PDA

View Full Version : Mini-z and dNaNo Try-Me Tracks at RCX Saturday Aug. 6th

ChiMiniRc
2011.07.28, 08:09 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that the Chicago Mini R/C Club is hosting Mini-z and dNaNo Try-Me tracks from 10am-8pm at RCX Aug 6th.
WWW.RCX.COM. It is in Villa park, IL and they have a lot of activities lined up.

Throughout the day we will be hosting free Mini-Z and dNaNo racing. The plan is to have 5 minute races one after the other. Winners of those races will race in a feature race that we have every 2 hours.
Well then have a final race at 8pm form all the features. All cars are provided and well be running Mini-z on RCP and the dNaNo on the black carpeted dNaNo racing tables.

If you are a forum member, please PM me and let me know youll be at the show. Id like to have a Mini-Zracer.com exhibition race. Either with our PN70t Mr-03 club cars or your own car if you happen to bring it.

ChiMiniRc
2011.07.29, 08:50 AM
Were hosting racing for dNaNo and Mini-z cars and Im looking for any volunteers that can help.

Track and table setup is Noon-4pm Friday the 5th. Saturday morning will be putting batteries in cars and trimming radios.
Throughout the day, its going to be swapping/charging batteries and helping people with the racing (explaining controls, reverse, answer questions about the cars). That and track marshaling.

Please PM me if you can help. There are some gifts for those that are able to help including some rare autoscales (Gzox 350z, Gzox NSX, Takata NSX, Taisan Porsche).

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.01, 10:45 AM
Please PM me if you will be attending the event. If enough Mini-zracer.com members are there, we'll have a feature race just for the crew. I'll even donate an Autoscale as a prize for the race.

Also, the prize pool just keep growing and growing for the giveaway.
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=418114&posted=1

pinwc4
2011.08.01, 11:22 AM
I will be there. It would be awesome to meet and race with some of the other people that I have only interacted with virtually.

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.01, 11:58 AM
I will be there. It would be awesome to meet and race with some of the other people that I have only interacted with virtually.

Glad to hear your going to make it. And for the rest of us running Flipside, this will be an opportunity to buy the man a drink :).

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.01, 12:18 PM
What are people's thoughts on the layout at RCX? I have a 30'x50' area next to a carpet race track that is also 30'x50'. I have a 4'x32' 8" high drivers platform we may use that would go between the tracks. So we're talking 22'50' of usable space if elect to do that.

I'd REALLY love to see a bunch of times submitted for HFAY. We have enough track and space for two HFAY layouts. At the same time, I'm wondering if it is a better idea to just maximize the space and make as big a track as possible (such as the PN Regional layout + a few extra tiles).

Anyone care to share thoughts? The goal is to get more folks into Mini-z racing. Not sure what would gain more attention. A large layout or a layout where they can see their times posted online.

If it helps any. Our club meetings are HFAY races with two layouts and then we joing the 2 for the second half of the meeting.

arch2b
2011.08.01, 12:20 PM
use hfay for your features and combine for the end of day feature. sort of a graduated event, start small and work to big. just an idea...

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.01, 02:33 PM
use hfay for your features and combine for the end of day feature. sort of a graduated event, start small and work to big. just an idea...

We've done that in the past with the club. We're guessing 5 max on the HFAY layout is best (so 10 racers at a time on the layout). What I'm trying to wrap my head around is way to effeciently track the entrants. One thought was a sheet of slips to hand out.
Race #1 with racer #A-J

So the results would be RCX-01A, RCX-02B

That way the slip would have the www.howfastareyour.com link and they'd check their results based on the slip (RCX-05A, RCX-22F, etc. etc.)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/th_HFAY-Track-4.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/?action=view&current=HFAY-Track-4.jpg) http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/th_s11race4combined.png (http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/?action=view&current=s11race4combined.png)

arch2b
2011.08.01, 02:43 PM
you could put an QR code on the slip as well so that a scan would take you right to HFAY.

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.01, 02:55 PM
you could put an QR code on the slip as well so that a scan would take you right to HFAY.

I like the QR Code idea.

Now just a way to track each driver. I'm pretty sure there is no easy way to associate a real name to the results quickly and effeciently.

I do NOT want to take down names and fill out forms. :)

pinwc4
2011.08.01, 03:18 PM
I like the QR Code idea.

Now just a way to track each driver. I'm pretty sure there is no easy way to associate a real name to the results quickly and effeciently.

I do NOT want to take down names and fill out forms. :)

Why not just copy the racer in the software and type in a new name?. Have your template cars at the top of the list at all times by starting their names with 1 or something so you can quickly copy the cars. A couple of clicks and typing in the name is all that is needed. I think the software would be OK with that many racers, without quicktime installed of course:)

Of course I would be willing to consider some modifications to the software as well. Nothing extensive of course but if there was some small tweaks for a custom build for this event that would streamline it it may be worth doing. Just have to be careful about bugs getting introduced.....

Also if there were some sort of internet access they could even have their email address entered and the software could email them their race results (I may be able to supply a mifi unit if it is not in use this weekend).

For the track layout you might consider rotating one of the HFAY tracks 90 degrees. That way when you combine them it will not just be a mirror of the other side making for a more unique and fun track, I think.

arch2b
2011.08.01, 03:31 PM
...Also if there were some sort of internet access they could even have their email address entered and the software could email them their race results (I may be able to supply a mifi unit if it is not in use this weekend)....

can this rest of us get this functionality as an option:cool:

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.01, 03:36 PM
Why not just copy the racer in the software and type in a new name?. Have your template cars at the top of the list at all times by starting their names with 1 or something so you can quickly copy the cars. A couple of clicks and typing in the name is all that is needed. I think the software would be OK with that many racers, without quicktime installed of course:).

It's more about the logistics. "For those of you'd that like to enter your times for How Fast Are You, please see the man by the Flipside banner to give him your name and E-mail address."

Or maybe gather this before a race while they wait in line? What would be a fast way to transfer a list of 10 racers against the car they will be driving?

Of course I would be willing to consider some modifications to the software as well. Nothing extensive of course but if there was some small tweaks for a custom build for this event that would streamline it it may be worth doing. Just have to be careful about bugs getting introduced.....

Also if there were some sort of internet access they could even have their email address entered and the software could email them their race results (I may be able to supply a mifi unit if it is not in use this weekend).

Can this work AFTER a race is complete? I would think it would be critical to get their name an e-mail before the race starts for this to work.

For the track layout you might consider rotating one of the HFAY tracks 90 degrees. That way when you combine them it will not just be a mirror of the other side making for a more unique and fun track, I think.
I think we could pull that off.

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.01, 03:36 PM

E-mail results are already part of the app :)

pinwc4
2011.08.01, 03:44 PM

Your wish is my command, I have traveled back in time and retroactively added it to version 0.53 :D

pinwc4
2011.08.01, 03:53 PM
It's more about the logistics. "For those of you'd that like to enter your times for How Fast Are You, please see the man by the Flipside banner to give him your name and E-mail address."

Yeah I may be volunteering myself for work here. Guess that is one way to motivate a person to streamline a process:)

Or maybe gather this before a race while they wait in line? What would be a fast way to transfer a list of 10 racers against the car they will be driving?

Maybe like you said above, have the next batch of racers line up by the person at the computer to enter the info. Number each car, probably just on the bottom so it does not detract from the Autoscale beauty. Then create a disabled racer for each numbered car. Put a space in from of the number for the name so " 1" " 2" etc. Spaces sort ahead of all characters so if we keep the race screen sorted by name these template cars will also be at the top. Hand the cars to the racers (or controller with the number) and I can quickly add a racer for them.

Can this work AFTER a race is complete? I would think it would be critical to get their name an e-mail before the race starts for this to work.

I think we could pull that off.

Yes, there is a button on the statistics screen to force the program to resend email results at any time. So if you update racer information after the race then you can click that button.

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.01, 04:58 PM
Maybe like you said above, have the next batch of racers line up by the person at the computer to enter the info. Number each car, probably just on the bottom so it does not detract from the Autoscale beauty. Then create a disabled racer for each numbered car. Put a space in from of the number for the name so " 1" " 2" etc. Spaces sort ahead of all characters so if we keep the race screen sorted by name these template cars will also be at the top. Hand the cars to the racers (or controller with the number) and I can quickly add a racer for them.

Hmm, but isn't the racers screen locked down while racers are underway? Meaning, we can't add or edit racers while a race is going on?

pinwc4
2011.08.01, 06:02 PM
Hmm, but isn't the racers screen locked down while racers are underway? Meaning, we can't add or edit racers while a race is going on?

Yes that is correct. I was envisioning a quick registration process between races.

The thought of opening up the edit racers screen during a race crossed my mind but that alone would not be good. When copying a racer that copy becomes the enabled version. If done during a race this would then add that racer to the race and the prior racer that is currently running would no longer get laps. I could tweak the copy function to not enable the copy but then I would need to then enable the new racers after the current race completes which would take longer than just copying them between races. Plus when editing racers you do not see the race screen (though if there were a secondary screen I may be able to do a cheesy hack so it shows the races at all times).

arch2b
2011.08.01, 08:21 PM
Your wish is my command, I have traveled back in time and retroactively added it to version 0.53 :D

:o sorry, i'll be sure to try this out next time.

Atomic-USA
2011.08.04, 01:31 PM
EGR Mart and Atomic R/C will be sponsoring the Mini-z / Dnano TRY-ME track at the Chicago Mini R/C track this Saturday.

Final race winner will get a $50USD gift certificate; 2nd- $30; 3rd- $20. Coupons and free prizes(Atomic Mini-z Hop-ups) will be awarded or given out as well. Don't miss it.

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.04, 01:35 PM
EGR Mart and Atomic R/C will be sponsoring the Mini-z / Dnano TRY-ME track at the Chicago Mini R/C track this Saturday.

Final race winner will get a $50USD gift certificate; 2nd- $30; 3rd- $20. Coupons and free prizes(Atomic Mini-z Hop-ups) will be awarded or given out as well. Don't miss it.

Thank you so much Atomic! To clarify, the prizes will be for the Mini-z track.
The top 3 prizes will go to the fastest 3 times of the day.

We'll run 4 min races all day long and roll up the winners into feature races. There will be prizes for those feature races as well.

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.05, 11:20 PM
Pictures of the track being setup and our first test driver once the layouts where complete, Vaughn Gittin Jr. :)

Mini-z racers, you CAN'T miss this show. Excellent prize package by Atomic Racing ($100 in gift certicates for 1st-3rd) and an amazing assortment of brand new hop-ups donated by John Billig! Remember, there is no charge to enter the race and we are providing the cars with brand new autoscales courtesy of Kyosho!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/th_2011-08-05141913.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/?action=view&current=2011-08-05141913.jpg)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/th_2011-08-05141936.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/?action=view&current=2011-08-05141936.jpg)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/th_2011-08-05180741.jpg (http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk193/Greg_Zielinski/?action=view&current=2011-08-05180741.jpg)

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.06, 11:02 PM
Just got home and decompressing. Wanted to quickly post that we have 313 entries. We did the PN Regional A layout and did 4 minute runs with MR-02 cars with Kyosho Stock motors.

We'll be aggregating the results to post the winner of the TOP 3 racers of the day to hand out the $100 worth of Atomic gift cards. We have these all up by Monday night.

We also got a lot of entries into HFAY for this month. Overall it was a huge success and Im going to have a long list of people to thank.

lfisminiz
2011.08.06, 11:09 PM
Great to hear all went well. Hope you can build more interest in the Zs!!!:)

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.06, 11:12 PM
I can't think of a better way. Everyone that wanted to race had a chance and a few got to go more than once. Every 90 minutes we had a feature race (8 minutes instead of 4) with all the previous winners. THAT was some close racing. Pretty exciting to watch and fun to call.

I asked a trivia question twice in the day while we were waiting for batteries for the feature race. "How long ago was the Mini-Z introduced?". It's funny how many think these are brand new.

mleemor60
2011.08.07, 06:09 AM
Super job Greg. You and the group are truly a credit to the scale.

pinwc4
2011.08.07, 08:59 PM
As Greg mentioned there was a second track running as well. It was laid out as the August HFAY track. On that track there was a mix of 4 minute races and 8 minute HFAY races. This track had a later start but still in total there were 31 races during the day with a total of 86 racers (though some people went through the line more than once :)

Amonst those 31 races were 9 HFAY style 8 minute races with 35 people participating in that race type.

So in total that would be 399 racer entries during the day.

I tend to forget to take pictures but I did get 1 picture of a couple of people practicing on the track while batteries were being swapped on a couple of cars.

http://www.flipsideracing.org/images/RCXHFAY.jpg

Greg and the Chicago Mini RC club did an excellent job organizing this event for RCX.

I went to their club races today to check that out as well. They have a superb club and the fleet of cars they maintain worked really well for visitors including two of my kids. If you are in the area or visiting you should check them out.

briankstan
2011.08.08, 10:31 AM
Great Job guys, sounds like everyone got to have a lot of fun. It's always more fun to participate than to just watch in my opinion.

ChiMiniRc
2011.08.09, 04:27 PM
Quick little blurb at www.bigsquidrc.com. Anyone recognize the Vette they sold me about a year ago? It is my personal car :)

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Mini-Displays-2.jpg
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Mini-Displays-1.jpg
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Mini-Displays-3.jpg
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Mini-Displays-4.jpg