PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Z Buggy

arch2b
2011.08.03, 10:06 PM
Kyoshosan broke the news to us here (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36844):D

the information also appears on the German (http://www.miniz-forum.de/weltneuheit-miniz-mb-010-buggy-t14787.html) mini-z forum.

we've follow up with this news by adding the product number to the subforum group:p as soon as official information is provided by Kyosho, i'll have the stick post setup.

kyoshosan
2011.08.03, 11:25 PM
Kyoshosan broke the news to us here (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36844):D

... as soon as official information is provided by Kyosho, i'll have the stick post setup.

Here it is the official announcement:

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/fun/special/miniz_buggy/index.html

akura2
2011.08.05, 12:33 PM
Rccaraction has it posted too

http://radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=263649

Davey G
2011.08.06, 01:58 PM
I'll take 2 please :)

Mike Keely
2011.08.06, 08:06 PM
Looks like the old Optima 4 wheel buggy.

JAC
2011.08.07, 02:50 PM
Earlier there was a mention about another news by the Kyosho member that would be as big if not bigger than the release of this buggy......I think I know what he was talking about....

akura2
2011.08.08, 08:16 AM
Earlier there was a mention about another news by the Kyosho member that would be as big if not bigger than the release of this buggy......I think I know what he was talking about....

Well if you think of it.. Let us know! I think the buggy news is pretty darn big

Kamer
2011.08.09, 04:29 PM
next big new's probable the Bike. Tube circulating in the web with it.

arch2b
2011.08.09, 04:35 PM
the buggy is bigger news for me than the bike. the bikes just doesn't have the legs in the market the buggy should have. dnano has already shown it's not easy by a long shot to get a club of $250 super micro rc's together.

i'm hoping for monster style hollow tires with options for inserts. i agree the overland route would not suit the offroad nature well.

akura2
2011.08.09, 05:36 PM
the buggy is bigger news for me than the bike. the bikes just doesn't have the legs in the market the buggy should have..

You should see the bike forum on Rc groups... Bikes are actually pretty big (fir a niche part of the hobby)

arch2b
2011.08.09, 05:42 PM
i'm sure there are forum groups but in 10 plus years i have never seen a group at a track or hobby shop with rc bikes. just saying...

akura2
2011.08.09, 07:13 PM
i'm sure there are forum groups but in 10 plus years i have never seen a group at a track or hobby shop with rc bikes. just saying...

Your probably right.... It's more if a Europe/SoCal/Texas thing... I'm kinda biased, living in Southern Cali where we meet regularly as part of the local race programs as well as on our own... Most other places are pretty dead for bikes

Guinness
2011.08.10, 09:55 AM
the buggy looks good. i wonder how it'll drive on RCP

JAC
2011.08.10, 11:19 AM
Yes, I would think it's the bike. More a mini z size bike than a dnano size(if you see the internet movie). I'm sure there is a market for it even if the price was high. I think that what makes rc bikes unappealing to many is how hard they are to actually drive them(my venom is in a shelf collecting dust)! But if Kyosho has found a way to balance it and make it stable enough to race in a limited amount of space, then it maybe worth it.

akura2
2011.08.10, 02:19 PM
how hard they are to actually drive them(my venom is in a shelf collecting dust)

Tell me why yours is hard to drive.. I may be able to help you out... they take proper setup and a smooth hand.... that's it

I've had my wife (who has never done anything RC) run my bikes without a problem... they drive themselves if they are set up properly...

but you are right too... bikes (in the States) are so spread out that when someone buys one, usually they are the only one in miles to have one, so if they don't have te setup right, or someone nearby to get them started, the bikes can end up on the shelf...

Back on topic... I would like to see Kyosho take the buggy concept and expand to more current styles later on.. just like their current bikes that are stuck in the 80's... they need an update too so hopefully their little bike will be 'current'...

I like the classic-style buggy too (don't get me wrong) but a buggy patterned after one of their current cars would be killer!

180SX SR20
2011.08.11, 03:59 AM
I would like to see a Short Course Truck, water proof, brushless 2.4ghz version!

Slubben
2011.08.11, 08:29 AM
Traxxas makes that. It's called a Slash. LOL. Sorry just busting chops but, an off road vehicle you have no hope of ever taking outdoors is pointless. The only saving grace of this product is that it keeps Kyosho building micro 2.4 electrics and that it's 4WD which could possibly lead to a better AWD mini-z but, this product on it's own is a joke.

JAC
2011.08.11, 09:45 AM
Tell me why yours is hard to drive.. I may be able to help you out... they take proper setup and a smooth hand.... that's it

I've had my wife (who has never done anything RC) run my bikes without a problem... they drive themselves if they are set up properly...

but you are right too... bikes (in the States) are so spread out that when someone buys one, usually they are the only one in miles to have one, so if they don't have te setup right, or someone nearby to get them started, the bikes can end up on the shelf...

Back on topic... I would like to see Kyosho take the buggy concept and expand to more current styles later on.. just like their current bikes that are stuck in the 80's... they need an update too so hopefully their little bike will be 'current'...

I like the classic-style buggy too (don't get me wrong) but a buggy patterned after one of their current cars would be killer!

Well you are right about having somebody to give you starters, but also with the bike I had to disassemble it to change any minor settings, the room inside is very tight, battery was moving around, and my space outside is concrete which creates a lot of friction on the sides when turning. I think the best place for a bike would be a track. RC bike races are a lot of fun to watch-maybe better than car racing,more skill involved at lower speeds. I'll get back to it someday. About the buggy, if the components have a good seal against dust and dirt and the servo is strong enough for jumps then it will be a hit. For the bodies I think they'll start with different colors of the same body. I'm sure aftermarket will take care of cosmetics soon enough.:D

akura2
2011.08.11, 09:48 AM
Traxxas makes that. It's called a Slash. LOL. Sorry just busting chops but, an off road vehicle you have no hope of ever taking outdoors is pointless. The only saving grace of this product is that it keeps Kyosho building micro 2.4 electrics and that it's 4WD which could possibly lead to a better AWD mini-z but, this product on it's own is a joke.

Well the Losi 1/24 SCT is doing quite well, so to say that a kyosho AWD ome would be a joke is a pretty broad statement...

JAC
2011.08.11, 09:58 AM
Well the Losi 1/24 SCT is doing quite well, so to say that a kyosho AWD ome would be a joke is a pretty broad statement...

I agree, I have a losi micro rally and even though some have complained about the electronics being susceptible to the elements I've had no such problems and the little thing is a lot of fun out of the box. I have lots of traxxas vehicles(3 of them are 1/16) and to think they come without problems is just not realistic.

akura2
2011.08.11, 10:09 AM
True... And not everyone has a track, or even a sprawling back yard to run a larger off road vehicle... Overlands did very well for a LONG time... I, for one, would like to see Kyosho go back to it's scale roots and make something like the 1/20 Turbo Optima again but in Mini-z size http://lbspd.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album198/1_Box_Cover.sized.jpg

Or something that looks like a true off road desert buggy/truggy... Not like the new traxxas or Losi ones which look terribly out of scale

JAC
2011.08.11, 10:25 AM
True... And not everyone has a track, or even a sprawling back yard to run a larger off road vehicle... Overlands did very well for a LONG time... I, for one, would like to see Kyosho go back to it's scale roots and make something like the 1/20 Turbo Optima again but in Mini-z size http://lbspd.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album198/1_Box_Cover.sized.jpg

Or something that looks like a true off road desert buggy/truggy... Not like the new traxxas or Losi ones which look terribly out of scale

Nice to know people in this hobby still enjoy near true scale. Nice collector item by the way. This goes to the artistic aspect of the RC hobby-the how it looks running and when on display:D.

akura2
2011.08.11, 10:56 AM
Nice to know people in this hobby still enjoy near true scale. Nice collector item by the way. This goes to the artistic aspect of the RC hobby-the how it looks running and when on display:D.

Thanks.. that one isn't my box... but I DO actually have one of those, and it runs great!!

ebay find a couple of years ago... and I actually even found someone who was making 'remake' bodies for them for a while, so I have at least two more clear bodies to paint (or not)

JAC
2011.08.11, 11:25 AM
Thanks.. that one isn't my box... but I DO actually have one of those, and it runs great!!

ebay find a couple of years ago... and I actually even found someone who was making 'remake' bodies for them for a while, so I have at least two more clear bodies to paint (or not)

Looks like it was a 2wd back then. Nice thing is that I'm counting on the mini-z buggy version to be like the AWD were its easy to make them rear wheel drive only, if you choose to.

bermbuster
2011.08.11, 12:29 PM
I like the buggy but what scares me will be the price.....
If something like this retails for $100 or less its a no brainer.....but when it will go for $200 or more then I dont think it will be a hit.....Personally I enjoy playing with other vehicles whether its racing, bashing, practicing....If the cost is high then not too many people are going to buy them.
They are way too small to take outside and be serious with....unless you have a super manicured track.....The next thing is how durable will they be?
I have both Overlands and Mini Monsters and I only raced mine once....
and it was indoor rcp with obstacles.....

akura2
2011.08.11, 12:44 PM
I only raced mine once....
and it was indoor rcp with obstacles.....

That still works..:)

akura2
2011.08.11, 12:45 PM
Looks like it was a 2wd back then. Nice thing is that I'm counting on the mini-z buggy version to be like the AWD were its easy to make them rear wheel drive only, if you choose to.

yes... back in the day they were 2WD... but by removing a drive shaft or a gear, I'm sure these can be converted too if you were so inclined....

JAC
2011.08.11, 01:17 PM
I don't know what percentage of actual sales the mini-zs are for Kyosho, but I think they've been successful for years.I don't see a buggy version being different. Reading the Kyosho comment I do believe like he said, that they have put time in the buggy's development. Looking at the buggy's underside photos you can see it's a totally different model. I would love to run my Forza inside my garage, or have a 1/10-1/8 track in my backyard but I can't. Now at least I can dream of making a mini dirt track with just a shovel in hand! and tell my wife I'm experimenting with a tomato garden!:D

arch2b
2011.08.11, 01:41 PM
there are always negative responses. ALWAYS. n\it's not going to be ALL things to ALL people. many will love it, some will not. the Overland, as mentioned is similar in that it was not 100% satisfactory to everyone and had it's fair share of detractors however it held on for a long time before languishing with no updates or attention. like others, i'm worried about price point. this is what contributed heavily to the lackluster performance of the dnano and always the first argument against it. i'd hate to see an exciting product like this hit the same wall which is only getting taller as the market gets tighter.

JAC
2011.08.11, 03:02 PM
In my opinion, It may be around the sames price as a MA010 but it won't be cheaper. I know it doesn't make sense but people are willing to pay 260$ for a 1/16 erevo to see if the thing can actually fly or to smash it against a wall at 30mph only to spend another 100$ or more in parts the next day. The mini-zs are for a different type of audience-the word finesse comes to mind. I know they don't come with the 2.4 trans but we've been in the hobby for sometime, we have plenty of those stored in our garage. Also those thinking about putting rocket propulsion to their RCs are most likely to walk away from the hobby after they are tired of playing. (I bet this has all been said before:D) If I like it, I'll pay for this buggy even if It means having to sell my left kidney.:D

bermbuster
2011.08.11, 04:02 PM
, I'll pay for this buggy even if It means having to sell my left kidney.:D

Sounds like you have a few Kyosho tattoos....:D
Im going to get one as well but Im gonna really hate it if very few people buy them and I only get to race it once....:cool:
We all know the mini z crowd is a special group and in the competitive racing area it is always the same few with only a few new racers.....
I really dont want this to be a shelf queen like my other off road kyoshos.....
The kool thing to try and we did this with the Kyosho Half Eight Buggies back in the day at Potbellys in Vineland, NJ We turned our off road buggies in to Formula 1 buggies.....:eek::D:cool: We basically set them up to run on a carpeted road course......

JAC
2011.08.11, 04:32 PM
That's the spirit!! I just found and ordered 3 new bodies for my collection, old but desirable. Got them cheap too so I can't complain! The buggy will do just fine, if there is one notable difference from other markets its that here in the US people like to run RCs in the dirt. I'm a road enthusiast myself, maybe that's why I'm so neurotic and frustrated:eek:. Thank the heavens for my mini-zs and slot cars, that calm me down. And here I am cheering for the new buggy!! Go figure!!!:D

color01
2011.08.11, 06:34 PM
Yeah, never underestimate the USA bash/destroy/pay-for-more market. A buggy that's driveable outside on the street, no matter how small, is going to sell for good amounts. Xmods are still pretty popular for bashing, and if the Mini-Z buggy occupies that niche, I'm cool with that -- Kyosho's not going to build an off-road vehicle that can't take a few bumps and scrapes. I'm happily saving up for one, even if it doesn't get raced it'll be in my cargo pants pocket when I'm out camping, with friends, in the park, etc. etc.

JAC
2011.08.11, 06:49 PM
even if it doesn't get raced it'll be in my cargo pants pocket when I'm out camping, with friends, in the park, etc. etc.

Absolutely, for those with a pickup truck, you might be able to put some dirt in the back and build a track, jumps and all!!!:D Heck, I may be able to race it in the back of my SUV:D:D

CristianTabush
2011.08.11, 06:56 PM
From a Racer's point of view, I think if the clubs take the time to make some off-road jumps for their Mini-Z Tracks, these will fit in nicely and bring in some fresh blood into the sport in the cold winter months.

It will never compete with off-road racing, because they are simply too small, but it has potential to bring converts into our quirky little Mini-Z World. Mini-Z is what it is, a nice little niche where we all like to converge. Some of us are racers, some of us are collectors, others are bashers, but we all love Mini-Z.

I think that as racers, we can blow these up if we try to give them a chance. For those of you with RC Clubs where it gets cold in the winter, this is the perfect way to bait some off roaders into trying Mini-Z. With so many Losi Micro SC Trucks/rally cars and Micro T's out there, the people will come out of the woodwork to run these little things during the cold if you make it accesible to race these. It will also be something different that might inject a little life back into racing "Indoor Mini-Z off-road racing" could be the next big thing. And not to mention Off-Road is a blast! it takes an entirely different skill set.

arch2b
2011.08.11, 06:56 PM
You have to be careful in comparisons to xmods. One could easily argue there popularity is based on very low cost compared to Kyosho products and they could be bought locally at any RS store. We had years of tit for tat debates about where the similarities and differences lie in RS vs. Kyosho. Pay for play means a whole lot more when your talking $200 vs $50-75 and possibly having to order everything online. Even now, finding a hobby shop with mini-z is not easy except for ny and ca maybe.

arch2b
2011.08.11, 07:04 PM
The gateway model for winter months has not proven very successful either. This was said with the release of each micro buggy, truck so far and It has not caught on in any of our local clubs, hobb shops or the like. It sounds nice each time we hear it but for the mist part Ive dismissed this notion. I'm sure it's worked in a few place but we just don't see the evidence of this on forums, blogs, etc. I wish it were true, I really do. I have a couple losi things that I'd love to actually use once in awhile but they never brought anyone in or kept any interest up to continue with them.

There are rcp jumps and obstacles already made from the overland racing days which should suit these fine. I have not seen them sold in awhile though. Perhaps John can be convinced to make updates.

bermbuster
2011.08.11, 07:12 PM
What I saw when I lived in NJ...the micro t and its variants came out and we tried racing them. Making jumps and or obstacles that dont move and or wreak havoc on rcp was challenging. Since RCP has released offroad foam tiles. I have yet to see them or experience how they work. (are they still available?) The other issue is if only a few guys show up the cost factor comes in for the track/shop. I am a mini z maniac and I try to think positive......

What is funny now that Im on the west coast I noticed the blacktop is smoother than what we have on the east coast (mostly weather related issues) I have been running my mr-02 pan car in the parking lot of my apt complex. I put some tape on the bottom of the chassis. So running the new buggy outside will be awesome....
when are they releasing them???

JAC
2011.08.11, 08:03 PM
It will never compete with off-road racing, because they are simply too small.

If you mean they'll never be as successful as other off-road classes, you are right. But they don't need to be, and still be a hit in sales. Most of us don't compete yet we are still the majority, we make up the bulk of all sales. If we buy enough of them, they'll be a success. With this success in sales, competition will follow. As for being small, that has not stopped the Zs from being a very competitive class around the world.

JAC
2011.08.12, 07:35 AM
How about some motor drive-train speculation if they intend to make it a reasonably robust dirt platform. How many of us think they will just carry over the mini z specs over to the new buggy. Or will they give it a new more rigid and powerful motor. All of this based on the same battery-power layout(4 triple AAAs).:rolleyes:

arch2b
2011.08.12, 07:40 AM
little surprised it won't be using the LiFe cells. odd how they made these and then exclude them from all their events. it really could have been a saddle pack similar to the half eight.

JAC
2011.08.12, 07:54 AM
little surprised it won't be using the LiFe cells. odd how they made these and then exclude them from all their events. it really could have been a saddle pack similar to the half eight.

Certainly this would be the perfect moment to start offering the option(ifThey could still keep the AAAs) for us to change the battery configuration right of the bat. Yet they may also think this would distance the product from first time buyers(if they do away with the AAAs all together). Me personally like the option of extending the run time specially if they include a more powerful motor.

arch2b
2011.08.12, 07:57 AM
well, lets hope the battery compartments are LiFe compatible. those add some serious speed to a mini-z and i imagine would be great for the buggy. it could be very much like the half eight in that it would take 4 standard cells and cell packs.

JAC
2011.08.12, 08:27 AM
well, lets hope the battery compartments are LiFe compatible. those add some serious speed to a mini-z and i imagine would be great for the buggy. it could be very much like the half eight in that it would take 4 standard cells and cell packs.

Can you infer anything by just looking at the underside photos?

kyoshosan
2011.08.12, 08:48 AM
next big new's probable the Bike. Tube circulating in the web with it.

It could be.... but it could also be the new DSlot43 that hasn't been released yet...

http://kyoshosan.blogspot.com/2011/08/kyosho-dslot43.html

JAC
2011.08.12, 09:14 AM
It could be.... but it could also be the new DSlot43 that hasn't been released yet...

http://kyoshosan.blogspot.com/2011/08/kyosho-dslot43.html

Interesting that they decided to package it with track and controllers. Track looks 1/32ish but don't think they'll be compatible with other more common 1/32 tracks.

kyoshosan
2011.08.12, 09:31 AM
Interesting that they decided to package it with track and controllers. Track looks 1/32ish but don't think they'll be compatible with other more common 1/32 tracks.

It is 1/43 scale as dNaNos.

JAC
2011.08.12, 09:39 AM
It is 1/43 scale as dNaNos.

If you look closely at the pieces in the middle of the track with the cars on top, the cars seem to be a little to far from one another and from the edges. This track looks wider than the true 1/43 Carrera Go tracks. Which is a good thing!

180SX SR20
2011.08.12, 09:58 AM

Isn't the Mini Slash 1/16 scale. I was thinking about getting the Mini Slash VXL, but I'd rather stick with the Mini-Z community since Kyosho Headquarters/R246 Garage is not far from where I live and parts are easy to get. I think it would be pretty fun to run this little buggy outdoors and in the elements. Good point about development of a better AWD, btw.

JAC
2011.08.12, 10:27 AM
Kyosho Headquarters/R246 Garage is not far from where I live and parts are easy to get.

Lucky you!!!:D

CristianTabush
2011.08.12, 11:31 AM
If you mean they'll never be as successful as other off-road classes, you are right. But they don't need to be, and still be a hit in sales. Most of us don't compete yet we are still the majority, we make up the bulk of all sales. If we buy enough of them, they'll be a success. With this success in sales, competition will follow. As for being small, that has not stopped the Zs from being a very competitive class around the world.

The Mini-Z Racing market is not as big as you make it out to be. It is actually quite small, specially in the USA right now. I can think of maybe 6-8 clubs in the USA that are public where anyone can go race. It is not much different anywhere else, unless you are in France, Germany or Japan, where Mini-Z is the most popular for racing right now.

My point of view is straight racing, it is not about the general sales. This product will be "expensive" to the average consumer, who can buy a Traxxas slash for the same, if not less money. Again Mini-Z is a niche market, that only appeals to a very specific group of individuals. This buggy could bridge the gap to other hobbyists, if I lived in cold weather climates, I would push the agenda on these heavily for the winter. Especially if I have a club and especially since so many indoor tracks for larger scales are closing down.

As for the other Micro cars, I agree, they have not caught on. In part I think it is because of the scale. Mini-Z is a scale of its own, and perhaps the perfect small scale at that. If we take a look at the market, all the other cars have been either 1/24 or 1/36 and neither scale has every really stuck to be successful (maybe one is too small and the other is too big). We also don't promote them. Also, they use different electronics, where you would have to either use a different radio or attempt to find a module that works. It ends up being more expensive to run them. And let's not forget- Losi Vehicles ARE NOT MINI-Z.

As for jumps wreaking havoc on the RCP, I will disagree. We made some custom jumps a while back at our club and raced 18th scale offroad. It was awesome, it was fun and it brought out more people to race. It did not affect the track at all. There are ways to make good jumps.

RCP Jumps suck. They really do, they are more like bumps and are really not very usable. Simple cardboard or light wooden jumps work much better.

While I am not gonna say these cars are gonna re-invent the world of Mini-Z, I can see them fitting into our race programs if we try to incorporate them. Whatever shock waves come after that, we could make them a positive that bring out other manufacturer's cars to the tracks.

arch2b
2011.08.12, 11:52 AM
understood and again, this has all been repeated with the launch of all the other micro's and has yet to pan out. i don't think that because these are kyosho, it's going to be any better. if anything a bit more difficult due to typical higher entry cost. i've said all this myself each time a new exciting micro brought opportunity to bring offroad indoors. it just never pans out and in my opinion, mainly because no matter who makes what, ti's the micro scale that the big boys just never seem to get past. it's just another line of expensive toys to anyone that runs large scale offroad. i don't see that changing just because this is kyosho, in the mini-z line-up or looking like the optima. i want it to succeed, i really do but i'm not going to make claims anymore that this will do wonders anymore. experience has taught me that it's not as likely to happen as we or i hope it will or would.

bear in mind, this is heavily based on assumptions as we don't know the full specs or the pricing, availability and aftermarket support. either way, i'm sure the CA and NY guys will keep it alive. not so sure about the rest of us, where mini-z is much more sparse.

JAC
2011.08.12, 12:45 PM
The Mini-Z Racing market is not as big as you make it out to be. It is actually quite small, specially in the USA right now.
I get your view on the racing part, but remember that racing is not just a by product of the amount of people that share a common interest. Its more complicated than that. I don't know if numbers are out there but, worldwide I think this niche has picked up in the last couple of years(maybe the economy will slap me in the face soon). A company releasing a product determines at their time of their choosing if the have successfully met their expectations, based on sales. The only reason why we keep seeing new products in this niche is because it continues grow. If they were loosing money they would have abandoned it long ago. Opinions about a products success are really subjective, for the fun of conversing and exchanging ideas, more so if the product has not been released yet!:D

briankstan
2011.08.12, 01:24 PM
We are one of the few clubs that actively still race the Mini-Z Overlands. We have made several different jumps that we use on or under the RCP track. We’ve made different jumps like table tops, Larger jumps with a landing ramp, Rhythm sections with multiply jumps in a row, elevation changes, up and down bumps of varying heights. They are a real blast to race on and one of our most fun classes.

I could see this buggy fitting perfectly with what we do for our overland. I’ll be picking one up when they are released to give it a try. Could be fun and if it works out we will be looking to add them to our race schedule assuming the prices are ridiculously high.

arch2b
2011.08.12, 01:40 PM
also have to keep in mind that the organized segment of this market is the minority in my opinion. the average mini-z owner likely doesn't race competitively. i know i was part of the mod or tinker segment for the first 4 years or so before i even took to racing. i'm willing to bet majority of buggy owners will simply thrash them around the house and yard vs. going to a track or club.its much like forum participation in that 80%+ never post or are very inactive but are there and follow the activity.

kyoshosan
2011.08.12, 01:46 PM
We are one of the few clubs that actively still race the Mini-Z Overlands. We have made several different jumps that we use on or under the RCP track. We’ve made different jumps like table tops, Larger jumps with a landing ramp, Rhythm sections with multiply jumps in a row, elevation changes, up and down bumps of varying heights. They are a real blast to race on and one of our most fun classes.

Sounds fun :-) Any video of those races that we could look at ?

kyoshosan
2011.08.12, 01:54 PM
also have to keep in mind that the organized segment of this market is the minority in my opinion...

I think you guys are discussing the "sex of the angels" :-) There is no way to predict how this new Mini-Z Buggy will hit the market. In my opinion, one of greatest factors that would drive this and other Mini-Zs to success would be Kyosho Support behind them. How ? Mini-Z CUPs! Having a series of races spread out across the country w/ factory support and "Stock Classes", to privilege the driver and not the money, would help a lot! Kyosho Japan, Germany and France are very engaged on Mini-Z and no wonder they are a success on these countries.

My 2 cents...

Guinness
2011.08.12, 02:02 PM
We are one of the few clubs that actively still race the Mini-Z Overlands.

you guys are lucky. i have an ASF overland i wish i could race but i don't know anyone else that has one :(

JAC
2011.08.12, 04:19 PM
I've been very tempted to buy one after the 2.4s Overlands came out. I'd love to see a video of them racing too!

JAC
2011.08.12, 04:22 PM
also have to keep in mind that the organized segment of this market is the minority in my opinion. the average mini-z owner likely doesn't race competitively. i know i was part of the mod or tinker segment for the first 4 years or so before i even took to racing. i'm willing to bet majority of buggy owners will simply thrash them around the house and yard vs. going to a track or club.its much like forum participation in that 80%+ never post or are very inactive but are there and follow the activity.

Best example so far!

LED
2011.08.18, 04:07 AM
A local store here has received not 100% official prices.
For a kit incl transmitter: 239€
for a kit excl transmitter with body: 189€

For comparison: MR03 sauber set 32901AG : 199€
Prices come from kyosho Germany.

So it should be a little less then a MR03 car without transmitter.

Pierro
2011.08.31, 06:24 AM
Hi!

More pics found on the RCP sanda blog:

AWD diffs, motor on top, gyro...

Enjoy!

JAC
2011.08.31, 08:20 AM
Hi!

More pics found on the RCP sanda blog:

AWD diffs, motor on top, gyro...

Enjoy!

WOW,ZX-5.....:)...Wish I could read Japanese...:(

kryten
2011.08.31, 08:26 AM
I thought they were keeping the lazer secret until november lol
guess the cats outa the bag now!

kyoshosan
2011.08.31, 01:33 PM
It just keeps getting better and better!!! The new Lazer Mini-Z Buggy is so Sweeeeet!!

http://kyoshosan.blogspot.com/2011/08/stop-press-more-mini-z-buggy-news.html

akura2
2011.08.31, 02:09 PM
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!

imxlr8ed
2011.08.31, 02:55 PM
So what's the difference between the two? (besides tires & body)

Also... are they using the standard 2.4 ASF boards? My guess is no due the the plug locations and general wiring configuration.

arch2b
2011.08.31, 04:33 PM
i was going to inquire about the board myself as we still don't see that. i don't care what size it is, just glad to know it's mini-z asf 2.4 so we don't need yet another tx or module. the servo looks very complicated compared to a mini-z but i'm sure the true open wheel nature requires more robust engineering.

as suspected, the battery layout is very much like the half eight. to bad the LiFe doesn't come as an offset saddle pack.

had to tell what the differences are other than cosmetic parts like bumper, shell and wheels. i prefer the lazer only because i already have a half eight and it looks similar. never had the optima so no real connection to that particular buggy. crossing fingers they release the jpn armored vehicle shell.

ruf
2011.08.31, 05:55 PM
Oh I'm gonna have fun with this one... ;)

color01
2011.08.31, 06:00 PM
Driveshaft-friendly centered servo assembly.

Hang on folks, its' MRCG AWD time...

:eek:

lfisminiz
2011.08.31, 09:01 PM
Anybody know what the wheelbase is?

EMU
2011.08.31, 09:54 PM
Driveshaft-friendly centered servo assembly.

Hang on folks, its' MRCG AWD time...

:eek:

I like the sound of that ;)

I really like that Lazer...

bermbuster
2011.08.31, 10:22 PM
i need one of each.....i was at Kyosho this past weekend and they were talking about thr hop ups and tires to make it carpet/rcp friendly.....
It is 2.4 and will come as a complete rtr w kt18 or a buggy only....
I dont want to call it bind n drive because that is Losi terminology and it is not spektrum but 2.4 asf.....

njd13
2011.08.31, 10:22 PM
I wonder when it is going to come out...

kyoshosan
2011.08.31, 11:53 PM
I wonder when it is going to come out...

They are coming out on November 1st, according to Kyosho.

Me too I love the Lazer, looks so much more like the Inferno :-) But I will get both anyway... :-p

lfisminiz
2011.09.01, 05:28 AM
i need one of each.....i was at Kyosho this past weekend and they were talking about thr hop ups and tires to make it carpet/rcp friendly.....
It is 2.4 and will come as a complete rtr w kt18 or a buggy only....
I dont want to call it bind n drive because that is Losi terminology and it is not spektrum but 2.4 asf.....

Hey George......see if you can find out what the wheelbase is?:)

Pierro
2011.09.01, 05:41 AM
Hi!

Definitely good news...
About the specs, kyosho Germany has already the buggy listed on their website.

http://www.kyosho.de/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=23653&category_id=331f69ee66e1d5cc20af183c5ae9be96&ps_session=3e7j26ice9g8osbvom1pfv30g6&mod_title=product&setlang=deu#

http://www.kyosho.de/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=23724&category_id=331f69ee66e1d5cc20af183c5ae9be96&ps_session=3e7j26ice9g8osbvom1pfv30g6&mod_title=product&setlang=deu#

I'm really interested in the tires of the lazer. Looks more promising to me than those big spikes of the optima.

EMU
2011.09.01, 08:05 AM
According to the german site, the wheelbase is 114.5mm for both versions... It has the same overall length as the Losi Micro SCT/Rally car, but the wheelbase is about 15mm longer...

imxlr8ed
2011.09.01, 09:50 AM
I finally got around to getting an MR03 and now this little sucker is gonna be another dent in the wallet!

I know these are going to be a blast to run... I remember the great times we messed with the 2WDs, and I would think that 2 more driven wheels are only going to be twice the fun...

Mt. Dork:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=1219

Gasman's off-road converted Mini96:
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=1217

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=127&pictureid=1218

I would guess a MiniZ crawler is next right?

kyoshosan
2011.09.01, 11:00 AM
Wow!! Nice Track!! Where is it?

kyoshosan
2011.09.01, 11:01 AM
Tons of pictures of the new Mini-Z Buggy:

http://kyoshosan.blogspot.com/2011/09/tons-of-pictures-of-new-mini-z-buggy.html

benmlee
2011.09.01, 02:40 PM
Spec say is wider than the SCT at 105mm versus 94.5mm. That means there is no hope of putting a scale body on it without looking funny like the SCT rally car.
On the plus side, the drivetrain looks pretty well sealed. Base on the picture, steering has the potential to be well sealed too. Should be a fun car.

Nige55
2011.09.01, 05:37 PM
The whole launch is awesome, and my prayers have been answered with the Lazer. That thing looks incredible !!! I''m selling everything RC I own and will be investing it in these 2 ! I'll be having one optima, and at least 2 Lazers. I can see this being as with mini-z a whole scene unto itself. Well, I'll be buying into it with every penny I have ! Huge props. to Kyosho for doing what everyone dreamt of !! Thanks for the updates K-San, hontoni arrigatou ne !

kyoshosan
2011.09.01, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the updates K-San, hontoni arrigatou ne !

My pleasure guys!

I also agree w/ you. If there was something that Kyosho could do to the Mini-Z to ramp it up, it was it. I also expect the Mini-Z Buggy to be a great hit, specially now w/ that gorgeous Lazer version of it.

I'm even dreaming about an Inferno MP9 version of it... in the future ;-)

Well done KYOSHO!

J-Milz
2011.09.01, 08:17 PM
I recently caught the off road bug again with the rise of popularity in short course and my Losi 22. So I'm super excited about the mini buggy. Cant wait to see the aftermarket parts lineup and a short course version.

Is that a lexan body? Or auto scale quality clear body? That should be interesting. Now, RCP gotta produce brown table tops and rhythm sections. :)

herman
2011.09.01, 10:45 PM
thanks for the pics...
wouldn't have known it was a mini-z till i recognized the overland damper/spring assembly... are both bodies lexan? was hoping that somebody could post a (secret) video or something... :D

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UiMWRyG1zSY/Tl-fNhBBAzI/AAAAAAAAMFU/-DYAOVzXv7M/s640/f28c056783d540b689f04b2b114ea315.jpg

herman
2011.09.01, 10:51 PM
hmm... indicative price from the kyosho.de site that pierro gave...
189 euro = 269 usd (approx) time to go to see that money tree again... :D

kyoshosan
2011.09.01, 11:29 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XhOFGPnMviA/Tl5tf5z9bQI/AAAAAAAAMDk/9iUDeUfxN6Q/s1600/11_20110831162439.jpg

On this picture the show a lexan one for the Optima....

imxlr8ed
2011.09.02, 01:32 AM
Wow!! Nice Track!! Where is it?

Old event track we did time trials on back in 05... a spin-off from what we experienced at the Winter Challenge at Coram Long Island years back. The other was in Gasman's basement a while before that.

These buggies have to take off... sooner or later everyone is gonna realise how awesome small scale RC is. I know once the level of quality of Kyosho is experienced first hand, it creates true fans of the scale. I'm sure we will all still hear the same old lines though... how do you work on cars so small?... how tunable is something that tiny... they look like toys. I say it's their loss if they don't even try them. Meanwhile, we'll be running year round at our homes, garages, facilities.

I think if the bike comes out, Kyosho will have everything covered except for submarines in small scale. (don't get any ideas Kyosho!)

kyoshosan
2011.09.02, 10:21 AM
(don't get any ideas Kyosho!)

Oh Yes please do! :-) lol

imxlr8ed
2011.09.02, 11:40 AM
Great... I'm sure they're already working on an authentic Red October AutoScale right now. :rolleyes:

Rune
2011.09.02, 12:23 PM
Cant wait to get my hands on one:p

herman
2011.09.06, 04:35 AM
it's on the japanese kyosho site now...
optima (http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=108025)
http://www.kyosho.com/common/image.php?id=128149

lazer (http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=108029)
http://www.kyosho.com/common/image.php?id=128197

hmm... they will come as

- 17,325 yen No.32282BCRG Price Body / Chassis Set
- 22,890 yen Readyset No.32282RG price (including tax)

herman
2011.09.06, 04:41 AM
did a simple conversion
- 17,325 yen No.32282BCRG Price Body / Chassis Set (approx $224)
- 22,890 yen Readyset No.32282RG price (including tax) - (approx $296)

ouch... (does that make the kt-18 approx 72$?)

and comparing it to the euro...

indicative price from the kyosho.de site that pierro gave...
189 euro = 269 usd (approx)

briankstan
2011.09.06, 08:24 AM
Kyosho suggested retail prices are as follows for both

32281BW-B MB-010 OPTIMA Blue/White Readyset
Retail $409.99

32281BCBW-B MB-010 OPTIMA Body and Chassis set Blue/White (no radio)
Retail $309.99

32282RG-B MB-010 LAZER ZX-5 FS Red/Gray Readyset
Retail $409.99

32282BCRG-B MB-010 LAZER ZX-5 FS Body and Chassis set Red/Gray (no radio)
Retail $309.99

boohoo
2011.09.06, 10:06 AM
if there quoting those prices i cant see a lot of people buying one even if they have the kt18 or other compatible controllers. i would rather buy a losi sct/rally and the 2.4ghz setup it would work out alot cheaper than the kyosho setup

ChiMiniRc
2011.09.06, 11:47 AM
Kyosho suggested retail prices are as follows for both

32281BW-B MB-010 OPTIMA Blue/White Readyset
Retail $409.99

32281BCBW-B MB-010 OPTIMA Body and Chassis set Blue/White (no radio)
Retail $309.99

32282RG-B MB-010 LAZER ZX-5 FS Red/Gray Readyset
Retail $409.99

32282BCRG-B MB-010 LAZER ZX-5 FS Body and Chassis set Red/Gray (no radio)
Retail $309.99

Remember, the Mr-03 retails for $279.99 but we usually see them in the $170-180 range.

I put the Buggy with no radio around $239 and the Readyset around $299.

briankstan
2011.09.06, 12:01 PM
Remember, the Mr-03 retails for $279.99 but we usually see them in the $170-180 range.

I put the Buggy with no radio around $239 and the Readyset around $299.

This is true, we'll have to see what the "street" price is going to be. I've only posted what the Kyosho Suggested retail pricing is. I'm hoping for a lower "street" price as well.

ChiMiniRc
2011.09.06, 12:22 PM
This is true, we'll have to see what the "street" price is going to be. I've only posted what the Kyosho Suggested retail pricing is. I'm hoping for a lower "street" price as well.

If it helps, MAP has already been established in U.S. Dollars. I just don't know what the plans are for the dealers. They have the numbers and I figure sites like TinyRC will post what they plan on charging when they are ready.

briankstan
2011.09.06, 12:39 PM
I think if they keep them in the mini-z price range they are where they should be, if they are in the dnano price range (biggest thing against it) I see it as an up hill battle. Time will tell of course, but in a hard economy I see them as as a new unproven market. They are calling them a mini-z, but are actually not the mini-z scale. I wonder if that was a marketing thing, to drum up interest from the mini-z community. I believe it worked, but time will tell if the Z community embraces it. I personally think they are cool, but would my whole Z club buy one? I'll have to get a hold of on and see what the other think of them first hand.

PNracing
2011.09.06, 12:52 PM
The Kyosho MAP is

289.99 and 229.99

ChiMiniRc
2011.09.06, 01:15 PM
The Kyosho MAP is

289.99 and 229.99
Correct. :)

A note about the readyset.

Although pictures show the black kt-18, the Kyoshosan blog show pictures of the standard silver wheel kt-18 being packaged. Kyosho America has yet to confirm which radio will in fact, be in the readyset.

briankstan
2011.09.06, 01:17 PM
Thanks Philip. :)

WorldClassZ
2011.09.06, 02:00 PM
Correct. :)

A note about the readyset.

Although pictures show the black kt-18, the Kyoshosan blog show pictures of the standard silver wheel kt-18 being packaged. Kyosho America has yet to confirm which radio will in fact, be in the readyset.

Other than the colour difference are there any actual differences in capabilities between the two units?

arch2b
2011.09.06, 02:16 PM
the F1 isn't mini-z scale either so they are not really strict with the line. autoscales aren't even all the same scale so i'm sure no one will care to much if the buggy is slightly off mini-z scale as there is no one solid rule on it anyway. mini-z scale range between 1/24 and 1/30.
f1=1/24
buggy 1/24
racer=1/27
awd=1/27
overland=1/28
monster=1/30

i'm liking what i see so far but i really want to see how it performs. how well does the suspension work? how is the weight balance for racing and jumps? is it a tedious beast to tune like the ma-010? are the shafts going to snap or strip like twigs? is chassis at this scale rigid enough for open wheel racing? i'm sure kyosho has run them through for bench marking but actual use varies:p

arch2b
2011.09.06, 03:19 PM
fyi, i have a poll (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36980) up on choice between optima/lazer and chassis set/ready to run, please stop by and make your mark. :p

arch2b
2011.09.11, 08:33 AM
Did anyone else see that the optima is out the 1st and the laser us out the 30th? Just want to make sure.

EMU
2011.09.11, 08:51 AM
I heard the 1st for Optima, and 22nd for Lazer in Japan.

tastetickles
2011.09.12, 07:26 AM
Dang these little babies are expensive

ChiMiniRc
2011.09.12, 10:27 AM

Yeah, I was dreaming MR-02EX prices. I was hoping Mr-03 prices. It would make sense they are 2.4ghz MA-010 price range.

J-Milz
2011.09.12, 07:33 PM

RCKenon has them already for pre order. Theyre asking $239 for the car (lazer) $289 for radio kt-18 and car. My preorder is already in. Now just need a place to race!

m3nd3s
2011.09.13, 08:34 AM
I pre-ordered the lazer:cool:

the-border,com has them listed for 189 euros (car only)
and 239 (car +tx)!

can't wait!

arch2b
2011.09.13, 01:13 PM
pre-orders are up at the shop here as well.

All four are now available for pre-order with worldwide release on November 1st! :)

Kyosho Mini-Z MB-010 1/24 Lazer ZX-5 FS 4WD Buggy ReadySet (2.4GHz ASF) - Red/Gray (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=21655&cat=516&page=1)
Kyosho Mini-Z MB-010 1/24 Lazer ZX-5 FS 4WD Buggy Tx-Less Body and Chassis Set (2.4GHz ASF) - Red/Gray (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=21656&cat=516&page=1)
Kyosho Mini-Z MB-010 1/24 Optima 4WD Buggy ReadySet (2.4GHz ASF) - Blue/White (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=21653&cat=516&page=1)
Kyosho Mini-Z MB-010 1/24 Optima 4WD Buggy Tx-Less Body and Chassis Set (2.4GHz ASF) - Blue/White (http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=21654&cat=516&page=1)

Pierro
2011.09.14, 10:34 AM
Hi!

These two vids shown up on the minirc forum (french forum):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypr2i9kLAJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJRG8eRDabk

I'm looking forward to have one in my hand.

briankstan
2011.09.14, 12:40 PM
thanks for posting up those videos. It looks to handle jumps pretty well. I noticed just a little bounce when jumping over the 1/8 buggy but nothing uncontrollable.

Mania
2011.09.15, 10:25 PM
I was impressed by how well it took the curb, and how it shrugged off the steep side of the road.

njd13
2011.09.15, 10:37 PM
I hope they a make a truggy version (thicker and taller tires, and a truggy body)

kyoshosan
2011.09.16, 11:47 PM
I hope they a make a truggy version (thicker and taller tires, and a truggy body)

Depending on the success of the Mini-Z Buggy, I bet they will :-)

Nige55
2011.09.17, 04:54 PM
Depending on the success of the Mini-Z Buggy, I bet they will :-)

Kyoshosan, by the way your blog is awesome, the photo updates on these buggies is absolutely fantastic ! Just saw today the option house upgrades, the updates are really getting me excited about these !! Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the great work !

RCPMini-z
2011.09.17, 08:17 PM
RCKenon has them already for pre order. Theyre asking $239 for the car (lazer) $289 for radio kt-18 and car. My preorder is already in. Now just need a place to race!

I have some on pre-order as well. Can't wait.

J-Milz
2011.09.17, 09:22 PM
I wonder if this would fit the round can Atomic motors? I'd also like to see new tire choices similiar to the AKA REBARS...

kyoshosan
2011.09.17, 11:54 PM
Kyoshosan, by the way your blog is awesome, the photo updates on these buggies is absolutely fantastic ! Just saw today the option house upgrades, the updates are really getting me excited about these !! Just wanted to say thanks and keep up the great work !

Thanks! I really appreciate :-)

Eman
2011.09.18, 12:29 AM

+1 Nice work.

LED
2011.09.18, 02:49 PM
here is another youtube movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06hdbHAJUxM&feature=related

kyoshosan
2011.09.18, 03:56 PM
The Videos Everyone was waiting for: Mini-Z Buggy on RCP Track!

http://kyoshosan.blogspot.com/2011/09/videos-everyone-was-waiting-for-mini-z.html

RCPMini-z
2011.09.18, 04:35 PM
Is that on the smooth side or textured side? Doesn't look like there is any issues with traction roll, as can happen with larger tires and more rubber to surface contact.

Thanks for sharing. Hoping to get some video myself of the buggy on the RCP offroad tracks, currently made for Losi.

bobbyz
2011.09.18, 05:41 PM
another good video. looks pretty fast going up and down the stairs. some nice driving skills at the very end o:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVzWgpWEAzU&feature=related

kyoshosan
2011.09.18, 08:32 PM
Is that on the smooth side or textured side? Doesn't look like there is any issues with traction roll, as can happen with larger tires and more rubber to surface contact.

Thanks for sharing. Hoping to get some video myself of the buggy on the RCP offroad tracks, currently made for Losi.

I'm looking forward for these videos :-)

EMU
2011.09.19, 03:58 AM
Im pretty sure thats not RCP in the video... just anti fatigue mats... looks like it has good mechanical grip though. Cant wait to get my hands on it and try it out. :p

Pierro
2011.09.19, 04:35 AM
Hi!

Yes, Emu's right, it's not RCP but a sort of foam tiles used to support fitness equipment sold in a sport shop here in europe. It's called DF900.

From what I know, the grip is rather close to the soft side of RCP but a bit less. Thus far less than the rough side.

Guinness
2011.09.19, 10:32 AM
how do those guys have the buggies already? employee's of Kyosho?

Eman
2011.09.20, 02:10 PM
The more I see, the more I want that Lazer for some winter time basement fun!!

EMU
2011.09.20, 05:08 PM
What I want to know, is Kyosho going to be developing a new Mini-Z AWD chassis based on the buggy platform. With A-arm front and rear, with a balanced chassis. This makes me very excited, almost as excited as I was when I first saw the AWD...

unearthed name
2011.09.21, 02:02 AM
i was thinking an all new AWD platform with belt and central diff.

color01
2011.09.21, 02:40 AM
Belts don't really play well at this scale efficiency-wise. Shafts put a lot more power to the ground and also take up less space, so I can't see Kyosho doing anything but shaft drive AWD. That said, if they can shorten this platform to 94mm or shorter wheelbase I would love to see a new, balanced on-road AWD as well.

herman
2011.09.22, 05:36 AM
from kyosho's site....

Precision high-performance chassis launches the palmtop size Lazer ZX-5 FS!
New generation 4x4 MINI-Z chassis creates spectacular racing action!
Having earned the trust of off-road buggy fans, the LAZER ZX-5 FS has lost none of its world-class performance in its relaunch as a palmtop size racing buggy. The precision compact chassis features a shaft driven 4WD with a two-differential drive train incorporating a slipper clutch to protect gears with oil shocks on the 4-wheel independent double wishbone suspension, just like a true 1/10 racing buggy. The result is the exceptional performance expected of a 1/10 off road racer, but concentrated into a racing machine that fits on the palm of your hand and the best off-road performance achieved in the history of the MINI-Z. With most of the precision components protected within the dirt-proof shell, the chassis has the rigidity and durability for hardcore off-road action. Based on the MINI-Z Racer, control circuit board has been tuned for off-road with a special separated design. The ICS function allows precision setting adjustment of controls including the optional gyro unit through your PC while the Chase Mode feature fires up the intensity of racing action. Also, the newly designed steering servo is equipped with 7-stage gearing. High torque and precision control combine to produce the MINI-Z’s characteristic steering feel and linear control. As the LAZER ZX-5 FS body is pre-painted, just add batteries for this racing buggy with the latest MINI-Z technology to start ripping up your nearest dirt track.

click here (http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/detail.html?product_id=108029)

Eman
2011.09.22, 12:55 PM
I wonder if the chase mode can be deactivated.

briankstan
2011.09.22, 01:43 PM
I wonder if the chase mode can be deactivated.

if it's anything like the chase mode on the MR-03 boards. I comes deactivated and would need to be activated by the user via ICS in order to use the function. you would also need a 3 channel TX. it looks like the bundled TX's are the KT-18. you cannot use the chase mode with that TX.

RCPMini-z
2011.09.22, 02:01 PM
Already working with the RCX organizers for the 2012 Long Beach, California show to build something special for the Mini-z Buggy.

180SX SR20
2011.09.23, 12:13 AM
Local hobby shops have them for preorder/sale. The paying price is in red.

http://www(dot)hs-tamtam(dot)co.jp/item-58157.html

Felix2010
2011.09.23, 03:17 AM
Local hobby shops have them for preorder/sale. The paying price is in red.

http://www.hs-tamtam.co.jp/item-58157.html

The price in RED is “SALE PRICE”…. Oh yeah, and it’s not much of a “Sale”… :)

With today’s currency exchange 16023 YEN equals about $210 US Dollars.

Kevin S.
2011.09.23, 12:22 PM
Thanks to Kyoshosan, here is the link to his blog with another video of the buggies :D

http://kyoshosan.blogspot.com/

Thank you Kyoshosan for always bringing us the latest news :D

kyoshosan
2011.09.23, 09:45 PM
Thanks to Kyoshosan, here is the link to his blog with another video of the buggies :D

http://kyoshosan.blogspot.com/

Thank you Kyoshosan for always bringing us the latest news :D

Thanks Kevin, my pleasure :-)

mugler
2011.09.27, 05:02 AM
Not sure if this link from redrc was posted here before but here are some detailed shots of the internals:

http://www.redrc.net/2011/09/kyosho-mini-z-zx-5-fs-optima-buggies/#more-46983

180SX SR20
2011.09.29, 01:39 AM
The price in RED is “SALE PRICE”…. Oh yeah, and it’s not much of a “Sale”… :)

With today’s currency exchange 16023 YEN equals about $210 US Dollars.

...its better than what you guys are paying ($289.99) LOL!

mini-z
2011.10.15, 05:47 PM
Just a reminder, today is the last day for the free Gift Certificate when you pre-order your MB-010 Buggy (http://shop.tinyrc.com/search.php?mode=search&by_title=Y&by_shortdescr=Y&by_fulldescr=Y&by_sku=Y&extra_fields[1]=Y&including=all&substring=lazer+zx-5+buggy+2.4) from shop.tinyrc.com! ;):) (don't worry, everyone that already pre-ordered will automatically receive theirs, no further action required! :))

Nige55
2011.10.16, 03:23 PM
Thanks again to Kyoshosan, those updates have got me so excited about these buggies ! In fact, - so excited that last week I sold all of my RC stuff (yes, absolutely everything !) so I can totally invest into the mini z buggy line up ! I'll be buying everything and anything related to these new buggies. Thats what you call effective marketing !
I still have to ask though (not to take away anything from the buggies), but what was the 'even bigger release' that was due at the Tokyo hobby show ? Has it been announced yet ? Just out of curiosity.
If (in my wildest dreams) it happened to be a dnano-sized / based 2wd micro Ultima or such like, I will start having to put my organs up for sale on ebay, LOL !:p

kyoshosan
2011.10.16, 11:47 PM
Thanks again to Kyoshosan, those updates have got me so excited about these buggies ! ...Thats what you call effective marketing !

Thanks! I hope Kyosho hears that and hire me to work for them :):):)

I still have to ask though (not to take away anything from the buggies), but what was the 'even bigger release' that was due at the Tokyo hobby show ? Has it been announced yet ? Just out of curiosity.

I'm also equally curious to know what that might be.... :)

If (in my wildest dreams) it happened to be a dnano-sized / based 2wd micro Ultima or such like, I will start having to put my organs up for sale on ebay, LOL !:p

:):):) LOL

arch2b
2011.10.25, 04:20 PM
Kyosho USA is telling us only the Optima will arrive for the worldwide release which is consistent with other reports providing staggered release dates. just wanted to confirm that Kyosho USA will not have the Lazer at the time of worldwide release. those of you whom only pre-ordered the lazer, will have to wait a bit longer:(

kryten
2011.10.25, 04:37 PM
Kyosho Europe is saying the same thing. They are expecting the lazer in time for christmas,not Kyosho's stated release date November 22nd.

cdog4w
2011.10.26, 02:34 PM
Arch, want to clarify for the US? I had already seen the two release dates, nov 1 for optima, nov 22 for lazer. Are you saying what kryten is, that they're slipping the nov 22 date for the lazer?

Also, do we know what parts differ between the buggies? The obvious parts are wheels, body and wing+mounts, but is there much more? Should I just snag an optima and get the parts to convert later?

arch2b
2011.10.26, 03:34 PM
until recently, retailers were told there was a single release date for the entire product line, despite what was being said on other sites.

as most know, retailers have restrictions placed on them regarding pre-orders relating to time of purchase and delivery of product and domestic retailers were provided anticipated release dates upon which pre-order sales were initiated. i cannot confirm specific dates at this point but i can say that you should not expect to see the Lazer in the U.S. before the end of November at the earliest. why this is an issue for U.S. retailers? they now have to figure out how to resolve pre-orders for a product that may not be delivered within time limitations (debit/credit payment forms).
while those avid readers where seeing separate release dates already being reported, retailers are not getting the same information from manufacturer. these things happen as we all know but is a frustration and hassle for retailers to deal with as well. lets just say that the european market is getting information quicker than the U.S. market as usual.

Buggy Manual (http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/mini-z/pdf/Mini-Z_Buggy_IM.pdf)

Buggy Parts List (http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/mini-z/pdf/Mini-Z_Buggy_SP.pdf)

Buggy Exploded View (http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/mini-z/pdf/Mini-Z_Buggy_EX.pdf)

bermbuster
2011.10.27, 12:59 AM
I got to run both buggies.....
I actually wanted the Lazer but after driving them on carpet i liked the Optima more....

imxlr8ed
2011.10.27, 09:40 AM
Motor fets on their own board? Steering and reciever on the other?
Brushless ESC possibilities?

Maybe not, looks like the juice for the steering and the motor go through the same unit. And here I was hoping for a tiny stand-alone ASF reciever.

Be real curious to see the electronics.

miniznewb
2011.10.27, 01:19 PM
Hey ed I hope ur starting to lay out an off-road track for these guys.

imxlr8ed
2011.10.27, 02:35 PM
Takes about an hour, some cardboard and duct tape. ;)

lfisminiz
2011.10.27, 03:52 PM
Hey ed I hope ur starting to lay out an off-road track for these guys.

We did it before for the Overlanders.....this will be MUCH better!;):)

mini-z
2011.10.27, 09:33 PM
Arch, want to clarify for the US? I had already seen the two release dates, nov 1 for optima, nov 22 for lazer. Are you saying what kryten is, that they're slipping the nov 22 date for the lazer?

Also, do we know what parts differ between the buggies? The obvious parts are wheels, body and wing+mounts, but is there much more? Should I just snag an optima and get the parts to convert later?

Yes, the date is now December due to production delays. I for one will definitely be going Optima in order to get my hands on a buggy in any form vs. waiting for weeks for the Lazer and right now that's what I'd recommend to our customers too. I will post any other updates we receive to this thread as soon as we get them.

cdog4w
2011.10.28, 04:32 PM
Changed my order to optima for same reason as mini-z :)

I also confirmed with Kyosho America that it's wheels/tires/body/wing that are different, so it should be an easy change once the lazer parts hit market. The optima manuals didn't help much on that front, but thanks for linking them arch!

bermbuster
2011.10.29, 09:29 AM
Takes about an hour, some cardboard and duct tape. ;)

these guys are much heavier than an overlander or mm so you better have that military 400mph duct tape....:D
I mean heavier in a good solid way......:cool:

mdowney
2011.10.31, 03:07 PM
I should be getting my two Optimas this week! Drove one a while back and was blown away by how well they handled and jumped. The spiked tires did fine on a carpet track. This thing is gonna be a blast.

reaper
2011.10.31, 07:09 PM
thanks to jayce over at minirc mine will be here in the morning :D

kryten
2011.11.01, 07:40 AM
thanks to jayce over at minirc mine will be here in the morning :D

You're welcome :)

mini-z
2011.11.02, 06:35 PM
Yes, the date is now December due to production delays. I for one will definitely be going Optima in order to get my hands on a buggy in any form vs. waiting for weeks for the Lazer and right now that's what I'd recommend to our customers too. I will post any other updates we receive to this thread as soon as we get them.

Optima Mini-Z Buggy is now in stock...and then some...come get 'em:

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/780/Mini-Z_Buggy_In_Stock.jpg

:D

Deca
2011.11.02, 11:47 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/673787.jpg

Am I the first to do it? :cool:

Had fun breaking these guys in this evening. As a heads up to everyone getting one, put some duct tape or something similar up inside the rear bit of the body, where the pin goes through it. These cracked very quickly after some rollovers but with a bit of tape in there it kept the already cracked ones from getting any worse and seemed to prevent the OK one from cracking at all.

May have some stupid videos up soon if a certain someone decides to cut down and upload them :p

kyoshosan
2011.11.03, 12:15 AM
Am I the first to do it? :cool:

No, but it is a great idea :)

http://kyoshosan.blogspot.com/2011/10/mini-z-buggy-on-awd-wheels.html

Deca
2011.11.03, 12:18 AM

Look closer, they're drift tires ;)

kyoshosan
2011.11.03, 12:29 AM
Look closer, they're drift tires ;)

Nice!!! Show us some videos :)

Deca
2011.11.03, 12:40 AM
Unfortunately my batteries were pretty much empty from running in the basement all evening. I'll see if I can get some videos soon! It's interesting with the drift tires, the handling is much slower than with an MA010, might actually be able to pull some nice looking drifts.

tudor_47
2011.11.09, 02:41 AM
Anyone that has disected one of these yet?

i like to see pics of the inside, electronics, servo,...

thanks!

mugler
2011.11.09, 03:35 AM

thanks!

from post #144:

http://www.redrc.net/2011/09/kyosho-mini-z-zx-5-fs-optima-buggies/#more-46983

kryten
2011.11.09, 05:44 AM

thanks!

How about on this very forum??

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37214

ivanmartin18
2011.11.11, 12:39 PM

Maybe it's a stupid question but... does the F1 tyres fit the Optima rims?

Regards!

ZBest
2011.11.12, 03:01 PM
Anyone know what size spur and pinion gear comes stock in the buggy. Does it come with option spur and pinion sizes?

hilldebrandt
2011.11.16, 07:50 PM
Just got mine in the mail today from TinyRC ! :D

F1 tires will NOT fit on these...it's a completely different rim.

Don't know what size pinion and spur are on the car yet, but a 13 and 15 tooth pinion come with the kit, plus a 33 tooth spur gear.

The car looks good so far !!:cool:

lfisminiz
2011.11.16, 10:27 PM
Ok Gregg, get your butt over to Eds and show us!!! Im getting the Lazer so i got a little wait. I know Eds interested too. That will make a couple of us.;)

arch2b
2011.11.28, 09:43 PM
FYI, both buggy kits are on sale in the shop! :eek:

ub0211042
2011.12.10, 02:39 AM
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/support/instructionmanual/mini-z/miniz_buggy.html :D

Frufo
2011.12.21, 09:11 AM
Awesome Short Course Body for the Mini-Z Buggy

http://www.ts-tuning.com/sc.html

GIHOSU
2011.12.21, 10:10 AM
Awesome Short Course Body for the Mini-Z Buggy

http://www.ts-tuning.com/sc.html

That body looks really good, I may need one of those too...

lfisminiz
2011.12.24, 01:18 AM
Hers a pic of a Lazer buggy with the Optima body on it (only non painted body so far), with a custom paint job on it.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/lfisminiz/PC230949.jpg

lfisminiz
2011.12.24, 01:21 AM
Hers another pic with a Lazer buggy with a Losi stadium truck body with a custom paint job.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/lfisminiz/PC240955.jpg

EMU
2011.12.24, 03:04 AM
Both the buggy and truck look great :)

kyoshosan
2011.12.24, 11:23 AM
Nicely Done! Thanks for sharing w/ us :-)

lfisminiz
2011.12.24, 09:40 PM
THanks guys and no problem!:)

machgo5go
2011.12.31, 10:35 AM
I find these buggy to be somewhat annoying in easily steering tie rod pops out of the servo from wheels hitting RCP barrier and very time consuming to get it back in place.

lfisminiz
2011.12.31, 11:09 AM
I find these buggy to be somewhat annoying in easily steering tie rod pops out of the servo from wheels hitting RCP barrier and very time consuming to get it back in place.

Eddie,
Dont worry my freind....just like most other chassis...couple of hop ups etc...should take care of this stuff.:)
On a side note, i have the rally body in the paint shop. should have it ready by next weekend for pics.;):)

kryten
2011.12.31, 12:31 PM

Turning down the gain in ICS will help,but the alloy tie rod upgrade cures it completely. :D

pomme de terre
2011.12.31, 02:17 PM
Turning down the gain in ICS will help,but the alloy tie rod upgrade cures it completely. :D

Is this a Kyosho part? I too find it super annoying.

kryten
2011.12.31, 02:45 PM
Yes it is,the alloy tiebars come in a set of 5. +2,+1,0,-1,-2 and in red or gold.

targetingxmod
2012.01.01, 06:46 PM
Hers a pic of a Lazer buggy with the Optima body on it (only non painted body so far), with a custom paint job on it.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/lfisminiz/PC230949.jpg

oh my GOD! Oh my God! Oh my GOD!

Jesus!

that thing is so beautiful. Can i ask marriage with that? so beautiful!
sell the ideia to Kyosho!

thanks for sharing!

targetingxmod
2012.01.01, 06:47 PM
Hers another pic with a Lazer buggy with a Losi stadium truck body with a custom paint job.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/lfisminiz/PC240955.jpg

Can you share a picture of the body post's? and a little explain how to do it?
thanks

lfisminiz
2012.01.01, 09:31 PM
Thanks!:) Heres pics from an earlier post that is similar to what i did.
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37323&page=4

oXYnary
2012.01.06, 02:20 AM
What is the stock rear toe in? 1,2 or 3 degree?

Also making sure that part numbers mbw025r-? Are for the rear as the kyosho site lists front (which wouldn't make much sense).

Rune
2012.01.06, 05:26 AM
I replaced the stock rear mount with a 2 degree toe unit, and it is definetly more toe than stock.

I guess the stock configuration is 1 degree toe.

Correct part numbers are:
MBW024 (G or R) Front
MBW025-(0-1-2-3) (G or R) Rear

Here's my ride now.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gQm2tKsZLCw/TwdEF1XOO0I/AAAAAAAAD9A/zN-IR-Tyt3s/s640/IMG_8297%252520-%252520Kopi.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yYgcxxsml2E/TwdEGR1XZJI/AAAAAAAAD9E/yNvR1jDt5VI/s640/IMG_8303%252520-%252520Kopi.JPG (http://www.mini-znorway.com/2012/01/mini-z-buggy-new-kyosho-option-parts.html)

lfisminiz
2012.01.06, 09:37 PM
Aluminum pieces look great! Waiting for PN to make parts but the Kyosho looks good.:)

pomme de terre
2012.01.08, 12:16 AM
Yes it is,the alloy tiebars come in a set of 5. +2,+1,0,-1,-2 and in red or gold.

Thanks a lot for this tip! I didn't have the tie rod pop out today at all, even after hitting the RCP barriers pretty hard.

A bunch of us split a pack at our local track so it ended up being pretty cheap too, only $6 for a tierod.

lfisminiz
2012.01.08, 08:38 PM
The buggy with a Losi Rally Car body. The Losi Truck body, i think looks a little better but this is a nice change of pace.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/lfisminiz/P1081000.jpg
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/lfisminiz/P1081001.jpg

machgo5go
2012.01.08, 09:24 PM
Not bad.
I wish body can be dropped in height.

lfisminiz
2012.01.08, 09:31 PM
Eddie, was about to PM you...you beat me to it.;)
You can lower it. I was thinking about keeping body where it is now for total suspension travel...BUT i forgot to go by when the chassis bottoms out which means it can go lower for sure if that helps. When time permits...ill re-do it.:)

oXYnary
2012.01.12, 11:12 PM
The Toyz has a case that fits the Buggy.. Not linking since its competition with TinyRC.

arch2b
2012.01.13, 07:59 AM
manufacturer? product name/number? looks like a very good fit.:)

oXYnary
2012.01.15, 02:03 AM
Has anyone found something small enough to use as a replacement wing? Painting a Optima Body and need to paint wing at same time.

Q t
2012.01.16, 08:19 PM
has anybody else done this to their buggy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9htjKOXLpk&feature=channel_video_title

he hides how he moded it in the pics

http://www(dot)facebook(dot)com/media/set/?set=a.230232310386655.55303.100001996648802&type=1&l=4ebf7bf07a

oXYnary
2012.01.18, 08:02 PM
Just got that bag part # toyz 444. Fits pretty well. Has enough room that I can fit my charger as well as a few parts/batteries.

Need to get some losi dots for the space under the car.