 78.48 when I use to think 110 Yen vs. 1 USD was low.

ChiMiniRc
2011.07.14, 12:45 PM
If you follow foriegn exchange rate in this recession, Our US dollar is worth crap like Monopoly money. I never in my life will imagine Yen falls under 80 78.48 when I use to think 110 Yen vs. 1 USD was low.

Perhaps they should ship the molds over here and start warming up some fresh plastic. Other manufacturers do this. It would mean getting releases a couple months behind Japan but at local rates.

ChiMiniRc
2011.07.14, 12:51 PM
.... you know what is going to happen. some retailers are going to jump at the chance to purchase at the current price, stock up then bump the price soon or after august with the justification of passing on the cost increase till current stock runs out and or need to restock. or sit on listing new stock until after the august increase for bodies released just prior to august. not saying the respectable retailers will do this but be aware, gouging can and will happen. .

I just wanted to say, in fairness to the dealer, if you did buy up more bodies than usual to get the current price, your going to likely have a lot of stock sitting on your shelf. To increase the price to the new market rate in tune with Kyosho would only seem a fair way to make up for that capital. I don't think it would be unfair for the dealer to charge the new price even if the product was obtained at the old price.

To me the only exception would be to see all stock diappear until Aug. My gut feeling, no one would cease selling something at the hopes a person would bay $5 more in about a month.

briankstan
2011.07.14, 12:52 PM
thanks for the heads up. I'm glad arch has confirmed this, and its not just a ploy for you to take advantage of me ;)

any idea what they're increasing the price to?

expect any body that begins with part # MZP to be around $55, and the MZN part #'s to be around $25. :(

ChiMiniRc
2011.07.14, 01:08 PM
Out of curiousity, I understand Kyosho has it's MAP prices so this isn't an online question. For those that purchase their bodies locally, I felt many shops "ate" the margain and simply sold the bodies for $39.99 locally instead of the $49.99 that the last price change required.

Would any of you say it was common to see the current bodies at $39.99 locally?

briankstan
2011.07.14, 01:15 PM
Out of curiousity, I understand Kyosho has it's MAP prices so this isn't an online question. For those that purchase their bodies locally, I felt many shops "ate" the margain and simply sold the bodies for $39.99 locally instead of the $49.99 that the last price change required.

Would any of you say it was common to see the current bodies at $39.99 locally?

true, it's up to the shops to sell them for what they want, but to cost to the dealers and LHS will be going up as well, so I would still expect an increase.

to me there isn't any local shops that carry Mini-Z's so I do my shopping online.

ChiMiniRc
2011.07.14, 01:17 PM
true, it's up to the shops to sell them for what they want, but to cost to the dealers and LHS will be going up as well, so I would still expect an increase.

to me there isn't any local shops that carry Mini-Z's so I do my shopping online.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the last time around, some shops ate it. I was wondering what the "Street" (non-online price) is going to go to. I'd have to assume at least $42.99 or $44.99.

Mrs Mini-Z
2011.07.14, 03:53 PM
I can't comment for the MZR shop or other retailers

Just wanted to offer our quick comment :)

We also received the news about an impending increase on both AutoScale and White Body prices and are just as frustrated as you all are. For the time being we plan on keeping prices constant as a courtesy to our loyal customers. Taking this hit on our end though may mean that we aren't able to stock higher quantities of bodies, so be sure to order your new arrivals as soon as they arrive. :) As I'm sure you're also aware we continuously review our inventory and offer regular across the board price decreases on our AutoScale collection as well as thoughtfully planned sales to help you get what you need for less. :)

color01
2011.07.14, 04:36 PM
Isn't the trouble that Kyosho is increasing its USD prices faster than the Yen is gaining on the USD? Certainly, back when ASC's were $25 the exchange rate was not 1:160. :eek:

Yeah I don't even know what to think about this one, I used to have no qualms buying an ASC to look good while racing but now it's going to be cheaper to buy the whitebody and have it professionally painted to whatever color I want... :rolleyes:

CristianTabush
2011.07.14, 04:53 PM
We won't be raising prices either.

Brian, no, but the cost of manufacturing labor in China and raw material cost is increasing faster even than what they Yen is gaining vs the Dollar. Then factor in the fact that sales have been flat in the Mini-Z industry for about 2 years, and you can see that the increase in supplier cost is probably necessary.

However, as retailers, we are lucky to be in this segment of the hobby where margins are so generous. In other market segments, their margins are 1/3-1/4 of what we make as re-sellers. This increase in price is not so substantial at the wholesale level, and it should not really affect the bottom line of each store if we stay at the same price points.

arch2b
2011.07.14, 05:07 PM
autoscale sales have not really remained flat. they nose dived after the last price increase. this will shrink them even further making it harder for retailers to justify stocking many risking shelf warmers. it's a downward spiral that will feed on itself.

VERY hard to find autoscales locally for me as well. i'm willing to bet it is this way for most. it's not common at all to have a LHS stock mini-z. some even don't carry much if any kyosho. CA and NY seem to be exceptions to the norm.

EMU
2011.07.14, 05:47 PM
I used to purchase an ASC almost every other week... after the last price increase, I may have purchased one or two ASC's. I almost entirely use White bodies now primarily for the price point, but also so that I can build it the way that I want it built, as I feel that with many ASC bodies, they are not built properly to race (side clip positions, etc).

I am glad to see the response from many re-sellers about this increase in price, it will not really hurt many end users :)

color01
2011.07.14, 06:18 PM
Brian, no, but the cost of manufacturing labor in China and raw material cost is increasing faster even than what they Yen is gaining vs the Dollar. Then factor in the fact that sales have been flat in the Mini-Z industry for about 2 years, and you can see that the increase in supplier cost is probably necessary.
That would do it... forgot that Mini-Z's are made in China now. Thanks for the info Cristian. :)

glider
2011.07.14, 10:59 PM
While the price increase is not good news I do not see any other manufacturer producing an equivalent product at this price point. If one was to attempt to produce one of the more complicated paint schemes on these bodies one would appreciate what Kyosho has pulled off. So to me autoscales are still a reasonable value. Moving production to China is certainly not an excuse for price increases, as in spite of recent inflationary pressures there costs remain far below production costs in Japan. The fact is this is a luxury item which is marketed to a lot of customers that are middle class and that group is hurting in our new world order. You can thank the Banksters, the Federal Reserve, and America's Endless Wars Policy for trashing the USD relative to the Asian currencies. Yeah, gold is over $1500 an ounce and Mini-Zs bodies are headed to $55.

machgo5go
2011.07.15, 06:45 AM
While the price increase is not good news I do not see any other manufacturer producing an equivalent product at this price point. If one was to attempt to produce one of the more complicated paint schemes on these bodies one would appreciate what Kyosho has pulled off. So to me autoscales are still a reasonable value. Moving production to China is certainly not an excuse for price increases, as in spite of recent inflationary pressures there costs remain far below production costs in Japan. The fact is this is a luxury item which is marketed to a lot of customers that are middle class and that group is hurting in our new world order. You can thank the Banksters, the Federal Reserve, and America's Endless Wars Policy for trashing the USD relative to the Asian currencies. Yeah, gold is over $1500 an ounce and Mini-Zs bodies are headed to $55. Can't say it better then this. Since I work for Japanese Manufacturer Company over 2 decades, this is what we are struggling in US. Those Glory days of USD's value on top is over and I don't see any recovery in anytime soon from how US govt. operates.

arch2b
2011.07.15, 07:00 AM
that sentiment has been expressed each time the price has gone up. in reality, sales have gone down with each price increase. people speak with their wallets, the 'value' slipped away with the $35 sweet spot.

there is no denying autoscales are highly detailed, well crafted products. you can argue that product quality has also shifted with the last couple increases to cheaper plastics, thinner plastics and cheaper finishes. hard to swallow getting a more cost efficient product while at the same time paying more for it. see the lengthy discussion when we lost 'glosscoat' and got 'fine hand polished' as an example. that move cost an average $10 increase. we all understand the financial reasons behind the increases. everyone has to make a little something on these from the begining to end and to continue to do so, the price increases. whats bearing true in this market however is that it's now becoming cost prohibitive (consumer) and as another suggested, pricing them out of a market. absolutely unfortunate but the reality of the situation.

at $25, they were almost disposable. at $35 we still had a large contingent of collectors and you saw autoscales on the track everwhere. at $45 collectors market dried up to all but a few and a majority moved to white bodies. at $55, i don't know who is going to be buying these other than the most devoted collector and or as gifts, etc.

i agree that the quality of the autoscale has been under appreciated. i do not agree that at $55, it's still a reasonable value. we may disagree but i believe sales will show this to be true.

be an educated consumer, check the part number prefix when purchasing to make sure your getting the correct price. the devoted shops we all know and patronage will take care of us as best they can for as long as they can but in the end, the price is going up for them, it's going to go up for us.

Guinness
2011.07.15, 08:43 AM
that sucks. guess i better get what i can now.

thanks for the heads up Shawn

Guinness
2011.07.15, 03:40 PM
i was just looking at my ASC collection, and i have a lot of them (nothing like Bill's collection though). I'm up to about 70 ASC's now and this price increse might be what i need. it'll stop me from buying any more. i might get 1 or 2 more that i've been wanting but after that, i guess that's it for me and ASC's

Stephen

arch2b
2011.07.15, 08:05 PM
as predicted, ebay prices for autoscales have already jumped up:rolleyes: